Latest from Michael Bennett - Will test Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I still don't see the logic in not tagging him with the non-exclusive tag. It would give us the opportunity to bargain with him and if anyone wants him, it is two first round picks. With that exclusivity, I am pretty sure we could have worked out a long term deal. True, if we couldn't work something out he would be a free agent again next year, but with the salary cap the way it is (i.e. moving up) and the tag not causing dead money, I think we would be fine. Carolina is in a worse cap situation than us and they used the tag on Hardy. I think this might be a misstep by the front office.

Laloosh

Reaction score
TDOTSEAHAWK":1ijmcnco said:
I still don't see the logic in not tagging him with the non-exclusive tag. It would give us the opportunity to bargain with him and if anyone wants him, it is two first round picks. With that exclusivity, I am pretty sure we could have worked out a long term deal. True, if we couldn't work something out he would be a free agent again next year, but with the salary cap the way it is (i.e. moving up) and the tag not causing dead money, I think we would be fine. I think this might be a misstep by the front office.

Maybe they don't think he's worth franchise money...

Dtowers

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":397cas9t said:
Dtowers":397cas9t said:
I agree with most of this. You are wrong though. This does change things. It is no longer just the Hawks talking to MB. Yes that may have happened anyway but now we know for sure it is happening. That changes the approach Seattle must take.

Okay, so the Seahawks have confirmed that Bennett's agent isn't a drooling moron. No, I assume that is not a huge game-changer.

Missing the point. Hawks had the ability to make sure he never left. To the point that neither Bennett nor his agent had a choice. Just because this was the best option for Bennett doesn't mean it was the best options for the Hawks.

I hope he comes back. I doubt it at this point though. I hope to be wrong.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Seattle Sportsnet @alexSSN

"On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say the free agent interest in Michael Bennett from other NFL teams will be about a 12."

jblaze

Reaction score
Dtowers":26ctpbko said:
jblaze":26ctpbko said:
Dtowers":26ctpbko said:
Well Hawks had a chance to make sure he never even put his toe in the water. So it changes some things. Adds 31 other teams to the discussion. That wasn't always destined to be the case. Hawks could have just locked him up or franchised him.

The hawks don't franchise players unless they absolutely would have to. It's a respect thing, players hate it and respect that the Hawks don't do that and try to sign guys to longer term contracts or let them go somewhere else to do that. They treat players well and players don't forget that and in turn are willing to come here when perhaps otherwise they wouldn't or maybe take a hometown discount in the case of Tate.

Why would you make an offer to him without knowing what the market is? They could have given him 10m, maybe he signed it but if he went to market, maybe he would only have commanded 8.5 and thus you overspent. JS/PC have proven they're smart with FA and see what the market sets and then they swoop in, they don't overpay.

I also believe he would go to market regardless, this is his last chance at a big pay day and he wants to make sure he's maximizing his potential value and you wouldn't know that unless you see what other teams are willing to do.

Usually with situations such as this where the player likes where he is but wants to get paid top dollar, there will be a gentlemen's agreement that says, "Here's our offer, go to market and see what others will offer but give us the right to match". If another team overpays, they walk, if not, they stay where they're at.

This doesn't change anything, Bennett was always going to test FA. Franchising him would be stupid, we'd get him for next year and then he'd bolt because we pissed him off when we prevented him from getting a long term deal after he proved it on a one year prove it contract.

That's the whole point of a one year prove it contract, to get paid the next year, not prove it again on another one year franchise tag. It's an agreement between the front office and the player and that would be downright scandalous to go back on that after asking a player to prove it, he did and now we're giving him one year again. It's all about long term contracts and guaranteed dollars to these guys.

I agree with most of this. You are wrong though. This does change things. It is no longer just the Hawks talking to MB. Yes that may have happened anyway but now we know for sure it is happening. That changes the approach Seattle must take.

How can it change things when this was going to be the outcome the whole time? You're wrong, there is a very obvious play by both sides on this and if you can't see that, I can't help you.

MB was always going to take a look at the market to see his options. The only way we control this situation is to franchise him and that wasn't going to happen for the reasons I noted above.

We could have offered him 12/yr, he was still going to go out and see what else is out there. Otherwise, you would always be wondering what if. This way, he's assured he did the right thing and left no stone unturned. It's the only play here after you prove it on a one year prove it deal. He's maximizing his potential and good on him for doing that, he deserves it.

Dtowers

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":o8oh5350 said:
Dtowers":o8oh5350 said:
I hope to be wrong.

You've fulfilled your hopes today beyond your wildest dreams. :)

I think Bennett's coming back.

Keep it classy.

I hope you are right.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Jville":1x4baf23 said:
Wilson Thomas and Sherman are all three down players.

What is Bennett?

A guy who plays a ton of snaps and is our best pass rusher.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Espn is reporting that Bennett will not re sign with us.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
brimsalabim":y6c7u7to said:
Espn is reporting that Bennett will not re sign with us.

"will not sign with the Hawks" could either end with "before testing free agency" or "at all." So far I've only heard the form

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sadly I think someone with a ton of cap space will throw the moon at him and that will be it. Helluva 1 year rental though, he will be missed. It was a mistake to not franchise him IMO.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Yep also reading reports saying Bennett will NOT re-sign with Seattle. Hoping these reports are getting the original story confused.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Next man up. Pete made Bennett. Some one else is waiting I be next.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
It's too bad if true but the Seahawks are still the best team in the NFL and the loss of one defensive player will not sink them. Pete and John will move someone else in there with minimal drop-off and we will still compete for the NFL Championship in 2014 and 2015. One man does not a team make.

Thanks for all the great memories Michael, you've earned your payday. Who's up next?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
DT will be in play in the draft. Hageman should still be available and he's the kind of unique athlete we'd go for. I would say Aaron Donald, but he'll be gone already I think. He might be worth trading up for though. There are also a few other DTs that can be had in the 2nd that we'll be eyeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.