Random Musings

BASF

Reaction score
This ^
Especially in the end zone. That was CLEARLY a hold in the end zone, should have been a Safety, and possible a game changing play.
Or the clear offensive PI that ended up in them magically picking up the flag.
Or DK being mugged in the end zone. Instead of 1st and goal from the one, the Hawks call a designed QB running play and TB forces a fumble.
Didn't call it. Geno ran it because the middle would have been open if Blythe goes and blocks Devon White.

rjdriver

Reaction score
There is one of these games EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Literally. That's how it goes. There is always a win you didn't anticipate and a loss you never saw coming. Hopefully this is the one for this year and it's behind us.

Bucs aren't as bad as people think. Jet lagged. Bad Start. Costly turnovers.

It happens.. To every team. Every Year.

I can't wait for Vegas. They will be playing on raw emotion and should not be overlooked.

BASF

Reaction score
? It was clearly a called QB run. Watch the replay, the WR's were just standing there.
Watch the Top Billin video. Also, Geno has run the QB draw in other games when the middle shows open at the start of the play. If it was a called QB draw, Blythe would not have been waiting to pick up a blitz or stunt. He would have gone forward to block Devon White.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Maybe this has been said. Anyone else think that the Hawks being young, especially their core players they got caught up on the whole experience vs a team led by Brady and a more vet team being more about business?
I know Pete's been through it once with a London game but not many others,

Just thinking about stuff like this being the first time DK had ever left the US etc.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I have absolutely no doubt that the magnitude of the game played a factor. From the travel to the hype to the youth on the team buying into all the love, to all the peripheral festivities and distractions? No doubt in my mind. I mean for pete's sake (pun not intended) even I spent an ungodly amount of hours last week absorbing all the media/shows gushing over our Hawks leading up to this historic game. How can that not have an effect on the team?

Still, no excuses because the Bucs seemed to have absolutely no problem with all of the above factors. Just keeping it real.

chris98251

Reaction score
Good game to lose if your going to, it was a Super Bowl type environment or at least playoff, with hype and fans, we are a inexperienced team now when it comes to games like that. They now have learned a lesson concerning this situation.

Better this way then the playoffs where you are one and done.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
-- I posted a thread last night with a clear message about being such a sensitive 12. I called Cynthia Frelund out specifically as being this Anti-Seahawk mediot and yet here I am today, eating crow and hating every bite that she was right. Grrrrr.
Well, to be fair, she has picked against the Seahawks every game except 1 and we have a winning record, so she kind of is still an Anti-Seahawk mediot.
-- We lost to 45-freaking-year-old Tom Brady. The same TB who looked like absolute shit all year. What we didn't account for is that he is still Tom MoFo Brady. I should have paid more attention when he was telling the team all week lines like, "This is the type of game you will never forget." Et al. I foolishly forgot that this bastard is a leader of men like few have ever seen.
And just want to highlight that Tampa Bay's offense has been shit all year, but Brady really hasn't. His receivers just couldn't hold onto a football if you walked it out and placed it in their hands. Suddenly, they decided to hold onto everything even with a CB draped all over them this week. Just our luck.

Agree that this year, the solution will have to be an uncommon blend of run off the pass, relying on Geno earlier in downs to lighten the box through the air, and what else... ? Not sure yet. I don't know if the FB is used in Shane's offense at all? Also don't know how much we run counter plays? We just need to do something to help open up holes inside.
We haven't really needed a 'what else' this year. Relying on Geno early in drives has basically been a recipe for success and every time we get away from it, we look flat footed until we decide to go back to Geno. Pete recognized in his PC that what changed for our offense was simply going back to what has been successful for us this year.

This has been like the third time we've had the same epiphany on our sideline, so hopefully this time it sticks. Geno's not going to be great every game, but we have an offensive identity right now so let's not mess with it.

And there you have it, folks. We brain screwed ourselves out of a winning strategy. Mone was a scratch and they gave the Bucs a defense they could run on. Why they sacrificed the gamelan that had brought a league leading pressure rate against a qb that can't move more than 8 ft in either direction in the pocket is beyond me. They literally abandoned the approach that brought them success.

Good thing - we beat ourselves. That's fixable.
Yeah, basically beat ourselves on both sides of the ball with overthinking things, which is kind of the opposite of what Pete likes to preach (especially on the defensive side). He likes to focus on what we do and not worry about the other team... and then switches our approach based on what the other team has been struggling at. Add in us playing an offensive game plan that had us stuck in the mud and TB felt no need to air it out.

It was a worst of both worlds approach, but as you said, at least we can fix these things ourselves.

FPD

Reaction score
Good game to lose if your going to, it was a Super Bowl type environment or at least playoff, with hype and fans, we are a inexperienced team now when it comes to games like that. They now have learned a lesson concerning this situation.

Better this way then the playoffs where you are one and done.
I couldn't agree more. I said in the prediction thread that this was the Buc's Super Bowl to this point this year. The Bucs were up. The Hawks weren't. We'll get 'em next time (when it matters!).

✌️:cool:

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
6-4, first place, 5 of 7 to finish the season. Every team in the league has had a clunker this year, ALL OF THEM.

Reactions: FPD