Predict Russell Wilson's Contract

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Apparently, Kaepernick's base deal is $110 million over six years, $18.3 million APY, with a $12 million signing bonus.

Then he has $16 million worth of incentives for accomplishing things like winning a Super Bowl, which we know he's never going to do. :49ersmall:

Seafan

Reaction score
8 year extension, $175M, $65M guaranteed. Large signing bonus with increasing base each each. Works well for the cap now and into the future.

It's too much money but settles the QB position for a long time and in the near future will be considered a bargain contract if he stays healthy.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I just hope they pay him enough to be able to afford platform shoes. I'm tired of having a QB not tall enough to play in the league.

Escamillo

Reaction score
Meeker":239z5bas said:
He also said he wants to own an NFL franchise someday...he will need to squeeze every last penny out of his contracts that he can to even think of reaching that dream.

One needs to be a multi-billionaire to own a team. The difference between making 22mil and 16mil per year as as a QB has no impact on that. RWvmay want to own a team someday, but a QB salary won't be nearly enough to do it, so I doubt that goal would have much impact on negotiating a QB salary.

Escamillo

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2z945lw5 said:
You can't compare Wilson to Brady. First of all, Tom Brady had already made a ton of money before re-doing his deal. Secondly, he took a bit less in exchange for a fully guaranteed deal, which is a huge risk for New England considering Brady's age. Thirdly, his wife is worth even more money than he is. With combined net worth, he's already a billionaire.

I think you're living in a fantasy, bro. Shortchanging Wilson would also set terrible precedent for the team. We have the rest of the core locked up, and now we can afford to pay Wilson too.

SF isn't overpaying. They are paying what other QBs in his tier are making. If you think it's crazy that they'd pay him more money than Jay Cutler, then I don't know what to tell you.

We won't know if SF is overpaying or mot until we see the results. Their measure for success isn't merely being a consistent contender, but is to win a Super Bowl. They're paying Kaep elite money to achieve that. If they don't achieve their threshold of success, then they arguably overpaid, by their own measuring stick.

I don't get the insistence on using Jay Cutler as a benchmark on what QBs must be paid. If anything, Cutler, Romo, Bradford, and the like should serve as cautionary tales, as warnings against paying mon-elite players elite money just because they are "franchise" QBs. "Franchise QB" is not equivalent to "elite QB", it just denotes a QB that a franchise has decided to go with as the starting QB for the foreseeable future. But people insist on equating the terms "franchise QB" and "elite QB", then pay non-elite QBs elite money, and wreck their salary structure and team in the process.

Those of you calling for paying RW elite-QB money are on solid ground only if you believe he is an elite QB. If you're instead calling for it just because, "Well, that's the market for 'franchise QBs', be they elite or not", then you are on shaky ground and are falling into the same trap as Dallas, Chicago, Baltimore, St. Louis, et al, of paying a non-elite franchise QB elite-QB money.

Two last thoughts:
1. The reason QB salaries have become so gargantuan is because it became conventional wisdom that "This as a passing league, a QB-driven league, so you MUST have a franchise QB passing for 350 yards per game to win, so money is no object when it comes to that position, even if it necessitates gambling on a guy to become elite when he's yet to demonstrate such ability.". That conventional wisdom has proven to be false on multiple occasions.

2. No team with a QB making elite-QB money has ever won a Super Bowl. The pattern has been: win a Super Bowl, then pay your QB elite-QB money, then never win another Super Bowl. That's the most successful pattern. The worse pattern has been: pay your QB elite-QB money before ever winning a SB, then never win a SB. If that pattern holds, then Seattle, Indy, and Wash have a one-year window to win a(nother) SB, because after next year, their QBs will all be making elite money, which history has shown is not the way to win a Super Bowl. Those teams will be hoping that the pattern doesn't hold. But if it does, then maybe in a few years, when the QB salary playing field has been leveled such that every good team is allocating 20+ mil to the QB position, so they're are no good teams with the advantage of a lower salaried QB allowing them to have a more well-rounded team (like the 2013 Seahawks), then Seattle, Indy, Washington, and Carolina can win SBs again.

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
The thing everyone seems to forget is that the players association has to approve the contract. Remember Brady tried to take less and the PA denied the contract. Wilson will have to get fair market value or they will not allow the contract to be ratified. However, Guaranteed money allows contracts to be lower in overall money. If you go through Flacco's contract it is very Cap friendly for the first 3 years and then gets Big in 2016 28 million big. That is he will basically receive 62 million first three years and have Cap figures of 6.8,14.8,14.55. Expect his contract to be even more heavily front loaded and team friendly in the later years. We are also leaving out signing bonuses so it could go cheaper.
So 7/145, 75 Guaranteed 35 signing bonus with high first 3 year salaries, If say his cap number was 27, 20, 18, . In the front end his remaining years would be, 15, 12, 10, 8. Depending on bonus and guarantee structure, I believe that could get it done. And when he is hitting the Cap hard is when no one else In the core, as of now, is needing large space.

Although if the salary cap goes bananas like to 150+ then a heavy first year hit on the Cap would be brilliant and then reasonable the remaining years. so like 30, 18, 15,13, 12, 12, 10. Anyway, now that I am done thinking and speculating at your expense.
:180670:

7/145 75 Guaranteed 35 signing bonus

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Now that the details of kaeps contract are out and they are much more team friendly than first reported who wants to change thier tune here? Or do you really think Wilson would rather bury the team than win?

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
Basis4day":2mczyjtz said:
6 year extension (+1 year left on his contract). 135 million, 68 guaranteed.

I would be pretty happy with this deal. Just please FO do not give him Rogers money. Lol

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hawknballs":1grsp4g5 said:
Or do you really think Wilson would rather bury the team than win?

Begging the question ITT.

He'll get a bigger contract than Kaep with more guarantees, and it won't amount to "burying the team."

warden

Reaction score
EastCoastHawksFan":2iw9ffsx said:
8 years 150 mil , 130mil guaranteed
You can't have 8 year contracts due to the CBA

warden

Reaction score
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2h
Word around NFL is that when Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson get new deals next year, they will come in between $24-$25 million per year.

Sherminator

Reaction score
warden":kaxtsohb said:
Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter · 2h
Word around NFL is that when Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson get new deals next year, they will come in between $24-$25 million per year.

Keep in mind Wilson is the same guy who claimed he wanted to own a sports franchise.
Not doing that on less than 20mil a year

Anthony!

Reaction score
ctrcat":1ityhbqp said:
SeatownJay":1ityhbqp said:
Next offseason is going to be interesting for QB signings. Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Foles & Tannehill will all be eligible for renegotions.

So is Newton with the highest ceiling of them all, he'll be on the 5th year option next year but the renegotiation will be in full force.

perhaps but who is to say newton has the highest ceiling, I am not I would not take Newton over Rw at all.

Anthony!

Reaction score
irocdave":9859oecu said:
Wilson will not take less than market value. He would be an idiot to do that, which he is not. Will he leave some wiggle room, of course, at the end of the contract.
The reality of the situation is that he has a SB ring (We all owe a debt of gratitude to the entire 2014 team for this) and Kap doesn't so he is worth more per year and guarantied money. RW still hasn't proven he can carry a team like Tom B has, but it is what it is. QB's get the big bucks and the GM / HC gamble (stake) their reputation and carrier on finding "the guy".
It's easy to commit to Joe Montana 20 years later, or better yet Steve Young and punting Montana after the fact. This is where you put all the eggs in one basket and say "yea, he's my guy" and gamble the next 5-10 years of the franchise's future. PC / JS haven't had to do that yet, they have been dipping their toes in the water but next offseason is when they need to take the dive ( commitment) or go another route.

I wont be happy with an alternate route, RW deserves more money per year and more guarantied money than Kap. Yes it will hurt even with a larger salary cap to work with.

good post disagree with the carry the team Rw has shown when he needs to he can and against great defenses