B list

xray

Reaction score
Maybe we should prepare ourselves for the possible reality that the best available coaches don't want to come to Seattle . We shouldn't assume that Seattle is on every coaches bucket list as their dream job . The Hawks might struggle to lure any proven high quality HC candidate to Seattle . The Hawks organization and fans should prepare themselves for a HC that isn't on the A list of candidates . We might have to settle for the B list prospects for HC . imo

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Harbaugh is unrealistic but there are only 32 of these jobs out there and having control is something every coach wants. I don't think they need to get into a B list situation but there are probably better situations for top candidates than here.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I definitely don’t think we’re the top spot but there is enough to work with and John appears to be super respected in league circles as one of the best. I think they are able to get a good candidate.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Remember, Pete will still be a part of this front office (so far). That may impact any candidates decision to coach this team.

Will they see it as working under the watchful eye of Pete Carroll?

seabowl

Reaction score
Remember, Pete will still be a part of this front office (so far). That may impact any candidates decision to coach this team.

Even if he stays which I think is unrealistic, Pete will have VERY little say.

Jac

Reaction score

Characterizing his role as "advisor" is equal parts respect and being dismissed. There is no reason to believe he's in any kind of decision-making or oversight role.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Even if he stays which I think is unrealistic, Pete will have VERY little say.
That's just it. You don't know how much input he'll have. Thinking you do is not realistic. His mere presence might be the effective factor.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
Characterizing his role as "advisor" is equal parts respect and being dismissed. There is no reason to believe he's in any kind of decision-making or oversight role.
Looking at it from the outside, that is what it very well may be. But the fact remains he will be there and it will just not be known exactly how deep. Out of the same "respect" they may never say.

I've always trusted
Believe non of what you hear and half of what you see.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
C'mon man x-ray, it's time for some positivity around here.

Those who wanted Pete gone should be quietly happy, however unlikely that might be. I expect them to be complaining soon about the new staff I sure hope this isn't the beginning of that exercise.

I am one who believes JS will do a fine job getting a new HC, conventional or unconventual. Some here may not agree b/c they always are glass half empty thinkers. In the end we shall see but I refuse to start this process believing in failure. Change was wanted and needed and we have change, things will be fine, but we have lost someone special, and that is both good and bad.

We are not even a week into the situation with preferred coaching candidates still working on their playoff aspirations, some patience is needed.

chris98251

Reaction score
We are a top 5 landing spot, non meddlesome owner, top facilities, great fan support, a GM that knows his stuff. Our next coach will not have player control granted which some Head Coach candidates want, but we have a culture of working together not dictatorship. So Head Coach Candidates we look at will be those that will not balk at not having complete control.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
We are a top 5 landing spot, non meddlesome owner, top facilities, great fan support, a GM that knows his stuff. Our next coach will not have player control granted which some Head Coach candidates want, but we have a culture of working together not dictatorship. So Head Coach Candidates we look at will be those that will not balk at not having complete control.

Are we though? Team has a ton of holes to fix, no QBOTF to speak of, cap isn't favorable, etc,,,. It's going to be a daunting task for whoever takes over and it's going to take time.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
What exactly is an A list and what is the B list?

I compare what previous other teams have done in terms of who they hired and I thought to myself, are they a good hire?

What comes to mind for me is whether or not I want a “new, new” head coach or a head coach that has been a head coach before elsewhere?

I think this is the main thing I’m juggling with.

Not sure what direction Jody Allen wants to go with, so, what she ultimately chooses, I think I will be okay with because it’s a new day and new era NFL!

The Jody Allen era has truly begun now!

Wheetie

Reaction score
"So Head Coach Candidates we look at will be those that will not balk at not having complete control."

And that's why Schneider should go young and up and coming, not an established guy with baggage.

chris98251

Reaction score
Are we though? Team has a ton of holes to fix, no QBOTF to speak of, cap isn't favorable, etc,,,. It's going to be a daunting task for whoever takes over and it's going to take time.
Cap space is a false ceiling, we will be fine, manipulating the cap is one of Johns Strengths also, we are going to eat some money but there will be a overhaul to fit what the New Coach wants to do as well, we have a ton of youth and players stashed on IR and PS, not as dismal as appears. The talent is all over, guys like Adams will not be here, he can play when his head is right and body is sound, but how often has those two things synched up here. Our young O line needs to be healthy and if we have a chronic injury issue do a injury settlement and replace them. We have two QB's, our offense is going to change, signing one or both again is not a bad thing and or drafting a developmental guy that all he does is win. Purdy is an example once again of someone that does not meet measurables but succeeds with a great head on his shoulders and technique and heart.

Being smart with the draft and not looking to make a big splash name guy is my preference, our RB's and TE'S Wr's are very good and deep, QB can just manage and play smart and we are fine, offense was not our issue. We need to load the defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
"So Head Coach Candidates we look at will be those that will not balk at not having complete control."

And that's why Schneider should go young and up and coming, not an established guy with baggage.
This is his first chance at control, you don't hope you get the right young unproven guy. There are a few proven, Quinn, Vrabel, Pierce, Harbaugh, we don't have issues paying Coaches either.

Jville

Reaction score

Seattle is located some distance from the bulk of the population. So I would think a coaching staff that is oriented toward developing young talent is still at the top of the list of desirable traits for the Seahawks.

Someone that isn't shy about working referees is also very desirable. I don't think I could tolerate returning to the pre-Holmgren era when officials steered victories away from Seattle 4 or 5 games a year.

I also believe that the decision by consciences trait will remain a Allen mandate for how the Seahawks operate. So John Schneider needs find a head coach that he can work in concert with extending the success that he enjoyed with Pete Carroll.

It's a very selective process for a very special football culture that Schneider must carefully mold.

Latest posts