Pay Geno now? I think.......

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
There is a lot of wishful thinking here. You guys are delusional if you think Geno is going to take a discount or that he's going to get any less than 40 per year at his current pace.

Geno is going to take money from whoever offers him the highest contract. This is likely going to be his last and ONLY big contract. He's going to get whatever he can, he's not going to take a hometown discount out of the goodness of his heart.

I'm also seeing posters talk about Geno Smith taking all he's worth as being a negative reflection of his character, or that he's grown so he'll take less. That talk is nonsense -- at the end of the day the player is entitled and they almost always follow the mighty dollar, and there isn't anything wrong with that. Only a very few players do take a discount, Geno is not going to be that guy.
As much as I'm a Geno homer - This.

Sign him early for a slight 'early friends haven't proven all the way' typa discount and get it done.

Don't care what has to be shoved around/deadcapped/fanagled/LA Ram'ed last year/Smoke and Mirrors. There's money. Find it.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
His consistency and high level of play will command the going rate and the going rate is the franchise tag value at a minimum. There are about a dozen teams that will believe that he would make the difference for putting them over the top. Similar to how Denver perceived Wilson in the preseason. The Jets, Colts, Commanders, and Patriots are examples of teams that may feel that they are just a quarterback away.

I GUARANTEE you that someone, somewhere will pay Geno 40 mil plus per season over four years with half of the money guaranteed because Geno is not going away. The halfway point is much too far into the season to realistically believe that Geno will "come back down to earth". Teams may game plan better for him, but he is surrounded by WEAPONS. As long as the wide receivers, tight ends, and K9 remain healthy, it is going to be damned tough to come up with effective counter measures for Geno. I personally believe that he has already played his way into the money. He would have to completely bomb over several games to lower his stock significantly.

Geno worked diligently hard for his payday. He put in the time. He EARNED it and because his career is only going to enjoy one big contract, someone is going to pay it. His agent negotiates from a position of strength.
AND this.

Love the PC presser the other day: "People talk about him running out of gas. Nothing like that. He knows exactly what he's doing".

I DO NOT CARE if we have to empty the cupboard for him. Don't care about draft picks. We have what we need.

His WEAPONS are his brain, and his ability to find any open receiver without politics. Not caring WHO is his superpower.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Geno is in the perfect situation. He's got two WRs that excel at getting separation in DK and Tyler. He also has an offense with three TEs that can catch and also block. Plus, he has one of the most exciting RBs in the league in K9. He also has an Oline that consistently gives him ample time to survey the field and find an open receiver. Take away one or two of the above and Geno doesn't sparkle the way he has been sparkling.

Plus, Geno is playing for a team that has a defense that is now stopping the run and is also forcing turnovers. Everything is currently clicking but Geno is not the savior of a team that doesn't have the elements that I've listed above. He's not Patrick Mahomes. He's not Josh Allen. Imo, he's not a $40M+/year quarterback. I love what Geno is doing to make this team win games, but I would let Geno walk if he's adamant that he be paid $40M+ for the next couple of years.

sutz

Reaction score
I just love all of the definitive statements around here, like we know what's gonna happen. :LOL:

IMO it would be foolish for Geno to sign now, or before the end of the season, though it is risky to wait. But it's up to him and his agent. $40 mill/year might be a reach, but it's not out of the question, especially if we make some noise in the playoffs.

Last edited:

renofox

Reaction score
It would be almost impossible to sign Geno to an extension this season.

Can't give him a signing bonus because the remaining cap this year is effectively -0-.

Can't give him a big salary next year because current effective 2023 cap is only ~30M and some of that will be needed to plug holes.wuth free agents and leave a reserve for injury replacements.

The only type of contract that would work is something with big guaranteed money backlogged to 2024 and later.

Assuming $30M/year average (which assumes Geno gives a hometown discount), contract would look like something no team in the NFL has ever done.

2023 - $10M guaranteed
2024 - $40M guaranteed
2025 - $40M guaranteed

This only leaves $20M for 2023 FA, and would only be signed if fully guaranteed for injury. It would be huge cap hits in 2024/25 which would hurt FA in those years, also.

I don't see this front office hurting the team's future to that extent for Geno.

It's even going to be tough to get a cap friendly deal this off-season. Geno WILL get offers over $30M and MAY get offers over $40M.

sutz

Reaction score
I read somewhere that OTC had us at $50 mill cap in '23. 🤷‍♂️

QWERTY

Reaction score
I like this.
Is it even possible to sign re-sign someone and give an contract extension in the same season?

More importantly Seahawks don't have the cap room to give him an contract extension this year because of DK.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I could see the Hawks offering Geno a contract similar to the one Tannehill signed with the Titans.

It was four years, $118M total, average $29.5M/year.

renofox

Reaction score
I read somewhere that OTC had us at $50 mill cap in '23. 🤷‍♂️
It's ~$50M with 33 players under contract.

To get to the required 53 using rookie contracts and minimum wage contracts brings it down to ~30M.

Since you don't want to sign only rookies and scrubs, that $30M gets eaten up pretty quickly even without signing top-tier free agents.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
That would be awesome.
And it just seems reasonable. Both would be (was) 32 y/o when they sign(ed) their contracts. Both were former starters. Both are capable QBs signing with somewhat balanced and solid teams. Just seems right to me. Btw, Tannehill signed his two years ago.

Echawks

Reaction score
Pete will not give Geno a contract that will hamper us like the Russell deal..

If Geno comes back with a 40m a year ask, then we can get that nice comp pick in the draft and let Lock go at it with a nice QB in waiting we got out of the draft.

Seak

Reaction score
The "GM" in me would wait until the end of the season to see what happens, and maybe let him walk if the price is to high.
But personally, it seems like he clicks with the team/coach/receivers and is well liked by teammates.
So it would be a shame if he wasn't playing with us next year. Especially with how fun this year has been coming into midseason

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
The "GM" in me would wait until the end of the season to see what happens, and maybe let him walk if the price is to high.
But personally, it seems like he clicks with the team/coach/receivers and is well liked by teammates.
So it would be a shame if he wasn't playing with us next year. Especially with how fun this year has been coming into midseason
Well - in my opinion - there's timing involved in motivating people/players/employees.

I can tell you, Geno is human - he's not 'sweating' his contract right now - but I can guarantee you he's thinking about it. As several have mentioned - it's probably his one and only BIG payday coming due to his age.

WHATEVER deal is to be done, and I hope to god there is one, in my mind, it 'settles' everyone's mind to get it done, and early. It might seem a distraction - but so is 'what's gonna happen' -

Anyhow - whatever form it takes, the earlier the better. Tell him he's 'our guy', and reward him. The only risk is that he gets a big head once paid and stops playing - like .... um.... I dunno.... 'someone' it reminds me of. He doesn't strike me as that type.

If it's gonna happen - do it as soon as we can. IMO.

Geno for Prez!

jeremiah

Reaction score
Okay. I don't know everything about NFL contracts, much less QB specific contracts. What I do know is that IMO, President Smith has given us enough of a sample size that I would have absolutely no problem at all signing an extension with him now. The distracting nature of that process aside, I would hope that it would not derail the season.

To celebrate my new COMPLETELY AWESOME avatar - seriously - check it out!, I pose the following questions:

Should we pay him now?
Should we pay him if/when we make the playoffs?
Should we pay him over the offseason?

And how much?

I love the dude, obviously - BUT - is he worth 40MM+ a year? It's a tough pill to swallow - but I think so. From what I've seen. I said that we needed an 8 or 9 game sample before $$, and now we're there, with things just getting BETTER every week.

A month old article: https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1678...eahawks-handle-possible-geno-smith-extension/ says a couple things.

"Huard thinks Smith needs to show the team a bit more before talks start, though. “Give me the rest of October and into early November. Then maybe make that phone call,” he said."

Well, we're right there now. Further, he says:

So what does Huard think the Seahawks should pay Smith assuming he keeps up his high level of play?

“Two years, $30 million deal (with) $20 million guaranteed. Give Geno significant money, but do a deal where it doesn’t hamper you from drafting somebody in the top 10 if there’s someone that you love,” he said.

I don't think that's enough, personally. I know it's probably out there - but sign the dude to 40MM+/big league contract. And get it done before he slips away. It would show alot of confidence in the ENTIRE SYSTEM THAT HAS FLOURISHED UNDER HIM. It would also boost everyone's confidence and stability. If you take a look at all the names on the overthecap.com site that are 40MM+, um, he's outplaying them.

FURTHER, how could a big money deal on him be any more of a risk than the Donks took on Team 3 - and now are wishing they hadn't. He fits our system. Everyone loves him. I say lock that MF up right now, or in the immediate future. We got what we need. Fine, draft someone next year to learn from him, but that's not even the point.

Sign Geno! And, oh ya, did I mention? Check out the new Avatar!
And, Geno for PREZ! That is all.
Do what we did for our ALL WORLD LT for years. Let him prove it every year. I am thinking he is the type who needs to added pressure to perform. In all honesty, Deno...I mean Geno is NOT the answer, he is the question that destroys our future.

morgulon1

Reaction score
For that much I would let him go.
I'm kind of thinking with op . The next round of QB contracts will be over
60 million per year . 2nd tier guys are making 40 m. Geno Smith is a bad
Dude, I think he'll be better . Does anyone know if he ever had 2 years in a
Great system without some type of trauma?

nanomoz

Reaction score
This seems relevant to me. Even if Geno leaves in free agency, he'll count $3.5 mil. against the 2023 cap because of the "not likely to be earned" incentives in his 2022 contract. "Likely to be earned" incentives (if the player achieved them in the prior season) count against the current year cap. If they aren't met, they're credited to the next year's cap. "Not likely to be earned" incentives weren't met in the prior season, and aren't charged until the following season if the incentives are earned. There's no cap hit if they aren't met.

Here's a more detailed explanation: https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/2/1...p-nfl-geno-smith-contract-nltbe-ltbe-per-game