Pete needs to look himself in the mirror.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
If Pete can't get out of his "the offense never needs to adjust to what a defense is giving 'em" philosophy, the execution needs to be of Pete's employment contract by the Seattle Seahawks. I'm so tired of watching our offense try the same ineffectual crap all game long when a defense is taking us to task. It's laughably inept.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The team lost ugly and bad, que up the over reaction posts.

The whole darn team needs to have a good hard look at themselves after this failure to appear.

Last edited:

Optimus25

Reaction score
I'm starting to wonder if Waldron has a future beyind this year if this BS continues. I honestly see him as a 3nd in command to a more seasoned, strategy oriented OC. The guy who helps conceives the plays and strategy, but isn't responsible for the chess game that pkays out on Sundays. Kind of like he was with the Rams.

It really does feel like he's trying too hard to look like the next play design genius instead of just focusing on situational play calling.

He's like the magician who tries to hide the fact that his trick is really basic, by waving is hands around all over the place, popping smoke and yelling Abrakadabra over and over. There's too much flourish and not enough substance.

I also wonder if Pete is extending too much runway to the guy in an effort to clear his own name from those who labeled him a 'grind it out', ground and pound dinosaur of an offensive strategist. And, that he's maybe asking that the offense be based too much on play action. PA is good when you have a running game to play off of. Wr look like the idiot magician when the running game isn't working, and there isn't anything Geno or any other qb can do about it.
Here's my take to that:

You ever just see guys going out and looking a little lost and trying to get a playcall and 'overthinking' and running around a little disoriented and then they get a direction from the huddle or whatever and then run out and line up, and in those moments do you ever wonder what if they just stopped being so damn focused on trying to outsmart the other guy, or stop being so focused on executing things a certain way, and what if they just said 'hey man, i'm doing a 5 yd out'. or like defensively, like instead of so worried about alignments and everything under the sun, just play instincts football.

granted this would lose long term, i'm not even saying a small amount of time like this- but i am saying sometimes waldron thinks he's going to win in the playbook when really i think he could just look at the field when the chips are down and throw the book in the trash. The long pass to JSN for example, when everything else is getting destroyed, how much more basic than that could you get? It seems like we just completely abandoned basic, core routes like 3 yard slants or smash routes and just have to find the perfect zone/man beater with every snap, which resulted in a little bit deeper drops and just enough time for disruption.

i mean you're on an island and DK metcalf lines up across from you. nightmare scenario is a quick hitter route concept where you have to compete with him for the ball and he's boxing you out. ideal scenario? a deeper drop from the QB where you can compensate for his size advantage by timing an attack on the timing of the catch.

keasley45

Reaction score
Here's my take to that:

You ever just see guys going out and looking a little lost and trying to get a playcall and 'overthinking' and running around a little disoriented and then they get a direction from the huddle or whatever and then run out and line up, and in those moments do you ever wonder what if they just stopped being so damn focused on trying to outsmart the other guy, or stop being so focused on executing things a certain way, and what if they just said 'hey man, i'm doing a 5 yd out'. or like defensively, like instead of so worried about alignments and everything under the sun, just play instincts football.

granted this would lose long term, i'm not even saying a small amount of time like this- but i am saying sometimes waldron thinks he's going to win in the playbook when really i think he could just look at the field when the chips are down and throw the book in the trash. The long pass to JSN for example, when everything else is getting destroyed, how much more basic than that could you get? It seems like we just completely abandoned basic, core routes like 3 yard slants or smash routes and just have to find the perfect zone/man beater with every snap, which resulted in a little bit deeper drops and just enough time for disruption.

i mean you're on an island and DK metcalf lines up across from you. nightmare scenario is a quick hitter route concept where you have to compete with him for the ball and he's boxing you out. ideal scenario? a deeper drop from the QB where you can compensate for his size advantage by timing an attack on the timing of the catch.
Can't argue with you.

OP
OP
S

strohmin

Reaction score
Damn, we need a win on Sunday in the biggest way :cool:

They flat out have to win these next 2 against Washington and the Clams. Get it to 7-3 before the gauntlet of: Niners, Cowboys, Niners and Eagles. That's brutal. IF they can get ot 7-3, they def. have a legit shot of playoffs. But, gotta' stack up some wins.

Im getting tired of relying on beating up bad teams just to go at most one and done in the playoffs. Im not gonna feel good about this team untill they beat some team of value. Beating the Commanders and Rams will mean nothing in terms of how good this team is unless they absolutely demolish them.

keasley45

Reaction score
Here's my take to that:

As a matter of fact, with respect to the DK part, my friend who was at the game next to me and is a ravens fan was beside himself not understanding why he just didn't get the ball on a simple slant, exactly as you said. There were probably half a dozen times he said, and I quote, 'omg, Geno's gonna hit Dk on this one... on an island'. The plays we were running seemed so void of context it was hard to believe.

OP
OP
S

strohmin

Reaction score
As a matter of fact, with respect to the DK part, my friend who was at the game next to me and is a ravens fan was beside himself not understanding why he just didn't get the ball on a simple slant, exactly as you said. There were probably half a dozen times he said, and I quote, 'omg, Geno's gonna hit Dk on this one... on an island'. The plays we were running seemed so void of context it was hard to believe.

Pete threw the ball on the 1 yard line to Lockette with Russell when we had beast mode and 3 more downs to go. Hell we could have called a play to Doug Baldwin. This was before Waldron. This stupidity is a staple of Pete.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Im getting tired of relying on beating up bad teams just to go at most one and done in the playoffs. Im not gonna feel good about this team untill they beat some team of value. Beating the Commanders and Rams will mean nothing in terms of how good this team is unless they absolutely demolish them.
So now it has to look a certain way. Agree to massively disagree.
Screw that, just win games. They beat Cleveland and Detroit, those are both damn good teams.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
So, basically Geno either forces it way too much to DK (see Cleveland) or completely ignores him (see Baltimore)

OP
OP
S

strohmin

Reaction score
Screw that, just win games. They beat Cleveland and Detroit, those are both damn good teams.

Cleveland and Detroit are not damn good teams. They are decent teams but they arent going far in the playoffs.

keasley45

Reaction score
Pete threw the ball on the 1 yard line to Lockette with Russell when we had beast mode and 3 more downs to go. Hell we could have called a play to Doug Baldwin. This was before Waldron. This stupidity is a staple of Pete.

This is the only comment I'll make on it because this thread isn't about the SB.

Pete doesn't call plays.

keasley45

Reaction score
So, basically Geno either forces it way too much to DK (see Cleveland) or completely ignores him (see Baltimore)

The plays are designed to go to players. Why they go where they go, neither you or I know. But in either case, the fault has to rest in some cases at Waldrons feet for calling dumb shi+, or when Geno is forcing the ball, Geno.

But honestly, the boiling the problems we have down to one person is just lazy.

I've said it before the great thing about our problems is that we are creating them, hence we control their correction.

The bad thing is the problems reside with us. The more I see of this team play, the more it becomes obvious that it's more the plays than anything else...

Well, that, and now this notion of platooning the O lineman.

But Geno isn't responsible for us only running at a clip that ranks at the bottom of the league. He also isn't responsible for the overly complicated presnap motions and misdirection. I mean, presnap motion is fine, but the way it's drawn up is ... questionable. Especially when we are doing it the majority of the time and forgoing logical, situational aware play calls.

There are the plays, which are bad off the bat, and then there's the execution, of which the qb, line, rbs, receivers are all Complicit in.

OP
OP
S

strohmin

Reaction score
This is the only comment I'll make on it because this thread isn't about the SB.

Pete doesn't call plays.

He may not call the plays directly but he has to have alot of influence over them. My point being that it wasnt just one OC under Pete that we kept thinking why are they calling those head scratching plays. Pete deserves blame for the play calling as well.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
If that were truly the case, I feel like we would have seen a lot more of the run game so far. When Shotty first got here, Pete had to get involved because he was going to pass heavy and wasn't giving results. Waldron, on the other hand, has a tendency to abandon the run early, which is.pretty much anti-Pete.

If anything, Pete has been giving Waldron more freedom, or it sure seems like it. I highly doubt Pete told Waldron to abandon the heavy TE sets and go 3 wr while giving JSN so many snaps. Brenden Nelson broke down the snap counts and it tells the story. Waldron prefers 3 wr sets and JSN saw 40 out of 50 snaps, while Fant saw 26, Parkinson 22, Disley 11. Look at the snap counts on the days with good offense and the TE's are much more involved. It creates mismatches which helps the run and the pass.

We are very fortunate to have 3 capable tight ends who can block and catch. Why they hell are they featuring an undersized rookie in a game we need the extra beef? The complete lack of awareness of which personell sets to run is baffling, especially considering the success they've had with multiple tight end looks. Sure I like JSN, and he has a bright future, but this was not the game to have him robbing the snap counts of our tight ends. This was the game to go all out with the TE's and sprinkle in some 2 or 3 wr sets.

Its not about being pass or run heavy. Its about coordinators not being able to freely do what they want. I believe they all have restrictions under Pete. Sure, Pete tells them to go ahead and call the game, but its in a vacuum. Going back to Shotty, maybe he saw that passing the ball more was going to be more effective down the road once things unfolded. I realize Russ had a few bad games and turned the ball over, but instead of retarding the offense, let the guy work through it. I feel Pete pulls the reigns way to quick.

Honestly, nobody here really knows for sure, but when the same issues occur year after year regardless of the changes, you cant help but to speculate.

PateratoWilson

Reaction score
Its not about being pass or run heavy. Its about coordinators not being able to freely do what they want. I believe they all have restrictions under Pete. Sure, Pete tells them to go ahead and call the game, but its in a vacuum. Going back to Shotty, maybe he saw that passing the ball more was going to be more effective down the road once things unfolded. I realize Russ had a few bad games and turned the ball over, but instead of retarding the offense, let the guy work through it. I feel Pete pulls the reigns way to quick.

Honestly, nobody here really knows for sure, but when the same issues occur year after year regardless of the changes, you cant help but to speculate.
Yes.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
I’m no Geno hater. Who the hell would hate their fave teams’ starting QB.

I want him to succeed and kick ass. I wait for football all week. Every month. Every year.

But if I screw up at work I’m not coddled. I have to fix it. If I can’t, someone else will and should.
What good is going to come from calling him out to the media right after the game?

keasley45

Reaction score
He may not call the plays directly but he has to have alot of influence over them. My point being that it wasnt just one OC under Pete that we kept thinking why are they calling those head scratching plays. Pete deserves blame for the play calling as well.

Outside of the SB, I don't recall watching games and wondering why certain things were called, because the plays that were called were rarely run.