Richard Sherman is about to become TOAST

VinceDee

Reaction score
At least according to one SI writer:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... =obnetwork

He basically argues that the Falcons had the right idea on how to attack Sherman, by passing his way early and often. This, theoretically, would force the Hawks to have to lean safety help over to his side, opening up other receivers.

There are a number of problems with his reasoning process, not the least of which:

1) Seahawks had little pass rush because we had just lost Chris Clemons the week before. The lack of an effective pass rush meant Matt Ryan had longer in the pocket to throw. We have no such problem this time around.

2) Ryan only completed 2 of 8 passes Sherman's way. One was a touchdown that Sherm apparently expected Chancellor's help on, so it's hard to even conclude that Sherman was the one solely responsible for that catch. Yet the author somehow considers this proof of the strategy working.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Its fun to ignore facts and give uninformed analysis. Kind of like saying we arent a good road team. How on earth we are a bad road team and in the SB is beyond me.

Seafan

Reaction score
Sounds like something Jeff Chadiha would write, no forget that, this guy actually watched a game.

Axx

Reaction score
yeah, sherman was picked on but outside of that TD, he was shutdown. Also Matt Ryan could drink a cup of tea as much time as he had in the pocket

skater18000

Reaction score
VinceDee":1m0curcs said:
At least according to one SI writer:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... =obnetwork

He basically argues that the Falcons had the right idea on how to attack Sherman, by passing his way early and often. This, theoretically, would force the Hawks to have to lean safety help over to his side, opening up other receivers.

There are a number of problems with his reasoning process, not the least of which:

1) Seahawks had little pass rush because we had just lost Chris Clemons the week before. The lack of an effective pass rush meant Matt Ryan had longer in the pocket to throw. We have no such problem this time around.

2) Ryan only completed 2 of 8 passes Sherman's way. One was a touchdown that Sherm apparently expected Chancellor's help on, so it's hard to even conclude that Sherman was the one solely responsible for that catch. Yet the author somehow considers this proof of the strategy working.

On the touchdown, that was a miscomunication between Sherm and Bam Bam Kam. They were playing their cover 3 defense and he went to pass the post route off to Kam and Kam was no where to be found, so he chased after him, but it was to late. Kam has grown so much from last year, for something like this to happen to the LOB would be so uncharacteristic and fluky. They're defense is all based on timing and footsteps. When a WR breaks on a post route against Sherm, he knows the perfect timing of when to pass the guy off to the saftey and pick up the corner route. Routes that are "suppose to beat that coverage" don't beat our defense because we play the defenses to perfection. Peyton Manning will have to play a perfect game to beat Seattle IMO because he will have to match points with Russ, Shawn and the boys on offense. Our defense has given up an average of 12 points a game since the point in the season where this defense truly became consistant and great (Week 10 vs Atlanta W 33-10). We allowed 12 points a game against the following quarterbacks; Matt Ryan, Matt Cassel, Drew Brees 2x, Kaepernick 2x, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Kellen Clemons. 12 points of game against a pretty good group quarterbacks with pretty good defenses to boot. Come Sunday, we will stop the offensive juggernaut of Denver just like we stopped the very good offenses all year. Our offense is going to run Denver off the damn field. Hallelujah Go Hawks!

NorCalHawk12

Reaction score
Geez, Louise, has no one ever thrown a touchdown against the best corner in the game before? Shoeless Dick can't be the only "best" ever. Did the statistical "best anything" ever lose? Did Johnny Unitas ever lose. Joe Namath? Lester Hayes? C'mon people (not you guys here). You should hear the crap the Seahawks are getting here in Niner country. I know they're taking quotes out of context and lying in their reports. Or at least not telling the whole story.
Thankfully we have the richest owner in the league so we can afford to A) payoff the officials for a few more years, and B) bribe the laboratory personnel to fudge results. I've taken to agreeing that we cheat, juice and bribe our way to the Superbowl...frustrating, indeed...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think it's kind of fitting we're facing the Broncos for the Super Bowl when their team reminds me a lot of the Falcons attack last year... seems like this is going to be the ultimate chance to make amends for that tough loss a season ago.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":21cj0oo1 said:
I think it's kind of fitting we're facing the Broncos for the Super Bowl when their team reminds me a lot of the Falcons attack last year... seems like this is going to be the ultimate chance to make amends for that tough loss a season ago.
It's getting kind of aggravating to read crap like that, because these guys are expected to say something intelligent.
Has it even dawned on him, that Bradley is no longer with the Hawks, and that Quinn has a whole different mindset, and unlike that Falcons game last Season, we DO have a pass rush.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Maybe he will get picked on but I doubt it will amount to much. I would have picked a game that featured a credible Seahawks pass rush rather then an out of position rookie DE and some dude who's name sounded like chupacabra.

Wes Welkers about to become strawberry jam in my less than educated opinion. We'll see.

minormillikin

Reaction score
This is all part of the larger narrative that will make the Seahawks victory more exciting for the casual NFL fan.

amill87

Reaction score
Right because there is NO WAY Sherman could have gotten better in over a year.

There's nothing to see here. Just a guy trying to get some clicks by throwing Sherman's name out there

lobohawk

Reaction score
Few times I've seen Sherman beaten was when he was over aggressive on a double-move (trying to steal a pick) or dropping off his man to jump an underneath route by another receiver. Even so, those are rare. Course it's also hard from a layman's perspective to know when he's supposed to have help over top in those situations.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":34r2fdpx said:
For more views and opinions on this subject it was also discussed earlier, here:

http://seahawks.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88327

Also, I'm not acting like a thread police like so many here will do... I'm actually being more selfish because I hate when you put a lot of thought into a post only for the thread to die and it goes unnoticed.
:13: on the last part of your post, and then getting buried behind 10 threads on the same topic.

I posted a bit on the article. If the writer wanted to target offensive schemes to win match ups against Seattle defense, Sherm, LOB, he should have not specified one game from over a year ago and discussed the DB's collectively.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
So Sherman (the CB avoided the most this year who still managed to lead the NFL in picks) is going to be "beaten" by targeting him "early and often"? ... yeah let's see how that works out!!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
So he is basing his analysis of this years Super Bowl using last years team? How does this person even have a job?

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Yeah, he's TOAST alright... if

TOAST = Totally Outstanding Awesome Shutdown Touchdown-defender

lukerguy

Reaction score
Did middle Delaware state coach Kelly write this article ?
[youtube]9A9OqdG0EFc[/youtube] see 3:00 mark

Latest posts