List of Problems culminating from this season.

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
First of all. I realize this board is going to go into 3-mile Island Mode after today. Last week was understandable. The Bengals have been on an absolute tear and we went into their place. Just couldn't hold onto a lead.

This week is where the bubbles of poop rise to the surface of what our franchise is.

I'll be bottling up the problems this team has from my point of view as objectively and as much as I can identify them. For everything chronic (defensive scheme changes) to acute ones (injuries).

1. Kris Richard

I bit my tongue for 6 weeks and simply observed how our defense has responded and been guided under our new DC. He's new. He's young. I get it. And he probably has a ton to learn. But he is no Dan Quinn. Richard is more blitz oriented and not very confident in his play calling when zone is involved. The 4th quarter has shown this. Now granted, the defense is gassed almost every game by this point (I'll expand on this a little bit later), but the plays he calls in the fourth quarter are killing this team. Not understanding his players strengths and weaknesses is what I would attribute this to by far and away. We don't know what goes on behind closed doors in the franchise (at least I don't), but there are some major issues I see on how the personnel is utilized. Which segues me to...

2. Carey Williams

I've been on the fence about this guy. Still kind of am but the seesaw has me leaning in this direction. But as far as I know, Pete still has his DC enforcing a press zone coverage system, thus the need for lengthy/tall corners. Williams, through the first 6 games this season, has struggled tremendously with this philosophy. I am by no means saying he is the sole problem with the defensive personnel, but he is the weakest link as of right now. And it's a pretty sizable one. He whiffs on jamming at the line and his recovery from a WR blowing past him is mediocre at best. Tharold Simon was doing a better job before he got injured. Granted, Simon incurred his fair share of penalties but at least he made the WR's earn it. Carey is not a CB who has been taught to function in this system. He is a professional athlete, and his technique has definitely improved (hip and footwise at the onset of a play) but he doesn't utilize it the way this team needs. I'll try to watch todays game again (with a brown bag in proximity) and see how much he was victimized in todays (Carolina) game, but it was a lot.

3. Run Defense

I remember watching the Chicago game and seeing Forte gashing us in the first three quarters before we contained him. He didn't have eye popping numbers, by any means, but what was eye popping was they the Bears had a much less than serviceable QB (Clausen) and we were loading the box and trying to pinch the gaps when we knew they were going to run and they were able to spring Forte loose on us more than enough. Today was no exception, especially in the second half. Stewart started going off on us through holes which Pamela Anderson could rival going spread eagle. They were large. Granted, for today, Wagz was out and we all know how much of a difference he makes in this defense, but he is tremendous at pursuing the ball carrier and angling him off to prevent additional yardage. The D-Line is struggling to stop the run, plain and simple. I think Rubin is a solid run stopper, in all honesty, but the play calls to shoot certain gaps and pinch the line to bottle up inside runs at times are a huge factor in what's going on with this defense. No DC holds a crystal ball (except for the Pats, in which case is the frequency to the opposing teams comm system), so it's more instincts and experience here. One of which could be arguably remedied, but experience implies time needed. We'll see how that goes. Quinn utilized a veteran Kevin Williams last year when Mebane went down with absolute wizardry. Neither of those men are here this year, and it shows.

4. Conditioning

This is pretty self explanatory (remember, this list is opinionated, obviously), but there is something going on with the stamina and durability of this team this year. The players are pre-dominantly in the age group that indicates they are in their prime. And from one year to the next, having such a large drop off, there is seriously something going on here. This team held together from these trials the last two years beautifully (and occasionally, tragically) the previous two seasons. Having a huge part of the core still intact and relatively healthy indicates something, but I'm simply making an educated guess. It explains the lack of run defense compared to previous years as well. Who knows, maybe Richard is quite simply not the motivator and caretaker as much as Quinn was.

5. Injuries

This is a pretty general and common subject, I understand. But the fact we are without Marcus Burley, Tharold Simon, and Jeremy Lane in the secondary is going to create a problem. It makes it exponentially worse when leaning on someone like Carey Williams even more due to the lack of depth. It is my understanding all three of these players will return soon and that is seriously some good news. In my opinion, this has a ton to do with what is going on with us in the 4th quarter. If conditioning is a problem, then having no depth and making sure players are out there for longer stretches make it (obviously) worse. Burley, when he played earlier this season, showed some great promise in his progression. He was surprising in his closing speed and tackling ability. Simon has shown flashes at times, and by that I mean he has flashed his ceiling and his floor. The personnel is strained in the secondary. Quite simply, for a little while until these guys get back. Lane and Burley's absences are hurting us due to their ability to do coverage on slot personnel. People, namely TE's, have been murdering us down the middle this season.

6. Offensive Philosophy

I put this as generally specific as I can, but this years offensive philosophy is not working. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has been seriously concerned with how Bevell calls things at times. I'm not in the "Crucify Bevell" bandwagon right now, but the things he does kinda makes you wanna take out loans to make sure you're covered from how many computer and TV screens that you'll break in fleeting moments of games. We were a creative "Run First and supplement it with large passing plays" team. We are not that this year. We are noticeably shifting the focus of the offense away from Lynch (and running in general) to Wilson. It's a huge indicator this is the case when we traded for Jimmy Graham as well. We may be transitioning and these are growing pains, but it seems as through we've lost our smash-mouth offensive identity. That aspect of our team that terrified other teams in the NFL, the fact that they knew what we were going to do and there was nothing anybody else could do to stop it. We need to get that back. Bevell during this game (Carolina) was not a problem. I honestly thought he had a solid game plan and play calls throughout the game. He does have a tendency to call plays that strains the O-line on long developing routes for the receivers and can lead to sacks for Wilson or him running for his life. But Bevell overall has not been terrible this season, It's time to start holding players accountable. Which brings me to...

7. Offensive Line

This is stating the obvious. I've kept this list and explanations fairly neutral so far, but dear God, this unit is atrocious. Pass protection is non existent at times. I don't know if this has to do with coaching, natural ability, or both. My guess is both. During the draft, we have neglected to address the line for the most part when everybody knows that is the unit that needs the most work. We have addressed it indirectly, and by that I mean we draft D-lineman and convert them into O-line projects. That's one way to band-aid the situation but, to me, that's all it is. Is a band-aid. Now, I will say this, throughout the league, there is a large shortage of quality O-lineman, but that excuse only goes so far. We had Even Mathis in our lap (office, to be more precise) and we let him walk away due to the financial contract he and his agent we demanding. Now, that may seem like a very convenient thing for a .Net poster thing to type, but this man would be in Justin Britt's spot. Think about that for a second. Our LG's actually engaging in blocks instead of whiffing on them. Instead of our RB getting hit in the backfield or stopped after a 1-2 yard gain, could actually keep going for a 4-5 yard gain. This FO has a plan and priorities, and I realize when you follow a priority list, it comes at the expense of other aspects, but this is showing to spill in other areas of the team, such as the progression of Russell Wilson himself.

For the most part, that's my .02

This is simply my opinion and observation, but this year is showing to go down under a bit and damn is it not a good feeling.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
That being said, I love my 'Hawks and sticking with this group of badassery still.

Go 'Hawks!

minormillikin

Reaction score
The Defense doesn't seem to know what to do with tight ends the last couple games.

..One more thing on the list of the many things wrong, where just fixing one could be the difference between wins and losses.

quneur

Reaction score
What I see is a lot of poor communication on part of the defense. When Carolina went no huddle, I saw Seattle jumping around and players yelling directions to each other; mass confusion. There doesn't seem to be one defensive leader but eleven.

I don't see Kris Richards as a blitz guy just the opposite. I only recall seeing two blitzes at the end of the game when Carolina was in Seattle's red zone. Seemingly desperate blitzes. Both failed to get to Newton. The last blitz resulted in a Carolina score. I don't know whether it was the communication broke down or it was Sherman. If your team rushes six, normally the back field play man to man coverage. Sherman was playing zone on that last blitz. It could have been designed that way but no worthy DC would send a blitz and play zone in the back field - too much space not covered.

A blitz on first down occasionally would be nice. If they get the sack, it brings up second and long and makes the opponent more likely to throw on second.

Seattle has a problem with stopping the run for certain players. Those that run low to the ground give Seattle fits. They're running it straight up the middle into the teeth of the defense and Seattle can't stop them. Perhaps they need another Red Bryant run stopper. Someone who don't penetrate but will take up gaps up the middle and let our fast linebackers run them down on the edge (although our edge is almost as porous as Carolina ran for first down several times.)

On offense, there are glaring problems the most telling is play calling. Excessive to a fault. Because one run succeeds doesn't mean the next will. The opposing DC can and will adjust. Rawls in the Cincinnati game played great for 2.5 quarters but didn't run well in the last because the DC adjusted and keyed on him. Perhaps thats why we only seen Rawls once this game; lack of fourth quarter production in last game. And...

Lack of the short passing game. It would help as defenses would have to respect it and not key on Wilson on every pass play. Newton did it well as he got the ball out fast before the blitz could get to him.

Rob12

Reaction score
I completely disagree on the assertion that you (and many others) make against Kris Richard.

He was the guy that Pete wanted. I have to trust that it was the right choice.

Why do people think that he has tried to reinvent the wheel? He hasn't. He has a group of defensive players that have played and dominated in this system for more than three years now. A handful of these guys were voted on by their peers as some of the top 100 players in the league. The players know what is expected of them; they know what it takes to be successful. Earl said today following the loss that there is no communication in the secondary right now. Now, sometimes Earl can overstate things, but if that's true, that's on the players. And further, that lends the thought that there is something seriously wrong with the secondary right now, and it's not an issue of talent. I am not a conspiracy guy in the least, but I think Kam's choice to miss training camp and the first two games of the season has had a lasting negative effect on this group. I was at the game today. They don't seem as close. At all. Body language tells a lot, and they're not the same. You got Michael Bennett interrupting a post game Kam interview, and telling Paul Allen to pay the man. Kam smiles ear to ear, obviously in agreement. This defense isn't ONE like it used to be. It's turned itself into a collection of individuals by the actions of a few. That's what I see when I see Earl's face post game, and hear his words. He knows it, and it's eating him alive.

PC/JS have kept this defense mostly intact. The direction of the defense has not changed. It's the players who are not executing and laying it on the line. Not Richard.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Rob12":9v2hajzf said:
I completely disagree on the assertion that you (and many others) make against Kris Richard.

Why do people think that he has tried to reinvent the wheel? He hasn't. He has a group of defensive players that have played and dominated in this system for more than three years now. A handful of these guys were voted on by their peers as some of the top 100 players in the league. The players know what is expected of them; they know what it takes to be successful. Earl said today following the loss that there is no communication in the secondary right now. Now, sometimes Earl can overstate things, but if that's true, that's on the players. And further, that lends the thought that there is something seriously wrong with the secondary right now, and it's not an issue of talent. I am not a conspiracy guy in the least, but I think Kam's choice to miss training camp and the first two games of the season has had a lasting negative effect on this group. I was at the game today. They don't seem as close. At all. Body language tells a lot, and they're not the same. You got Michael Bennett interrupting a post game Kam interview, and telling Paul Allen to pay the man. Kam smiles ear to ear, obviously in agreement. This defense isn't ONE like it used to be. It's turned itself into a collection of individuals by the actions of a few. That's what I see when I see Earl's face post game, and hear his words. He knows it, and it's eating him alive.

PC/JS have kept this defense mostly intact. The direction of the defense has not changed. It's the players who are not executing and laying it on the line. Not Richard.
How do we get back to that point Rob? "We're all we got, we're all we need!" That was the identity of this team. Now we're seeing Earl and Sherm looking in disbelief at one another after the Greg Olsen catch, seemingly to indicate each believed the other was responsible for the blown assignment. Then Sherm and Kam in what looked like an acrimonious conversation on the sidelines. Then a little later the camera comes back to those two and they each have a humbling look on their faces. What in the world is going on?

Rob12

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":229l2xah said:
Rob12":229l2xah said:

How do we get back to that point Rob? "We're all we got, we're all we need!" That was the identity of this team. Now we're seeing Earl and Sherm looking in disbelief at one another after the Greg Olsen catch, seemingly to indicate each believed the other was responsible for the blown assignment. Then Sherm and Kam in what looked like an acrimonious conversation on the sidelines. Then a little later the camera comes back to those two and they each have a humbling look on their faces. What in the world is going on?

I have an idea, but most here wouldn't like it. It involves one of my favorite players. But I personally believe - call it a gut feeling - that there's still quite a bit of residual damage over some choices that were made.

I feel bad for Earl. It's like he's watching something that he loves dying, and he can't do anything about it.

OP
OP
Nothinbutm

Nothinbutm

Reaction score
That obviously dictates the question, "What is your gut feeling?"

When Quinn left, it seems as though the players lost a little faith in what was left over. And simply because Richard was a miracle worker for DB's by no means guarantees he was going to be a great DC. Time sorts everything out and we're in territory we haven't been in for a little while.

Sherman, primarily, has gotten beaten his fair share already this season. Now, we can chalk that up as miscommunication with the rest of the secondary or maybe the guy has lost that chip on his shoulder.