Pete Carroll, does not coach by his motto Always Compete.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Watching the Eagle game today. Pete leaves opportunities unused. He could have stopped the clock before half, sent every player after the punter and could not have lost a thing. Yet he heads for the locker room and the cooking channel or something. It is a thing with him, he doesn't squeeze every second like it is precious on the field. He also does not run the ball enough. They should be burying Philly, but instead look to be fancy and pass too much. They were physically dominant yet chose to pass the ball. He is a great coach and motivator until Sunday. On game day, he is not top 10 in the league.

getnasty

Reaction score
Didn't have any timeouts to stop the clock, he used his last one to make them run one more play which is what your exactly asking for.

Rat

Reaction score
Don't agree with all of that, but I often struggle to live by even my own mottos.

People always way overstate the "always compete" thing anyway. Nothing is that black-and-white.

OP
OP
J

jeremiah

Reaction score
I recently switched to HULU, and hate it at least compared to Comcast. I don't know or didn't know if they were out of timeouts. The statement still holds though. The Missus just said it perfectly, Pete has the drive to do the job. He just doesn't seem hungry.

The mark of a successful team or a great player is, they will kick, bite, claw and scratch for an inch. In the case of a coach, one more play. One more CHANCE to score or close the door.

2 straight fumbles by Carson...he is right back in the game. Is it more important to send him love, or kick some ass?

rcaido

Reaction score
jeremiah":32bdqx56 said:
I recently switched to HULU, and hate it at least compared to Comcast. I don't know or didn't know if they were out of timeouts. The statement still holds though. The Missus just said it perfectly, Pete has the drive to do the job. He just doesn't seem hungry.

The mark of a successful team or a great player is, they will kick, bite, claw and scratch for an inch. In the case of a coach, one more play. One more CHANCE to score or close the door.

2 straight fumbles by Carson...he is right back in the game. Is it more important to send him love, or kick some ass?

Give confidence back to your lead RB is always good in the long run. Penny look great today, he should get more touches next week.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
Always compete doesn't mean always be aggressive.

Remember "It's all about the ball" is a big part of the program so limiting chances to give the ball away is going to be on Pete's mind.

I thought Pete was excellent today as a coach. I thought our problems were all related to bad undisciplined penalties negating big plays and ending drives. And a few crucial overthrows and drops. Otherwise we totally blow the Eagles away. But Pete called a good game.

quadsas

Reaction score
jeremiah":1kb0duda said:
Watching the Eagle game today. Pete leaves opportunities unused. He could have stopped the clock before half, sent every player after the punter and could not have lost a thing. Yet he heads for the locker room and the cooking channel or something. It is a thing with him, he doesn't squeeze every second like it is precious on the field. He also does not run the ball enough. They should be burying Philly, but instead look to be fancy and pass too much. They were physically dominant yet chose to pass the ball. He is a great coach and motivator until Sunday. On game day, he is not top 10 in the league.

Your post is useless because Seahawks had no timeout after stopping Eagles on 3rd down

sc85sis

Reaction score
This might be the first time anyone has accused Pete of not running the ball enough.

OP
OP
J

jeremiah

Reaction score

quadsas

Reaction score
jeremiah":1574nqml said:

If Carson competed for 2 seasons and earned his spot as a starting back why should he instantly lose it?

Rat

Reaction score
sc85sis":2p0ror2u said:
This might be the first time anyone has accused Pete of not running the ball enough.

In situations not involving Marshawn Lynch anyway.

getnasty

Reaction score
The fact that Carson a 7th round pick is starting over Penny a first round pick kinda deflates the arguement too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
jeremiah":2a7sq187 said:
You do realize the offense was pretty much behind the sticks all day today right? Kind of puts the run game on the back burner when you start 1st and 15 or 20. Between our own stupidity/screw ups and the refs we were in that situation far too often. Anyone who thinks Pete doesn't prefer to run the football at least as much as throwing it hasn't watched the Seahawks play the last 10 years.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
rcaido":2ka4400o said:
jeremiah":2ka4400o said:

Give confidence back to your lead RB is always good in the long run. Penny look great today, he should get more touches next week.

Confidence, yes, if it was purely physical but that second fumble was a mental error likely caused by thinking about the previous fumble (on which he was barely touched). Sitting him might help pull his head out of his ass.

Knuck Chox

Reaction score
Seanhawk":tfi5le2p said:
rcaido":tfi5le2p said:
jeremiah":tfi5le2p said:

Confidence, yes, if it was purely physical but that second fumble was a mental error likely caused by thinking about the previous fumble (on which he was barely touched). Sitting him might help pull his head out of his ass.

I agree the bolded portion is likely, but to me the rest is speculation. I'll trust the coaching staff, who work with Carson every day and know how he learns and deals with adversity, to determine whether sitting him would be effective or not.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Knuck Chox":qv91fgar said:
Seanhawk":qv91fgar said:
rcaido":qv91fgar said:
jeremiah":qv91fgar said:

I agree the bolded portion is likely, but to me the rest is speculation. I'll trust the coaching staff, who work with Carson every day and know how he learns and deals with adversity, to determine whether sitting him would be effective or not.

No, it was all speculation, hence the words "likely" and "might". Just my opinion.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
jeremiah":31h6ncom said:

Don't agree with the above and to me the team's W/L record proves you are wrong. In the NFL your record proves who you are. The Hawks are 9-2, 6-0 on the road, 3-0 in Divisional games with just 1 left on the road, and they have only lost 1 conference game. That record is second or third best in the conference, and tied for 2nd best in the NFL. The Digits are the only team with a better record and we have beaten them already this season.

However, as others have noted, PC waits to have his teams peak, in this he essentially rope-a-dopes the conference and opponents. Winning pretty is irrelevant to the end of just ultimately winning and building your team's momentum and confidence. All in all he has a plan to be there at the end of the season and has set up his planning and he thinks the long game rather then instant results. I suspect like the last game against the Digits we'll see him be more ruthless and willing to seize upon opportunities as the season ends.

Frankly always compete is a mindset that cn be realized in all sorts of different ways, and what seem to be a weakness in on area may be part of a longer plan. Besides who says they weren't competing at the time and hadn't decided upon doing exactly what they dd for reasons we don't know.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Much agreement, Jammerhawk, Carroll plays the long game, emphasizes player development, and if that costs a win or two in the first half of the season in order to peak in November and December, clearly Carroll is OK with that. Now that JS has gone out and gotten the unbelievable additions of Clowney, Diggs, and Gordon, and we have jettisoned some defensive dead weight like Tedric Thompson and Lamar Taylor, guys are balling out on the D. This has not looked like a Pete Carroll defense until the last two games. Finally! Then we get Jacob Hollister coming off the practice squad to contribute big, and Penny starting to look like a legit NFL running back, and Gordon staying active and contributing, and guys just learning to really play well together, now that is the genius of Pete Carroll and his approach. Schottenheimer has stepped it up too, called a great game vs SF, and a good game vs Philly, but credit Philly D and the weather for making Schotty's calls seem just OK this game. Russell and DK left 11+ EZ points on the field.

Always compete? Rashaad Penny is only now starting to realize what that means. Guys like UDFA Poona Ford are living proof. Guys like Lamar Taylor and Tedric Thompson are living proof. A guy like Malik Turner is living proof. Not to mention David Moore. Turner came in and won the battle for more reps and won Russell's trust. Plenty, plenty more examples.

Just when I was thinking it was nearly time for a weekly "Fire Norton!" thread, the D starts to step it up. So Ken Norton Jr. is off the hotseat, for now, before it really even heated up much. Yes, we all agree CaBevell got too long a leash from Pete in the past.

I'd say John Schneider is doing a damn good job of exemplifying the Always Compete mantra this season.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Always Compete does not mean Always Be Reckless.

Some people are never going to be happy, and even with with a 9-2 record, they still need something to moan about.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
"Always compete" is a sports cliche, not a real thing.

It's like "Next man up."

These types of old hoary sports cliches get thrown around in every sport and at every level.

If anybody actually coached according to these sports cliches they'd be idiots.

"Next man up" means that if Duane Brown goes out you shouldn't help out with chip blocking on the left side or be more prudent calling plays with seven step drops. Who in their right mind wouldn't do that?

"Always compete" means you shouldn't be running more with leads in the 4th quarter. Who in their right mind wouldn't do that?

If Pete Carroll actually coached according to his bumper sticker slogans it would be a disaster and Hawks fans would be furious.

Latest posts