Runningbacks have been terrible since Lynch left

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I'm toting this line to my next senseless meeting.

I just read it! <drops mic>

Millen Hawk

Reaction score
Don't forget that the other factor that has not been mentioned is that at the same time that Lynch got hurt and eventually left...we also lost Okung. And while I am fully expecting to get the wrath of the .net for even mentioning his name but when he was healthy he was a great run blocker.

Before you tear into me, take a look at 2015 when Rawls came in for Lynch and notice how many of his big run are to the left side. Especially during the Bengals game.

Hopefully Brown will be around next year and we can get our running game going again.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Fournette bullying the rapeyburgers right now and the Jags' play action is leaving wide open WRs and TEs

That was once familiar.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Collins was an afterthought here and very good in Baltimore, amazing what a competent line will do for a back.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3guw0dtv said:
Fournette bullying the rapeyburgers right now and the Jags' play action is leaving wide open WRs and TEs

That was once familiar.

You jinxed it lol

vin.couve12

Reaction score
SixSeahawk":326movey said:
vin.couve12":326movey said:

That was once familiar.

You jinxed it lol
Lol

Yeldon is doing good, but it also seemed like the PIT D is now widening out and shooting gaps. Jags D just scored though and it's probably not the only 6 that D gets today. PIT is now one dimensional and will get desperate.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I keep jinxing it. That D just stopped playing. Horrible tackling and coverage. PIT can now go back to any gameplan.

Kung Fury wouldn't have let this happen...

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ryan, Rapeyburger, and now Brees all lost to no name QBs/Better teams this weekend. Brady is going down next week.

MIN/JAX Superbowl. Defense, running the football, and QBs who are good enough.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Running backs haven't necessarily been terrible, the coaching has, ala zone blocking. That and we've had some very unfortunate luck with injuries. If Pete claims he wants to get back to the running game like 2012/13/14 Derrius Guice will be available at #18.

I REALLY REALLY hope Pete chills out with these reach picks on guys that may or may not pan out.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Derrius Guice remind anyone else of Marshawn?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The talent at RB is adequate but not special, except potentially Carson and it is way too soon to know for sure about him. For sure the pile could be deeper. This will be a great draft to deepen the pile.

Don’t think the team has been weak at finding good prospects, but for sure believe the scheme/run blocking was the problem. Someone earlier said they all were Cabevelled.

All the players here have potential save Lacy (who is gone anyway) who has been terrible for > 2 seasons and was a huge mistake to have added.

I think Rawls has been screwed up by Cable b/c he was better earlier than he is now. In his case I truly believe he was a talented RB who ran hard and who still has his burst and quickness but is struggling mentally b/c he wants to recreate his earlier success and has failed to come back from his injuries which I believe to be totally resolved. Frankly I suspect he will not be back and it might be better for him to move on but Davis will as will McKissic.

Prosise is a mystery as he always is hurt and despite enormous potential is down to one last preseason to show he might stay healthy, If not C-Ya CJ.

EDIT: corrected spelling

chris98251

Reaction score
Hard to knock our RB's yet given the poor line play and type of run scheme we used, as we have seen our backs move on and have success in a power run scheme, and yes that can be a ZBS as well with a different emphasis on assignments, we used it some already when push came to shove and had good results with a adequate to good FB. If our RB's can just do what comes naturally and hit a hole and not wait for guys to get into position or miss their assignments and they get a down hill start we could see a nice surprise happen, Davis, Rawls, McKissic all have a different style but have a quick step and burst into the hole, Carson being the more one cut and run power type guys that gets going quickly. Prosise is an enigma, I still think his best position may be slot, bigger Golden Tate actually.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chris98251":3i5rb2f1 said:
Hard to knock our RB's yet given the poor line play and type of run scheme we used, as we have seen our backs move on and have success in a power run scheme, and yes that can be a ZBS as well with a different emphasis on assignments, we used it some already when push came to shove and had good results with a adequate to good FB. If our RB's can just do what comes naturally and hit a hole and not wait for guys to get into position or miss their assignments and they get a down hill start we could see a nice surprise happen, Davis, Rawls, McKissic all have a different style but have a quick step and burst into the hole, Carson being the more one cut and run power type guys that gets going quickly. Prosise is an enigma, I still think his best position may be slot, bigger Golden Tate actually.

Your post is absolutely right on. The blame was clearly on scheme and weak OLine play. There is another thread indicating Reece wanted to return to the team and had been brought back yet the younger less experienced Madden was reactivated from IR. This to me indicated Cable didn’t want to allow a return to the power scheme employed when Rawls as being successful all year long despite consistent failure his ZBS variation was the mandated scheme with league low results. It was clear Cable had to go. It was clear Bevell should have been gone much before.

Your assessments above are all right on as far as the players are concerned. To me Prosise is one of those players who gets coaches and GMs into trouble. He has genuine talent but malingers with injuries and his unavailability has now got to a degree where talented or not the one thing he must prove to stay is he can be depended upon to show up for games rather than be constantly a trainer’s room player. His obvious talent keeps him as a wasted roster spot who if cut goes elsewhere and wakes up. McKissic is more valuable to the team than Prosise for just that reason of reliability. The suggestion of using Prosise as a slot receiver type player to allow him not to get boo boos though may work but sort of telegraphs his use unless he is converted back to WR exclusively. Talented or not the team needs him fish or cut bait this coming season.