Not the same as last year.

Pak40.

Reaction score
I am a 49er fan. I have to say, this coming Thursday just does not have the same epic feel of last years games. Last year i knew that if we got home field advantage and made the super bowl we would win, and I knew the same of Seattle. That is what made last years games so intense. It was as if whoever won the division was a lock to go all the way.

Seattle is not doing as good as last year, so if they do make it in, i do not see an unstoppable run to the title like last season. Having watched every snap of the 49ers this year, I have the feeling that even if we get to the playoffs, it will not mean anything. Our offense seems stuck in the mud. Can't score any points, even against teams like Washington, at home. Anyway, I still look forward to the games, but it just does not seem as intense as last year.

lucky49

Reaction score
both teams are different beasts in postseason

niners and hawks can both beat GB in playoffs for sure
cards too probably especially w/ stanton
both can definitely beat lions bc of experience
whoever comes out of nfc south will be cake
nfc east is soft

this game can decide a playoff berth and both teams have good super bowl chances if they get in even as 6 seeds. so it's pretty important and will be a great game. still think in the very end niners/hawks will be the best

RunTheBall

Reaction score
I agree that both teams are not the same as last year, but both defenses are still good enough to propel either team to a deep playoff run in my opinion. Both defenses are tough, physical, hard-nosed and that alone will favor either or both teams if they get into the playoffs whether playing at home or on the road.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Neither team is "like last year". The Hawks are a "shell" of last year's greatness. However, if we look good beating the Niners Thursday....we will continue to be on the upward swing.

OP
OP
Pak40.

Pak40.

Reaction score
Perhaps whoever gets into the playoffs MIGHT beat GB at home, unlikely. And if they do, can they beat the AFC team in the SB? NE looking strong.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I agree with you, PAK. I feel the same way that neither team possesses the dominance that was exhibited by both teams last year. But both teams still have strengths, and once in the post-season, the season starts over to some degree!

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Pak40.":13pe48en said:
Perhaps whoever gets into the playoffs MIGHT beat GB at home, unlikely. And if they do, can they beat the AFC team in the SB? NE looking strong.
It has been proven that the Pat's are very beatable, and I think if it came right down to brass tacks, the Defense of The Cards, The 49rs ,or the Seahawks could easily be the fly in the ointment for the Patriots.

DrDix

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but this game feels way more tense and big than the 2 regular season games last season. This one means much more than those two as we are fighting for the playoffs, rather than who is the the 1 or 5 seed.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Sorry Broham but NOT as good as last year?

Sure through 11 games 2013 Seahawks were 10-1.

But... they easily could have lost.

@ Car, Panthers RB fumbled go-ahead TD drive at the 8 yard line, won by 5
@ Hou, OT win by 3, took a RS25 pick6 magic to tie it.
@ St.L, survived a GL stand by 5
Vs TB, OT win by 3

And just as well be 7-4. Not sugarcoating it, just saying, if you thought we were a dominant team every game... think again... 'Haeks were just fortunate enough to get the breaks they needed it when they needed it... be it luck or skill or a mixture of both... the 2014 Seahawks just haven't been as fortunate.

Yet the biggest differences from 2013 to 2014 is...

1. Tougher Schedule Overall vs 2013
2. That's with also defending their King of the Hill status
3. Defense has faced more Elite QBs: 4 to 2
4. Biased Officiating, Refs are clearly allowing Seahawks opponents to play loose while keeping the Seahawks on a leash.
5. Injuries, not that the Seahawks didn't have about the same amount of injuries in 2013, practically similar positions sans losing Mebane. They just don't have that elite depth like they did in 2013.

But now in their last 5 games.

1. Still a tough schedule but its pretty much win or go home mentality from here on out.
2. They've took every teams best shot so far and are still standing wiith a fighter's chance to win the Division and perhaps the NFC.
3. They face no more elite QBs the rest of the way, or types of QBs that don't make mistakes like Alex Smith. Kaepernick, Sanchez, Stanton, and Hill... these are the guys the LOB feast on.
4. Seahawks probably by now understand that they not only have to beat their opponent but as well play better to overcome the officiating.
5. Players are getting healthy, swagger is building up, and the young players that lacked experience now have some under their belts which is something they can build off of. A Seahawks team that can stabilize itself in these final weeks , is a very scary team.

2014 Seahawks are still a Championship calibur team... the road has just be harder and not as friendly.

Seafan

Reaction score
9ers were a great team last year and Seattle was a once in a lifetime team in terms of depth and talent on defense and had some explosive talent on offense as well. This season is an example of the damage of the salary cap to great young teams. Both teams are still very good but are not that huge notch above the rest of the league like last year. And without all the depth, injuries have really knocked them down. But like other posters have said, both teams are credible playoff teams with as good a chance as any team to make a run.

RiverDog

Reaction score
I agree. This season has a lot different feel to it. From the perspective of a 12, last year seemed destined that we were going to go to the SB. We started out hot, had a mini slump in December, then rallied at the end of the year. Even when we were not playing our best football against inferior teams, we found ways to win. Part of it has to be the SB curse. We don't seem to be as hungry as we were last season.

But I sense that some of that is changing. Our defense finally played with passion and we started to see more activity out of the front 7, which I attribute to Wagner's return. The question is if we can sustain it. Tomorrow's game will be very telling in more ways than one. We lose and we kiss goodbye any hope of overtaking the Cards for the division title and will be reduced to fighting for table scraps, ie a wild card spot. But if we win, it could be a springboard to running the table, perhaps a first round bye if the stars line up just right.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
DrDix":3ngxn97d said:
I don't know about you, but this game feels way more tense and big than the 2 regular season games last season. This one means much more than those two as we are fighting for the playoffs, rather than who is the the 1 or 5 seed.

Agree.
Huge game. All we have to do is get a ticket to the show. And this year it's through San Francisco.

For the other comments; yes, but this is the NFL - all teams have to live with it.

McGruff

Reaction score
I still believe these are the top 2 teams in the NFC, and both are just now getting back to strength.

Chawks1

Reaction score
Agree both teams might not have started out as good as last years teams. But they mirror each other in their challenges with injuries and lineup changes. But both teams are getting healthier and figuring things out. I still believe both teams are built to win in the post season. There is no clear front runner to the Super Bowling the NFC. The Cards have no rnning game and a backup QB. SC and Seattle and their defenses and run games they can beat any of the contenders, even on the road. I believe one of these 2 teams will still make it to the Super Bowl this year. Of course I lean decidedly to the Hawks doing it.

Giedi

Reaction score
McGruff":1281v7y6 said:
I still believe these are the top 2 teams in the NFC, and both are just now getting back to strength.
I agree.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I'll give you my Marshawn Lynch response to your post.

Yeah!

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Pak40.":3dxsh308 said:

Yes they can beat the AFC team in SB. Denver looked strong this time last season too...what happened? An NFC team crushed them in SB.

BlueTalons

Reaction score
hawkfan68":12s5juab said:
Pak40.":12s5juab said:

Yes they can beat the AFC team in SB. Denver looked strong this time last season too...what happened? An NFC team crushed them in SB.
I actually love the fact that the NFCW has become a strong division and that we have to go through it at the end. The strong only get stronger by more resistance. I believe that the entire division has feed off each other to get stronger and the survivor will be battle tested and ready for a deep playoff run. The SB winner will likely come from the West once again!

sutz

Reaction score
Both teams are built to do well in the playoffs, and in winter football, with emphasis on running and defense. That means they can win on the road, too, even in the playoffs. Both teams have had recent success playing road playoff games, so I can live with needing to travel if we have to.

Both teams are more or less already in playoff mode. Any loss now will have big ramifications on the playoff seeding. A win keeps hopes alive for the Div crown. A loss, and that team is looking at probably settling for a WC spot. Either way, it is likely we might meet up again in January.

Oh, the Seahawks with Russell Wilson have a pretty good record against the top QBs in the league, including Brady. ;)