I've been keeping a secret... (coaching discussion)

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I posted a thread some time ago (month or two now?) with several prospective offensive coordinator candidates. I put my actual favorite one near the bottom because... well, it wouldn't have gone over well in the current landscape, and I don't want to be labeled a cultist.

You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

That said, I'm coming out with it. This is my pick. My secret favorite choice for OC.

Brennan Carroll, Arizona OC
View attachment 61967

SHUT UP STOP YELLING!
Yes, total nepotism. But Arizona looks really, really good on offense - and he's coaching under Jedd Fisch. I literally wouldn't even be mad. How much more chemistry can you get than a literal father/son duo? As long as it isn't Nate. Nate's too goofy.

And it has been the entire time. Brennan Carroll makes more sense than ever.

He's got the background. He's a well-rounded offensive mind who knows how to pound the rock. Most of his coaching experience is along the OL, but he's been a tight end coach and WR coach independent on his father on a good Miami staff.

Al Golden, himself a TE coach (mostly defensive coach though, interesting background!) and former TE, chose Brennan as his TE coach. That's a nice little implicit endorsement right there.

Right now, Brennan is the offensive coordinator for the ascendant Arizona Wildcats under head coach Jedd Fisch. Not sure how much Arizona you guys have watched, but that offense is pretty gat-dang beautiful.

He's got the credentials, he's got the King's Blood, he's got the youth, and he's got the exact background this team needs in an OC. The fundamental pound-the-rock toughness that we can use to convert crucial downs. That pressure-release valve for our pass game.

If we're going with Dan Quinn, Brennan makes sense.

If we're going with Dave Canales, Brennan makes sense.

It's Brennan.

Clean break from Pete isn't the way. It isn't even possible right now. Pete's staying on as "advisor" sure, but John's staying on too. You're not purging Carroll's DNA from this program, and why would you want to? It's unique. It's the unique type of energy you can build around. It's a lasting, powerful ethos. Lean into it!

Bring in the lifers. Bring in a Canales. Bring in a Quinn. Bring in a CARROLL. Not Nate, though. The good one.

I get the move and why it had to be made. If he was sticking with his guys, God bless his loyal heart, but it was time in that case.

Let's finish his work in style.

Last edited:

Salmonkiller

Reaction score
I hope you are wrong. Move on. And with PC saying that he still wants to coach indicates that he won't be here. I realize that some of you guys may have contacts on the inside, but I still hope you are wrong....

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I hope you are wrong. Move on. And with PC saying that he still wants to coach indicates that he won't be here. I realize that some of you guys may have contacts on the inside, but I still hope you are wrong....
I absolutely 100% do not have any contacts, to be clear.

toffee

Reaction score
If Brennan wasn't a Carroll, he might have been promoted to our OC in the last few years.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
The NFL loves a good story. DQ, Coaches kid, Penix as QBOTF, NFL DROTY Spo0o0o0o0n, Wagz back for ONE last ride. Those are great stories to write/work with. It just needs a cherry on top...and I'm not sure what it is...

Maybe Geno gets injured game 2, Penix takes over and Seattle goes on a roll. Where's the headline??? Where's the BEEF?

RiverDog

Reaction score
I posted a thread some time ago (month or two now?) with several prospective offensive coordinator candidates. I put my actual favorite one near the bottom because... well, it wouldn't have gone over well in the current landscape, and I don't want to be labeled a cultist.

You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em.

That said, I'm coming out with it. This is my pick. My secret favorite choice for OC.

And it has been the entire time. Brennan Carroll makes more sense than ever.

He's got the background. He's a well-rounded offensive mind who knows how to pound the rock. Most of his coaching experience is along the OL, but he's been a tight end coach and WR coach independent on his father on a good Miami staff.

Al Golden, himself a TE coach (mostly defensive coach though, interesting background!) and former TE, chose Brennan as his TE coach. That's a nice little implicit endorsement right there.

Right now, Brennan is the offensive coordinator for the ascendant Arizona Wildcats under head coach Jedd Fisch. Not sure how much Arizona you guys have watched, but that offense is pretty gat-dang beautiful.

He's got the credentials, he's got the King's Blood, he's got the youth, and he's got the exact background this team needs in an OC. The fundamental pound-the-rock toughness that we can use to convert crucial downs. That pressure-release valve for our pass game.

If we're going with Dan Quinn, Brennan makes sense.

If we're going with Dave Canales, Brennan makes sense.

It's Brennan.

Clean break from Pete isn't the way. It isn't even possible right now. Pete's staying on as "advisor" sure, but John's staying on too. You're not purging Carroll's DNA from this program, and why would you want to? It's unique. It's the unique type of energy you can build around. It's a lasting, powerful ethos. Lean into it!

Bring in the lifers. Bring in a Canales. Bring in a Quinn. Bring in a CARROLL. Not Nate, though. The good one.

I get the move and why it had to be made. If he was sticking with his guys, God bless his loyal heart, but it was time in that case.

Let's finish his work in style.
I don't think it's a good idea, from either Brendon's perspective or the teams.

Whether it's justified or not, so long as his old man is in the building, there's going to be accusations of nepotism leveled towards him, from fans, players, coaches, administrators. I've seen this situation play out in real life, have myself been the victim of nepotism. Situations like this could lead to a locker room split.

Sorry, but this is a bad idea. Give him a good recommendation to some team in the AFC.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I like the passion but I really do think a clean break is best. If you’re trying to hang on to a piece of the past you should’ve just kept Carroll. I really like Quinn but it’s why he wouldn’t be my choice either. I’ll be on board with almost anyone though.

Really hope we start hearing who is interviewing soon though?

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I understand how terrible this looks on the face of things, which is why I hadn't expanded prior. But I'm feeling it now.

It's just one of those things, man. I'm big on football bloodlines, and I love Brennan's background. I get the nepotism angle, but for me, I mean... I view a football upbringing as a cool thing. A good thing for future success. Brian Schottenheimer being Marty's son was a good thing for me. Same for Brennan. I love it.

It's not entirely nepotism, but yeah, partly. He did well for us, and he's done well elsewhere.

OP
OP
Maelstrom787

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I like the passion but I really do think a clean break is best. If you’re trying to hang on to a piece of the past you should’ve just kept Carroll. I really like Quinn but it’s why he wouldn’t be my choice either. I’ll be on board with almost anyone though.

Really hope we start hearing who is interviewing soon though?
I would probably be more apt to join this camp if JS wasn't running the show.

I don't think they're going for a clean break as much as they're trying to refocus the organization on the ethos Pete built.

Changes needed to be made, absolutely. But look at the tears being shed and the love being shown for the man. The absolute admiration.

With each passing hour, it becomes more clear to me in my heart of hearts that the idea of trying to fully separate from that is just... wrong. It feels wrong.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I actually agree. I don’t think this is a tear down and John wants to run with much of what they have I just have a gut feeling John wants his stamp so the coach will be completely different. All that to say I’m guaranteed to be wrong and it’s Dan Quinn lol

Ozzy

Reaction score
I still love the idea of a Ben Johnson because we have similar skill players as Detroit. He could use Geno, DK,JSN, K9 etc and do some really good stuff.

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
I still love the idea of a Ben Johnson because we have similar skill players as Detroit. He could use Geno, DK,JSN, K9 etc and do some really good stuff.
So just concentrate on the offense and ignore the bleeding sieve of the defense? I agree the offense hindered themselves in play calls. We would run multiple sets in the backfield with motion/misdirection that worked and then all of sudden go away from it. Not allowing 200+ on the ground and tackling would certainly benefit us in the same.

Ozzy

Reaction score
So just concentrate on the offense and ignore the bleeding sieve of the defense? I agree the offense hindered themselves in play calls. We would run multiple sets in the backfield with motion/misdirection that worked and then all of sudden go away from it. Not allowing 200+ on the ground and tackling would certainly benefit us in the same.
No I didn’t say that. You get a DC you can trust. Most of the top teams are ran by offensive minded coaches, it’s just an easier path to success. But if the best candidate is a defensive minded guy then you go that route and hope to get a great oc but those guys tend to get picked off more frequently as well.

getnasty

Reaction score
If the new coach comes and think Brennan is the guy then make it happen. Arizona offensive was every bit as good as UW's was this year. Probably not my favorite pick but if that what Ben Johnson decides then that's fine.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I think they want a break from Carroll completely. Maybe he'd be hired in a lesser role than oc.