Latest from Michael Bennett - Will test Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesame

Reaction score
ivotuk":10agre89 said:
It's too bad if true but the Seahawks are still the best team in the NFL and the loss of one defensive player will not sink them. Pete and John will move someone else in there with minimal drop-off and we will still compete for the NFL Championship in 2014 and 2015. One man does not a team make.

Thanks for all the great memories Michael, you've earned your payday. Who's up next?

How was the pass rush before Michael Bennett again?

2012 v 2013 was almost night and day with Seattle's pass rush

He made a big impact last year.

Still have Avril, but Bennett is the more complete player.

jblaze

Reaction score
brimsalabim":35sg2zoy said:
Espn is reporting that Bennett will not re sign with us.

They were reiterating Adam Schefter's tweet and missed one very important piece. "before March 11th".

I tweeted it to them that they overlooked this and they responded back with the correction.

Jville

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3fe8gyn5 said:
Jville":3fe8gyn5 said:
Wilson Thomas and Sherman are all three down players.

What is Bennett?

A guy who plays a ton of snaps and is our best pass rusher.

I should have been more gentle. 600 snaps verses 973, 1097 and 1030 respectfully. I would think Seattle's tendency to rotate it's defensive line presents different limitations on what it can offer in the way of individual DL contracts and still get everything to fit under the annual cap.

Will Seattle's defensive line rotation prove to be economically feasible over the long haul? It is a different proposition with different economics than a mix of 3 down full time starters supplemented with backup understudies.

plyka

Reaction score
keatonisballin":2a1gebie said:
Dont blame him for testing the market and trying to get his payday. But if he ends up on an 8-8 team for the rest of his career im sure he'll regret it. Or worse, the Browns.

I don't think he will regret it much, and who cares, I really don't want him to regret it! I wish him all the best. Let's remember, it wasn't too long ago that this guy helped bring a ring to our great city.

On the plus side, I'm glad that the Seahawks are not getting stupid, they are sticking to their guns and not giving out an unreasonable offer. They understand that it's post superbowl, and free agent superbowl winners tend to get inflated contracts. HOpefully they do not pay overinflated contracts when there are other avenues.

This can be the best of both worlds, Bennett may go to another team and get all the money he desires and be very happy in his new home, and the Hawks can go a different route and get Bennet's production at a cheaper rate. Or they could come to an agreement, and Bennett gets a fair value here. Both are great scenarios in my book!

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Meh, not going to be bummed ou if he pcks up and takes big bucks elsewhere.

Pete is a defensive mastermind, and John can find the best players for Pete's scheme.

Bennett was essentially a plug and play last season, it can be done again.

cesame

Reaction score
I don't understand why everyone is undervaluing Bennett all of the sudden

Is it because he may not come back, and people are trying to rationalize the loss or something?

The guy is really good and was the most complete player on the defensive line for Seattle last season. That's not easy to replace.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Here's some interesting information:

Q. When does the 2014 free agency signing period begin?

A. At 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11.

Q. What is permitted during the three-day negotiating period prior to the start of free agency?

A. Beginning at 12:00 noon ET on Saturday, March 8 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013-nfl-...so-michael-bennett-to-test-free-agency-waters

So if I read this correctly, other teams can start negotiating with Bennett this Saturday. I'm sure that prior to even that date, a players agent talks to clubs and asks "so, what would you pay a player of Michael Bennett's caliber?"

byau

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2c6yns2c said:
Next man up. Pete made Bennett. Some one else is waiting I be next.

YES!

There are a ton of people who are athletic at this level (it's the NFL, you have to be). The mindset and coaching and leadership is what takes it up a notch

danp1990

Reaction score
Anybody saying Jared Allen will be a possible signing is missinformed...Jared says he doesnt like playing situational footbal/rotation on the D-line.heres he's quote, leave that for the "SHE-GALS". So Jared can Shove it where the Sun dont Shine!!! Your Yesterday's news anyways!

plyka

Reaction score
cesame":1akk9k1z said:
ivotuk":1akk9k1z said:
It's too bad if true but the Seahawks are still the best team in the NFL and the loss of one defensive player will not sink them. Pete and John will move someone else in there with minimal drop-off and we will still compete for the NFL Championship in 2014 and 2015. One man does not a team make.

Thanks for all the great memories Michael, you've earned your payday. Who's up next?

You would be correct if some assumptions are made:

The only difference between 2012 and 2013 was bennett

and every other player was exactly the same between 2012 and 2013

and all of our opponents were exactly the same between 2012 and 2013

Of course none of those are true. The pass rush in 2013 was much better than 2012. The majority of that is due to other reasons besides Bennett --Avril, Mcdaniel, Mcdonald, better play from other players on the team, MAxwell instead of Browner for the last part of the year, natural growth, etc etc etc

Also, no one is saying that if Bennett leaves the Hawks do not replace his production with another player, either through the draft or through free agency.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
BS on all the people saying that bennet will "NOT" re-sign with Seattle.

The actual quote is "will not be re-signing with the Seahawks before March 11th, per source."

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Seattle DE Michael Bennett will be testing the free agent market and will not be re-signing with the Seahawks before March 11th, per source.
12:33 PM - 6 Mar 2014

Dtowers

Reaction score
ivotuk":2nkwdtpq said:
Here's some interesting information:

Q. When does the 2014 free agency signing period begin?

A. At 4:00 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11.

Q. What is permitted during the three-day negotiating period prior to the start of free agency?

A. Beginning at 12:00 noon ET on Saturday, March 8 and ending at 3:59:59 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 11, clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2013 player contracts at 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m. ET on March 11.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2013-nfl-...so-michael-bennett-to-test-free-agency-waters

So if I read this correctly, other teams can start negotiating with Bennett this Saturday. I'm sure that prior to even that date, a players agent talks to clubs and asks "so, what would you pay a player of Michael Bennett's caliber?"

Technically no but it happens. The march 8th date used to be an unofficial tampering time period. It was against the rules but teams still did it. Recently they made it above table and "official" that teams can preemptively contact agents vice versa. It is how so many contracts are inked within minutes of free agency opening.

So there is a chance Bennett already knows there is a bigger offer out on the table.

cesame

Reaction score
plyka":2m3k4fef said:
cesame":2m3k4fef said:
ivotuk":2m3k4fef said:

You would be correct if some assumptions are made:

The only difference between 2012 and 2013 was bennett

and every other player was exactly the same between 2012 and 2013

and all of our opponents were exactly the same between 2012 and 2013

Of course none of those are true. The pass rush in 2013 was much better than 2012. The majority of that is due to other reasons besides Bennett --Avril, Mcdaniel, Mcdonald, better play from other players on the team, MAxwell instead of Browner for the last part of the year, natural growth, etc etc etc

Also, no one is saying that if Bennett leaves the Hawks do not replace his production with another player, either through the draft or through free agency.

The two biggest reasons are Bennett and Avril, and losing Bennett would be taking one of those reasons away.

I also don't think it's easy to just replace Bennett

But Seattle may be faced with that challenge and we'll see what they'll do

Hawkfish

Reaction score
danp1990":31yu1x63 said:
Anybody saying Jared Allen will be a possible signing is missinformed...Jared says he doesnt like playing situational footbal/rotation on the D-line.heres he's quote, leave that for the "SHE-GALS". So Jared can Shove it where the Sun dont Shine!!! Your Yesterday's news anyways!

Sorry, but you may have it wrong.

“I think for my next team it will come down to a chance to win, a good organization, as well as getting a fair contract,” Allen said. If Allen’s definition of a fair contract is one that would allow him to move into more of a situational role, there will likely be a lot of interest from teams with a better chance to win than the Vikings.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -contract/

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
danp1990":1uk7re2e said:
Well, you are leaving out one factor...... How badly does he want a great shot of a ring? If that overrides the situational factor then he still is in play, if the situational thing is a deal breaker then you are right.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Well if MB is gone, he is gone. No bitterness from me, he will leave a champion. Hopefully he will decide this is the place he wants to be after hearing other offers, if not, we move on. I'm pretty sure JS and PC prepared for this possibility, so I'm not overly concerned, despite the GREAT season MB had.

kearly

Reaction score
I expect Seattle to be competitive in bidding for Bennett. I think this situation will play out a lot like Red Bryant did a couple years ago. Seattle will end up paying a little more than what they are comfortable with, but they will still pay it. Nothing that has happened so far is unexpected.

I'm sure JS has a plan B set up, but I think it's pretty obvious that keeping Bennett will be plan A.

theascension

Reaction score
Perhaps that 10M mark was true and if so.. probably is too pricy for Seattle to consider. If so I'll be a bit sad he's decided to go but happy for him since I think it's likely he could get near that mark. He'll be definitely missed but let's be honest.. even lesser pass rushers have sack chances in Seattle with how amazing our secondary is.

I still feel like a league veteran will want a ring bad enough that we'll get at least one vet (maybe Allen) this year who will play with a reduced contract.

Jville

Reaction score
Long before the playoffs. I resigned myself to the belief that the fierce pass rush the team was building with veteran players, in 2013, was a once in a great while event.

Losing one of those veteran pass rushers is inevitable. Losing two is conceivable. The only long term economical resolution, IMO, is thru player development. And, there are already a few projects on the team.

So whether Bennett moves on or someone else, its back to square one this summer. Roster churn and building a defensive line rotation for 2014.

The intrigue is in watching it all play itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.