Ruminations on the Eagles Game.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
At no time in the game was I ever convinced that the Eagles had a genuine chance of winning. The pressure on Wentz and their roster injury issues revealed a weekend opponent.

The D was suffocating to their efforts and was it not for the numerous big play miscues, drops, fumbles and turnovers the game would have not been as close. Therefore more than few coachable and correctable mistakes made in pass protection, pass catching and ball security, even RW was off a bit from his normal in complete control self. In reality only the score was close b/c the Hawks D owned Philly's O all game. The O stepped backwards while the D continued it's recent improvement. Somehow though I am not concerned as the O lead the D through the first half of the year and could quickly get their n=mojo back. I'm psyched by the D's continuing improvement.

Carson's fumbles cause me concern but his running is effective. Nice to see Penny break a big run for 6. Sure liked the pass rush even w/o Clowney.

I suppose it was a somewhat unsatisfying W and certainly a tad ugly with all the offensive mistakes but applying the lipstick of the W, very satisfactory for a 10 a.m. away game that brought the away record to a perfect 6-0. :2thumbs:

Marque89

Reaction score
And we did it sans Clowney... Jams, I like you was like we have the lead and we have the best game manger in the business in Russ.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
It was nice to see Ansah get good pressure but I was also excited to see a spark from Green. His strip sack from the “ Salutations to the Sun” yoga position was good to see. It seemed he was getting good pressure for the most part along side Ziggy. Also he looked bigger out there today for some reason also. Don’t ask me why he just did.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I think he's the best pressure QB in the game and more than just a game manager, but at that he's pretty darn good.

Vesuve

Reaction score
Fade":3e859o99 said:
I was very nervous going into this game because of the point spread. It felt like the wrong team was favored, and so I spent the entire week trying to figure out what Vegas knew, that I didn't know. The public went in heavy on the Hawks, so it was in Vegas' best interest that the Seahawks didn't cover the spread. The fix was in, or at least we would get a one sided officiated affair to steer the game to produce the necessary result.

What was the spread in this game?

I missed it this week.

TIA.

edogg23

Reaction score
Little harsh on DK. Remember the wind was gusting today. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that deep pass got caught up in the wind and blown to the inside of the field at the end causing him to misjudge it.

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Marque89":18aj7nf8 said:
Fade, your analysis spot on. I never would,ve thought that Carson would have his fumble issues but he has. One thing I will say about Carson is he punishes. Penny showed a change of pace and he has the ability for the home run. I’m new to the site but not new to MY “Hawks”. Chicago guy who has been a fan since the Jim Zorn days. Jim is and will forever be my idol. I LOVE this team and my weekends are predicated on Hawk football. One day I will get to the “Link” but rest assure there are fans on the outer reaches that absolutely LOVE this team.

Welcome to the forum, Marque89! I'm certainly on the outer reaches geographically, but proud to be called an honorary Seattleite by people I know there.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Vesuve":22ch0ie5 said:
Fade":22ch0ie5 said:
I was very nervous going into this game because of the point spread. It felt like the wrong team was favored, and so I spent the entire week trying to figure out what Vegas knew, that I didn't know. The public went in heavy on the Hawks, so it was in Vegas' best interest that the Seahawks didn't cover the spread. The fix was in, or at least we would get a one sided officiated affair to steer the game to produce the necessary result.

I missed it this week.

TIA.
The line opened with the Eagles favored by three and closed with the Eagles favored by one

AirStrike

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2es17tyt said:
Vesuve":2es17tyt said:
Fade":2es17tyt said:

I missed it this week.

TIA.
The line opened with the Eagles favored by three and closed with the Eagles favored by one

I thought that was extremely generous the spread. Eagles have had offensive issues for a few weeks now and there was a good chance they’d go into the game with virtually nothing at receiver. Their defense is lights out and we have a good history of playing well on the road. If anything I thought it would have closed with us as 2 point favourites.

aawolf

Reaction score
I'll echo those that said the WIND was a huge factor today as far as accuracy with the passing game--on both sides. Wentz looked worse than Russell with having multiple balls sail over receivers. I think the bunny throw was especially affected because he tried to lob it and it sailed due to the wind. That TD drop by Metcalf also seemed to move to the left right before it got to him due to the wind. It was like trying to hit a knuckle ball or catching a butterfly in the wind.

The absolute worst part of this game was the penalties. Getting into 1st and 25 situations is brutal. All the turnovers and pressure that our defense produced in this game and we gave up a blowout because our O-line couldn't get out of their own way. We really hurt Russell's MVP chances because asking him to throw on 3rd and long every time because of penalties is a tough task, especially in this weather.

StoneCold

Reaction score
edogg23":o24unf4x said:
Little harsh on DK. Remember the wind was gusting today. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if that deep pass got caught up in the wind and blown to the inside of the field at the end causing him to misjudge it.

Sometimes he makes amazing catches and at others he has hands of stone. If he develops hands in the tradition of Angry Doug and The Poet, he is going to be amazing.

D

DomeHawk

StoneCold":2yv0d3wu said:
edogg23":2yv0d3wu said:
Little harsh on DK. Sometimes he makes amazing catches and at others he has hands of stone. If he develops hands in the tradition of Angry Doug and The Poet, he is going to be amazing.

But that is the problem right now, his inconsistency. He has a low percentage of catches per targets. That can stall or be a drive-ender.

As the season began I posted that this is the book on him (hands, route tree) and have been summarily vilified for posting that. That wasn't my evaluation, it's the eval of the whole league and that is why he slipped in the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I really like DK, but if he is going to be the HOF'er some of you have already prematurely granted him, he needs to improve in those areas.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That is asking a lot.

The better comparison is Kearse.

Inconsistent catches but makes some tremendously important big plays that change the game. Which he is doing.

DK also seems to struggle in the elements (especially the rain).

We've done well with receivers and TEs that are hit or miss but mash out home runs when they get it. Both Kearse and Jeremey Stevens were like that. Stevens especially, who might drop any pass but will also get you 40 yds if he catches it. (DK clearly is not a dirtbag like Stevens though).

But if we end up with a bigger, faster Kearse that can be a deep threat but bulldoze tacklers if he catches it? Is that a terrible thing? (not comparing the run blocking, Kearse was a pretty good run blocker)

DK does not need to be a top 10 receiver or probowl player to be valuable to this offense. He won't be a Baldwin, he doesn't have soft hands - but he has average hands with an exceptionally above average speed and size. That is worth the roster spot.

andyh64000

Reaction score
AirStrike":r658hgoz said:
hawksfansinceday1":r658hgoz said:
Vesuve":r658hgoz said:
Fade":r658hgoz said:

I missed it this week.

TIA.

I thought that was extremely generous the spread. Eagles have had offensive issues for a few weeks now and there was a good chance they’d go into the game with virtually nothing at receiver. Their defense is lights out and we have a good history of playing well on the road. If anything I thought it would have closed with us as 2 point favourites.

I saw SEA -2 right before game time.

HawkerD

Reaction score
On a different note...

Akeem King was the nickel CB. Didn't hear much about that happening leading up to the game. What is going on with Amadi? Is he a Special Teams lifer?

Really worried about LJ Collier. He was in on 26 plays but was basically invisible. Its still early for him but he is not a youngster.

Ifedi, Ifedi, Ifedi. Not hearing the zebras call his number very often of late. Seems to not be sucking as much as he used to. He does have the ability to be available. He will probably walk because someone will over pay. In retrospect I feel we should have taken that 5th year option on him . If Britt is a cap casualty and Brown another year older, I can't see how you let Ifedi go. Its like back to square one.

kf3339

Reaction score
Aussie Seahawk":1gbpq3qc said:
Marque89":1gbpq3qc said:
Fade, your analysis spot on. I never would,ve thought that Carson would have his fumble issues but he has. One thing I will say about Carson is he punishes. Penny showed a change of pace and he has the ability for the home run. I’m new to the site but not new to MY “Hawks”. Chicago guy who has been a fan since the Jim Zorn days. Jim is and will forever be my idol. I LOVE this team and my weekends are predicated on Hawk football. One day I will get to the “Link” but rest assure there are fans on the outer reaches that absolutely LOVE this team.

Welcome to the forum, Marque89! I'm certainly on the outer reaches geographically, but proud to be called an honorary Seattleite by people I know there.

I second that......Welcome! Enjoy the board!

Chapow

Reaction score
zblevins":3yffob99 said:
Joey Hunt got EXPOSED today. Worst game for him so far by a long shot. Yea the d-line is probably the best part of Philly's roster but he was gawd awful. Just one more reason I like Britt in the middle of our line. He and Russ have a great relationship and he is a very good center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fletcher Cox is probably going to dominate most back up centers.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
DK Metcalf struggles to catch the ball outside of his frame. Whether in a dome, or inclement weather.

He has stacked game after game showing this deficiency. It doesn't mean he can't get better, he is a very raw receiver and still developing, but it is real.

Vesuve

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2eidxkwf said:
Vesuve":2eidxkwf said:
Fade":2eidxkwf said:

I missed it this week.

TIA.
Thanks,

As Fade noted, it sounds dodgy.

Vesuve

Reaction score
andyh64000":3km4jvb2 said:
AirStrike":3km4jvb2 said:
hawksfansinceday1":3km4jvb2 said:
Vesuve":3km4jvb2 said:

I missed it this week.

TIA.

I saw SEA -2 right before game time.

This would be more logical.