Not the same as last year.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I identify with what you're saying, but I think both Seattle and San Francisco are capable of a late-season surge. Seattle showed signs against AZ, especially on defense.

If Kaepernick can get hot and find some running room, San Fran is still capable of beating anyone.

chawx

Reaction score
Pak40.":296es034 said:
I am a 49er fan. I have to say, this coming Thursday just does not have the same epic feel of last years games. Last year i knew that if we got home field advantage and made the super bowl we would win, and I knew the same of Seattle. That is what made last years games so intense. It was as if whoever won the division was a lock to go all the way.

Seattle is not doing as good as last year, so if they do make it in, i do not see an unstoppable run to the title like last season. Having watched every snap of the 49ers this year, I have the feeling that even if we get to the playoffs, it will not mean anything. Our offense seems stuck in the mud. Cant score any points, even against teams like Washington, at home. Anyway, I still look forward to the games, but it just does not seem as intense as last year.

I agree, it's not the same as last year, because last year I felt that the 49ers were going to make it close against Seattle at SF and that it was going to be a tough game for us to win—in fact, it was probably the only game last year I went in thinking we were going to probably lose...this year? Not so much. That tiny window opening that SF had when they flipped the script on the NFL and played Kaep over Smith and gimmicked their way to the big game has passed. There's nothing really scary about SF any more.

I've been wrong before, believe me, but I just don't see how SF comes out of this game with a win without major officiating help. So, yeah, that's why it's not the same as last year...last year SF had a chance against us, this year, nah. :th2thumbs:

Good luck tomorrow!

Kap4president

Reaction score
Both teams are capable of going all the way! if Niners can just get offensively viable we can do great things! And that starts with KAP running like we know he can. I still say Arizona is gonna choke away the division to one of us!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I firmly believe that all three, Seattle, Cards, and 49ers, will make the playoffs. Of course, one will win the division and the other two as wildcards. I believe that St. Louis is better than most of the other playoff teams like Cowboys, Eagles, and Lions. I think the Eagles and Lions are the most likely to drop out of the race. Eagles because of a poor defense and Sanchez at QB. The Lions because, they're the Lions and they find ways to lose. Furthermore, an NFC West team will make it to the SB. This is by far the best division in the NFL.

AgentDib

Reaction score
As others have said this is thinking driven by the current standings. What team in the league would feel confident facing the Hawks or 49ers in the playoffs? The Hawks were not invincible last year either but they played great D and game managed their way on offense to a Super Bowl.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Pak40.":2lbr8dfm said:
I am a 49er fan. I have to say, this coming Thursday just does not have the same epic feel of last years games. Last year i knew that if we got home field advantage and made the super bowl we would win, and I knew the same of Seattle. That is what made last years games so intense. It was as if whoever won the division was a lock to go all the way.

Seattle is not doing as good as last year, so if they do make it in, i do not see an unstoppable run to the title like last season. Having watched every snap of the 49ers this year, I have the feeling that even if we get to the playoffs, it will not mean anything. Our offense seems stuck in the mud. Can't score any points, even against teams like Washington, at home. Anyway, I still look forward to the games, but it just does not seem as intense as last year.

I think OP secretly knows we are just as competitive as last year, and Niners aren't.

Largent80

Reaction score
Pak40.":2tnuv5bs said:
I am a 49er fan. I have to say, this coming Thursday just does not have the same epic feel of last years

Sorry man, but it is MEGA epic to me. Same as every year. I actually believe the short turnaround favors Seattle because of the way the defense played. Less time in between is about momentum, and the Hawks have it on both sides of the ball, and even special teams. 49ers will need their best game of the year to beat the Hawks.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
Largent80":33o5uzpy said:
I actually believe the short turnaround favors Seattle because of the way the defense played. Less time in between is about momentum, and the Hawks have it on both sides of the ball, and even special teams. 49ers will need their best game of the year to beat the Hawks.
Also, we have a younger team in which we should recover from the previous game quicker on the shorter week. Also, I believe Carroll managed the Cards game with this in mind (just my feeling.)

irocdave

Reaction score
From a Hawks fan perspective, we knew last year was our year because of the way our team played at the end of the 2012 campaign. The Hawks got some breaks during 2013, officiating, schedule etc. But that NFCCG was close, much closer than most of us Hawk fans remember. The players cut for salary reasons this past off season hurt, big time. Any one see Chris Clemons knock the stuffing out of Luck repeatedly last weekend? Big Red had a nice game also, sure could have used both of those guys this year. Browner also, look at how he has changed the Patriots attitude on D.
That said, the Hawks D still has the core intact and it's starting to look a lot like last years D. Lynch is Lynch and RW is at his best when he can squirt out of the backfield and run or better yet stop on a dime and pass on broken plays.

Niners are still in the running and have the same shot at the playoffs as the Hawks. It would be awesome to see 3 teams from the NFCW make the playoffs, but I don't see it happening. Best case scenario would be the cards losing out and niners / Hawks get in. They both can take out the glamour teams in the NFC either home or away. Top shelf defenses and great running games still beat HOF QB's / receivers, no running game and crappy defenses.

The winner of tomorrows game will make the playoffs. I don't think the loser does. Hope I'm wrong because a rematch of last years NFCCG would be epic on all levels. The viewing audience would be huge, I would guess bigger than the SB.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
BlueTalons":2d0fzme4 said:
I believe Carroll managed the Cards game with this in mind (just my feeling.)

I'm not saying your wrong on this. But how do you suppose he would do that in real life? Substituting? Marshawn taking rests? I'd really like to know.

Optimus25

Reaction score
i understand your point about how things have seemed to have lost intensity, but both of these teams are the types of teams i would have nightmares about if i were an opposing coach having to play them in the first round of the playoffs. I mean can you imagine trying to gameplan against a wild card seattle if you're say, new orleans, who may pull off the putrid NFC south?, especially after getting absolutely crushed twice by seattle last year back when brees actually looked exceptional. i believe santa clara or seattle is truly capable of putting together a championship run after gaining the momentum from tomorrow however the chips may fall. it's the nature of the nfc west, even in its 'degraded' condition- it is the grinder of all grinders. after gore and lynch run against each others' opposing defenses twice a year plus the Cards twice, other D's seem, well, impotent come January.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
According to the talking heads one of these teams will make the post season and the other will sit home... if the players believe that then lack of intensity should not be an issue.