Kelenic in left field?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
On the surface it seems like a good idea, but then I was watching him make that play to the plate and it occurred to me, that perhaps a lefty shouldn't play left field, here's why. Though they may have a slight advantage in reach, the time it takes them to pivot around and get a good throw takes a lot longer than a righty, since the right handed thrower would already be in position to throw. Kelenic had to pivot 360 degrees to make that throw...IDK, what do you think?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
On the surface it seems like a good idea, but then I was watching him make that play to the plate and it occurred to me, that perhaps a lefty shouldn't play left field, here's why. Though they may have a slight advantage in reach, the time it takes them to pivot around and get a good throw takes a lot longer than a righty, since the right handed thrower would already be in position to throw. Kelenic had to pivot 360 degrees to make that throw...IDK, what do you think?
He’s actually a center fielder that can play all 3 spots. I’d prefer him in right if Julio is in center as he has a gun for an arm.

sutz

Reaction score
Not sure if his throwing side is that big of a deal. He covers a lot of ground and has a decent arm, at least. He was playing right field until we signed Hernandez. Maybe they think the extra step of coverage is better with lefty in left and righty in right out weighs any throwing restrictions. 🤷‍♂️

Like Sports said, though, JK can play anywhere in the outfield with not a lot of loss in defense.

OP
OP
Bobblehead

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Not sure if his throwing side is that big of a deal. He covers a lot of ground and has a decent arm, at least. He was playing right field until we signed Hernandez. Maybe they think the extra step of coverage is better with lefty in left and righty in right out weighs any throwing restrictions. 🤷‍♂️

Like Sports said, though, JK can play anywhere in the outfield with not a lot of loss in defense.
I have no doubt about his defense, his defense is fine. My point is, that a righty in right field can throw to home place on the run.. A lefty, has to stop, plant and throw, which could be a difference in a run scoring or not, like it was yesterday, when he was just a half step late. I bet theirs not many lefties that play left field... gonna have to check that out.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I have no doubt about his defense, his defense is fine. My point is, that a righty in right field can throw to home place on the run.. A lefty, has to stop, plant and throw, which could be a difference in a run scoring or not, like it was yesterday, when he was just a half step late. I bet theirs not many lefties that play left field... gonna have to check that out.
In the outfield range is more important than what arm they throw with.
Infield it’s a different story.