Random Musings

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
This is the first time I have logged on to .NET since last night. I apologize for not reading any threads, I thought I would come in with a clean slate and not be influenced by others takes and comments. Trust me, I will be digesting many of your takes in the next day or two but for now, I am trying to remain neutral to my own take. Having said that, here's my Random Musings.

-- I posted a thread last night with a clear message about being such a sensitive 12. I called Cynthia Frelund out specifically as being this Anti-Seahawk mediot and yet here I am today, eating crow and hating every bite that she was right. Grrrrr.

-- This is the one game so far that has legit shocked me. I had NO DOUBT we would win this game. I think I predicted by 10. I am still beside myself that we lost this game to the 2022 Bucs. Blame travel, blame youth (Yes SoulFishHawk we ARE a YOUNG TEAM), blame reading the press clippings a tad too much, blame it on whatever makes you feel better. Ultimately I blame it on the fact that the Bucs came out better prepared, laser focused, and punched us in the mouth in the first half and we were not prepared for it, period.

-- We lost to 45-freaking-year-old Tom Brady. The same TB who looked like absolute shit all year. What we didn't account for is that he is still Tom MoFo Brady. I should have paid more attention when he was telling the team all week lines like, "This is the type of game you will never forget." Et al. I foolishly forgot that this bastard is a leader of men like few have ever seen.

-- Hat's off to the Bucs game plan. Run, run, run. Our D clearly had their pants down expecting a totally different game plan. They never seemed to adjust which was the most troubling aspect of all. Hats off to the Bucs for shutting OUR running game down, limiting our 3rd down conversions to what? Like 1 for 15 or something stupid? They shut our running game down. Theirs thrived. We had 1 third down conversion to their 10. Game. Over.

-- I feel like such a fool to be lulled into Brady's lair like some smitten kitten. The entire week was one giant circle jerk about the Seahawks and I bought it hook line and sinker. All the while TB12 was ringing his hands together like some twisted, maniacal evil genius who knew the ultimate outcome all along. Christ on a cracker.

-- I wish the Seahawks would have been told before kickoff that they would be facing the 2020 Bucs, not the 2022 Bucs.

-- Trying to find positives besides the fight the Seahawks did show in the final 8 minutes of the 4th Quarter. Let's see...Well, the Huskies beat the Ducks! Sweet. The Cowboys lost to the Packers. Sweet! The Broncos lost and are now 3-6 and Russ still looks like one major, slow, chunky regret to the Broncos Brass! Triple Sweet!! So no, not all was lost this weekend, but damn I sure would have loved if the Chargers beat the 9ers. Oh well. They will likely beat the Cardinals next Sunday meaning we will be tied for first place until we meet the Raiders at home in two weeks which should, ahem, break that tie.

-- I noticed most local media and the players themselves were far from being down and moppy. Sure, they would have loved to have won but there was no hanging heads and suddenly doubting each other. Far from. They all seemed to really love the experience there and feel they will get right back to where they left off after the bye. Hang your heads high 12's. A shit ton of fight in this team and I see them finishing 10-7 which just might win the division or at least snag a wildcard.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
I think coaching cost us this game. Pete, Waldron and Hurts were extremely slow to respond what the Bucs were doing. We came out with only two lineman sometimes and we were running really light packages. The Bucs respond by running straight at us. We never adjusted and kept coming out in those light packages.

On offense took the game out of Geno's hands. Our plan was to run at them early and often. We pivoted way too late -- it reminded me a lot of the 2018 playoff game against the Cowboys. We refused to switch up what were doing. In the passing game we were running a lot of long intermediate crossing routes when we did pass. I swear to god it was like we went back to the Russ special. We didn't really go to the quick passing game until late in the game.

I think Pete and his staff really need to lean into Geno Smith more. He started off poor, but when I saw some downfield footage there didn't seem to be anything open in most cases.

FlyingGunHawk

Reaction score
The lack of pass rush against Brady was very noticeable. I rewatched the game and from I can tell the Seahawks just got pushed around at the line of scrimmage all game for the exception of the 4th quarter. Too little too late. A 14-point cushion is hard to overcome in this league.

One play that I found irritating was when Geno looked like he could of ran for a 1st down. I believe in the 2nd quarter. Instead, he decided to pass and threw an incompletion ending the drive.

All in all, I think the Seahawks just got beat. No excuses.

keasley45

Reaction score
I think it's a loss they'll learn from for sure. The game was won they let go. They weren't necessarily beaten. It was just a bad time to test their 3-4 package. Looking back, I think there was concern that Bryant was going to get abused all day. Early on, we ran more heavy fronts. It was after he was beaten a few times that we began to shift. And then when we went back, Brady hit Julio for that absurdly wide open TD.

I dont know what it is about that package that gives them so much trouble. It's as much the LBers being out of their fits as it is the DL not being ideally suited for it.

And I understand Shane wanting to establish the run. Did we shift strategy too late? I suppose. But it was also a game that we could get zero rhythm in, whether because of penalties or mental lapses. Either way, our between the tackles running game is a liability. Between Walkers desire to bounce everything wide, and Blythe not being sturdy enough, we are going to have problems against better defenses.

Agree that this year, the solution will have to be an uncommon blend of run off the pass, relying on Geno earlier in downs to lighten the box through the air, and what else... ? Not sure yet. I don't know if the FB is used in Shane's offense at all? Also don't know how much we run counter plays? We just need to do something to help open up holes inside.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I stand by the fact that this game was influenced a good bit by the refs not flagging the Bucs for some pretty agregious holds. Folks in my section were talking about it, and Nwosu looked like he was about to lose his Sh!T on one of the refs at one point. They effectively neutralized THE thing that stops Brady . Pressure.

To our credit, we pushed hard to the end. As poorly as we played, we just needed a stop to get the ball back and to be in position to win. That says a lot.

keasley45

Reaction score
The lack of pass rush against Brady was very noticeable. I rewatched the game and from I can tell the Seahawks just got pushed around at the line of scrimmage all game for the exception of the 4th quarter. Too little too late. A 14-point cushion is hard to overcome in this league.

One play that I found irritating was when Geno looked like he could of ran for a 1st down. I believe in the 2nd quarter. Instead, he decided to pass and threw an incompletion ending the drive.

All in all, I think the Seahawks just got beat. No excuses.
Yeah. That play of Geno's was really frustrating. The first was right there.

keasley45

Reaction score

And there you have it, folks. We brain screwed ourselves out of a winning strategy. Mone was a scratch and they gave the Bucs a defense they could run on. Why they sacrificed the gamelan that had brought a league leading pressure rate against a qb that can't move more than 8 ft in either direction in the pocket is beyond me. They literally abandoned the approach that brought them success.

Good thing - we beat ourselves. That's fixable.

keasley45

Reaction score
And a good lesson as much for the coaching staff as anything else. Whatever it is they're trying to implement in their 3-4 set isn't working. They look completely lost in the run and the pass.

Rainger

Reaction score
And a good lesson as much for the coaching staff as anything else. Whatever it is they're trying to implement in their 3-4 set isn't working. They look completely lost in the run and the pass.
think it is more complex than that. They watch film set a game plan, and then the adjustments are matched by adjustments. This game they lost the adjustment battle and I really think the time difference had a huge effect, but not making excuses. 11 and 6 baby

BASF

Reaction score

And there you have it, folks. We brain screwed ourselves out of a winning strategy. Mone was a scratch and they gave the Bucs a defense they could run on. Why they sacrificed the gamelan that had brought a league leading pressure rate against a qb that can't move more than 8 ft in either direction in the pocket is beyond me. They literally abandoned the approach that brought them success.

Good thing - we beat ourselves. That's fixable.
We expect to face them in the playoffs and don't want them ready to face what we will throw at them when it matters most.

Own The West

Reaction score
Barton said the Bucs came out with a different run package that they hadn't seen on tape, so props to the Bucs. We adjusted well and 'won' the second half, but couldn't overcome the 14 point deficit of the first.

Also, from the player quotes and what we saw, they had a fan event before the game and the young guys talked about how fun it was -- but obviously they weren't in a mindset to play football by game time.

Eh, whatever. It's the last time we'll play in Germany for decade.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
Our inability to generate pressure without blitzing is a problem. Way too many easy third down conversions for the Bucs.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I was wondering what the coaches had thought they saw on film that wasn't there on game day. They obviously had wrong game plans on both sides of the ball. Then I thought that maybe PC was playing the long game and not showing the league how to beat us like what happened after the tards (I think) went to 2-high safeties on RW and he couldn't win a game after that. Then I thought maybe it was just the fact that it was so damn early in the day, and Tampa Bay is used to getting up 3 hours ahead of us. I dunno, but I still believe in my Seahawks.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Aros, my man, this might be the one time I am more optimistic than you. If this team finishes 10-7 that would have to be considered an epic collapse.

This is the first time this team has played on grass since week 2 and they will not play on grass again until week 16 in KC. That has to be considered when we are wondering why the team looked like they were playing on skates. Tampa last played on turf in week 2 and has played on grass every game since then.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
10-7 would be an epic collapse? They would go from 6-3 to 10-7. So finishing 4-4 is an epic collapse? Do tell

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
This ^
Especially in the end zone. That was CLEARLY a hold in the end zone, should have been a Safety, and possible a game changing play.
Or the clear offensive PI that ended up in them magically picking up the flag.
Or DK being mugged in the end zone. Instead of 1st and goal from the one, the Hawks call a designed QB running play and TB forces a fumble.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I won't blame the officials for the loss. We did plenty ourselves to warrant the L but make no mistake, the officials indeed were looking the other way many times in this game. It's an insult to the Bucs and their solid game plan and execution to suggest it's because of the refs that they won but make no mistake, they benefited from the non calls as well.