Latest from Michael Bennett - Will test Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony!

Reaction score
There are only a few select players on this team that we cannot loose, Kam, ET, Sherman, RW. AS long as we keep those 4 and build around them like we have been we will be fine. I love Bennett, he was great for us, but he was on a 1 year deal, and hungry. We will find another one if need be.

jblaze

Reaction score
Dtowers":3sbr3nou said:
Well Hawks had a chance to make sure he never even put his toe in the water. So it changes some things. Adds 31 other teams to the discussion. That wasn't always destined to be the case. Hawks could have just locked him up or franchised him.

The hawks don't franchise players unless they absolutely would have to. It's a respect thing, players hate it and respect that the Hawks don't do that and try to sign guys to longer term contracts or let them go somewhere else to do that. They treat players well and players don't forget that and in turn are willing to come here when perhaps otherwise they wouldn't or maybe take a hometown discount in the case of Tate.

Why would you make an offer to him without knowing what the market is? They could have given him 10m, maybe he signed it but if he went to market, maybe he would only have commanded 8.5 and thus you overspent. JS/PC have proven they're smart with FA and see what the market sets and then they swoop in, they don't overpay.

I also believe he would go to market regardless, this is his last chance at a big pay day and he wants to make sure he's maximizing his potential value and you wouldn't know that unless you see what other teams are willing to do.

Usually with situations such as this where the player likes where he is but wants to get paid top dollar, there will be a gentlemen's agreement that says, "Here's our offer, go to market and see what others will offer but give us the right to match". If another team overpays, they walk, if not, they stay where they're at.

This doesn't change anything, Bennett was always going to test FA. Franchising him would be stupid, we'd get him for next year and then he'd bolt because we pissed him off when we prevented him from getting a long term deal after he proved it on a one year prove it contract.

That's the whole point of a one year prove it contract, to get paid the next year, not prove it again on another one year franchise tag. It's an agreement between the front office and the player and that would be downright scandalous to go back on that after asking a player to prove it, he did and now we're giving him one year again. It's all about long term contracts and guaranteed dollars to these guys.

davidonmi

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":2hcwofyz said:
If he gets around 11 mil somewhere else, it's not worth matching. Plus, I believe it would get us a 3rd rounder in return. Could be wrong though.
if he gets more than 9.5 it isn't worth matching, just my opinion

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
This news today isn't news; people reacting like it is are wrong.

I'm mildly optimistic that he'll re-sign with us, but if he doesn't and goes and gets a sick payday somewhere else then good for him. We'll know soon enough now.

jblaze

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3mkddejn said:
If he gets around 11 mil somewhere else, it's not worth matching. Plus, I believe it would get us a 3rd rounder in return. Could be wrong though.

We do not get a compensatory pick.

drdiags

Reaction score
Sounds like the offer was very competitive, just MB doing his due diligence since he and his agents probably think there is more out there with the increase cap

Kevin Shockey ?@KevinShockey 44m
"It's a really competitive offer from the top of the Defensive End market." -@Rapsheet on what he knows of the Seahawks offer to Bennet

seahawks08

Reaction score
I think the team has a price for each of the players and the importance they value based on the need and skill set. MB has the right to test free agency and good for him. We want to make sure the right personnel is developed enough or find another fit in a 1 year prove it deal if the player who we had in mind is not completely developed. Pete will bring in guys to compete and make everyone better, so yes we may have some holes, but we will still compete in every level and improve with good coaching and the desire to Win FOREVER.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Might be a blessing in disguise if he gets a "Godfather" offer from another team. It'd be well-deserved. For this team, however, the numbers being thrown about are making me uncomfortable.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Can't blame the guy for wanting to hit the market fresh off a Super Bowl win with his stock never being higher.

seadoc30

Reaction score
We have a system in place now.. an average player can look good and a good player can look like a super star. We don't need Bennett unless he wants to sign for cheap. We got young talent and they will do just fine.

However I'm still SMH over Red Bryant being released. He was a leader and the system was built around him. I think we just gotta trust Pete/JS.

chris98251

Reaction score
Jeez, he earned the right to believe he is worth a certain amount, he is not in the negotiations his agent is, once a number has been set the agent can do a couple things, present it or turn it down. We don't know how that played out and how the Seahawks left a door open and let him run with his thoughts on value. As long as the bridge isn't burned things can still happen. Also for those of little faith, Pete and John always seem to have a plan B, C, D, and then go and uncover a E and F someplace. If I had time I would start looking at who on losing or dysfunctional teams is a FA at NT, DT and DE. Then based on skill set not position see if they have the set to fill our needs and be on a team that has a legit shot at returning to the Super Bowl. That is our tool of leverage for high talent hungry players willing to take less to have it all.

Giblien

Reaction score
I think this is a smart move. Anytime a front office or GM falls in love with a player, they can fall prey to over-valuing someone. I think holmgren and ruskell had trouble with that mindset. Let him test the market and see how things go. This team is bigger than one man and now Seattle has the advantage of drawing savvy vets wanting a ring. I HOPE Bennett comes back, but I am also glad that the FO isn't going to over-pay either.

jblaze

Reaction score
Plan B is keeping Clemons, that's why we haven't released him yet. Also would mean more Scruggs, Williams, Hill and we'd probably go harder after McDonald and McDaniel.

I don't think it would mean the end of the world, but I do think it limits our versatility quite a bit. The best part of Bennett is having him at DE on rush downs in Red Bryant's absence and inside on pass downs allowing our Nascar package with two speed rushers at DE and Bennett at DT. That's 3 good pass rushers on passing downs, someone is likely to get home in that scenario.

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Take his money and sign, McDonald, Tate and possibly McDaniel. We have Greg Scruggs and could possibly bring in Jared Allen (Hell maybe even Bruce Irvin might step up). I am not sure why Bennett would want to go to Purgatory in Oakland or Jacksonville, but if he is about his payday then let him leave. To me, it takes the chip off his shoulder. I would rather and lets gets some hungry d lineman wanting to prove themselves. Looks like we are going to lose Bryant and Bennett :(

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Got to keep this guy.

If Wilson, Thomas and Sherman are the 'must keep guys'....

Bennett's top of the second list for me.

Jville

Reaction score
Wilson Thomas and Sherman are all three down players.

What is Bennett?

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":3j7e07sf said:
What else are they going to say? "Nah, we don't really care if you come back." Of course they're going to admit they want him back. They're also going to "do the best they can do" to try to work out a deal. That's a non-promise promise if I ever heard one. Didn't work out a deal? Well, that was the best they could do.

This is both coach and player speak for, well, absolutely nothing.

Why does there always seem to be a sarcastic response like this? I don't see the OP or any of the parties involved making any "promises." Is it not better news than "the offer is not in the ballpark?"

SMH.

Dtowers

Reaction score
jblaze":3c1y93d1 said:
Dtowers":3c1y93d1 said:
Well Hawks had a chance to make sure he never even put his toe in the water. So it changes some things. Adds 31 other teams to the discussion. That wasn't always destined to be the case. Hawks could have just locked him up or franchised him.

The hawks don't franchise players unless they absolutely would have to. It's a respect thing, players hate it and respect that the Hawks don't do that and try to sign guys to longer term contracts or let them go somewhere else to do that. They treat players well and players don't forget that and in turn are willing to come here when perhaps otherwise they wouldn't or maybe take a hometown discount in the case of Tate.

Why would you make an offer to him without knowing what the market is? They could have given him 10m, maybe he signed it but if he went to market, maybe he would only have commanded 8.5 and thus you overspent. JS/PC have proven they're smart with FA and see what the market sets and then they swoop in, they don't overpay.

I also believe he would go to market regardless, this is his last chance at a big pay day and he wants to make sure he's maximizing his potential value and you wouldn't know that unless you see what other teams are willing to do.

Usually with situations such as this where the player likes where he is but wants to get paid top dollar, there will be a gentlemen's agreement that says, "Here's our offer, go to market and see what others will offer but give us the right to match". If another team overpays, they walk, if not, they stay where they're at.

This doesn't change anything, Bennett was always going to test FA. Franchising him would be stupid, we'd get him for next year and then he'd bolt because we pissed him off when we prevented him from getting a long term deal after he proved it on a one year prove it contract.

That's the whole point of a one year prove it contract, to get paid the next year, not prove it again on another one year franchise tag. It's an agreement between the front office and the player and that would be downright scandalous to go back on that after asking a player to prove it, he did and now we're giving him one year again. It's all about long term contracts and guaranteed dollars to these guys.

I agree with most of this. You are wrong though. This does change things. It is no longer just the Hawks talking to MB. Yes that may have happened anyway but now we know for sure it is happening. That changes the approach Seattle must take.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Dtowers":3tqfd7xd said:
I agree with most of this. You are wrong though. This does change things. It is no longer just the Hawks talking to MB. Yes that may have happened anyway but now we know for sure it is happening. That changes the approach Seattle must take.

Okay, so the Seahawks have confirmed that Bennett's agent isn't a drooling moron. No, I assume that is not a huge game-changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.