Predict Russell Wilson's Contract

DJrmb

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":3c78u4u8 said:
DJrmb":3c78u4u8 said:
LOL

And for those that were thinking Russell Wilson was going to get around 12-16M... Go take a hike...

Even if RW will take less it's in Seattle's best interest to at least make the numbers look very similar, if not better than Tatts...

Sticking by my story

He's going to pull a Brady and take a team friendly deal. How many Superbowl has Brady been in? The answer is 5. How many conference championship game has he been in? 8. That is insane.

He wants to be the greatest of all time, and he knows he needs the tools around him. One of us will eat crow. I'm betting its not me and you all should hope its not me.

SF is making a huge mistake. This will hamper their team. Over paying by about 5 million IMO and that's the cost of another pro bowler on your team

You neglect to mention that Brady took this most recent extension AFTER he'd already signed a HUGE blockbuster deal making him the highest paid QB in the game at the time (18M per year in 2010). Brady had already made his money, thus affording him the ability to take less annually than he may have been able to push for. It's also fully guaranteed so while yeah it does help the team up front it's not very team friendly if he gets injured or if his play drops off in the last few years when he'll be approaching 40 years old. Comparing Brady's last extension to Russell Wilson's first is pretty Apple's to Orange's. Lets look at something a little closer in comparison.

When Brady Signed his last big deal (when he was still considered in his prime) he signed for 4 years 18M per year and the salary cap was 120M at the time. That puts him at making 15% of the total cap space.

The cap for 2016 when Wilson will be getting his new deal is projected to be up to around 160M, but lets take the lowest prediction I've seen of 150M cap. 15% of a 150M cap would be 22.5M per year.

In those years that Brady was the highest paid QB in the history of the game the Patriots went to a SuperBowl, had one of the most prolific scoring years in NFL history, and went to the playoffs every single year. So how much did Brady's blockbust deal "Hurt the team"? I do not buy that argument for one second. We can pay Russell the Salary he damn well deserves AND still win!!!

That being said, it doesn't mean Wilson is going to try and milk Seattle for everything he can. He will most certainly sign a deal that 1. is very team friendly in structure and where the money hits the heaviest and 2. Has plenty of flexibility in case changes are needed in the future.

Meeker

Reaction score
kthebestwayw":31aor5w4 said:
DJrmb":31aor5w4 said:
LOL

And for those that were thinking Russell Wilson was going to get around 12-16M... Go take a hike...

Even if RW will take less it's in Seattle's best interest to at least make the numbers look very similar, if not better than Tatts...

Sticking by my story

He's going to pull a Brady and take a team friendly deal. How many Superbowl has Brady been in? The answer is 5. How many conference championship game has he been in? 8. That is insane.

He wants to be the greatest of all time, and he knows he needs the tools around him. One of us will eat crow. I'm betting its not me and you all should hope its not me.

SF is making a huge mistake. This will hamper their team. Over paying by about 5 million IMO and that's the cost of another pro bowler on your team

He also said he wants to own an NFL franchise someday...he will need to squeeze every last penny out of his contracts that he can to even think of reaching that dream.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Well a lot hinges on how the season goes..

If we do not repeat:
6 years/$132M, $66M guaranteed

If we do repeat
6 years/$144M, $72M guaranteed

I'd say he's worth about 21-22M a year right now.. 24-25M a year with a 2nd Super Bowl in 3 years.

Largent80

Reaction score
It will be similar but way better. It will coincide with how much better he is than Kaeperchoke.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Next offseason is going to be interesting for QB signings. Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Foles & Tannehill will all be eligible for renegotions.

kearly

Reaction score
They paid Lynch a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Red Bryant a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Unger a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Chancellor a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Sherman a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Thomas a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Baldwin a little bit more than I thought they would.

Wilson? I'm thinking $21 million per year with a record number for guaranteed money. But it will probably be a little more than that. JS is one generous dude.

pmedic920

Reaction score
IMHO whatever deal he gets will be good for RW and smart for the Seahawks.
The team is developing a track record of doing the right thing. I don't see them going off track on his deal.
That being said I've been flipping through the sports channels, the big question is....
Have the 9ers jumped the gun on Kap's deal?
Time will tell on that but I don't see the Hawks in that same scenario.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
No slight on Kaep but if Kaep got 6 yr, $126M then Russell Wilson's deal will be higher than that. He has produced more than Kaep has. I think he's going to be in the 6 yr $130-140M range. Remember he has a SB ring under his belt, something Kaep doesn't at this point in time.

253hawk

Reaction score
No need for a big contract. Russ wants to be an NFL owner someday...maybe Allen can just cut him in on a deal when he's ready to depart this earth.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
kearly":4um2exnk said:
They paid Lynch a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Red Bryant a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Unger a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Chancellor a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Sherman a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Thomas a little bit more than I thought they would.

They paid Baldwin a little bit more than I thought they would.

Wilson? I'm thinking $21 million per year with a record number for guaranteed money. But it will probably be a little more than that. JS is one generous dude.

Kam Chancellor: 4 yrs/ $28 million, $7 million APY, $7.8 million guaranteed.

That's a bargain for the best SS in the game.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
hawknation2014":14iqmh5b said:

Kam was way better in 2013 than he was in 2012, the year he got paid.

If Kam got paid this year, his contract would be more than 4/28

ctrcat

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3jwt1w5j said:
Next offseason is going to be interesting for QB signings. Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Foles & Tannehill will all be eligible for renegotions.

So is Newton with the highest ceiling of them all, he'll be on the 5th year option next year but the renegotiation will be in full force.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Not going to predict what he'll get, that seems pointless.

However I will say that when you factor in whatever the cap increase next year is, I'm going to predict it will be proportionately much more cap friendly than kaep's deal.

RW isn't going to screw himself out of a huge payday but neither do I think he misunderstands that he can't bet he greatest QB ever if he doesn't have a great team around him. Very few athletes blatantly come out and say "I don't want to be great, I want to be the best of all time" before they are already well on their way.

Until he proves otherwise I'll take RW at his "too good to be true" face value and say his deal will be easier on the team.

A lot of people in RW's shoes would have taken the baseball millions and run when they had the chance, but this guy wanted to play football, and I think he wants to play at the highest level. That means making sure he has the right guys around him. He's smart enough to know he's going to have more money than he knows what to do with either way.

irocdave

Reaction score
Wilson will not take less than market value. He would be an idiot to do that, which he is not. Will he leave some wiggle room, of course, at the end of the contract.
The reality of the situation is that he has a SB ring (We all owe a debt of gratitude to the entire 2014 team for this) and Kap doesn't so he is worth more per year and guarantied money. RW still hasn't proven he can carry a team like Tom B has, but it is what it is. QB's get the big bucks and the GM / HC gamble (stake) their reputation and carrier on finding "the guy".
It's easy to commit to Joe Montana 20 years later, or better yet Steve Young and punting Montana after the fact. This is where you put all the eggs in one basket and say "yea, he's my guy" and gamble the next 5-10 years of the franchise's future. PC / JS haven't had to do that yet, they have been dipping their toes in the water but next offseason is when they need to take the dive ( commitment) or go another route.

I wont be happy with an alternate route, RW deserves more money per year and more guarantied money than Kap. Yes it will hurt even with a larger salary cap to work with.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2qmti4q7 said:
hawknation2014":2qmti4q7 said:

Kam was way better in 2013 than he was in 2012, the year he got paid.

If Kam got paid this year, his contract would be more than 4/28

Yeah, this. I questioned how much we gave Kam at the time. In hindsight it was a great deal.

seanutz

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2borl6av said:
It will be over $20 million a year but back loaded in case he's willing to restructure down the road to add more talent to win another Super Bowl. Wilson should get more guaranteed money than Kaepernick, maybe $65-70 million.
:13: :179422: :13:
But if he wins another Super Bowl :thirishdrinkers: .....then he definitely will get more!!!