Pick #64, 2nd Round: OT Justin Britt, Missouri

TheWebHead

Reaction score
Here's the entire South Carolina vs. Missouri 2013 game... Britt holds his own, most of the time 1 on 1
[youtube]71HMGeWDNiQ[/youtube]

Here's the condensed version... it was a pretty exciting double OT game
[youtube]Mb-8ePTyOnQ[/youtube]

FWIW from Dybas:
Cable said the #Seahawks had targeted two OL guys. One went earlier, so, that left them with Britt. #Seahawks

Ja'wuan James had a workout with Cable went #19, XSF went #33.. Kind of think original plan was Easley at #32, Richardson at #64 and hope for Britt, otherwise Richardson tradeback(s), XSF at #64 (very unlikely) or else Britt.

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
HawkAroundTheClock":1ah4cv7s said:
Seahawk Sailor":1ah4cv7s said:
Tech Worlds":1ah4cv7s said:
Couldn't we have gotten this guy a round or two later?

Don't like this one either.

Word from the main man is no; he would have vanished a few picks later. And I also heard he was our second choice at the position. One other player they had rated a bit higher went before they could grab him, but they were happy Britt fell to us when he did.

J-Sizzle said the Seahawks war room predicted a run at tackle. 2 of the 3 picks after us were tackles. 2 more tackles were picked toward the end of the 3rd. Schneid knows his stuff.

Yea he do! Wanted Richardson. Traded down twice, picked up two extra picks. Still got Richardson. Wanted Britt. Snagged him just before he'd have been snagged by someone else. That's stone cold Einsteinian right there.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
TheWebHead":3iwz5evt said:
Here's the entire South Carolina vs. Missouri 2013 game... Britt holds his own, most of the time 1 on 1
[youtube]71HMGeWDNiQ[/youtube]

FWIW from Dybas:
Cable said the #Seahawks had targeted two OL guys. One went earlier, so, that left them with Britt. #Seahawks

Ja'wuan James had a workout with Cable went #19, XSF went #33.. Kind of think original plan was Easley at #32, Richardson at #64 and hope for Britt, otherwise Richardson tradeback(s), XSF at #64 (very unlikely) or else Britt.

Nah it was Richardson at 32

QuahHawk

Reaction score
JS mentioned they only had a few highly rated OT's left and they had to get one before a run on them, then it went Britt, Moses, Turner.

CBSsport.com was reporting Antonio Richardson with our first pick and I was super happy. I think we need a Tackle that can move to LT is/when Okung gets injured again. Putt Britt at T next to Sweezy both mean bad ass scrappy guys who have a wrestling background and I think they will work well together.

TheWebHead

Reaction score

It was reported to be Easley at #32, but Pats took him. JS said they'd then pick Richardson at #32 barring no trade partner, but that was based on who was still on the board when they picked at #32.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
TheWebHead":tai14c7o said:

It was reported to be Easley at #32, but Pats took him. JS said they'd then pick Richardson at #32 barring no trade partner, but that was based on who was still on the board when they picked at #32.

Ah ha! Got it

plyka

Reaction score
Pandion Haliaetus":37w0jsnv said:
DavidSeven":37w0jsnv said:
For those that call it a reach: You honestly can't call it a reach unless you have watched his tape and put a grade on him. Do you know where other teams graded him? No. All you know is what you see on some media produced mocks that become increasingly inaccurate as we go deeper into the draft.

What do you hate about this pick besides your knee jerk reaction based on some half-baked Kiper/McShay mock?

Exactly.

What bothers me is people continue to use the Carpenter/Moffitt arguments as if means something to Cable. And every single time I ask those people in the 2011, what linemen should we have drafted instead that would have done better instead.

Is it Cable's fault, that a lock-out plus 2 serious knee injuries derailed Carpenter's career?

Is it Cable's fault, that Moffitt's heart wasn't seriously into football and wasn't as tough as he looked at Wisconsin? Cable gave him every opportunity to earn his position and he got out played by Sweezy.

But again ALL YOU HATERS look at the 2011 Draft and tell me what O-Linemen should the Seahawks have drafted because in retrospect that year for O-Linemen is probably the worst I've seen since following the drafts. Just downright poor talent but we needed O-Line in 2011 in the worst way.

Judging from your post, i guess the better question is who passed the law in 2011 that the Seahawks had to draft 2 linemen. If there aren't any good players at the position, then select other players.

I, like most, never knew this player. I've been watching some tape since he was drafted this afternoon and I am sorely disappointed. You can tell that the Hawks themselves were not excited with either player drafted today --hence why they moved back in the draft and probably would have moved back again if able. They were forced into a selection, and these players felt like "the least bad" to PC/JS.

Looking at Britt, the guy is a plodder, much like Moffit. Slow with feet like they are stuck in mud. He also does not look powerful, at all, for his size. Has no speed, seems weak and doesn't have any unique or incredible talent. If you had a pick right now between Britt or Alvin Bailey/Michael Bowie --who would you pick? My order would be:

1) Bailey
2) Bowie
3) Britt

Just not a good player from what i've seen. Then we get to Richardson...eehhmmm, meh...basically hear sounds coming out of my mouth that make you think this guy is underwhelmed. The Hawks had one GLARING weakness at a position where talent is so obvious that it's hard to draft high value players deep ---that's a red zone threat (weakness) at the WR position. They needed that Josh Gordon ---the guy with size and athletic ability to put the fear of death into defenders. They did not get that guy, even though at least 5 WRs that fit the bill were available. Why not Brandon Colman (my fav), or Martavius Bryant (2nd best) or Moncrief or Robinson, or i can name many more. Instead a 5'2 midget that may get tackled if its a stormy day at the CLINK and a strong breeze works its way through the stadium. Just a horrible draft so far, but i'm not surprised.

Have we not learned yet? PC/JS are HORRIBLE with early round picks. If they get top half of the 1st round, they are pretty good --but once they get late 1st- early 3rd, they are just not that good. They pick players that can be had in the 5th round. But then they save themselves with the later rounds --great picks here. Which begs the question, why not trade away your first entirely for 4 draft picks from the 3rd-6th rounds?

Timmahawk

Reaction score
TheWebHead":2mg5fdlk said:

Our board must only have like 12 guys on it.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Lord Plyka has spoken. Is it too late to ring up Schneider and see if he can get a refund from Goodell on our draft picks?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
plyka":1bvqnxtz said:
[q
Have we not learned yet? PC/JS are HORRIBLE with early round picks. If they get top half of the 1st round, they are pretty good --but once they get late 1st- early 3rd, they are just not that good.

Golden Tate, Bobby Wagner, Christine Michael, and Russell freakin' Wilson were 2nd round-early 3rd round picks. What are you even talking about?

OP
OP
Seahawk Sailor

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
plyka":bkm06fgk said:
Why not Brandon Colman (my fav), or Martavius Bryant (2nd best) or Moncrief or Robinson, or i can name many more. Instead a 5'2 midget that may get tackled if its a stormy day at the CLINK and a strong breeze works its way through the stadium. Just a horrible draft so far, but i'm not surprised.

Well, Brandon Coleman (a favorite of mine too) is still available, sitting a mere seven picks away from us. It's likely that if we want him, we can have him. It wouldn't surprise me at all if we picked him in the 4th, so you may see us get both for the price of one, since we traded down twice to pick up two picks, while acquiring Richardson. Also, he's easily six foot, almost 6'1", and is beefing up considerably already.

plyka":bkm06fgk said:
Looking at Britt, the guy is a plodder, much like Moffit. Slow with feet like they are stuck in mud. He also does not look powerful, at all, for his size. Has no speed, seems weak and doesn't have any unique or incredible talent. If you had a pick right now between Britt or Alvin Bailey/Michael Bowie --who would you pick? My order would be:

1) Bailey
2) Bowie
3) Britt

Moffitt's real downside was his desire to play in the NFL, or apparently, do anything constructive with his life. And he's not being compared to Moffitt really; he's being compared mostly to Breno. He's got some fire, some attitude. He'll be fine.

And of course anyone would rank those guys in that order. That's the whole deal with being a raw rookie out of college. He's not going to come in and start immediately; few guys have the ability to do that, especially on the line. (And at WR for that matter). He's going to compete right away with Bowie for the position, so chances are they've seen something indicating he could win the starting position there. That's an upgrade in my book.

I think we're probably not quite as set as the most optimistic of us would think, but much better off than the pessimists fear.

chris98251

Reaction score
plyka":3em79oq7 said:
Pandion Haliaetus":3em79oq7 said:
DavidSeven":3em79oq7 said:
For those that call it a reach: You honestly can't call it a reach unless you have watched his tape and put a grade on him. Do you know where other teams graded him? No. All you know is what you see on some media produced mocks that become increasingly inaccurate as we go deeper into the draft.

What do you hate about this pick besides your knee jerk reaction based on some half-baked Kiper/McShay mock?

Exactly.

What bothers me is people continue to use the Carpenter/Moffitt arguments as if means something to Cable. And every single time I ask those people in the 2011, what linemen should we have drafted instead that would have done better instead.

Is it Cable's fault, that a lock-out plus 2 serious knee injuries derailed Carpenter's career?

Is it Cable's fault, that Moffitt's heart wasn't seriously into football and wasn't as tough as he looked at Wisconsin? Cable gave him every opportunity to earn his position and he got out played by Sweezy.

But again ALL YOU HATERS look at the 2011 Draft and tell me what O-Linemen should the Seahawks have drafted because in retrospect that year for O-Linemen is probably the worst I've seen since following the drafts. Just downright poor talent but we needed O-Line in 2011 in the worst way.

Judging from your post, i guess the better question is who passed the law in 2011 that the Seahawks had to draft 2 linemen. If there aren't any good players at the position, then select other players.

I, like most, never knew this player. I've been watching some tape since he was drafted this afternoon and I am sorely disappointed. You can tell that the Hawks themselves were not excited with either player drafted today --hence why they moved back in the draft and probably would have moved back again if able. They were forced into a selection, and these players felt like "the least bad" to PC/JS.

1) Bailey
2) Bowie
3) Britt

Just not a good player from what i've seen. Then we get to Richardson...eehhmmm, meh...basically hear sounds coming out of my mouth that make you think this guy is underwhelmed. The Hawks had one GLARING weakness at a position where talent is so obvious that it's hard to draft high value players deep ---that's a red zone threat (weakness) at the WR position. They needed that Josh Gordon ---the guy with size and athletic ability to put the fear of death into defenders. They did not get that guy, even though at least 5 WRs that fit the bill were available. Why not Brandon Colman (my fav), or Martavius Bryant (2nd best) or Moncrief or Robinson, or i can name many more. Instead a 5'2 midget that may get tackled if its a stormy day at the CLINK and a strong breeze works its way through the stadium. Just a horrible draft so far, but i'm not surprised.

Have we not learned yet? PC/JS are HORRIBLE with early round picks. If they get top half of the 1st round, they are pretty good --but once they get late 1st- early 3rd, they are just not that good. They pick players that can be had in the 5th round. But then they save themselves with the later rounds --great picks here. Which begs the question, why not trade away your first entirely for 4 draft picks from the 3rd-6th rounds?

Well here's something for everyone due to the raining on our parade posts that we can't do anything right as a front office come draft day.

Umbrellas

Except win a Super Bowl, we really suck as a front office.

Seaswab

Reaction score
So Cable talked us into reaching for another lineman. Better not be another turd.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
plyka":2cgnb87g said:
Have we not learned yet? PC/JS are HORRIBLE with early round picks.

You are frustrated because you are using a metric that Pete and John are not using. They have a consistent philosophy regarding who they get and when they get them. They have a track record, yet people continue to judge them based on a generic "best player available" or "value" approach.

Our front office emphasizes attitude, background, and the whole person to a degree that I don't think most teams do. All the UDFA's with something to prove and the "reaches" like Irvin, and now Robinson, are on the team where we get them BECAUSE it affects their drive, motivation, coachability, etc. The championship vibe of the Seahawks locker room IS WHAT IT IS because of how Pete and John draft and where they get their guys.

The feeling at the facility would be WAY DIFFERENT if our front office drafted like most of the other teams, following the rubrics of the expert mockers. For our Super Bowl Champion organization, top-tier consensus-pick guys like Earl Thomas, Russell Okung, and Percy Harvin (even though we didn't draft him) are the exception to the PC/JS rule. And I'd say overall, their rule rules.

That's what I've learned.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Seaswab":1y8rcv3t said:
So Cable talked us into reaching for another lineman. Better not be another turd.

Watch out! The thought police will be out in force. How dare you even question a decision that our front office makes. To the gallows with you!

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":16fllfqj said:
Lord Plyka has spoken. Is it too late to ring up Schneider and see if he can get a refund from Goodell on our draft picks?
Remember this is the 'Hawks' FO your talking about here. Done and done.

Both picks have now vanished...*poof*

dradee

Reaction score
BeaHUman":vcip9yns said:
"Justin Britt dominated Jadeveon Clowney in the South Carolina game"

That's a good sign, negate the #1 pick.....

We need the video evidence!

I see it above, hope he works out!

Rob12

Reaction score
It is entertaining to read the negative thoughts on the PC/JS draft picks.

Their knowledge on these players and how they fit is so ridiculously beyond ours that it isn't even funny. I don't know anything about Justin Britt, but I have developed a blind trust for what these two men see and the vision that they have for these players and how they fit with the Super Bowl winning organization that they have built here. Really guys, they are literally the best duo in the world when it comes to constructing an elite NFL roster. Read that again. They are literally the best duo in the world when it comes to constructing a SUPER BOWL WINNING NFL ROSTER. Before hating these picks, ask yourself how you felt about the drafting of our quarterback, two of our starting corners, our safety, our linebacker who won the SB MVP, and countless other players who were nobodies on draft day. PC/JS miss here and there, but to expect perfection is a fool's errand. Their ability to shut out the noise (see draft grades, 'expert' analysis, combine measurables, and everything else used by people NOT winning rings) and focus on how a player will fit the system here is a skill that many of us simply cannot comprehend.

Richardson is going to be a monster in this offense. Again, I'm not educated on Britt but they love him so that's enough for me.

Nothing wrong with discussing and having an opinion, but I really don't get some of the comments here.

We got better today. Maybe a lot better.

Hawks46

Reaction score
kearly":4amr1t4o said:
Interesting guy. In the Georgia game he gets blown back so badly you'd think he was John Carlson, but on running plays he's returning the favor. Probably has good core power, but might have issues with balance.

I read on one of his draft ratings that the guy cleans over 400 lbs. That will get you some core power. Funny, from the small highlights I watched of him, he seemed to be decent at in line run blocking, whiffs in space, and has really good feet and balance. He's susceptible to the bull rush.

I don't care where he was rated compared to where he "should've" gone. I compare picks to guys who were still available. We passed on Kouandijo (I'll never get his freakin name right), and Moses was available when we drafted Britt. I've seen a few mocks that had us drafting Moses in the end of the 1st, so the value on Moses was already there.

So, Kearly, Snohomie...guys that really paid attention to all these prospects: is Britt a better player than Cyrus or Moses ?

That's all I care about. I think Cable can make this kid good. We got Breno off of the Packers' practice squad and he turned out just fine.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Hawks46":gi2lsoo4 said:
is Britt a better player than Cyrus or Moses ?

That's all I care about. I think Cable can make this kid good. We got Breno off of the Packers' practice squad and he turned out just fine.

I don't know that it's really about Britt being a "better player" than those two in a vacuum. I think they grade him highly as a RT and think he's a better fit on this team than those two, particularly at the RT position. Based on Cable's comments, I think Breno, despite some ups and downs, became a sort of prototype for what they want at RT. If Britt pans out, he is a guy who can carry the torch for Breno in terms of play and personality, and I think that's what they like about him. As other people have said today, the Seahawks scout players for themselves only, not for the NFL or Madden. Hopefully, it works out as they envision it.

Cable's presser is pretty illuminating on this topic, as is Pete and John's.