NBA returning to Seattle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Shaz":1x8kuxie said:
Just now from Chris Hansen:

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/an-update

We would like to announce that we have reached an agreement with the Maloofs to raise the price we are offering to purchase the controlling interest in the Sacramento Kings NBA franchise by $25 million — from an enterprise value of $525 million to an enterprise value of $550 million.
While we already have a binding purchase agreement to purchase the controlling interest in the team, the Seattle Ownership Group has elected to voluntarily raise its purchase price as a sign of our commitment to bring basketball back to our City and our high degree of confidence in our Arena plan, our financing plan, the economic strength of the Seattle market, individual and corporate support for the team and, most importantly, the future of the NBA.
— Chris Hansen

I love the, "Just because we can" mentality. Hansen and company decided to go all in before their opponent even had time to call the previous bet.

JOz56

Reaction score
Blitzer, Hansen owns 7% of the team and has thrown in another $25 mil! It's ok! Celebrate!

Msfann

Reaction score
And just like that the Maloofs become 25 million dollars richer when all is said and done. They must be loving this.

This Hanson group sure doesn't mess around and is going for the jugular. 25 million isn't chump change.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
JOz56":s2f559pg said:
Blitzer, Hansen owns 7% of the team and has thrown in another $25 mil! It's ok! Celebrate!

:240039: :240039: :240039: I can't relax until this is all over and we officially have the Supes back. But no matter what happens, Chris Hansen/Steve Ballmer/Nordstroms are all amazing and I will be forever grateful for the time and effort they have provided for us Sonic fans.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
I think they are adding $25 million to the total value of the franchise so that would only be an increase of $16.25 million since they are buy 65% the value of the Kings. Not chump change by any stretch, but a strong enough push that they are willing to win should it turn into a bidding war.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Lol @ Dow Constantine using the playing to win to describe Hansen officially upping his offer $25 million. It also seems like Chris might have more in store if needed, we got this.

Blitzer can sleep easy tonight.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Throwdown":1l3e2mzg said:
Lol @ Dow Constantine using the playing to win to describe Hansen officially upping his offer $25 million. It also seems like Chris might have more in store if needed, we got this.

I haven't been able to sleep easy since this whole thing started.........

Throwdown

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1hc9nj1v said:
Throwdown":1hc9nj1v said:

I haven't been able to sleep easy since this whole thing started.........

Buy some NyQuil haha

slipwax

Reaction score
This has been one hell of a roller coaster. Yet I will sleep good tonight. God bless Chris Hansen and God bless the Seattle Seahawks. Peace

pinksheets

Reaction score
I told you guys, trust Chris. This guy has gotten it done every time we thought things were getting rough. He'll do it again.

pinksheets

Reaction score
No money from Sac ownership.
No money to be spent by Sac residents. (garbage retail spending per capita ranking)
No money to be made in Sacramento.
No money related calculations that add up in their arena plan.

No money in Sacramento, period.

The NBA needs to grow up and realize where the money is made in sports. It's in strong economies, with markets full of people with decent incomes (not Sac), something close to respectable unemployment rates (not Sac), local governments with respectable credit ratings (not Sac), and where private investors are willing to heavily invest due to the prospects of just making good money without a need for exceedingly unpopular public subsidies (not Sac).

There is just no money in Sacramento. None of the other 3 major professional sports would even lightly consider going into Sacramento. The NBA needs to realize that the idea of one horse small market teams is sweet, but not financially prudent. Move on. If you want to send expansion to Sacramento for sentimental reasons, I guess that's your decision to make, but the smart business move is to extricate yourselves from a declining market with little hope for a resurgence and with literally zero chance of ever being a major market that commands large television revenues for good. Get with the program. Sacramento is an offshoot market that is nice as a place to broadcast bay area sports on TV and nothing more. There isn't money there, besides the slight bits of television revenue you get by hitting a decent number of TV households albeit with very little spending power.

If yo ass is a busta, 206 will regulate.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Some very interesting comments in this morning's Times ...

With the issue appearing to grow more complicated by the minute, several league sources also said that the NBA could consider expansion more seriously at its meetings next week in New York. Stern has repeatedly said expansion is not on the table right now, reiterating that statement in New York last week.

But with each group willing to pay a record price for a team and possessing arena plans that have received at least tentative government approval, sources say the NBA might consider expansion as a way out.
Source:
http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2020769766_sacramento13.html

Honestly, that would be the best news of all. As excited as I am about the return of the NBA to Seattle ... I don't want to take someone else's team. Allowing expansion in this case would be very good news indeed.

BillHawks

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1y1azi9w said:
Some very interesting comments in this morning's Times ...

With the issue appearing to grow more complicated by the minute, several league sources also said that the NBA could consider expansion more seriously at its meetings next week in New York. Stern has repeatedly said expansion is not on the table right now, reiterating that statement in New York last week.

But with each group willing to pay a record price for a team and possessing arena plans that have received at least tentative government approval, sources say the NBA might consider expansion as a way out.
Source:
http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2020769766_sacramento13.html

Honestly, that would be the best news of all. As excited as I am about the return of the NBA to Seattle ... I don't want to take someone else's team. Allowing expansion in this case would be very good news indeed.

It doesn't make much sense to me to give Seattle an expansion team. If all that's been reported is to be believed, we have a more solid financing plan, an arena that will be completed quicker than Sacramento, and a possible television deal. I think what would happen is Seattle gets the Kings and Sacramento gets a couple years to actually get their stuff sorted out.

Even with all the positive news lately I'm still very anxious about this whole thing. I think I'm going to have to call in sick on the 18th and 19th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts