Reaction score
The other 9 teams aren't in play here, the Kings are

Bigger fish eats little fish, that's the way of the world

salamander

Reaction score
Shaz":2l81rask said:
The other 9 teams aren't in play here, the Kings are

Bigger fish eats little fish, that's the way of the world

I guess it depends on your perspective. The NBA apparently thinks they are better off keeping the team in Sacramento.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
salamander":evy7i5p0 said:
Seahawk Sailor":evy7i5p0 said:
No. In 2008, we were told relocating a team with a 41-year history to a one-sport town was absolutely the right thing to do, and it was voted on unanimously. Now, moving a many-times-moved team back to a built-in, well established fan base in a larger market, under a near-perfect stadium and ownership deal is absolutely wrong?

Sorry. Not buying that.

In 2008 you were screwed...Screwing another city now may be the path forward for you, but I don't think anyone would call it absolutely the right thing to do. The Kings have been in Sacramento for 30 years and have a well established fan base in a market larger than 9 other teams in the league.

It's not 30 years yet. And let's not pretend it's the same situation. Sonics were born and raised in Seattle. Kings were vagabonds.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Lot of speculation right now - I'll reserve my enthusiasm for the day that Hansen makes a move, which appears to be his second pitch to the BoG on the 9th. This entire thing is just strange. Things that weigh on me and boggle my mind as I wait for the next chapter:

1) The lack of a finance committee vote - strikes me as a blessing in disguise for H/B/N because it may have been the case that Stern could not convince them to vote against the sale itself, therefore he relied on the relocation vote to weaken support by at least some investors in the group.

2) How in the world is Hansen going to sell the idea of accepting his purchase agreement when so much of it was precluded by intent to move the team to Seattle?

3) How does H/B/N now measure against the Sac group's bid that already includes local arena plans?

I am inclined to believe that failure by the Sac group to provide the requested 20% by Friday is a meaningless deadline in Stern's eyes but it very well may matter to the owners themselves.

If they come through w/ the 20% (or 50%), I think the Seattle group is in serious trouble. Just my two cents...

salamander

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3poxya24 said:
It's not 30 years yet. And let's not pretend it's the same situation. Sonics were born and raised in Seattle. Kings were vagabonds.

So if we had started as an expansion team it would be different? If Seattle was to get the Kings wouldn't you then be vagabonds, ripe for the picking by another "more deserving" city? Like I said before...this isn't about who is more deserving of a team; its about whether moving the team from Sacramento is in the league's best interest.

Subzero717

Reaction score
salamander":3bfqth25 said:
SonicHawk":3bfqth25 said:

So if we had started as an expansion team it would be different? If Seattle was to get the Kings wouldn't you then be vagabonds, ripe for the picking by another "more deserving" city? Like I said before...this isn't about who is more deserving of a team; its about whether moving the team from Sacramento is in the league's best interest.

What about the best interest of the citizens of Sacramento? Is spending their money to fund an arena the best use of those resources?

Shaz

Reaction score
When Sacramento citizens find out that the agreement that KJ has supposedly helped gel together pretty much screws the people on a tax issue, you'll see the support of the Kings dwindle away pretty F'n quickly

salamander

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":49vyuvgc said:
What about the best interest of the citizens of Sacramento? Is spending their money to fund an arena the best use of those resources?

It really comes down to how much tax revenue the team generates for the city...which is hard to quantify. Does it draw additional businesses, residents to Sacramento? Does it draw people into the city to watch games/spend money? Does it support restaurants and other businesses in the area?

Regardless, it's for Sacramento residents to decide not any one else.

topdog

Reaction score
For my first post I will say it should have never came to this. The magoofs told everyone in Sacramento that the Kings were not for sale then over night they sell them. They should have sold them to the Sacramento group that tried to buy them two years ago. The only reason they sold them to hanson was to get back at KJ since they don't like him.

Subzero717

Reaction score
salamander":3ibce8e3 said:
CALIHAWK1":3ibce8e3 said:

It really comes down to how much tax revenue the team generates for the city...which is hard to quantify. Does it draw additional businesses, residents to Sacramento? Does it draw people into the city to watch games/spend money? Does it support restaurants and other businesses in the area?

Regardless, it's for Sacramento residents to decide not any one else.

Have they been heard? Ask the folks around here about the baseball stadium. Their still pissed and the economy here is in much better shape then there.

How did the arena in Modesto work out? Is it fair to ask the citizens to fund an arena so a few bars and restraunts downtown turn a buck?

topdog

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":3suvrnnh said:
salamander":3suvrnnh said:
SonicHawk":3suvrnnh said:

What taxes the arena won't be payed with taxes.

drdiags

Reaction score
The magoofs told everyone in Sacramento that the Kings were not for sale then over night they sell them. They should have sold them to the Sacramento group that tried to buy them two years ago. The only reason they sold them to hanson was to get back at KJ since they don't like him.

Sounds like similar reason to Schultz selling to out of towners. If the Kings leave their fans will feel how I feel about Schultz. At least the Kings fans know that the city and NBA was on their side. All blame to me starts at the feet of the owner who sold out the team.

OP
OP
grizbob

grizbob

Reaction score
drdiags":36h6h496 said:
The magoofs told everyone in Sacramento that the Kings were not for sale then over night they sell them. They should have sold them to the Sacramento group that tried to buy them two years ago. The only reason they sold them to hanson was to get back at KJ since they don't like him.

Sounds like similar reason to Schultz selling to out of towners. If the Kings leave their fans will feel how I feel about Schultz. At least the Kings fans know that the city and NBA was on their side. All blame to me starts at the feet of the owner who sold out the team.

Yeah it's too bad all pro-sports team can't be owned by the cities like the Packers.

Subzero717

Reaction score
topdog":2mivdwnn said:
CALIHAWK1":2mivdwnn said:
salamander":2mivdwnn said:
SonicHawk said:

What taxes the arena won't be payed with taxes.

So its being privately funded? Where have I been? What cash cow is forking over the dough?

Subzero717

Reaction score
drdiags":pl8d8t3v said:

Is/was the sac group offering what hansen is now?

I don't know the details of the maloofs and city beef but why werent they able to get an arena before now?

topdog

Reaction score
The arena deal fell through because the magoofs couldn't afford there part of 70 million last year. They didn't want to pay adimefor it but wanted all profits from the arena.

topdog

Reaction score
The money for the arena is coming from parking that is in downtown sacramento. Also the area that the arena will be built some of it belongs to the city of Sacramento that they will give to who ever owns the arena which is worth 38 million.

Laloosh

Reaction score
topdog":s567i6iy said:
The money for the arena is coming from parking that is in downtown sacramento. Also the area that the arena will be built some of it belongs to the city of Sacramento that they will give to who ever owns the arena which is worth 38 million.

Must have been this part about the arena deal that made the relocation committee so comfortable with it's viability lol

Last month, the City of Sacramento voted 7-2 a non binding deal that set the ball in motion towards an Arena. The City would contribute $258 million towards a new arena to be located in Downtown Plaza. The last minute deal at Downtown Plaza was assembled in 72 hours before the council voted on it.

Private Investment 189 million. The city’s contribution is $258 million towards the $447.7 million arena .The city says it can raise $212 million by setting up a nonprofit corporation to borrow against future revenue generated by its downtown garages.

And then this...

Local Policy Group “Eye on Sacramento’s President Craig Powell says ”There are serious risks to the taxpayers of Sacramento if this deal moves forward “Funds would be diverted from other priorities and opportunities, and if the revenue from parking and the hotel tax comes up short the city would be forced to dip into the general fund.”

Source: http://sacratomatovillepost.com/2013/04 ... -the-edge/

Status
Not open for further replies.