Ruminations on the Eagles Game.

Fade

Reaction score
Ruminations on the Eagles Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

I was very nervous going into this game because of the point spread. It felt like the wrong team was favored, and so I spent the entire week trying to figure out what Vegas knew, that I didn't know. The public went in heavy on the Hawks, so it was in Vegas' best interest that the Seahawks didn't cover the spread. The fix was in, or at least we would get a one sided officiated affair to steer the game to produce the necessary result. The referees did what they could calling double digits worth of penalties on the Seahawks, until the Eagles got their first one very late in the 3rd quarter.

They need to fire the odds makers who set that line, as they clearly have no clue what they are doing. The Eagles have maybe the worst offense in the entire NFC that is pretty much playing with backups across the board.

Seattle defenselessly picked up where they left off against SF. Getting in receiver's muggs, and playing with great tenacity across the defensive line. Ziggy showed up with a couple of nice bull rushes, filling in for the injured Clowney. Shaqueem was blazing off the edge when in the game. They swarmed the Eagles for most of the game, and took advantage of a struggling Wentz.

Pete and Norton have gotten it together, and have stopped mostly playing that give up outside bail, off coverage garbage. I think Diggs being inserted at Free Safety has also given them the confidence to do so.

Offensively, Schotty had an excellent early game script. That should have produced a 28-3 halftime lead. But Wilson missed 2 TD's to Hollister, and DK dropped a TD bomb at the half. So they only led 7-3. Penny came in with his fresh legs and looked a whole other gear faster than anyone on the field for most of the game. Eventually ripping off a big run to seal the game. Seattle's offensive line struggled and were picking up penalties at a record pace. Duane Brown had a little pow-wow on the sideline, and pleaded with them to get their crap together.

Their is a lot to like from this game. Seattle offensively is in a funk, but I don't expect that to last for long. But Seattle's
defense is coming together, and they are figuring out how to play just at the right time.

I've missed a lot, but a thousand things happen in a football game, and I can't cover it all. So please feel free to give your thoughts and chime in.

RANDOM PLAYER & COACH NOTES

*I hate to say it but, Metcalf has very sub-optimal hands. The ball has to be delivered within his frame. Every catch is an adventure with him.

*I have no idea where Wilson can go with the ball. No one can get open, no one can catch, and his O-Line cannot hold up. Go get 'em MVP. *Watches flea-flicker* Okay, Schotty! I see you.

*Looking very windy. Wentz had an easy swing pass go awry and then they almost missed the chip shot FG.

*Lowkey, Malik Turner is the 2nd best WR on the team, at least until Josh Gordon gets more acclimated.

*Carson Wentz with zero pocket awareness gives the ball back to the Seahawks. Rasheem Green punches it out from his keister.

*Wilson misses Hollister on the out and up. It would've been a TD.

*Pin them down on the 1. Immediately jump offsides and give them breathing room. Makes sense. /s

*Wentz is a terrible QB right now. He can't wait to get to the off-season, and push the reset button.

*Wilson misses a wide open Hollister for the easy TD. After scrambling out of a would-be sack. :pukeface:
Stop with the lollipops and puts some heat on the football.

*The DBs are consistently getting in the WRs grills and I love it.

*Wilson just took one of the worst sacks of his career. He isn't playing well right now either.

*DK needs to practice catching the ball outside of his frame. 500 balls a day.

*The Seahawks should be up 28-3 at half if Wilson was more accurate on two key throws, and DK could catch.

*Ziggy Ansah showing up today. He is just using a bull rush, but it has been effective.

*Penny has fresh legs. They should use him a ton in the 2nd half.

*David Moore finally won on a 1-on-1 downfield. They might need to go with the hot hand and have him play more for DK in this game.

*Another DK drop, though a very tough catch, and I would not expect many receivers to make it.

*All of the penalties on the Seahawks today. Hmm.... This delay of game was good though, as that run would've went no where.

*I feel like if the Eagles ran the ball every play they would score a touchdown. Good thing they don't think that.

*It only took the Seattle defense a half a season to figure out they were getting burned by the screen game. They have snuffed that out now for three games running. A major weakness has now become a strength.

*It's like the Tom Cable era with all of these O-Line penalties.

*Penny hits pay dirt! I am glad the coaches saw what I saw, and have decided to go with him. His legs are incredibly fresh at this juncture of the season, so they might as well take advantage of it.

*Get Carson the fumbler out of there. Stick with Penny.

*I said get him out of there! What are they doing! He fumbles again. I am shocked. /s

*Carson Wentz has major mechanical issues that are going to take an off-season, or two to fix.

*Penny stopped in the backfield for a two yard loss. I will take it. He didn't fumble.

*They are throwing? Don't the Seahawks realize they are playing the clock?

*Super nice pooch punt by Dickson. He hasn't had an all-pro year by any means. But he has been a lot better than some would have you believe.

*A very nice game by Shaqueem today. I know they are playing with a backup at RT, but he has had enough impact on the game that they have had to chip him quite a bit to assist said backup RT.

*Trey Flowers making the best play of his career. He definitely looks more comfortable with a Safety over the top.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Not only is the division there for the taking, but so is the #1 seed. So I will be rooting for the 9ers to win the game tonight over the Packers.

The #1 and #2 Seeds are the teams that are making the Super Bowls in recent history. Seattle is also 3 for 3 when getting the #1 seed. Go 9ers. :pukeface:

The Packers have a cup cake schedule the rest of the way, so they need to lose tonight. The Seahawks can deal with the 9ers week 17. If they even need to. The 9ers are at Baltimore and at New Orleans, and playing the Rams again might just do the trick. In other words I don't expect the Niners to keep up their fervent pace. But the Packers will if they win tonight.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
The defense with Diggs in the backfield has completely changed the whole defense. Now the defense is getting sacks and turnovers. They are pressuring the QB and playing tighter on the wide outs.

The offense was unbearable besides Penny. Penny looked solid minus his block on the 1 pass play. His speed looks next gear again. Russ wasnt good and missed easy throws. He made a couple dime droppers. Carson is in his own head and will cost us another game if he doesnt right the ship.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Fade":av0oayk0 said:
Ruminations on the Eagles Game is a post-game thread for everyone on .NET to post their thoughts (ruminations) about the game.

I was very nervous going into this game because of the point spread. It felt like the wrong team was favored, and so I spent the entire week trying to figure out what Vegas knew, that I didn't know. The public went in heavy on the Hawks, so it was in Vegas' best interest that the Seahawks didn't cover the spread. The fix was in, or at least we would get a one sided officiated affair to steer the game to produce the necessary result. The referees did what they could calling double digits worth of penalties on the Seahawks, until the Eagles got their first one very late in the 3rd quarter.

They need to fire the odds makers who set that line, as they clearly have no clue what they are doing. The Eagles have maybe the worst offense in the entire NFC that is pretty much playing with backups across the board.

Seattle defenselessly picked up where they left off against SF. Getting in receiver's muggs, and playing with great tenacity across the defensive line. Ziggy showed up with a couple of nice bull rushes, filling in for the injured Clowney. Shaqueem was blazing off the edge when in the game. They swarmed the Eagles for most of the game, and took advantage of a struggling Wentz.

Pete and Norton have gotten it together, and have stopped mostly playing that give up outside bail, off coverage garbage. I think Diggs being inserted at Free Safety has also given them the confidence to do so.

Offensively, Schotty had an excellent early game script. That should have produced a 28-3 halftime lead. But Wilson missed 2 TD's to Hollister, and DK dropped a TD bomb at the half. So they only led 7-3. Penny came in with his fresh legs and looked a whole other gear faster than anyone on the field for most of the game. Eventually ripping off a big run to seal the game. Seattle's offensive line struggled and were picking up penalties at a record pace. Duane Brown had a little pow-wow on the sideline, and pleaded with them to get their crap together.

Their is a lot to like from this game. Seattle offensively is in a funk, but I don't expect that to last for long. But Seattle's
defense is coming together, and they are figuring out how to play just at the right time.

I've missed a lot, but a thousand things happen in a football game, and I can't cover it all. So please feel free to give your thoughts and chime in.

RANDOM PLAYER & COACH NOTES

*I hate to say it but, Metcalf has very sub-optimal hands. The ball has to be delivered within his frame. Every catch is an adventure with him.

*I have no idea where Wilson can go with the ball. No one can get open, no one can catch, and his O-Line cannot hold up. Go get 'em MVP. *Watches flea-flicker* Okay, Schotty! I see you.

*Looking very windy. Wentz had an easy swing pass go awry and then they almost missed the chip shot FG.

*Lowkey, Malik Turner is the 2nd best WR on the team, at least until Josh Gordon gets more acclimated.

*Carson Wentz with zero pocket awareness gives the ball back to the Seahawks. Rasheem Green punches it out from his keister.

*Wilson misses Hollister on the out and up. It would've been a TD.

*Pin them down on the 1. Immediately jump offsides and give them breathing room. Makes sense. /s

*Wentz is a terrible QB right now. He can't wait to get to the off-season, and push the reset button.

*Wilson misses a wide open Hollister for the easy TD. After scrambling out of a would-be sack. :pukeface:
Stop with the lollipops and puts some heat on the football.

*The DBs are consistently getting in the WRs grills and I love it.

*Wilson just took one of the worst sacks of his career. He isn't playing well right now either.

*DK needs to practice catching the ball outside of his frame. 500 balls a day.

*The Seahawks should be up 28-3 at half if Wilson was more accurate on two key throws, and DK could catch.

*Ziggy Ansah showing up today. He is just using a bull rush, but it has been effective.

*Penny has fresh legs. They should use him a ton in the 2nd half.

*David Moore finally won on a 1-on-1 downfield. They might need to go with the hot hand and have him play more for DK in this game.

*Another DK drop, though a very tough catch, and I would not expect many receivers to make it.

*All of the penalties on the Seahawks today. Hmm.... This delay of game was good though, as that run would've went no where.

*I feel like if the Eagles ran the ball every play they would score a touchdown. Good thing they don't think that.

*It only took the Seattle defense a half a season to figure out they were getting burned by the screen game. They have snuffed that out now for three games running. A major weakness has now become a strength.

*It's like the Tom Cable era with all of these O-Line penalties.

*Penny hits pay dirt! I am glad the coaches saw what I saw, and have decided to go with him. His legs are incredibly fresh at this juncture of the season, so they might as well take advantage of it.

*Get Carson the fumbler out of there. Stick with Penny.

*I said get him out of there! What are they doing! He fumbles again. I am shocked. /s

*Carson Wentz has major mechanical issues that are going to take an off-season, or two to fix.

*Penny stopped in the backfield for a two yard loss. I will take it. He didn't fumble.

*They are throwing? Don't the Seahawks realize they are playing the clock?

*Super nice pooch punt by Dickson. He hasn't had an all-pro year by any means. But he has been a lot better than some would have you believe.

*A very nice game by Shaqueem today. I know they are playing with a backup at RT, but he has had enough impact on the game that they have had to chip him quite a bit to assist said backup RT.

*Trey Flowers making the best play of his career. He definitely looks more comfortable with a Safety over the top.

FINAL THOUGHTS

Not only is the division there for the taking, but so is the #1 seed. So I will be rooting for the 9ers to win the game tonight over the Packers.

The #1 and #2 Seeds are the teams that are making the Super Bowls in recent history. Seattle is also 3 for 3 when getting the #1 seed. Go 9ers. :pukeface:

The Packers have a cup cake schedule the rest of the way, so they need to lose tonight. The Seahawks can deal with the 9ers week 17. If they even need to. The 9ers are at Baltimore and at New Orleans, and playing the Rams again might just do the trick. In other words I don't expect the Niners to keep up their fervent pace. But the Packers will if they win tonight.
Agree with all of it but the rooting for the Packers tonight. Great insights as usual! :2thumbs:

HawkGA

Reaction score
I'll still take a 9ers loss. The division title is more important. Dropping to a 5 seed wouldn't be good.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":12pwek00 said:
The defense with Diggs in the backfield has completely changed the whole defense. Now the defense is getting sacks and turnovers. They are pressuring the QB and playing tighter on the wide outs.....
You beat me to it :2thumbs:
This D looks entirely different with him back there rather than TT. I don't think it's coincidence.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Winning the NFC West is ALWAYS better than being aq Wild Card. We HOST the Wild Card game, and who knows, we might be able to be a#1 or 2 seed that way.

I don't share your disdain for Metcalf's hands.

Love, love, LOVE what the defense is doing now. The Offense carried the first half of the season, and now the D is finally looking legit. If both the O & the D can play well at the same time for the entire game, the Seahawks will be deadly down the stretch.

What's with playing crappy offense in the rain this season? Man, get it together Russ.

If we all were polled before the season started and we were asked if we'd be 9-2 at this point, 99% of us would have said no. If we were asked if we'd take 9-2 after 11 games, I'm pretty sure 100% of us would have said heck yes. Therefore, I'm very happy with where the Seahawks are, and I'm just going to enjoy it.

I'm loving that Queem Griffen is getting a run now. Nice to see him making some impactful plays.

Carson has done too much good for this team and he's is still my #1. But dayum, he needs to stop giving up the ball.

Penny finally showed what he's capable of and why he was drafted.

I actually like Schotty, but man, some of these calls... :pukeface:

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2nr1vy6q said:
.......I actually like Schotty, but man, some of these calls... :pukeface:
Pretty unenviable task today though considering we were behind the sticks a great deal of the time from mostly self-inflicted wounds. And if Russ hits that TD pass to Jacob and DK catches his you might feel differently as well.

xray

Reaction score
Great win . Should of been 30-9 ; but it's a win . :D

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1zo1x07v said:
Jazzhawk":1zo1x07v said:
Pretty unenviable task today though considering we were behind the sticks a great deal of the time from mostly self-inflicted wounds. And if Russ hits that TD pass to Jacob and DK catches his you might feel differently as well.
Indeed.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
I hope some realize that if the Niners win tonight and lose next week. The Seahawks handle the Vikings on MNF, they will be the #2 Seed.

If the Packers win tonight the Seahawks will be the #3 seed.

A 1st rd bye is everything. Go Niners.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Fade":35hys4zo said:
I hope some realize that if the Niners win tonight and lose next week. The Seahawks handle the Vikings on MNF, they will be the #2 Seed.

If the Packers win tonight the Seahawks will be the #3 seed.

A 1st rd bye is everything. Go Niners.

But if the Niners win and win, the Seahawks are still the 5 seed. Probably risk averse, but I'd take the 3 seed over the 5 seed. The division is the most important thing. I figure the Hawks likely drop at least one more game this season so tagging the 9ers with a loss is important.

Now, might look back at the end of the season and wish the Packers lost, but until then . . .

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2s8ayjyo said:
Shanegotyou11":2s8ayjyo said:
The defense with Diggs in the backfield has completely changed the whole defense. Now the defense is getting sacks and turnovers. They are pressuring the QB and playing tighter on the wide outs.....
You beat me to it :2thumbs:
This D looks entirely different with him back there rather than TT. I don't think it's coincidence.

100%. The whole D has changed.

zblevins

Reaction score
Joey Hunt got EXPOSED today. Worst game for him so far by a long shot. Yea the d-line is probably the best part of Philly's roster but he was gawd awful. Just one more reason I like Britt in the middle of our line. He and Russ have a great relationship and he is a very good center.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
zblevins":20ko3975 said:
Joey Hunt got EXPOSED today. Worst game for him so far by a long shot. Yea the d-line is probably the best part of Philly's roster but he was gawd awful. Just one more reason I like Britt in the middle of our line. He and Russ have a great relationship and he is a very good center.

Yeah it was a bad matchup for Hunt. I think Britt will be a cap casualty in the offseason. So Pocic or Hunt will be the starting Center next year.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":15kob1k6 said:
Jazzhawk":15kob1k6 said:
LOL ya, I don't know about that, cuz if "Russ hits that pass to Jacob and DK catches"?, Pete might very well have gone into conservative Mode, and you know how frustrating that can be.
Schotty called a damn good game, it was the execution (or lack thereof) of some of the Offensive plays that were sucking at times....LOL, Don't know how anyone can lay blame on his play calling at this juncture.

zblevins

Reaction score
Fade":1kc0fwwh said:
zblevins":1kc0fwwh said:

Yeah it was a bad matchup for Hunt. I think Britt will be a cap casualty in the offseason. So Pocic or Hunt will be the starting Center next year.

I'm really hoping they learned from the Unger trade and that's not the case but we'll see. Hunt is a good backup but he doesn't have the size to be a great NFL center. He gets shoved right down Russell's throat far too often.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
zblevins":2bsf20zk said:

I shudder to think what Aaron Donald will do to him if we don't double him on EVERY DAMNED PLAY (that's for you Pete!).

tersal

Reaction score
Great stuff as usual Fade. Good to see Ziggy produce even if it was against backup O linemen today. The sacks the Hawks have allowed are a bit concerning however the last two defensive lines are very good. The Eagles play the wide 9 technique designed to give pass rushers space to get to the quarterback it also gives up running lanes. Still Penny did a good job finding the lanes. Defensively the Seahawks look much better though the Philly offense is not a good one to judge by. Finally I agree on DK star potential is there he with proper coaching he will improve.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Was it raining? Serious question.

Because at least 3 key Seahawks struggle in the rain.

And all 3 struggled today.

Marque89

Reaction score
Fade, your analysis spot on. I never would,ve thought that Carson would have his fumble issues but he has. One thing I will say about Carson is he punishes. Penny showed a change of pace and he has the ability for the home run. I’m new to the site but not new to MY “Hawks”. Chicago guy who has been a fan since the Jim Zorn days. Jim is and will forever be my idol. I LOVE this team and my weekends are predicated on Hawk football. One day I will get to the “Link” but rest assure there are fans on the outer reaches that absolutely LOVE this team.