Random Thoughts™ on the Texans game

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Mebane, McDonald, and McDaniel having career years.

Dan Quinn's first year as DC.

I'm thinking these things are related.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
DavidSeven":34jmxdin said:
Mebane, McDonald, and McDaniel having career years.

Dan Quinn's first year as DC.

I'm thinking these things are related.

Me too. McDonald is a completely different player, especially.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
After Chicago, we started to kick some serious ass last year. We can only hope this game means the same thing because if so, we'll be putting a whoopin' on some teams going forward. It definitely had that Chicago feel. I truly hope that sparks up the offense in spite of the line issues.

Time for Russ to put the team on his back, not just for the Houston game but until that line is straightened out. He's the solution.

hawker84

Reaction score
I have to agree with the Dan Quinn takes, i can see a huge difference in the D this year. much more agressive, and the second half adjustments are awsome.. love me some Quinn... let's get away from the first half soft zone though a bit, ok buddy. let those boys man up...

Blitzer88

Reaction score
As many have already stated, great stuff again Kip. Always look forward to these after a win.

One question though, although most of our LBers did not play well, how did Bobby do out there Sunday?

Spokanefan

Reaction score
Add my thanks to the great number already posted above, Kip.

Just joined officially, but I've been reading everything you write for several years now; as I stated in another thread, you should be doing this professionally, and I sure wish you'd taken over for Sando over at the ESPN blog. Anybody else disgusted with the quality & quantity of Seahawks coverage now being done by Blount?

Throwdown

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2uel20ks said:
Throwdown,

Smith had a horrible game, but didn't he also force the fumble by Tate that started our entire turnaround?

If Tate does not fumble, the chances are that we don't win that game.

If you call someone out for their failures, you have to acknowledge where they contributed to success. The Tate fumble was as key as the Baldwin catch and the Sherman runback because it stopped a potential scoring drive (at a time they were doing whatever they wanted with us) and it led to points for us.

Sorry Mrs. Smith, I'll never disrespect your son again.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Coxal":2u1eo82e said:
Any thoughts about Carpenter? I like him since 2 games. Can Bowie be a starter in years to come?

I saw him get burned on stunts a couple times, but otherwise I didn't really notice his play.

hawk45

Reaction score
Millen said today he isn't playing at starting guard caliber in pass pro for being the only guy on the line big enough (besides Okung) to actually be suited for pass pro. Take it for what it's worth, obviously Millen's opinion isn't gospel.

I'm on the bandwagon for Quinn being an upgrade. Course, doesn't hurt that JS can trip and fall on the sidewalk and end up nabbing solid pass rushers in FA. He makes it look so easy! Bennett, Avril, he hits on EVERYTHING. Not to mention the acquisition of Clem (what a steal), getting McDonald, the list goes on.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":15sq5del said:
I wasn't quite as impressed with the pass-rush in the 1st half as you were. I could be wrong, but I thought I remembered generous pockets for Schaub to chill in for just about as long as he wanted to.

That was the case for most of the 3rd quarter. The pass rush almost vanished after halftime, then roared back in the 4th. Not saying Schaub didn't have time to throw in the first half, even a great pass rush might only hurry a QB half the time.

Another difference is that Schaub was moving pretty well to avoid sacks in the first half, but in the 4th quarter he just started eating them. Tim Ryan even commented on how he thought Schaub took some sacks he could have maybe avoided. Scottemojo's "pill bug" analogy is on the money.

oregonhawkfan":15sq5del said:
I agree w/ others on Clem being just coming back and will take a bit to get up to full speed. I thought our pass rush lacked a bit outside of a few good pressures in the first half but we made some great adjustments there in the 2nd half. After watching a lot of Texans games, it was very evident Shaub + pressure = BAD decisions + turnovers. The 2nd half proved that theory out. I also agree on the sentiment that a lot of the team looked to be ill in some fashion; Sherm especially looked sick.

FWIW, I thought Clemons lost half a step last year, and he still set a career high for sacks. I don't think losing a step means as much to a guy like Clemons as it does for most NFL players.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
If there is any poster that should have his own section under the forum, it should be Kearly and his random thoughts.

General Manager

Reaction score
I think it's too early to say Clemons has lost a step . I thought the half time adjustments were excellent they dialed up a some blitzes scrapped the zone defense and it was a huge factor in the victory. Quinn gets it.

BASF

Reaction score
Seanhawk":6v9g4mov said:
Dismas":6v9g4mov said:
On the TD where KJ blew the coverage, I was able to see him falling down, and the announcers were saying something about someone taking him out. Was anyone able to spot this? And if that is indeed what happened, doesn't that qualify as OPI or a pick play or something?

I started out just being disgusted that the back was so very wide open that close to the goal line, and couldn't see for myself why it was so.

Watching the play again, KJ was blatantly cut by the FB with the sole purpose of taking him out of coverage. I'm not sure why it wasn't called. Maybe because the ball wasn't in the air when it was thrown? There must be some loophole, because it looked to be by design and I find it hard to believe a coach would design a play with a penalty built in.

KJCutBlock zps831eb6d7

It is within the five yards and since it hasn't left the QB's hands it could be construed as just another block and not illegal contact or pass interference. It makes me wonder why more teams don't run plays like this.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
That's illegal is why teams don't do it. The ball hadn't left the qb's hand.

Tical21

Reaction score
Yes, very much illegal, akin to a pick play.