Observations that may be somewhat 'random'

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Preface this by stating, I am not kearly.. but hopefully the OG himself feels like jumping into this thread.. and all of you too.

It's been a wild two weeks if you're a Seahawks fan. From Sunday the 12th at 10:00 AM to Sunday the 26th at 10:00 AM.. we saw the Seahawks go from 3-1, happy.. floating about as though everything was great.. to ...

- The Cowboys coming up to Century Link and out and out punking us on our own field
- Losing Bobby Wagner and Byron Maxwell for weeks
- Darrel Bevell, Pete Carroll and co. saying we have to get Harvin the ball down the field more
- By "down the field" they meant a cross-country go route to East Rutherford
- Losing on the road to the mediocre Rams in a rare, non-2013 like manner (special teams and defense stinking up the joint)
- Russell Wilson debating how dark his skin tone is
- Marshawn Lynch apparently being sick of the Seahawks and the feeling being mutual
- Question after question of "What is wrong with this team?"

Well.. for much of the game today, it looked as though the Seahawks were about to add another disappointing tick mark to this growing bullet list of mutiny. But for once, they showed shades of 2013 in playing stingy defense.. getting a couple of turnovers.. and egad.. they won a game in the ugliest manner since arguably the MNF roadie against the Rams a year ago.

What made the 2013 team so great in my eyes was that they had this ability to grind out ugly wins in games where most of the league would fall short. What has stood out about the 2014 team to date is that, this team wasn't making the most out of those same opportunities from a year ago.

But maybe today, that finally changed. Make no bones about it, that Panthers team we beat today is a shell of the one we faced in 2013. It's a 2 man show on offense, and the Luke Keuchly show on defense. They're 3-4-1 but can easily be 2-6.. however for this Seahawks team that has faced so much adversity over the first 8 weeks of the year - this was a really, really, BIG win.

And now, kind of like the weather in Seattle of late with the sun peaking through the clouds.. so goes the Seahawks season .. it obviously remains to be seen if this team will take this win and run off a nice streak of games here.. but for now, they have at least stopped the bleeding.

Now with a hat-tip to Kearly King .. things I liked from today

- Russ shaking off a really bad outing for 55 minutes to lead the team down the field for the winning touchdown. That final drive symbolizes everything I love about the kid. He really does have that "bad game amnesia" that many quarterbacks do not. Kid is clutch. Period. (However, he will make the next area too)

- Paul Richardson on kick returns. Granted he had just two, but showed so much more on those returns than Bryan Walters/Percy Harvin had all year. He needs to stay back there permanently.

- The pass rush FINALLY stepped up. Easily the best game of the year from the defensive line. Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett were in Cam's area all game. Bruce Irvin had two game clinching sacks at the end of the game, and I would say that they were the two best plays he's had in his career so far. Mebane had great penetration on some plays as well.

- Kevin Pierre-Louis played great when Malcolm Smith went down. In fact, I think the defense seemed to tighten up a bit with him in there. Not sure if that's coincidence or not.

- Doug Baldwin had another solid outing and made a couple beautiful grabs on some "yippy" Wilson throws.

- Luke Willson (to quote Dumb and Dumber) TOTALLY REDEEMING HIMSELF for a brutal drop inside the 5 earlier by catching the winning touchdown today.

- Robert Turbin was not terrible at fullback, and played a very solid game altogether.

- Marcus Burley making a really nice interception off of good pressure from Avril/Bennett. Tharold Simon should have had one as well. Nice to see the young corners have good games

- Steven Hauschka suddenly morphing into Jason Elam in Denver on his 58 yard kick. That would have been good from 65. He absolutely destroyed that ball.

- The defense did a great job containing Greg Olsen today. Tight ends have given us hell all year and yet they surprisingly held Olsen to one catch. I also have to give an assist to Panthers OC Mike Shula for some truly jaw-droppingly bad calls all game though. He made Darrel Bevell look like Bill Walsh.

- Richard Sherman probably should have had a pick on the deep pass to Benjamin.. but I felt he again had a pretty solid outing in coverage. I like that he shadowed Benjamin all game as well. The thing I was most impressed about with Sherm today though was his open field tackling. He made some beautiful stops today when runners got to the outside.

- Kevin Norwood had one really good catch where he wasn't expecting the pass to come his way. (He will be in the next set of points too though)

- Earl Thomas had his best game of the season today.. made some really good tackles in the open field, including one for a loss.

- Non Seahawk related, but can we petition the league to have Ian Eagle do most of our games? Just such a money announcer.

Things I really did not like.. as I enjoyed waffles and coffee

- The offensive line still stinks. No long winded paragraph required about that one.

- Marshawn seemed a bit checked out early in the game. Not sure if this was related to all the reports before the game, or if he was just not really into the game because of lack of touches.. but he just did not really seem too into the game. The pass at the goal-line before half should have been an easy touchdown, but lack of concentration makes it a turnover. He did play better in the 2nd half however.

- Offense again came out sputtering and shooting themselves in the foot. Fumbled exchange on the read-option and an under center snap. Lynch's drop which led to a rare red zone INT. Wilson (more on this later) throwing some weird duck when he had Helfet wide open for an easy TD. Willson dropping a pass inside the 3. Bad blocking on run plays. Etc. Etc. This team seems so close to making the necessary steps to becoming elite again, but continues to shoot themselves in the foot. What was a nail-biting 13-9 win should have been a comfortable victory. They just refuse to make things easy on themselves.

- While Sherman had a great day tackling in the open field, the defense still had way too many missed tackles. I know Cam Newton is a load to handle.. but he really should have been sacked at least 3 more times, one of which would have been a safety. The defense needs to correct this before they start playing the likes of Arizona, San Fran, Philly, etc.

- Final drive excluded, Russ was all over the place today.. very puzzling considering how red hot he was last week in St. Louis. And one could really say that aside from the 2nd half against the Rams, he's been pretty erratic throwing the football since the first quarter against Washington. I would wager a lot of these problems are due to shoddy protection.. but even when he had time today he flat missed throws, or had WR's bail him out with some really nice grabs (see Baldwin, Doug and Helfet, Cooper).

- Probably in relation to said shoddy blocking, but I really wish we'd take shots down the field. If my memory serves correctly, Wilson took one shot down-field all game.. and that was to Richardson who IMO was interfered with.. but that's neither here nor there. I just think with the speed we have in Rich and Lockette that they can afford a couple big shots down the field, especially if the offense is sputtering all over the place.

- Kevin Norwood running a route one yard short of the sticks. Nice hands by the rook, but need better field awareness than that. (Kind of nitpicking at this point)

All in all.. even though the win was freakin' ugly.. it still feels really damn good.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up man. Agree with most of your points and you brought up several things I'd forgotten about. I think your best statement in the write-up was this:
"This team seems so close to making the necessary steps to becoming elite again, but continues to shoot themselves in the foot. What was a nail-biting 13-9 win should have been a comfortable victory. They just refuse to make things easy on themselves.".
Couldn't agree more. It does give me hope that if they get this stuff straightened out we will see the 30 point per game offense I believe they can be......well that and a bit better o-line play.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Good write up. Wilson had one of his worst games through 3.5 quarters and then, like you said, shook it off and got the winning score. He is nails.

HawkSouth

Reaction score
Thanks for the write-up! Very nice read.

A win is a win - and a win on the road, on the East Coast at 10AM, is particularly satisfying. Let's just keep going 1-0 every week.

Laloosh

Reaction score
pocketprotector":1qtlnb12 said:
Reaneypark":1qtlnb12 said:
Wilson had one of his worst games through 3.5 quarters
Outside of one bad throw, just what the hell are you talking about?

He was throwing behind guys all game.

capncrunch

Reaction score
Excellent points. We came and took the win in the end of the game like we couldn't against Dallas or San Diego. Wow. That was satisfying to see after much torture earlier in the game. We did get some sacks and a pick and held an opponent to six points. I was proud of the guys holding tough in the redzone in the first half. I am so glad to be rid of Harvin. The emergence of Richardson and Norwood and Michael is really cool to watch. We at least tried one deep ball. It was a nice route and display of speed by Richardson and a great pass. Almost got it. PI perhaps or a good defensive effort. Pretty much agony to see them hit the deep ball on 3rd down and our fumble, but the guys "finished" nicely as Pete likes to say. We've got to start catching the damn ball when their qb throws it right to our defenders! Penalties were actually not quite as bad as previous games. It was cool to see another team make one to give us a first down for a change.

Thanks for the write up.

DistantHawk

Reaction score
I thought Turbin was more than solid today. 5 touches for 42 yards is very handy.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
rainger":1tfa3yuj said:
pocketprotector":1tfa3yuj said:
Reaneypark":1tfa3yuj said:
Sure hope U R not referring to the interception as the one bad throw.

He's probably referring to missing Helfet for the wide open TD.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Seanhawk":38hh211s said:
rainger":38hh211s said:
pocketprotector":38hh211s said:
Reaneypark":38hh211s said:
Sure hope U R not referring to the interception as the one bad throw.

He's probably referring to missing Helfet for the wide open TD.

Wilson was off-target a lot today, all day, even taking the pressure into account. Threw behind guys, threw numerous balls that were unnecessarily tough to catch but guys caught anyway (Baldwin, Turbo) Sure, Lynch should have caught that ball, but placing it overhead with excessive mustard on it may have contributed to that. To a WR, OK, but to a RB, maybe a lower percentage play.

Personally, I think it's just like a pitcher not always having his best stuff, and having to work through it, and trying to find his groove. Russell did that. Possibly he is even nicked up in some way that we're not being told about that is a factor in this.

Tical21

Reaction score
Very nice write-up. I didn't watch the whole game so I'll comment on about two and a half quarters.

Our running game is broken. We may have to become more proficient passing the ball down the field before we see that change.

Russell had a huge run when we needed it.

We don't stomp around and clap our hands and whoop and holler like we did last year.

Great to see Bruce at the end, although he and the rest of the LB's were just about invisible all game long. We've got to put him at end more. I liked Schofield, but he really hasn't done a thing all year long besides get blocked. Where was KJ today?

Sherman has to knock that ball down on 3rd and a mile with the game on the line.

Mike Bennett has to find a way to get Cam to the ground, easier said than done, I know.

I'm not going to hit on Russell too much, considering I'm still in the fetal position from the beating I took suggesting I wouldn't pay him, but he's got to be more accurate if we are going to beat good teams.

Great to see the young guys stepping up. Is it possible that some of our young vets have already lost a bit of hunger, and it is already time for the next wave to step in?

It might be worth noting that Richardson didn't jump for that deep ball. Hopefully this is a sign that he didn't want that safety to kill him, rather than being a sign of bad ball skills.

I don't think we should take Mebane out on as many passing situations as we do. I'd rather sub someone in for him a bit on run downs, because I think he gets better inside pressure than anybody else we have, by a considerable margin.

Geez, Kelvin Benjamin has a high catching zone. Wow.

I thought Bevell was pretty good again today, except that we were pretty transparent. When it was a running situation, we went with a running formation and tried play-action. Didn't work.

We did a little better out of empty today. You can really tell that it helps Russell to know if we are in zone or man, and he hit a nice ball over the middle against zone and had a chance against man but threw the ball about three yards behind the receiver on back-to-back empty set plays.

We didn't hear from Okung today from what I saw. That has to be a good sign.

Avril looked better than he has the past couple of games.

Wow, I'm stretching now. Needed to have it today, and got it. Big road win. I don't think we're going to blow many people out. They're too prepared and coming too hard at us. We're going to have to grind some of these out, and we're going to have to get Marshawn going at some point. 4-3 ain't that bad.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
It was not a Luke Kuechly show on defense. Kawann Short gave us all kinds of fits. They were stingy in the run after the catch game.

A win in Carolina is nothing to sneeze at. Look at the history there.

seedhawk

Reaction score
Typical Carolina game. 3 years in a row in their house, and every one makes ugly look good.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
pocketprotector":1se569cg said:
Reaneypark":1se569cg said:

He was missing guys a lot today. And the fumbled exchange on the read-option was also on him. So, yeah, I stand by what I wrote.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Reaneypark":3mmaj4qu said:
pocketprotector":3mmaj4qu said:
Reaneypark":3mmaj4qu said:

He was missing guys a lot today. And the fumbled exchange on the read-option was also on him. So, yeah, I stand by what I wrote.

Yeah I agree.....I love him but he wasn't sharp until the end of the game.....12th game winning drive in 2 1/2 years made up for it though!

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Chawks1":2vouz6pn said:
Reaneypark":2vouz6pn said:
pocketprotector":2vouz6pn said:
Reaneypark":2vouz6pn said:

Yeah I agree.....I love him but he wasn't sharp until the end of the game.....12th game winning drive in 2 1/2 years made up for it though!

I feel like choking saying it, but Russ's performance was Elway-esque today.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Has there ever been a game where we missed more opportunities and still won? Muffed punt goes right into Shead's hands, and we can't get it. Simon has to ball thrown right to him and can't catch it. Cam mistakes KJ for his guy, and KJ drops it. 2 3rd down completions that are half a yard too short. A sure TD going through Lynch's hands and into a defender's. A fumbled snap in the redzone. And a sure safety that isn't. Russ misses a wide open Helfet because he can't get a good grip on the ball.

For all the things that swung our way last year, the exact opposite seems to be happening this year. Every roll of the dice seemed to come up snake eyes today but we pulled it out. Good win and I think there is a lot to build on again.

Some observations:

In the last few weeks I've seen Russell's footwork look pretty poor at times. There are still throws where his footwork is perfect, but overall he's become pretty inconsistent with his feet and it's leading to a lot of inaccurate throws that could be avoided. A 3rd down pass to Doug was off because of that and a high pass for Willson, among others. He'll need to fix that or his accuracy is going to continue to be erratic.

KJ cannot play MLB anywhere near the level of Bobby and Irvin needs to stay at DE. The only times in this game where I saw 51 in a positive way was when he was at DE. I saw a great spin move, I saw power and I saw speed today and I'm just overall impressed with him. Though the 2 offsides were pretty dumb. And did anyone else notice the way he rocked (bounced) late in the game? It looked like he was counting with his body instead of his head. Either way it worked.

Really liked what I saw from Richardson and Norwood today. Norwood had one completion where he looked surprised the ball arrived when it did and still managed to hang on and convert the 1st down. Heads up play and great concentration to hang on. Good to see Richardson go deep today, even though it wasn't a completion.

Good to see the pass rush show up today, though we'll have to see if it was more a product of Carolina's O-line woes or if Pete's "changes" worked. Bennett looked fantastic in this game and Avril showed up a few times as well, I'll have to see the snap % to see if there's a big change.

Burley may have gotten a pick but I still think he's pretty bad.

I really wonder how this team plans to run the ball without Lynch. We have no consistent way to run the ball right now. Agree with Tical that our run game is totally broken.

No Pete... Not Sherm at PR...

Remember when we thought Scruggs was going to be good? Cuz I think I saw Jonathan Stewart drag him like 5 yards.

I was super down on Benjamin coming out of college but on some of those completions Sherman had blanket coverage and Benjamin just had a wider catch radius that Sherm had break up radius.

Still so much to work on and hopefully we can start getting guys back out there. A little worried at the hits Russ is taking and the poor footwork and pocket nervousness. I don't particularly blame him, our line hasn't been great but he really left some plays on the field today and they are all plays I think he normally makes. Just needs to settle down. As for the D, our LBs are a problem still and our run D is a major concern.

But 1-0 this week. Let's see if this team can string together some wins and get some momentum going before hard part of the schedule hits.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
Reaneypark":167gg84a said:
pocketprotector":167gg84a said:
Reaneypark":167gg84a said:

Which guys did he miss?