B list

warden

Reaction score
Damn rights we are going to get a B list coach. The team is going up for sale in the next couple of years. The purse is closed. It will be all about dropping costs. No more big contracts. Every decision will be fiscal and have nothing to do with improving the product on the field

Jville

Reaction score
It's a translation of Pete's "new role" that he is not particularly interested in for good reason.

Lighten up.

Pete was fired.

The quote: "His new job is to be Jody's poolboy, or hangout in a shoe box by JS' desk. Until he gets another coaching offer. He was fired."

Surely you can learn to express an opinion free of hatred and vitriol characterization.

Torc

Reaction score
Damn rights we are going to get a B list coach. The team is going up for sale in the next couple of years. The purse is closed. It will be all about dropping costs. No more big contracts. Every decision will be fiscal and have nothing to do with improving the product on the field
Where is your evidence? We're in salary cap trouble - that's not closing the purse. Conventional wisdom says that if Jody were planning on selling soon, she would have kept the status quo so that new ownership can hire "their guy". There is no deadline in Paul's will to sell the team. Most people think Jody is years away from selling.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
warden my old friend, I heartily disagree with you view as stated above. The assumption the purse is closed doesn't correspond with recent reality in terms of spending. The reality of a form of cap handcuffs at present sure seems to be a negative situation faced by the team. There there will need to be some big contracts and no productive contracts axed, or traded away. JS has been rather adept at making some hard decisions historically.

If in fact it turns out to be DQ who is the new HC he's hardly a B list coach, nor would be Vrabel, to assume as much continues this negative viewpoint of the direction of the team and assume the Vulcan group isn't looking to attract excellence. At present the team has defensive talent here that fits DQ's style as defensive coach, there are holes that could be filed in the draft and the team is fairly positioned to do as much.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
There are dozens of people on this forum who would be far bettewr head coaches than Pete and he managed a winning record nearly every season. Surely one of them is willing to take the job on and lead us to successive super bowls.

warden

Reaction score
Where is your evidence? We're in salary cap trouble - that's not closing the purse. Conventional wisdom says that if Jody were planning on selling soon, she would have kept the status quo so that new ownership can hire "their guy". There is no deadline in Paul's will to sell the team. Most people think Jody is years away from selling.
The stadium was tax payer built. The agreement with the State and the Seahawks is coming to an end. Team will get sold then

Torc

Reaction score
The stadium lease goes through 2028. I don't see jody tanking for 4 years, even assuming the options for the next 20 years aren't exercised. I suspect they will be. I guess I see your point - somewhere near the deadline for extending the lease for 20 more years might be a reason to sell the team. But knowing Paul's commitment to keeping the team in Seattle, I would strongly suspect that any sale would be AFTER the lease was extended so that the new owner would be locked in to the area.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
- ownership that has high expectations and is engaged and willing to spend money, but isn't hands-on or looking over your shoulder constantly. No one and done years with these owners (unless you fail as spectacularly as Jim Mora did)
- a GM that is highly respected and used to working as a team with a coach. (Pete may have had final say but he doesn't strike me as a pound his fist "do it my way" kind of guy.)
- a solid roster to build from, some great young players especially at receiver and DB
- a QB that is at the very least serviceable enough that if you draft your QBotF you can have the vet hold down the fort and you won't go 2-15 or something crazy like that. That gives the rookie some time to learn without taking a beating. That veteran isn't chewing up 15% of your cap either.
- you'll get to choose your own staff (that's not the case for some head coaches)
- a beautiful city to live in, one of the best facilities in the league
- no state income tax
- fans who are ready to be rabid if you're competitive - one of the best home field advantages in the league
- the media is pretty darn kind unlike a lot of the east coast teams.

- the bad side is you're in a really rough division. But if you don't see that as a challenge and opportunity to hone your team, maybe you shouldn't be a head coach in the NFL

Unless you really want flash and glamour and the east coast lifestyle, and looking at the 8 openings (now down to 7 since NE has hired their HC), the Seahawks are absolutely near the top of the list. Schneider will get the guy he wants.
Sounds like an A list team to me.