Random Thoughts™ on the Saints game

Tical21

Reaction score
Good stuff as always.

Just a hodge-podge to pile onto the thread before I forget.

Man, Irvin can fly! He was beaten badly on that pass to Graham that he broke up. When I saw the play live, I was like "uh oh, Irvin just bit on that, they're going to pop one to Graham over his head". Then, I was completely amazed that he was the one that got all the way back there to break that thing up. He went from "Oh, Bleep!", to knocking the ball out in about half a second. Don't know that there is another LB in the NFL that could have broken that play up after biting so hard on the playfake.

One of the big plays was the 3rd and long conversion to Golden Tate on a screen to the right. Did you guys see Kearse's block? My goodness! Put a guy on skates for ten yards then rolled him up and got the pancake. That is a WR! Wow.

Kam Chancellor is fun to have. Even his normal tackles look like they hurt.

I have to give props to KJ. I thought he was very average, and was waiting for more explosive/splash plays from him before I would say he was a legitimate good player. Well, dude was a ball of fury last night, and has been for about a month now.

How good were the LB's at sniffing the screens?

Awesome slant to Tate. Beat press man with a slant. We're getting much better at this. Was it the Rams game where we got suffocated by the man press? Let them try that again. Best thing to happen to us.

Beat press man blitz big-time deep to Baldwin. Slants and fades gentlemen, slants and fades.

Percy will show the doubters. Do we need him? Maybe not. Maybe we'll find out. But we'll be better with him.

Clinton McDonald again.

The running game is a little concerning. But we've got some time to iron it out.

Oh yeah, that Wilson kid is pretty good.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":2bnneeud said:
Good stuff as always.

Just a hodge-podge to pile onto the thread before I forget.

Man, Irvin can fly! He was beaten badly on that pass to Graham that he broke up. When I saw the play live, I was like "uh oh, Irvin just bit on that, they're going to pop one to Graham over his head". Then, I was completely amazed that he was the one that got all the way back there to break that thing up. He went from "Oh, Bleep!", to knocking the ball out in about half a second. Don't know that there is another LB in the NFL that could have broken that play up after biting so hard on the playfake.

One of the big plays was the 3rd and long conversion to Golden Tate on a screen to the right. Did you guys see Kearse's block? My goodness! Put a guy on skates for ten yards then rolled him up and got the pancake. That is a WR! Wow.

Kam Chancellor is fun to have. Even his normal tackles look like they hurt.

I have to give props to KJ. I thought he was very average, and was waiting for more explosive/splash plays from him before I would say he was a legitimate good player. Well, dude was a ball of fury last night, and has been for about a month now.

How good were the LB's at sniffing the screens?

Awesome slant to Tate. Beat press man with a slant. We're getting much better at this. Was it the Rams game where we got suffocated by the man press? Let them try that again. Best thing to happen to us.

Beat press man blitz big-time deep to Baldwin. Slants and fades gentlemen, slants and fades.

Percy will show the doubters. Do we need him? Maybe not. Maybe we'll find out. But we'll be better with him.

Clinton McDonald again.

The running game is a little concerning. But we've got some time to iron it out.

Oh yeah, that Wilson kid is pretty good.

Too bad this is on page four. Great read.

The Kearse block was one of the things I forgot to include. I noticed that play in real time. Kearse was not a particularly good blocker at UW, but he's been a tyrant with the Seahawks. Tate and Baldwin are pretty beastly as well. Tate was actually a very poor blocker at Notre Dame. Our coaching staff is something else with regards to player development.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":c4bb3cdw said:
HawkWow":c4bb3cdw said:
Pandion Haliaetus":c4bb3cdw said:
Mikeak,

I think Harvin was to push the threshold on our play-making ability. But that's not just it either.

1. They were playing keep away from the 49ers, which was big if Harvin's injury didn't pre-exist prior to coming here.

2. Golden Tate isnt always a sure thing to stay and he's awesome but not franchise tag awesome. If Tate is going to be asking for 8 mil per, I think I'd take Harvin at 11 per nine times out of ten. And that 1 time is just questioning if Harvin can maintain his health in the future.

3. When Marshawn Lynch is done, Seahawks are going to need someone to pass the buck to that can burden the offense along with Wilson. Harvin is a swiss army knife of play-making ability. Teams will have to respect that, like they fear Lynch. Michael can become many things in the future, but Lynch is one of a kind, EVER.

"When Marshawn Lynch is done, Seahawks are going to need (Harvin) to pass the buck to that can burden the offense along with Wilson".

Yeah unlike the fragile Golden Tate, Harvin is uber-durable. Just comes to work, giving his best week in and week out, at camp, at practice and on the football field. Tate is all about Tate. Harvin ?...more the team player.

Percy Harvin is every Coach's dream and you can bet Wilson and the rest of Tate's 11-1 teammates will sure be glad to see Tate's sorry ass kicked to the curb! Piss off Golden Tate...'cuz here comes Percy Harvin.

Now THAT'S how you build a dynasty.

I don't get your point. Did I say Tate was fragile? No.

Nor did I say anything about Tate getting kicked to the curb, I just said he's not franchise tag material and Tate himself 1) not want to remain with the team 2) might price himself out of the range of what the Seahawks thinks he's worth.

All speculative and not facts.

But the fact is in talent Harvin is the better player than Tate, they are pretty much equals but Harvin is more faster, more athletically graceful (as in he makes everything look easy), and he's more explosive in the short to immediate passing game where he's better a getting separation.

If you want to use Harvin's injury history against him... go ahead.

I wasn't trying to discount Tate in any way, for all we know Seahawks will keep both, and cut Harvin after next season if it doesn't work out.

Also I had a sub point that got deleted in my original thread and it was Seahawks likely also knew Rice had issues with his knee, pre-Harvin which could have helped fan the trade fires.

Could also explain why the Seahawks drafted Chris Harper despite not having a huge need for WR at the time.

Briefly...yes, Harvin has a history of injury. That's a check against him. No? Tate does not.

We could likely have Tate and Baldwin for the price of Harvin (if a move were to be made, as you suggested in your post).

IMO, it would be insanity to put our marbles in the basket of Harvin and depend on him to carry the load left by a departing Lynch, as you suggest. Doing so should be grounds for executive dismissal.

Finally, as I stated, it wouldn't send a very good message to the team, or FAs, if we just dumped the 11-1 Tate for the non-contributing Harvin, as suggested in your post.

Before people's panties get all bunched up...re-read. I am not knocking Harvin in this post. But yes, you would have to read the entirety of this post to know this.

My main reason for explaining this was to bump the original post. Aloha.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
HawkWow":106fnr0w said:
Pandion Haliaetus":106fnr0w said:
HawkWow":106fnr0w said:
Pandion Haliaetus":106fnr0w said:
Mikeak,

I think Harvin was to push the threshold on our play-making ability. But that's not just it either.

1. They were playing keep away from the 49ers, which was big if Harvin's injury didn't pre-exist prior to coming here.

2. Golden Tate isnt always a sure thing to stay and he's awesome but not franchise tag awesome. If Tate is going to be asking for 8 mil per, I think I'd take Harvin at 11 per nine times out of ten. And that 1 time is just questioning if Harvin can maintain his health in the future.

3. When Marshawn Lynch is done, Seahawks are going to need someone to pass the buck to that can burden the offense along with Wilson. Harvin is a swiss army knife of play-making ability. Teams will have to respect that, like they fear Lynch. Michael can become many things in the future, but Lynch is one of a kind, EVER.

"When Marshawn Lynch is done, Seahawks are going to need (Harvin) to pass the buck to that can burden the offense along with Wilson".

Yeah unlike the fragile Golden Tate, Harvin is uber-durable. Just comes to work, giving his best week in and week out, at camp, at practice and on the football field. Tate is all about Tate. Harvin ?...more the team player.

Percy Harvin is every Coach's dream and you can bet Wilson and the rest of Tate's 11-1 teammates will sure be glad to see Tate's sorry ass kicked to the curb! Piss off Golden Tate...'cuz here comes Percy Harvin.

Now THAT'S how you build a dynasty.

I don't get your point. Did I say Tate was fragile? No.

Nor did I say anything about Tate getting kicked to the curb, I just said he's not franchise tag material and Tate himself 1) not want to remain with the team 2) might price himself out of the range of what the Seahawks thinks he's worth.

All speculative and not facts.

But the fact is in talent Harvin is the better player than Tate, they are pretty much equals but Harvin is more faster, more athletically graceful (as in he makes everything look easy), and he's more explosive in the short to immediate passing game where he's better a getting separation.

If you want to use Harvin's injury history against him... go ahead.

I wasn't trying to discount Tate in any way, for all we know Seahawks will keep both, and cut Harvin after next season if it doesn't work out.

Also I had a sub point that got deleted in my original thread and it was Seahawks likely also knew Rice had issues with his knee, pre-Harvin which could have helped fan the trade fires.

Could also explain why the Seahawks drafted Chris Harper despite not having a huge need for WR at the time.

Briefly...yes, Harvin has a history of injury. That's a check against him. No? Tate does not.

We could likely have Tate and Baldwin for the price of Harvin (if a move were to be made, as you suggested in your post).

IMO, it would be insanity to put our marbles in the basket of Harvin and depend on him to carry the load left by a departing Lynch, as you suggest. Doing so should be grounds for executive dismissal.

Finally, as I stated, it wouldn't send a very good message to the team, or FAs, if we just dumped the 11-1 Tate for the non-contributing Harvin, as suggested in your post.

Before people's panties get all bunched up...re-read. I am not knocking Harvin in this post. But yes, you would have to read the entirety of this post to know this.

My main reason for explaining this was to bump the original post. Aloha.

1. I wasn't trying to dimish anything Golden Tate has done for an 11-1 team as you keep pointing out. What I said about Tate in reference to Harvin's situation was speculative and not in any way concrete... just giving the audience reasoning as to why Seattle went after Harvin in the first place and rewarding him a big contract.

2a. I honestly could care less about Harvin one way or the other but he is part of this team for the time being, so I will stand by him, good or bad. I like that he can definately carry a passing attack with his ability and do it consistently from mediocre QBs.

2b. Tate has amazing ability in his own right, but the only game Harvin has played he created a magnetic resonance where every defender was aware of him at all times. It could have been old stomping grounds and the Vikings knowing what he can do. But in all the games I've seen Tate, I've never seen a defense change the way they play to try to nullify his ability. Maybe subtely but Harvin was pulling safeties away and he wasn't even 100% or in prime performance... what we saw was his iceberg.

And that is what I was refering to in terms of stepping in for Lynch, someday. Harvin has the ability to scare opposing defenses which creates opportunity for the rest of the team.

3. For all we know Seattle will figure out a way to keep Tate, they'll keep Baldwin bcuz he's an RFA, and keep Harvin for 2 years.

They very well could have signed Harvin to put them over the top while they determined they had one of the leagues best roster and to keep him away from the 49ers, and then release after 2 years.

What do we really know or how this will play out? We'll find out whether we like it or not.

And that does mean I like Golden Tate and unlike some people I don't give a damn about his immaturity because he's having fun.

Like the taunt against the Rams, I thinking he was taunting STLs DBs for the same reason Steve Smith wanted to punch them in the mouths after their game. They're just a bunch of classless jerkbags none more than Janoris Jenkins.

I love me some Tate... hope that makes you feel better hearing me say that.

olyfan63

Reaction score
kearly":335xudy5 said:
I would guess this game represented the lowest broken tackle rate by Lynch in at least a couple years. I wonder how many times those guys watched Beastquake this week?

LOL, what a great and oh-so-true golden nugget hidden by all the other fantastic analysis!!

Yeah, have to bet the Saints D was forced to sit through umpteen replays of Beastquake this week. Best tackling job Lynch has faced in a long time. For all the good it did the Saints in the end!

HawkWow

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":3fv27yrs said:
[1. I wasn't trying to dimish anything Golden Tate has done for an 11-1 team as you keep pointing out. What I said about Tate in reference to Harvin's situation was speculative and not in any way concrete... just giving the audience reasoning as to why Seattle went after Harvin in the first place and rewarding him a big contract.

2a. I honestly could care less about Harvin one way or the other but he is part of this team for the time being, so I will stand by him, good or bad. I like that he can definately carry a passing attack with his ability and do it consistently from mediocre QBs.

2b. Tate has amazing ability in his own right, but the only game Harvin has played he created a magnetic resonance where every defender was aware of him at all times. It could have been old stomping grounds and the Vikings knowing what he can do. But in all the games I've seen Tate, I've never seen a defense change the way they play to try to nullify his ability. Maybe subtely but Harvin was pulling safeties away and he wasn't even 100% or in prime performance... what we saw was his iceberg.

And that is what I was refering to in terms of stepping in for Lynch, someday. Harvin has the ability to scare opposing defenses which creates opportunity for the rest of the team.

3. For all we know Seattle will figure out a way to keep Tate, they'll keep Baldwin bcuz he's an RFA, and keep Harvin for 2 years.

They very well could have signed Harvin to put them over the top while they determined they had one of the leagues best roster and to keep him away from the 49ers, and then release after 2 years.

What do we really know or how this will play out? We'll find out whether we like it or not.

And that does mean I like Golden Tate and unlike some people I don't give a damn about his immaturity because he's having fun.

Like the taunt against the Rams, I thinking he was taunting STLs DBs for the same reason Steve Smith wanted to punch them in the mouths after their game. They're just a bunch of classless jerkbags none more than Janoris Jenkins.

Oh C'mon...Harvin's the new flava' and it's not like you're alone. At least one other poster here would dump Tate for Harvin, too. Being a gentleman, I won't disclose her identity.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
As usual your wrong Hawkwow. They will resign Tate you can take that to the bank unless he actually thinks his market is as an outside WR. The deal is they have a plan and and actually know who are their core players. Shocking I know.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
kearly":1m3vjp25 said:
Another gem I kept forgetting to include.

Watch the highlight of Bennett's fumble-catch TD. Jeremy Lane lays a MONSTER block, without it it's probably Seattle ball on the 10 or 15 yard line. I don't know how good of a corner Lane is, but he's damn awesome at everything else.

I wanted to make a post about this last night but didn't want to start a new thread. First thing that caught my eye upon rewatching

HawkGA

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this again Kearly. These are nice reads for those of us who don't get to watch the games much.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
HawkWow":o0z59uxw said:
Pandion Haliaetus":o0z59uxw said:
[1. I wasn't trying to dimish anything Golden Tate has done for an 11-1 team as you keep pointing out. What I said about Tate in reference to Harvin's situation was speculative and not in any way concrete... just giving the audience reasoning as to why Seattle went after Harvin in the first place and rewarding him a big contract.

Oh C'mon...Harvin's the new flava' and it's not like you're alone. At least one other poster here would dump Tate for Harvin, too. Being a gentleman, I won't disclose her identity.

Dude, what is your agenda?

You're reading too much into the context over a post that wasn't even addressed to you and now its come to this where twice you've blantantly called me a liar.

If only I had Kearly's popularity on this board where I can get away of calling other fans the idiots they are sometimes.