Reports: Ndamukong Suh wants to sign with Seahawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Rob12":1srv3yh6 said:
I don't know how you make this a reality, but if there is a way JS will make it so.

Avril, Suh, Hill, Mebane, Bennett, Marsh, Schofield? Are you kidding me? A line like that is going to take a massive amount of pressure off of the LOB, which will be essential due to the likely impending departure of Maxwell.

Pipe dream? Probably. But let's see how badly Suh really wants to be a Seahawk.

You'd have to cut out guys like Mebane and probably Schofield (depending on how many teams are interested in him in FA) from this equation, as well as hamstring yourself from resigning possible important players in years 2016, 2017, etc.

Because the only way to land a guy like Suh is to structure his contract with an escalating salary/bonus. So yeah, we could do it, but it might come at the cost of being hamstrung cap wise 2-3 years from now.

I've gone back and forth on Suh. He's so damn good it'd be amazing to have him on our D-line, but on the other hand I like that Pete and John have managed the cap to not only take care of our important guys, but also bring in some vital FA's on good club deals. Is it worth jeopardizing that smart cap model for Suh?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3kncp3aj said:
Rob12":3kncp3aj said:
Is it worth jeopardizing that smart cap model for Suh?

That's the real question.

You'd have to consider the player to be a truly special, impact player. The kind that transcends simply the production that he provides. But also elevates the production of those around him. Bennett is one of those kinds of players. Thomas is one of those kinds of players.

Clearly, it would require losses of players on this DL and replacing them with rookies. So beyond the cap spend, you're also getting a net loss of current talent for rookie talent. Fortunately, our two best (least dead money) contracts with big savings happens to be Mebane and McDaniel. Those two players also happen to occupy roles that are not terribly difficult to replace adequately in the draft.

marko358

Reaction score
Pleading ignorance here but how does a signing bonus and incentives affect the cap? Could we give him a ridiculous signing bonus and some crazy invective payouts without putting a big hit on the cap?

Hyak

Reaction score
marko358":3gpk254s said:
Pleading ignorance here but how does a signing bonus and incentives affect the cap? Could we give him a ridiculous signing bonus and some crazy invective payouts without putting a big hit on the cap?

A signing bonus can be prorated over the length of the deal. So a $ 20 M signing bonus on a 5 year contract is $ 4 M per year. In theory, they could structure a deal to be back loaded in terms of base salaries and have those guaranteed for injury. Incentives are in two categories - Likely to be earned (which counts against the cap) and unlikely to be earned (which doesn't but would apply the next season). Seattle doesn't seem to put too many incentives in their deals from what I can tell.

Cap wise, it's not impossible to do this albeit you likely have to cut guys like Mebane and McDaniels and it could cost you any chance at re-signing Maxwell, Carpenter, etc.

It's great speculation but the odds of this happening are very slim IMO.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Given the choice between Suh and a top-five OL who's a savvy and durable steel wall, I'd opt for the latter. The less Russ gets chased around like a peanut butter-covered rodent being chased around by a hungry dog, the more points our offense scores. I think that's what we need most right now.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2kspr07h said:
jkitsune":2kspr07h said:
netskier":2kspr07h said:
Suh is a known to play dirty, trying to injure other players. This is cheating.

Obtaining Suh turns the Hawks into cheaters. Are the Suh seekers OK with that?

Do you admire other cheaters such as Belichick? Do you admire the new Orleans Bountygaters? How about the Rams dirty play? Do you want to copy that too?

I vote no against cheating players. I vote for playing within the rules, and using our system to win. I vote for sportsmanship.

Just say no to Suh.

Heh. Say "No Suh".

I agree with him. I don't want a player who intentionally tries to injure other players. It wouldn't affect my fandom one bit if we signed him, but I would prefer we win without a dirtbag.

I also think it's silly to spend money on high-priced defensive free agents at this point in our team's development. There's a point of diminishing returns when you're spending $15M+/year to improve your team from the #1 overall defense to STILL the #1 overall defense but just a bit better.

That same money, spent on offense, could make a much more dramatic difference.

You two must really miss Ruskell. He felt the same way you do about player conduct.

Nope, I really don't. It's weird how when you think about it, there's more than two ways to think about player conduct. It's almost as if there's a whole range of possible opinions between "no misconduct or nastiness will be tolerated" and "I don't care at all what people do on or off the field as long as we win games."

As to the question above about DT contracts, Haynesworth signed a 7-year, $100 million contract several years ago. While that is the Redskins, and perhaps the market will not use that contract as a guidepost for a player like Suh, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him try to match or exceed that. Hence the $15M number.

kjreid

Reaction score
Ruminator":11755woc said:
Given the choice between Suh and a top-five OL who's a savvy and durable steel wall, I'd opt for the latter. The less Russ gets chased around like a peanut butter-covered rodent being chased around by a hungry dog, the more points our offense scores. I think that's what we need most right now.
Unfortunately we need better WR if we want to keep RW in the pocket. Let's face it we complete passes because he hold the ball moves the pocket or breaks the pocket and our WR get open. Our WR corp cannot get separation

Ruminator

Reaction score
kjreid":1hfy58ej said:
Ruminator":1hfy58ej said:
Unfortunately we need better WR if we want to keep RW in the pocket. Let's face it we complete passes because he hold the ball moves the pocket or breaks the pocket and our WR get open. Our WR corp cannot get separation

Both are needs.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Ruminator":kv7c8d65 said:
kjreid":kv7c8d65 said:
Ruminator":kv7c8d65 said:

Both are needs.

This is honestly the bigger reason I don't think we should spend on Suh. I think an equivalent amount of money could produce greater results by being spent on the other side of the ball. I'm very comfortable with Mebane, Hill, and others at DT.

cacksman

Reaction score
knownone":1qe5liih said:
Getting Suh would be nuts. Seattle would have the #1 Corner, #1 FS, #1SS, top 2 MLB, and 2 of the top 5 defensive linemen in the NFL. That's just crazy, if they somehow held on to Maxwell... they'd probably be the best Defense in NFL history.

They already are. If Suh happens to happen, Maxwell has zero shot at staying. They would give up 12 ppg if they stayed relatively healthy.

plyka

Reaction score
lukerguy":czzekfy7 said:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nts-to-sign-with-seahawks-raiders-may-overbid

It won't happen, but it's too bad. Guy is a fierce, fierce competitor. Cried when the Lions lost to Dallas. He would be the 2nd best player on that defense immediately.

Im sorry 2nd best player? I know this is a Seahawks board, but there is literally NO OTHER defensive player I would take in the league over Suh. Including Watt. Suh is the #1 defensive player in the league in my opinion. I wouldnt pay him $15m because quite frankly I don't think any non-QB player is worth $15m. For $12-$13m? I would take him.

Seahawks1983":czzekfy7 said:
dumbrabbit":czzekfy7 said:
NJSeaHawk":czzekfy7 said:
Found this comment...does it ring true?

It can be done, but it's greatly at the expense of your offense. You're probably talking 60%/40% Def. to Off. salary cap. 7 guys already comprise about $60mm of 2016 Def. Salary cap (Sherman, Chancellor, Wagner (extension assumed), Wright, Thomas, Bennett, Avril). If you front load the deal (like the Bucs did w/ McCoy), you could squeeze him in in 2015 where Wilson and Wagner's cap hits will be lower.
It also means no Mebane, Maxwell, Irvin (beyond 2015), Lane (beyond 2015), Miller, no FA TE.
It can be done, but you would have to draft pretty perfectly on offense over the next few years.

Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

Tell that to everyone gargling Tom Brady right now.

I guess his quote should be rephrased to:
"Offense wins games, defense wins championships..........unless of course you have Bevell as OC and Pete doesn't stop him from making the dumbest call in sport's history...then, defense will win you championships!"

MontanaHawk05":czzekfy7 said:
Breaking the bank to sign Suh when we have Brandon Mebane and a very promising Jordan Hill seems like overkill.

There are tons of reasons not to sign Suh...in fact, only one reasons but tons of it, and that's cold hard cash....but two reasons I would never bring up is Mebane and Hill. Hill is on the team no matter what, and comparing Mebane to Suh is like comparing Bellichecks coaching skills to Bevell''s.

hawks85

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2hyssjnu said:
He's going to get offered a lot more money elsewhere, let's see if he reallly wants to sign here.
I just read this also. I think he knows he will get offered more money elsewhere, but it sounds like suh really wants t be a seahawk. if he is willing to make like 5mil a year. I aso think he knows that he will get nowhere near his asking price if he plays here. like you said lets see.

peppersjap

Reaction score
I don't see anyway this is a possibility but it is a nice thing to ponder? I don't like Suh but hard to argue that he wouldn't make our defense nearly an unstoppable force. If he was willing to accept a contract here it would tell me he really is concerned about winning and where he plays.
I do believe it is possible he wants to play here but more than likely using us as a bargaining chip. I know people look at someone like him hurting as hurting our image but right now the Seahawks image is not good. After the fight (which I thought was no big deal) and Baldwins childish act (which I obviously didn't like) and the nations general feelings toward Marshawn and Sherman (even though that is starting to change) and of course the general hatred of Pete outside of the Seattle area (I have to admit I wasn't a fan when he was at USC) we need to realize that even Wilson can't rescue us from the reputation we now have.
As I said before I'm not a fan of Suh but he will be playing somewhere so if somehow that could happen I'm on board.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Ruminator":3zf4ozj2 said:

Here's the thing though. A top 5 OL man isn't available and Suh is. I'd rather give Russ Megatron but he's not available.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I have never minded his on field bullshit all that much. He is a throwback to a different era. Offensive linemen by and large get a free pass for a ton of nasty, nasty shit that happens in damn near every game. Suh plays just like them, but on D. I have no problem with that. So he stepped on a guy, put some cleats in a groin, whatever...You think Aaron Rodgers isn't telling his line to cut Suh's knees a dozen times a game?

Suh scares the shit out of QBs. Bennett becomes a 12-15 sack guy next to Suh. Avril too. The LOB gets more picks if Suh is a Hawk.

I don't want the FO to break the model. I don't think this is likely to happen. But they have to explore the chance. Last year, Bennett took a little less. This year, Avril took a below market deal to stay. If, and it is a big if, Suh will go below market just a bit, assuming market is 15 mil and not 20, this could make our defense the stuff of legend.

cacksman

Reaction score
hawks85":l74dvhq7 said:
SonicHawk":l74dvhq7 said:
He's going to get offered a lot more money elsewhere, let's see if he reallly wants to sign here.
I just read this also. I think he knows he will get offered more money elsewhere, but it sounds like suh really wants t be a seahawk. if he is willing to make like 5mil a year. I aso think he knows that he will get nowhere near his asking price if he plays here. like you said lets see.

Hell, let's offer him 500k a year if he really wants to sign!

If he will take 10-12million, I'd say there's a VERY good chance he's a Seahawk.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Scottemojo":39jc2es7 said:
I have never minded his on field bullshit all that much. He is a throwback to a different era. Offensive linemen by and large get a free pass for a ton of nasty, nasty shit that happens in damn near every game. Suh plays just like them, but on D. I have no problem with that. So he stepped on a guy, put some cleats in a groin, whatever...You think Aaron Rodgers isn't telling his line to cut Suh's knees a dozen times a game?

Suh scares the shit out of QBs. Bennett becomes a 12-15 sack guy next to Suh. Avril too. The LOB gets more picks if Suh is a Hawk.

I don't want the FO to break the model. I don't think this is likely to happen. But they have to explore the chance. Last year, Bennett took a little less. This year, Avril took a below market deal to stay. If, and it is a big if, Suh will go below market just a bit, assuming market is 15 mil and not 20, this could make our defense the stuff of legend.

I agree...If healthy I dont see how we could lose that many games with Suh. Having Suh, Avril and Bennet on the line and being able to rotate a ton of depth we would get a ton of pressure every down. The offense would only need to score 14-17 points a game IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts