Pete

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Rat":1kz5okk5 said:
Mad Dog":1kz5okk5 said:
Rat":1kz5okk5 said:
Still a great coach, but damn, is there a worse challenger in the league? Thank God he didn't throw some other dumb flag in the first half or something or we wouldn't have been able to get the Tedric INT overturned.

He was 1-1 on challenges and so was McVay. I thought McVay's challenge on the OOB catch was dumber than Pete's challenge on the OPI.

Pete's challenge win rate isn't much different than the league average.

Everybody just sees things through Seahawks lenses without perspective.

Saying Pete is bad at challenges isn't the same as saying everyone else is great at it. Strange argument that McVay making a dumb challenge redeems Pete. The decisions stand on their own.

It sure seems like he throws the flag at some strange times. I hope he gets better at it, but I guess he shouldn't look to get better because other coaches have made poor decisions too.

Well if you are going to say that Pete is bad at challenges when he is the same as every other coach then you clearly have your bar set too high. Again I'm not saying that Pete is great at challenges. I'm just saying he's average compared to the rest of the worlds best football coaches. I find it ridiculous to assume that Joe Fan would be better than these guys in the same arena.

I will say that the decision to kick a FG at the end of the first half was nigh on indefensible. The best scenario was 3 points and enough time given to the Rams to do whatever they want with our mediocre D. Best scenario with going for it was a TD with no time on the clock. The worst scenario with the FG attempt is no points and Rams need 62 yds to score. Worse scenario with going for it was no points and Rams need 70 yds to score.

Given the chance of the FG make and the chance of the 4th and 1 conversion rate were within 5% of each other it's a no brainer to go for it.

Fade

Reaction score
Objective observers are noticing it too.

https://theathletic.com/1273577/201...sistent-early-season-hasnt-cost-seahawks-yet/

It's pretty sad when they play bad teams/QBs, my biggest fear is Pete.

What mystifying decision(s) is he going to make that allows the other team to hang around? Why does he get so cute on short yardage plays, I thought he wanted to be a tough running team? Can Russell Wilson bale him out this time?

Pete needs to step it up.

I am nervous as hell for the upcoming game against the Browns. I think Pete is thinking, he only needs Wilson to throw 15 times total to win this game. So he is going to refuse to play offense for the entire first half. In fear that RW might turn it over. LOL. You don't have Mark Sanchez at QB, Pete!

I could care less about Wilson accolades, I just want the Hawks to win the game. I want to see more AZ gameplans where they come out attacking, throwing, aggressive, looking to score points. Of course they "Pete Ball"d it up in the 3rd qtr and most of the second half, but I was fine with it at that point as they had built a 3 score lead.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Considering that the Browns are giving up 150 yards a game on the ground, I could see some serious ground and pound. Even it's not working :?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Fade":28d8bl9w said:
Pete needs to step it up.

I am nervous as hell for the upcoming game against the Browns. I think Pete is thinking, he only needs Wilson to throw 15 times total to win this game. So he is going to refuse to play offense for the entire first half. In fear that RW might turn it over. LOL. You don't have Mark Sanchez at QB, Pete!

I could care less about Wilson accolades, I just want the Hawks to win the game. I want to see more AZ gameplans where they come out attacking, throwing, aggressive, looking to score points. Of course they "Pete Ball"d it up in the 3rd qtr and most of the second half, but I was fine with it at that point as they had built a 3 score lead.

I honestly don't think Pete knows how to run the ball creatively like we saw the Niners and Shanahan do last night with all the motion before the snap pulling the defense in different directions.

So yes, I fully expect to see us struggle to run against the Brown's front seven.......especially if Pete and Schotty get conservative and not replicate their gameplan against the Cards by passing to open up the run.

It's going to be another grind em out game that's close in the 4th quarter. Hopefully Mayfield will do what he's done every game but one so far this year, turn the ball over.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2wkyjhci said:
Considering that the Browns are giving up 150 yards a game on the ground, I could see some serious ground and pound. Even it's not working :?

You think maybe more Penny for your thoughts? I would like to see more of him on this next game so he can get closer to seeing the creases.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If it's working, hell yes, pound the rock until they stop it. I just get tired of when they just ruin 2 or 3 straight drives because they have their arms folded "we are a running team, so there"
Gotta' switch it up once in a while. The Zona game was really called well by Schotty.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3h0mhzuq said:
If it's working, hell yes, pound the rock until they stop it. I just get tired of when they just ruin 2 or 3 straight drives because they have their arms folded "we are a running team, so there"
Gotta' switch it up once in a while. The Zona game was really called well by Schotty.

Outside of a couple plays, the Rams game was also well called by Schotty.

I don't think offensive play calling has been a big problem this year in general. I still see the big issue is our soft zone coverages to mitigate the big play. Allowing every team to hit freebie 7 yd passes over and over again is the most tiresome of Pete's philosophies.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, wide open guys all day long. They were playing so far back, the Rams were more than happy to take the short stuff all day long.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Mad Dog":2zbhwme5 said:
SoulfishHawk":2zbhwme5 said:

Outside of a couple plays, the Rams game was also well called by Schotty.

I don't think offensive play calling has been a big problem this year in general. I still see the big issue is our soft zone coverages to mitigate the big play. Allowing every team to hit freebie 7 yd passes over and over again is the most tiresome of Pete's philosophies.

I think early playcalling was an issue, but give Schotty, Pete and Russell credit it's improved as they're figuring out what works and what doesn't.

I honestly am not worried on the offensive side of the ball. Russell's playing like the QB in his prime that he is, and his supporting cast are also playing well.

It's the defense that's going to be the deciding factor on how far this team goes in 2019. The D-line needs to get more pressure, and the back end of the defense needs to play better..........either through growth or a player being added before the trade deadline.

Either way, IMO the defense is what's holding this team back from being a legitimate contender. Now, things can change.

McGruff

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1abwu4ph said:
No doubt, wide open guys all day long. They were playing so far back, the Rams were more than happy to take the short stuff all day long.

I dont know if you recall, but for the last 2 years those 7 yard short routes were 15 yard medium routes.

Pete dropped his zone back to cut off the medium range passing game of the Rams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And on that last drive they let them get 2 plays in and out of bounds, all in about 10 seconds. Ridiculous, get up on someone.
I understand they like to run that zone, but at some point you need to adjust.

McGruff

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1kgwyoko said:
And on that last drive they let them get 2 plays in and out of bounds, all in about 10 seconds. Ridiculous, get up on someone.

The of half defenses were atrocious. But especially the end of game.

You can give up short passes. But you cant let them have the sideline. Ever. The clock is your only hope in that situation, and you gave it away.

justafan

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3n63iord said:

Ya it was a frustrating drive but Kupp is going to be a pain in our ass for years to come. My least favorite Ram already.

3 of those plays got outta bounds in their territory. The Woods play was almost unstoppable. Just a great design. The second Taylor played deep when we blitzed a LB. On the 3rd play to Kupp we blitzed the slot corner Taylor and got caught.

I was actually liking Taylors play after that.He played Kupp tight and they had 2 incompletions at the sideline. Friggin TE was a dagger for us.