B list

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Why do some in here seem to ' KNOW ' that PC will have no input on the next HC , or anything else for that matter ? Did you get a special fan memo from the front office ?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Why do some in here seem to ' KNOW ' that PC will have no input on the next HC , or anything else for that matter ? Did you get a special fan memo from the front office ?
No but Pete Carroll said that the new HC was John Schneider's deal and he would support him.

Fade

Reaction score
Remember, Pete will still be a part of this front office (so far). That may impact any candidates decision to coach this team.

Will they see it as working under the watchful eye of Pete Carroll?
Pete said in his final press conference he will not be part of the hiring process.

His new job is to be Jody's poolboy, or hangout in a shoe box by JS' desk. Until he gets another coaching offer. He was fired.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete said in his final press conference he will not be part of the hiring process.

His new job is to be Jody's poolboy, or hangout in a shoe box by JS' desk. Until he gets another coaching offer. He was fired.
HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING, in todays culture nobody gets fired, they leave to pursue new opportunities, get promoted to the front office to utilize their experience,.

But I agree, in pre PC culture he was fired as Head Coach and given a soft landing as Advisor to do two things, for the Seahawks and Jody not to appear heartless and unappreciative in the media and to the fans, and two give Pete a place to still do football things in a advisor role if he chose too much like Walsh did in S.F.

Jville

Reaction score

Words of Jealousy.

keasley45

Reaction score
Maybe we should prepare ourselves for the possible reality that the best available coaches don't want to come to Seattle . We shouldn't assume that Seattle is on every coaches bucket list as their dream job . The Hawks might struggle to lure any proven high quality HC candidate to Seattle . The Hawks organization and fans should prepare themselves for a HC that isn't on the A list of candidates . We might have to settle for the B list prospects for HC . imo

I dont think folks see Seattle as B list team. Everything about the franchise is top class.

As to the talent of the team. Pete was let go because there is more talent here than the record would indicate.

Outside of a coach wanting absolute authority, I think we are the top gig out there, easily. The Chargers may be a 1B to our 1A, but that's only because of Herbert's youth and the potential of the offense. (It's also Cali vs the PNW) . But otherwise, I think we would be an easy choice for most anyone looking to build a contender now.

getnasty

Reaction score
Jim Schwartz quickly leaving the C list heading to the D.

renofox

Reaction score
HOW COULD YOU SAY SUCH A THING, in todays culture nobody gets fired, they leave to pursue new opportunities, get promoted to the front office to utilize their experience,.

But I agree, in pre PC culture he was fired as Head Coach and given a soft landing as Advisor to do two things, for the Seahawks and Jody not to appear heartless and unappreciative in the media and to the fans, and two give Pete a place to still do football things in a advisor role if he chose too much like Walsh did in S.F.
Slightly different take. He was getting ~$15M whether he was fired or retained.

If you fire him you have to give him the $ and he is free to go on his merry way and do whatever he wants.

If you retain him with a do-nothing job title, he can't take another football job without your permission. At minimum you say "OK, but no $ for you" and save yourself $15M. At maximum you say "I need 10 1st round picks to let you go coach elsewhere" and settle for a 2nd and a 3rd.

Torc

Reaction score
- ownership that has high expectations and is engaged and willing to spend money, but isn't hands-on or looking over your shoulder constantly. No one and done years with these owners (unless you fail as spectacularly as Jim Mora did)
- a GM that is highly respected and used to working as a team with a coach. (Pete may have had final say but he doesn't strike me as a pound his fist "do it my way" kind of guy.)
- a solid roster to build from, some great young players especially at receiver and DB
- a QB that is at the very least serviceable enough that if you draft your QBotF you can have the vet hold down the fort and you won't go 2-15 or something crazy like that. That gives the rookie some time to learn without taking a beating. That veteran isn't chewing up 15% of your cap either.
- you'll get to choose your own staff (that's not the case for some head coaches)
- a beautiful city to live in, one of the best facilities in the league
- no state income tax
- fans who are ready to be rabid if you're competitive - one of the best home field advantages in the league
- the media is pretty darn kind unlike a lot of the east coast teams.

- the bad side is you're in a really rough division. But if you don't see that as a challenge and opportunity to hone your team, maybe you shouldn't be a head coach in the NFL

Unless you really want flash and glamour and the east coast lifestyle, and looking at the 8 openings (now down to 7 since NE has hired their HC), the Seahawks are absolutely near the top of the list. Schneider will get the guy he wants.

seabowl

Reaction score
Even if he stays which I think is unrealistic, Pete will have VERY little say.
Putting down ownership by saying that people that don’t know about football made the decision on him, will indeed put the nail in the coffin as far as him having any real input. I would say there’s 95% chance he is not with the team in any capacity by draft time.

renofox

Reaction score
Putting down ownership by saying that people that don’t know about football made the decision on him, will indeed put the nail in the coffin as far as him having any real input. I would say there’s 95% chance he is not with the team in any capacity by draft time.
PC just does not have great communication skills, as he admitted himself when he implied he tried but could not make Jody et al. understand the points he was trying to make.

It seemed to me he was trying to blame himself for his lacking skills, but it came off as him blaming them for being ignorant.

Or maybe his subconscious was slipping out?

Ozzy

Reaction score
C'mon man x-ray, it's time for some positivity around here.

Those who wanted Pete gone should be quietly happy, however unlikely that might be. I expect them to be complaining soon about the new staff I sure hope this isn't the beginning of that exercise.

I am one who believes JS will do a fine job getting a new HC, conventional or unconventual. Some here may not agree b/c they always are glass half empty thinkers. In the end we shall see but I refuse to start this process believing in failure. Change was wanted and needed and we have change, things will be fine, but we have lost someone special, and that is both good and bad.

We are not even a week into the situation with preferred coaching candidates still working on their playoff aspirations, some patience is needed.

Why would those who wanted a change default to automatically complaining about the next staff? I’m not a fan of any argument that paints the other side as reasonable or bad fans just because they disagree with someone take. And to be fair I said something super similar recently so I’m guilty of this too.

I agree with your point about John though. I think he has a lot riding on this and will do a great job hiring his guy. I forgot who said it but someone connected to the league said the rest of the league views him as an elite GM and all these guys know each other pretty well. Anyway glass half full for me and I’m excited about it!

Cyrus12

Reaction score

His takes are bs...Pete musta not signed his foam helmet or something...

SeaWolv

Reaction score

Jville

Reaction score

Those are the posted words. Not the words of the reporter. Not the words of the interview subject. Those are hateful spiteful words of jealously.

Fade

Reaction score
Those are the posted words. Not the words of the reporter. Not the words of the interview subject. Those are hateful spiteful words of jealously.
It's a translation of Pete's "new role" that he is not particularly interested in for good reason.

Lighten up.

Pete was fired.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If it makes you happy to think that way Fade feel free. Pete is still being paid $10 million +/yr. by Jody to be a football advisor to the team, so he's hardly been fired. There is still no need to dance on his grave as the former HC and gloat about the change in his status. We all know your manifold well and oft repeated negative views about Carroll. We all accept there was need for changes to be made but the true question is whether those changes will translate to improvement.

Reality if you wish it to be your way if it makes you happier. Nothing anyone says will change your viewpoint regardless of reality, so relish your reality. The truth however is that Pete had his views how to fix the team, ownership disagree with them, and both sides mutually agreed he'd no longer be the HC as a result. Is that being fired when they asked him to stay on for at least the end of his contract as a football advisor?

Jody's pool boy? Right, whatever? Such rubbish.