Pete needs to look himself in the mirror.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I watched the pressor and Pete Carroll said "Geno isn't the problem". I know a lot of the .net community will disagree.
I really don't know what to think . Geno
Smith to my untrained eye seems to be at least SOME of the problem. He hangs on to the ball , wears his heart on his sleeve so the other team will obviously see it , and like others it's hard to see him putting the team on his back and lead them down the field.
He also said though that he’s worried about all the turnovers. I think he was protecting Geno a little bit while also acknowledging it’s not just Geno. The line needs to play better, need to get the running game going etc. you don’t average 2+ turnovers a game and that could be closer to 3 a game but some calls bailed him out, and not be a part of the problem

morgulon1

Reaction score
He also said though that he’s worried about all the turnovers. I think he was protecting Geno a little bit while also acknowledging it’s not just Geno. The line needs to play better, need to get the running game going etc. you don’t average 2+ turnovers a game and that could be closer to 3 a game but some calls bailed him out, and not be a part of the problem
Yep , that's always been a Pete Carroll maneuver. He won't hang anyone out to dry , especially the quarterback.

morgulon1

Reaction score
This loss isn’t all on Geno for sure. OL sucked, defense fell apart early, Waldron called a really poor game, etc. But QB’s generally take the fall and my main concern is Geno hasn’t taken the next step to say “give me the ball we’re gonna go execute and play our game” when things don’t work. He seems to actively compound the struggles rather than break the team out. There have been multiple instances this year where he just flat out can’t get anything done - luckily the D has kept them in those games except for Rams week 1. All the bad Geno traits start coming out; poor footwork, poor accuracy, bad pocket awareness, forcing bad decisions. If they caught those 3 dropped interceptions, it’s probably a 50 point game for the ravens.

Those issues, him being captain and as you said seeing his poor emotions/demeanor on the sideline, and a payday to be the guy are all reasons I think most fans are frustrated with him and looking for a better answer. Team will be competitive, probably make the playoffs, but another early exit ass kicking feels like the outcome unfortunately.
Excellent post man.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I think Geno is a good QB. He just isn't great, and unfortunately not a game changer to take a team to the next level on his own like a Mahomes or Burrow, etc. Sad but true.

Fade

Reaction score
You are the only one I know of that enjoys a Seahawk loss. Actually that's not true Rams and Niner fans.
Quite the opposite...

Only 9er and Rams fans would want Geno to continue to start. That turnover machine gives them the best chance to win.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Yep , that's always been a Pete Carroll maneuver. He won't hang anyone out to dry , especially the quarterback.
Carroll is also the same guy that was hyping up TJACK as being the future. He then went after Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson is the subsequent offseason.

Carroll keeps his cards close to his chest, Sherman said as much. He won't call anyone out in public.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I am NOT saying Fire Pete blah blah blah. But...........he needs to nut up and sit Geno when the team is getting blasted like yesterday. His stubborn nature has held this team back several times. They get outcoached, outclassed and he RARELY seems to adjust in game.
It gets really old.

Wheetie

Reaction score
I'll start by saying that I am NOT saying Fire Pete blah blah blah. But...........he needs to nut up and sit Geno when the team is getting blasted like yesterday. His stubborn nature has held this team back several times. They get outcoached, outclassed and he RARELY seems to adjust in game.
It gets really old.
Exactly Soulfish! I am of the belief that Pete has his hand in the offense way too much. There's just no way that Waldron can be this uncreative and incompetent. The pound the rock into the line ad nauseum and zero playcalling creativity just reeks of Pete Carroll and his unwillingness to deviate from his philosophy. I remember watching the Dallas playoff game in Dallas a few years back and it was the same crap, and it drove me crazy. It was a different OC back then but the exact same results. Pete just can't get out of his own way and allow for his schemes to evolve. It's his way or nothing. I'd assume he feels his legacy is tied to playing his style of football and nothing will change that. They have the players, and Waldron should know current scheme being from Mcvay's tree, so there's zero excuse for what we witnessed yesterday. Not saying they should have won, but the game should have at least been respectable.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
And then there's the prevailing attitude that we are constantly 'one player away', which has been and continues to be completely false. Even considering the QB position, anything short of a true generational talent likely results in the same kind of ass-kicking we saw yesterday. It's not a one-player thing; at this point it's a culture thing imo.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Carroll is also the same guy that was hyping up TJACK as being the future. He then went after Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson is the subsequent offseason.

Carroll keeps his cards close to his chest, Sherman said as much. He won't call anyone out in public.
I heard KJ Wright say on his podcast something to the effect of " don't let his
nice older man with glasses sitting down with his legs crossed fool you , he can be a cold, hard down to business man when he's behind closed doors "

I feel like this was the essence of his statement but I hope I got his thought across . Pete Carroll doesn't have the success he's had over the last 20+ years without having that attribute. It's too tough of a business, too much pressure.

Has anyone on here noticed when Seattle is winning, Pete Carroll is all lovey dovey , hugging , doing his pimp walk ? When they lose , in what ever capacity he has this weird blank creepy stare . Carroll says the right things for the fans and media but I really wonder what goes down. Check it out , see for yourselves.

keasley45

Reaction score

Yeah. That INT was Geno. at first it looked like Tyler slowed on his route, and he wasn't running full tilt. But he wasn't because I think he saw the safety over the top and didn't think Geno would go to him, overthrow aside.

When we played Detroit, we had a great plan to beat their defense. Sunday? We seemed to try to get the TE's going with passes to Park and Diss, but nothing ever materialized. We didnt scheme against their pressure well at all. I'm not sure how often we were rotating Olinemen, but if we are still doing that, we need to stop. it kills contnuity and we looked cmpletely confused up front.

The blocking was horrid and it just killed the morale of the offense

The worst thing is that you could see it on the sideline that the team gave up after that long run to start the third. The defense folded and the strategy on offense was piss poor.

The D was solid through the 1st qtr and put them in position to pull within 4 to close the half. The O crapped the bed.

This was one of those games where it was death by small paper cuts. Small failures in critical situations started the downward slide and then the Ravens finished them.

The first possession - 3rd down drop to end the drive. Easy pass and catch bobbled by JSN

2nd possession - we were moving the ball and in ravens territory. Geno evades a sack and picks up 5. We get another 1 on a poorly blocked run, and then Tyler and Geno fail to connect on 3rd.

3rd possession - driving again and then Peters false starts in Raven territory. Classic drive killing error. At that point, we'd moved the ball 18 yards from our 33 to their 49, pretty easily. Then the false start, a sack on a blitz and ineffective plays and the drive nets 6 yards and we punt.

4th drive . Up to that point, we were ok. After that... Geno, on 3rd and 4, tosses up the int. That, after KW3 picked up 6 on first. That was a killer.

5th drive - 1 yard and a punt after getting the TO. Just absolutely poor execution. Wasted opportunity

6th drive - we get the big play to DK and then settle for a FG.

A drive or two later, we fumble the ball away on a strip sack and the Ravens begin to feast.

Ive been saying it for weeks. This offense now relies entirely on the ability of our OC. Geno can run the damn thing if it works. he cant pull a Russ and create on his own often enough to make a difference.

Our failures on offense are galring and start with

1. Pass pro / run blocking - i think we are getting too cute with pulling TEs and exotic sets. We are using a ton of BS disguises to run basic plays that arent fooling anyone. The Ravens knew what was coming pretty much every down. We need to just line up and fire off the ball.

2. We are playing far too much spread O. If you dont have quick routes and the D brings an extra guy with no support in the backfield, we are toast.

3. We give up on the run far too often. Id honestly rather lose by getting stone walled than have our guys just get pummelled drive in and drive out on slow developing, deep PA drops when the PA isnt fooling anyone because of 3 above.

On defense -

1. I feel like we played way too much man and got burned when either Jackson kept the ball or they just bounced one outside while our DBs had their backs turned. I get that we are trying to maybe go back to the LOB press CB play that made us great, but if you dont have eyes in the backfield consistently against a dude like Lamar and a running game like the Ravens have, you are asking to get destroyed.

2. Bobby is to the point of being a liability on passing downs. He's just not fast enough to cover the middle and often errs on the side of defending the run, where he's biting on PA.

3. Edge containment is still an issue. Again, not sure who was in and how often, but Baltimore made a playground of our edge in the run game.

Last edited:

cymatica

Reaction score
Seeing other teams adjust in game, over and over again is just maddening.
Waldron is the Geno Smith of play calling. He'll give you some good games and get your hopes up then do a 180 and make you question your judgement

keasley45

Reaction score
This loss isn’t all on Geno for sure. OL sucked, defense fell apart early, Waldron called a really poor game, etc. But QB’s generally take the fall and my main concern is Geno hasn’t taken the next step to say “give me the ball we’re gonna go execute and play our game” when things don’t work. He seems to actively compound the struggles rather than break the team out. There have been multiple instances this year where he just flat out can’t get anything done - luckily the D has kept them in those games except for Rams week 1. All the bad Geno traits start coming out; poor footwork, poor accuracy, bad pocket awareness, forcing bad decisions. If they caught those 3 dropped interceptions, it’s probably a 50 point game for the ravens.

Those issues, him being captain and as you said seeing his poor emotions/demeanor on the sideline, and a payday to be the guy are all reasons I think most fans are frustrated with him and looking for a better answer. Team will be competitive, probably make the playoffs, but another early exit ass kicking feels like the outcome unfortunately.
Cant argue with that. The only thing i will say (and i feel like Pete in his post game pressers doing it) is that this game of football does often swing drastically on the smallest of mistakes, rhythm misuces and miscommunication. being at the game and feeling the swing of momentum and seeing the impct and body language of the guys, not 150 ft from me, i can tell you that through most of the 1st half, we were competitive. But the dropped JSN conversion, the untimely false starts, the poor blocking adjustments... we were 'in it' up until we failed to convert the TO, went three and out, and then rather than getting the TD and had to settle for 3 in the 2nd qtr. After giving Baltimore another score, the entire team fell flat.

And i dont know what Geno can do to offset some of the poor playcalls and route designs coming in. Philosophically, we have zero identity. We dont run enough, and we can block long enough for our passing game to get uncorked. Meanwhile, we keep going to the well on long developing PA plays and bubble screens. TE use whicj was a staple last year for a stretch and highly successful against Detroit - non existent. Geno, in addition to making untimely errors, is also just not the guy to scramble around and create on his own. If the playcall is garbage, He MIGHT make something of it, but usually its just a lost play or worse, he tries to push the ball to a rook or presses in general and turns it over. If Shane cant call a better game, we arent going anywhere. Geno will execute the plays given, for better or worse.

I hinestly think he's as dejected as anyone and feels more than anyone the ineffectiveness of the strategy. I see it in his body language, in DK's and surprisingly now, in Tyler's.

this is the first time ive been able to observe the morale and mood of the guys on the sideline, on the field, between commercial breaks... and it wasnt good even in the first half when we had a chance. They looked like they were going through the motions... disconnected. It wasnt good.

And it got much worse in the 2nd half. I dont know that ive ever seen a PC team give up like that.

keasley45

Reaction score
Seen ol' Petey Pete's post game press conference from today? I've watched many over the years and I have to say the man looked rattled. Sorry if someone else has posted this , please feel free to merge or delete.

Tyler's was worse

Ozzy

Reaction score
Yeah. That INT was Geno. at first it looked like Tyler slowed on his route, and he wasn't running full tilt. But he wasn't because I think he saw the safety over the top and didn't think Geno would go to him, overthrow aside.

When we played Detroit, we had a great plan to beat their defense. Sunday? We seemed to try to get the TE's going with passes to Park and Diss, but nothing ever materialized. We didnt scheme against their pressure well at all. I'm not sure how often we were rotating Olinemen, but if we are still doing that, we need to stop. it kills contnuity and we looked cmpletely confused up front.

The blocking was horrid and it just killed the morale of the offense

The worst thing is that you could see it on the sideline that the team gave up after that long run to start the third. The defense folded and the strategy on offense was piss poor.

The D was solid through the 1st qtr and put them in position to pull within 4 to close the half. The O crapped the bed.

This was one of those games where it was death by small paper cuts. Small failures in critical situations started the downward slide and then the Ravens finished them.

The first possession - 3rd down drop to end the drive. Easy pass and catch bobbled by JSN

2nd possession - we were moving the ball and in ravens territory. Geno evades a sack and picks up 5. We get another 1 on a poorly blocked run, and then Tyler and Geno fail to connect on 3rd.

3rd possession - driving again and then Peters false starts in Raven territory. Classic drive killing error. At that point, we'd moved the ball 18 yards from our 33 to their 49, pretty easily. Then the false start, a sack on a blitz and ineffective plays and the drive nets 6 yards and we punt.

4th drive . Up to that point, we were ok. After that... Geno, on 3rd and 4, tosses up the int. That, after KW3 picked up 6 on first. That was a killer.

5th drive - 1 yard and a punt after getting the TO. Just absolutely poor execution. Wasted opportunity

6th drive - we get the big play to DK and then settle for a FG.

A drive or two later, we fumble the ball away on a strip sack and the Ravens begin to feast.

Ive been saying it for weeks. This offense now relies entirely on the ability of our O. Geno can run the damn thing if it works. he cant pull a Russ and create on his own often enough to make a difference.

Our failures on offense are galring and start with

1. Pass pro / run blocking - i think we are getting too cute with pulling TEs and exotic sets. We are using a ton of BS disguises to run basic plays that arent fooling anyone. The Ravens knew what was coming pretty much every down. We need to just line up and fire off the ball.

2. We are playing far too much spread O. If you dont have quick routes and the D brings an extra guy with no support in the backfield, we are toast.

3. We give up on the run far too often. Id honestly rather lose by getting stone walled than have our guys just get pummelled drive in and drive out on slow developing, deep PA drops when the PA isnt fooling anyone because of 3 above.

On defense -

1. I feel like we played way too much man and got burned when either Jackson kept the ball or they just bounced one outside while our DBs had their backs turned. I get that we are trying to maybe go back to the LOB press CB play that made us great, but if you dont have eyes in the backfield consistently against a dude like Lamar and a running game like the Ravens have, you are asking to get destroyed.

2. Bobby is to the point of being a liability on passing downs. He's just not fast enough to cover the middle and often errs on the side of defending the run, where he's biting on PA.

3. Edge containment is still an issue. Again, not sure who was in and how often, but Baltimore made a playground of our edge in the run game.
Good post!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seeing other teams adjust in game, over and over again is just maddening.

This.

For all the creativity Waldron brings from his Ram's scheming and playcalling, he's yet to take the next step with adjustments. Game to game, and in-game.

While adjustments are difficult for young playcallers, this is year #3 and things should be getting better. Especially with one of the deepest and best skill position groups in the entire league.

So if handing out blame percentages for the offense struggling this year? For me, Waldron gets the largest percentage. O-line 2nd, and Geno 3rd.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Except for Krieg could be damn good when he was on, and won a lot of games. Dude passed for 38 thousand yards and had 261 touchdown passes.
Bad comparison, Geno has never been at the Dave Krieg level.