Pay Wilson Or Not..

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2u2vni5v said:
I almost feel like Russ deserves a front office that will invest in the offense. With multiple pro-bowl o-linemen and a top tier receiver. If we’re not gonna pay him, and if the fan base doesn’t think he’s worth it then send him to the Giants. Or the Vikings. Or the Saints once Brees retires. Or the Steelers

We spent twice as much money on the offense vs defense this year.

Yes we're going to pay guys like Reed, Clark and probably give Bobby a 3rd contract, but that's about it. I think Pete's learned that a great defense has to be young and hungry, and not old, worn out and grumpy.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bsgce22j said:
old, worn out and grumpy.

Title of your sex tape...

Also true. And im hoping he says that for key positions on both sides of the ball

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Scorpion05":1pgdzqc9 said:
I almost feel like Russ deserves a front office that will invest in the offense. With multiple pro-bowl o-linemen and a top tier receiver.

We had that.

Plus a top-tier RB.

Duane Brown and Justin Britt are amongst the league's best at their position; the fact that they didn't technically make the Pro Bowl this year would be splitting hairs. They're superior players. Plus Brown was named All-Pro. Sweezy and Fluker - possibly out the door this year, but when they were injured, nobody was doing anything except counting down the days until they returned.

Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin keep defensive receivers up at night. We could use more depth, but nobody's arguing their quality. Lockett topped the league in some statistical categories.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Bottom line, you get what you pay for. I have a hard time trying to keep up with who gets paid what & the cap space crap. Many on this forum seem to be of the opinion that the Seahawks need to pass 40+ times a game in order to be a successful team. How did that work out in the 1-st two games this season? + Didn't they vastly exceed most peoples expectations this year, leading the league in rushing? I kind of like PC's idea of being different than the pass happy teams, playing power ball rather than the much finessed passing game.

It seems to me that you have to pay the going market rate on new contract extensions, a top 5 QB deserves top 5 money. Additionally, I think y'all need to consider the difference in pay between RW's new contract & what you have to pay a lesser, more average, replacement QB. I'd bet that that difference in dollars is mostly made up for by the annual increases in cap space, that IIRC is in the area of 9-10 million dollars. Any QB that replaces RW will either be a untested rookie (no thanks unless it's Kyler Murray) or a semi-competent starter from another team that will likely cost +/- 20-million or so to sign. Either way, be prepared for multiple losing seasons w/o RW at QB.

:smilingalien:

lukerguy

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a Mahomes-like talent.. the difference is the scheme. If they could create better plays and ask him to run a bit more, it would be lights-out.

Russ has his limitations but no QB is perfect. Russ has more upside than 95% of the QBs in the league.

Pay him, and get better at scheming for him- that's my vote. Also, QBs with his talent and increasing acumen are rare, don't be dumb people.

Seymour

Reaction score
Zman...
Wilson accepted just under Rodgers $$ the first time, and I see no real reason he doesn't hit near Rodgers $32M this time either. $40 million? Come on man. No need to exaggerate to that degree to make your point. Now i wonder if the other numbers are accurate??

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Rat":2aqu8a34 said:
Scorpion05":2aqu8a34 said:
I almost feel like Russ deserves a front office that will invest in the offense. With multiple pro-bowl o-linemen and a top tier receiver. If we’re not gonna pay him, and if the fan base doesn’t think he’s worth it then send him to the Giants. Or the Vikings. Or the Saints once Brees retires. Or the Steelers

How much can we invest in those kind of things while also making Russ the highest-paid player in league history?

Not much of an argument to support this point when teams find a way to pay Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and that O-line. Same goes for the Rams, who may not be paying their QB but is paying everyone else. Same goes for the Vikings, who manage to pay that defense, Kirk Cousins, and their weapons. Same goes for the Steelers, who can pay Big Ben, AB, etc.

Plus the cap is going up, so this is a limited argument to say we can’t. Pete would just rather invest his money on defense

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
When he signed his deal, people freaked out. It's a bargain now. Exactly how it works. He continues to ball out, and will get what tip QB's get, top dollar. The cap is going way up this year and next year.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I think there’s a misunderstanding to what I posted, just to address MontanaHawk, Largent, and others

Yes he had that, when Wilson was a very young QB and still developing, while relying on his athleticism and quickness to make up for his youth

Wilson is a far superior QB to what he was from 2012-2014. Yes Baldwin and Lockett are really good, but I can easily think of 5 receivers I’d take over them. Same for Britt and Brown. Good, but out of all of our offensive talent, how many of them would be wanted by offensive minded head coaches? Saying we spent twice as much on offense this year is disingenuous. The Saints, Falcons, etc. invest far more money in arguably better offensive personnel

That’s my point. I really like what we have. But it’s also true that we’ve asked Wilson to work with developing talent. We asked Wilson to work with undrafted, still developing Baldwin. And still developing Kearse. And still developing Lockett. And David Moore, and developing Paul Richardson, and undeveloped Tanner McEvoy. And developing O-linemen, and converted O-linemen. We’ve asked Wilson to simply figure it out, no matter his circumstances.

My point is, and I genuinely mean this. If we’re going to complain about paying Wilson, send him to a team with established pieces. With an offensive minded head coach who will center the team around him. And invest in talent. The same way Sean Mcvay did, the same way Andy Reid does. I don’t think this is a reach of an argument, other teams would invest FAR MORE on offense if they had Wilson

John63

Reaction score
Rat":9npoye7z said:
Scorpion05":9npoye7z said:

How much can we invest in those kind of things while also making Russ the highest-paid player in league history?

HMm, Indy did it.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
And to add to that

Let’s in turn continue to build a Pete Carroll style team. Invest money on defense, go after free agents. Build that elite defense and sign a Case Keemun, Teddy Bridgewater type at QB. We can win at least 9-10 games that way, or be competitive and make a run.

Do I think Russ is worth the money? Of course I do, I think it’s insane to suggest otherwise. But the whole pay Wilson or not thing is a little exhausting at this point, and his career is being somewhat limited by Carroll’s philosophy(in my opinion). I’m not angry at anyone who doesn’t want to pay Wilson, my stance is simply that if we’re not gonna pay him what he’s worth we should move on. Both sides will be happy. You can even trade Wilson for first rounders to help put together another elite defense. To me it’s pay him(and invest more in him) or trade him. There’s no in between.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3lp1jfze said:
And to add to that

Let’s in turn continue to build a Pete Carroll style team. Invest money on defense, go after free agents. Build that elite defense and sign a Case Keemun, Teddy Bridgewater type at QB. We can win at least 9-10 games that way, or be competitive and make a run.

Do I think Russ is worth the money? Of course I do, I think it’s insane to suggest otherwise. But the whole pay Wilson or not thing is a little exhausting at this point, and his career is being somewhat limited by Carroll’s philosophy(in my opinion). I’m not angry at anyone who doesn’t want to pay Wilson, my stance is simply that if we’re not gonna pay him what he’s worth we should move on. Both sides will be happy. You can even trade Wilson for first rounders to help put together another elite defense. To me it’s pay him(and invest more in him) or trade him. There’s no in between.
Very well put, this is actually my thoughts on the matter as well. Paying him what he is worth also involves building a stable offense around him as well.

John63

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":j6i99g1j said:
The going rate for an average NFL starter is 4 million for every 100 plays and for an elite QB it's about 8 million for every 100 plays they make (IE, not handing off the ball)

Which means counting Wilson as elite, he's worth 24 million a season.... yet he's going to want 40.

So you either find him an OC to give him 500 plays to make big plays like Brees or Mahomes, or he needs to take a paycut...

But we'll get neither. We'll pay him 40 million a season, have him make 300 plays and hand the ball off over 50% of the time just like he did in his few few seasons.

And never sniff a Superbowl ever again because we no longer have one of the greatest NFL running backs of all time and 4 to 5 Hall of Famers on defense.

That's one way or we could use tds, remember avg qb is 20tds, elite is 25+, Wilson had 35. Avg qb avg production of 20 tds so where are the other 15 coming from? Last I saw yards or attempts don't win games, scoring does hence TDs, Under your premise, we would pay in 40MIl ( more like 37) for 30+ tds. Also so lets see Wilson had 427 passes plus 67 rushes for a total of 494. So we can use 500, 5 times 8 40 mil so no problem.

John63

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":1ggbxiyv said:
Scorpion05":1ggbxiyv said:
I almost feel like Russ deserves a front office that will invest in the offense. With multiple pro-bowl o-linemen and a top tier receiver.

We had that.

Plus a top-tier RB.

Duane Brown and Justin Britt are amongst the league's best at their position; the fact that they didn't technically make the Pro Bowl this year would be splitting hairs. They're superior players. Plus Brown was named All-Pro. Sweezy and Fluker - possibly out the door this year, but when they were injured, nobody was doing anything except counting down the days until they returned.

Tyler Lockett and Doug Baldwin keep defensive receivers up at night. We could use more depth, but nobody's arguing their quality. Lockett topped the league in some statistical categories.

Agreed to a point, lets remember 3.5 of the oline are run blockers not pass blocker. Also what we did nto have is a system built for Wilson and for passing.

themunn

Reaction score
Rat":22rwi119 said:
Scorpion05":22rwi119 said:

When Wilson signed his current contract he was 2nd highest paid in the league. Now he is nowhere near that. Salaries increase, that is how it works.

There is maybe 1 qb under 30 (Mahomes) who is better/has greater potential than Wilson. If you want to take a risk finding an elite QB with the 21st pick or later be my guest.But is there any QB taken that late since Wilson was picked that you would rather have?

John63

Reaction score
Scorpion05":173tzlzn said:
I think there’s a misunderstanding to what I posted, just to address MontanaHawk, Largent, and others

Yes he had that, when Wilson was a very young QB and still developing, while relying on his athleticism and quickness to make up for his youth

Wilson is a far superior QB to what he was from 2012-2014. Yes Baldwin and Lockett are really good, but I can easily think of 5 receivers I’d take over them. Same for Britt and Brown. Good, but out of all of our offensive talent, how many of them would be wanted by offensive minded head coaches? Saying we spent twice as much on offense this year is disingenuous. The Saints, Falcons, etc. invest far more money in arguably better offensive personnel

That’s my point. I really like what we have. But it’s also true that we’ve asked Wilson to work with developing talent. We asked Wilson to work with undrafted, still developing Baldwin. And still developing Kearse. And still developing Lockett. And David Moore, and developing Paul Richardson, and undeveloped Tanner McEvoy. And developing O-linemen, and converted O-linemen. We’ve asked Wilson to simply figure it out, no matter his circumstances.

My point is, and I genuinely mean this. If we’re going to complain about paying Wilson, send him to a team with established pieces. With an offensive minded head coach who will center the team around him. And invest in talent. The same way Sean Mcvay did, the same way Andy Reid does. I don’t think this is a reach of an argument, other teams would invest FAR MORE on offense if they had Wilson

we had the # 28th ranked by offensive weapons around the Qb enough said

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24045670/ranking-nfl-best-worst-offensive-arsenals-weapons-2018

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
themunn":1vq75k54 said:
Rat":1vq75k54 said:
Scorpion05":1vq75k54 said:

When Wilson signed his current contract he was 2nd highest paid in the league. Now he is nowhere near that. Salaries increase, that is how it works.

There is maybe 1 qb under 30 (Mahomes) who is better/has greater potential than Wilson. If you want to take a risk finding an elite QB with the 21st pick or later be my guest.But is there any QB taken that late since Wilson was picked that you would rather have?
What have we done under Carroll since Wilson has signed that contract? We've gotten 10 wins in every year, and in 2017 we failed to make the playoffs. In the playoffs we have a less than .500 winrate since 2015 as well. If we resign Wilson, Carroll really needs to start rethinking a few things. Mainly how the passing game is structured.

justafan

Reaction score
This isnt a bash Wilson post. We pay him in my opinion. He is the best we have ever had here.

In the Dallas game he had 6 3rd and makable plays that didnt result in a first down.

On a day he had the highest rating among the QBs this weekend , the team went 2 for 13 and 6 were 3rd and 7 or under on pass plays that failed. He had the opportunities.

I will let others debate why they couldnt convert 2 or 3 of those that may or may not have won the game but he had chances to change the outcome. Audibles, scrambles or just hitting the open reciever I dont know. He will almost always come away with high QB ratings,low turnovers,high comp. % and keep the game close enough to pull out at the end but Saturday was winnable whether you agree with the playcalls or not. He isnt perfect but even with holes in his game the stats look like he was the best on Saturday and I dont think he was on crucial plays.

Latest posts