One thing I haven't heard lately..

Mick063

Reaction score
Home field advantage in the playoffs will spoil you and alter perception.

When was the last time Seattle lost a playoff game? It was in Atlanta. After flying to Washington DC and back the week before.

netskier

Reaction score
The ten AM thing will last until the teams geneticly modify the players to either stop, or reprogram, their circadian rhythms. Circadians rule, so follow them, or suffer the consequences.

Hawks46

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3v0sqqf0 said:
The early away start curse as it seemed was really just an excuse for a team not properly totally prepared for the time change. Pete is a better coach than Holmgren, and his teams are more talented, bigger, faster, stronger, and better than any before Pete's arrival. Getting things coached up and the players believing is an annual task as is the job of keeping the core group together. Hats off to the whole organization as they have come back to seize their division.

One game to go, hopefully a nice Christmas present for the 12s, home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

I could buy into this, except for the rest of the league. West Coast teams, overall, are around a 34% winning percentage on the East Coast at a 10 am start time. It's a real thing, and not just indicative of the Seahawks.

I think Pete managed the times a bit better, as well as our style of play. It's not as hard to line up against someone and beat the crap out of them, whereas Holmgren's offense was all timing and precision. Once it was off, it was hard to get right.

As for losing at STL and KC, yea they were early games, but not EST zone. We're talking CST which is an hour earlier. If anything, the game should be slightly easier because you're an hour closer to your own time. I can't remember the last time we blew out STL in their house, and the Chiefs as well are very good at home.

BASF

Reaction score
I could post the big picture with the year by year breakdown, but I don't think it is needed. I have posted this a few times over the years. I haven't updated the numbers since 2009, since I thought this illustration was pretty much the end of this:

TravelToOppCoastTotals

The time zone differences are right there for all to see. I think the most glaring example is the .500 or better teams traveling back and forth. East coast teams are even when west coast teams are traveling there, but give the West Coast teams those 1pm start times and the West Coast is very superior. Three hours make a difference.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
We haven't played a 10AM game since the loss to KC.. so I don't know how one can just write off the 10AM kickoff time as not being an issue anymore

I mentioned this a few weeks ago too.. the NFC Championship will kickoff at Noon PT. I don't think it will have the same effect as kicking off at 10AM .. but it's a quirky kickoff time for a possible home game nonetheless.

fire_marshall_bill

Reaction score
There's definitely something to the jet lag/early a.m. rising thing. I remember Cal came out really flat against Maryland a few years ago and UCLA came out flat against Nebraska last year. Both were a 9 a.m. Pacific kick. Still, really good teams shouldn't use it as an excuse.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":101890e5 said:
the NFC Championship will kickoff at Noon PT
The playoff schedule is already out?

Unofficial, but it's official.

Conference championship times swap every year.. last year the NFCCG was the night cap.

Also if the Seahawks win tomorrow they will in all likelihood play the final divisional game that weekend... which I believe is a 1:30 PT kickoff.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":3iwc28mo said:
MizzouHawkGal":3iwc28mo said:
the NFC Championship will kickoff at Noon PT
The playoff schedule is already out?

Unofficial, but it's official.

Conference championship times swap every year.. last year the NFCCG was the night cap.

Also if the Seahawks win tomorrow they will in all likelihood play the final divisional game that weekend... which I believe is a 1:30 PT kickoff.
Cool. We'll be at home so the time thing should be mitigated pretty well regardless. (If we win obviously).