Now's the time Percy

Status
Not open for further replies.

General Manager

Reaction score
It could be that the surgery has simply not healed correctly and there keeping a lid on it. Or he reinjured it and there keeping a lid on that . It's possible I guess that it's just soreness and there being cautious but that doesn't feel like the whole story to me.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
It's fair to feel that way. And you better believe it's not the whole story but my deal is why the sense of entitlement that you should know even half of the actual details? Pretty arrogant and spoiled from where I sit.

General Manager

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":1ntdmhym said:
It's fair to feel that way. And you better believe it's not the whole story but my deal is why the sense of entitlement that you should know even half of the actual details? Pretty arrogant and spoiled from where I sit.

I'm a guitar player in a metal band arrogance is required. Just kidding, seriously though the point of my post was there is more to this story than we know, not that I or we the fans are entitled to know.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
General Manager":o793m60m said:
KCHawkGirl":o793m60m said:

I'm a guitar player in a metal band arrogance is required. Just kidding, seriously though the point of my post was there is more to this story than we know, not that I or we the fans are entitled to know.
I think you are on to something.I am just hoping we may be overreacting or assuming worst case scenerio with no basis or facts.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HansGruber":2ikg3rnh said:
kmedic":2ikg3rnh said:
Really the blame should not go on Percy but rather Schneider and Carroll for making a blunder of a move. I agree Percy cannot control his own injuries and the ensuing rehab process. This was simply a risky move that was miscalculated by the front office. For as much as Schneider and Carroll should be applauded for picking guys like Sherm, Kam, and Baldwin, they need to be held accountable for poor decisions like Harvin.

Agree to disagree.

Harvin was paid under the assumption of health. He came here talking about wanting to win. Then he got paid and decided to have a season ending surgery. There's no way Schneider and Carroll could have foreseen that. You can't blame them.

The only thing that bothered me was the reports out there about Harvin quitting on his team last season, refusing to play under the same circumstances. Many Vikings fans said this would happen and it did. We should pay attention to that. But honestly, if Carroll was the type to listen to everyone else, we wouldn't have Sherman, Wilson, Chancellor, Lynch and other core members of the team.

Overall though, screw Harvin. He got paid and he quit. He never cared about this team and never intended to play. Cut him.
Agree with you Hans, on all fronts. And conveniently he is now incognito both in person and apparently on Twitter.

Those of you that want to see him cut though, ain't gonna happen folks, not unless he's injured permanently and then a settlement will be allowed I believe. They've invested too much and his potential impact is too great to blow him out of town.

Sadly I predict we'll see more of this year play out next season after which he'll slink out of town after being cut. Conveniently at that point he'll declare himself healthy and possibly one more sucker team will put forth what will likely, considering his history, be a very minimal financial risk only to watch it play out one last time before he retires to the Bahamas with tens of millions of dollars never really earned but only received based on potential and physical gifts.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":i0jcti8v said:
:13:

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
No one knows the true details, so I'm going to trust Pete and take his word, Percy won't be ready and healed until sometime in the off season.

Seeing him week 1 of next season is mandatory in my eyes, if not I'll start to question a lot, but thankfully I don't think the FO is stupid enough to leave him on the team if this is some kind of career ending thing.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HansGruber":1071cz1s said:
Harvin was paid under the assumption of health. He came here talking about wanting to win. Then he got paid and decided to have a season ending surgery. There's no way Schneider and Carroll could have foreseen that. You can't blame them.

The only thing that bothered me was the reports out there about Harvin quitting on his team last season, refusing to play under the same circumstances. Many Vikings fans said this would happen and it did. We should pay attention to that. But honestly, if Carroll was the type to listen to everyone else, we wouldn't have Sherman, Wilson, Chancellor, Lynch and other core members of the team.

Overall though, screw Harvin. He got paid and he quit. He never cared about this team and never intended to play. Cut him.

You must hate every injured player.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2gpvc4ha said:
I'll I want for Christmas is a time machine and Cordarelle Patterson

All I want is a time machine and a trade for Josh Gordon instead of Harvin. Gordon was available, would have cost less in trade, and was still under his rookie deal. Put Gordon on this offense? Terrifying.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
I'm pretty disappointed with the whole Harvin situation, as many fans and even Percy himself probably feel as well.

With all the possibilities of why things are the way they are today, one thing stands out to me: hip surgery is NO casual thing. Even more so than ACL, high ankle sprains, etc, hip (or shoulder joint) injuries are just going to take a very LONG time to heal IF EVER. It seems to me with all the people I know who have suffered hip or shoulder injuries, roughly 50% or more are NEVER THE SAME after the procedure. I was highly skeptical of Percy coming back at all this season; the Minnesota game surprised me when he came back and looked decent, but the ultimate result is what I was afraid of with regards to physically not being able to perform after that.

Let's say Percy miraculously heals enough to participate in the post season: it is a very very real thing that he simply is not in football shape. He hasn't practiced with the team; the chemistry is simply not there at that point. If anything, football is not a game just about how powerful you are or how athletic or fast....it is a game of chemistry, organized fury, and a finely tuned orchestra of brutality. If he comes back, he realistically is coming back after TWO seasons of NO practical football experience coming in. No....even Percy is not that much of a savior.

We are going into the post season with who we got. That "We all we got....We all we need" never rang truer than now. We will win or lose with the personnel we have and cannot rely on a Percy Harvin to save us from our weaknesses.

Sorry for the preaching. I'm probably just trying to raise my own spirits over this.

HansGruber

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1sgrcocq said:
HansGruber":1sgrcocq said:

You must hate every injured player.

I don't hate anyone. That suggestion is silly.

What I do hate is that we have multiple core players coming up for contract negotiations, with yet one more injury prone free agent receiver eating tons of cap.

The pickup bothered me from the get go. Especially after researching the claim from a Viking fan who stated that Harvin's injury history (long streak of games started) was tainted by a tendency to quit in the middle of games, saying he was experiencing pain. So I went to espn and read a bunch of game recaps and found out that was true. Many games in which Harvin "started", he ended up missing multiple drives because of injury concerns.

And what really scares me now is that it looks like one of two things might be true:

a) Harvin has a low pain threshold
and/or:
b) Harvin has a serious injury that might never heal properly.

A hip injury, specifically a muscle tear in the hip that requires surgery that does not heal within 6 months is a very serious concern for an athlete. If Harvin isn't "faking it" (unwilling to play through pain), then we may just have traded some good starters and a ton of cap for a guy who will never truly contribute. This scenario looks increasingly likely. And as stated earlier, the only real alternative is that Harvin won't ever play through pain and that would be even more troublesome.

Will I

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":1gls4p3p said:
TheRealDTM":1gls4p3p said:
I'll I want for Christmas is a time machine and Cordarelle Patterson

All I want is a time machine and a trade for Josh Gordon instead of Harvin. Gordon was available, would have cost less in trade, and was still under his rookie deal. Put Gordon on this offense? Terrifying.

I don't really see the point in hashing out the past and playing the what if game like this. With all the great moves the front office has made, why can't we accept that not every move is a home run. I know they swung for the fences on this move, and IMO it's waaaay too early to say its a miss, even if PH doesn't play until next year (which is looking more likely every day). He still has 5 years left in this contract after all. I for one am glad they went for the big play, and although it may not have worked out this year, no reason to sit around wishing this player or that player was here instead. We have who we have, let's talk about what they are going to do with the players on this roster rather than what they could've done with players who are on other teams.

daketah

Reaction score
It seems to me that the FO has had the luxury to wait on PH's recovery because of the substance abuse suspension, and the fact that #41 and #20 have played well.

Somebody is going to be opening up a roster spot really soon, and it will probably be PH.

The Hawks defense is clearly the strength that will carry this team. With WT3 back, we might have the best dime package ever to play against Brady or Manning.

AndyOswald10

Reaction score
Seeing Percy make those 2 plays in the Minnesota game have made this whole situation so much harder to take... I don't think he is faking anything. I don't think they are holding him back. I think he got re-injured on the kick return and sadly we wont see him again this year. I don't think he is trying to take his money and run in any way, shape or form. He wants to be the star of the show, and he will be when he's healthy. It's disappointing because he was brought here to be the difference maker in the playoffs, and its likely he wont be with us for said playoffs. Percy needs to go on the back burner until next season... We are on the verge of the #1 seed and home field, but all we can talk about is a guy who has played one half of one game so far.

Ozzy

Reaction score
So is it the same thing Chancellor had last year? Is it something he can hurt even more? I was under the impression its more of a pain tolerence thing. If thats the case then he needs to play and help the team. If its something he would risk damaging then I get being cautious with it. I don't know enough of the answers. It is hard to hear things like he quit on his team last year. Ugly situation and I'm as disappointed as anyone. He would be a HUGE addition to an offense that needs explosive players...especially since our other explosive option in Michael isn't being played.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
austinslater25":37fflpop said:
So is it the same thing Chancellor had last year? Is it something he can hurt even more? I was under the impression its more of a pain tolerence thing. If thats the case then he needs to play and help the team. If its something he would risk damaging then I get being cautious with it. I don't know enough of the answers. It is hard to hear things like he quit on his team last year. Ugly situation and I'm as disappointed as anyone. He would be a HUGE addition to an offense that needs explosive players...especially since our other explosive option in Michael isn't being played.
Same area but different injury and far more severe. What is pissing me off about the gang of 5/10 (you know who you are) is they're talking out their asses and unlike myself or Percy ever had hip surgery obviously by the ignorance they insist on posting ad nauseum. Which is major not routine no matter what the doctors say.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Just as an FYI for everyone harping on the "severity" of his hip surgery and how that makes this a unique situation, these events almost mirror exactly with his ankle injury last year. Frazier kept expecting him back but he couldn't get it just "right." They eventually shut him down for half a season for an injury that was supposed to heal within a month. He went MIA from the locker room, sideline and team events... sort of like he is now. Some people wanted to blame it on his discontent with Ponder, but there were reports that he battled with the Vikings medical staff. Earlier this year, he ignored the Seattle staff's opinion that he could play with the hip issue. Instead, he went to New York, got a second opinion, and announced to the world that he was getting the surgery before even flying back to Seattle.

Look, I'm not going to condemn the guy just yet, and I'll still cheer hard for him if he gets back, but refusing to understand why people are unwilling to give him the benefit of the doubt is just as ignorant as anything else that is being said in this thread.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
This is a huge game. I think now's the time for Percy to at least be suited up and available on the sideline--they'd have do gameplan for him even if he didn't play. It'll probably be a ream anyway, even without him, but...

bigcc

Reaction score
to be fair him choosing the surgery was by no means a "Selfish" move or ploy to miss the season..... he saw the same doctor his good friend AP went to that fixed his ACL to 2000 yards

Status
Not open for further replies.