Poll is it really as bad as it looked or just a bump in the road

Was week one an anomaly or a harbinger of doom

• Total voters

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
What do we think? is this still team we were all super excited about in the offseason? Was this just a weird 1st game fluke?

Scout

Reaction score
I think the defense will improve. Last year looked the same with a bad start, but then I think PC was more involved and we started to see progress. I think this year is a repeat but it is tiresome to see the same song and dance over and over again with a DC with no experience being promoted. But the problem is that PC picked Hurtt and Hurtt isn't showing any growth as a DC so far. Hurtt has to do a lot to impress me because I was not impressed by his work last season.

The offense will not take long to find its footing as the play calling by Waldron for the most part is fine. To me the key on offense is play selection variety by throwing in a few new wrinkles assuming opposing NFL DCs have figured certain tendencies of Waldron/Geno.

Walker is still beastly with his acceleration and there isn't enough pro tape on MciIntosh and Charbonnet. So leaning on Walker and the two rookie backs is a great idea which aligns with what the Hawks need on offense due to the injuries at both OT spots. From there play action will still allow MetCalf, JSN and Lockett to be factors.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
What do we think? is this still team we were all super excited about in the offseason? Was this just a weird 1st game fluke?
I think it was a combination. I think we’re about to do our usual slow start, improve as the season goes along.

I also think we’re gonna be chasing the rams and 9ers for the division from the rear - and again hoping certain teams lose in the stretch to the playoffs.

Not Defcon 1 yet - but drop the lions game and split the giants and panthers and we’re in a world of hurt IMO.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Look at the rest of schedule. Pick out the teams with competent offensive coaches/coordinators/QBs. We will struggle against those teams unless the pass rush improves quick. Whether they have to manufacture pressure or the front four has to step up, doesn't matter. But coverage can't cover all day.

On offense I was excited for this season, but with the tackles out, it's like a wet blanket. So we will see.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
All will be fixed and the naysayers will feel silly when the Seahawks win the Super Bowl.

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Chukarhawk, Timely Question of the Day Award 🏆.

I'm a bit bummed with the Hawk's starting the season with so many injuries, having no real proven Nose Tackle on defense, and now the injuries to both of their starting Offensive Tackles. Reviewing the schedule, it looks like maybe a 2-4 start to me.

That being said though, some players ought to be coming back off of the injury list after week 4, which coincides with the week 5 bye. Then on the road to play the Cincinnati Bengals. Which team will be healthier that week?

Seahawks are being "too cute" currently on defense by moving so many players out of their normal positions. I'm hoping that the coaches get this "cuteness" out of their systems by week 7, and player roles are more firmly established.

Rookies I'd like to see get some experience prior to seasons end:
1 - NT Cameron Young
2 - OG Anthony Bradford
3 - OC Olu Oluwatimi (Honorable Mention)

Every team will be beat up by week 17 - Depth will play a role, and the Hawk's seem to have good depth at most positions.

kidhawk

Reaction score
It's probably hope more than actual belief, but I selected slow start with the defense getting better.

I will say that I had zero concerns about the offense going into Sunday, but I now have strong concerns about the offense. I hope a week of practice with the new Tackles will help smooth things out, but we definitely need to get the offense on track quickly or we will have a long year.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Question:

Is it taboo for somebody to mention that with 4 good WR's, 3 good TE's, and 3 good RB's, that Geno Smith passed for exactly 115 yards during the entire game?

Not that I brought it up...

Preaching to the choir here. The offense fell apart in the second half. I think that a lot of this was due to losing our tackles in quick succession. I specifically remember one play where Donald came in free at Geno and him yelling "Oh My God" loud enough where it was audible on the broadcast. That, to me, pretty much summed up how the offense looked in the 2nd half on Sunday. As I stated above, I really hope it was due to the tackles leaving in quick succession. Leaving us with backups at both positions. A weakness that a Pass Rushing team like the Rams took full advantage of. I would assume that the backups will get more time in practice this week and they can work out a game plan. If they can do this, I still love the weapons we have available.

Although rusty in the first half, the offense was still putting up points consistently. if we didn't miss the kick at the end of the 1st half, we'd have had 4 scoring drives in the first half. that's more than we had yards in the 2nd half prior to the final drive. IMO something caused it and the only real reason I can see is the tackle situation.

Wheetie

Reaction score
Really only depends on one thing IMO, will they adjust their schemes to be more aggressive on both sides of the ball or not. If yes, count me in on the optimistic side, if not, record of sub .500 at best. They have the personnel to make some noise, but they are all neutered in these current schemes.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We all develop group thinking that things will change and the D will improve, yet what you saw on Sunday sure didn't look like anyone was improved, or anyone knew what to do to stop the bleeding over the middle.

I want to believe the team will eventually be better and quite competitive. However, I cannot recall a season home opener where the team looked as poor as the team looked on Sunday.

There is a lot of work for the staff to get done

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
11-6, my preseason prediction hasn't changed. 5 more losses to go max.
Talk to me after the lions game!

Again, if the Lions slaughter us, and we split the next 2 before the bye - well - .500 is looking up.

We go 1-3 into the bye and it's gonna be trouble. I hope we don't. Just saying is all.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's a mixture. We will look good in some games this year, and we will look like we did against the Rams in others. We might sneak into the playoffs.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Talk to me after the lions game!

Again, if the Lions slaughter us, and we split the next 2 before the bye - well - .500 is looking up.

We go 1-3 into the bye and it's gonna be trouble. I hope we don't. Just saying is all.
Agreed. The Lions game will help determine if last Sunday was an anomaly or the start of a trend.

This is supposed to be the easy part of our schedule. Cowboys, Eagles, Bengals, and both Niners games are all on the back 9. We go 1-3 to open the season and our odds of even going to the playoffs drop like a rock, not to mention the realization that our expectations, ie contending for the SB, were way over inflated.

rcaido

Reaction score
Still too early to tell...I had them going 7-10 or 8-9 depending on how the Rams play them. Right now with the injuries, its not looking good. Actually it can get really ugly. Seahawks needs to go 2-2 at the bye (week 5). If they can get the bookends back after there is chance to save the season.

49ers seem the most dominate in the NFC. Then there are the Eagles & Cowboys which im not 100% sold these two. Then the Lions. Then the rest are pretty much going to be fighting for the remaining wild card spots.

Latest posts