Free Agency

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I will say this, at least the Russell Wilson trade amped up the traffic on .net! This coming Sunday, teams can start negotiating with players in free agency. On Wednesday 3/16 they can actually start signing them as that is the official start of the 2022 calendar year. After getting over the initial shock and disappointment of yesterdays news, I began to find the timing a bit curios. Between the Wilson trade and Wagner release, the Seahawks freed up about 10 million in cap space. I don't know what their cap space will be heading into free agency but thats quite a chunk. Neither Drew Lock nor Jacob Eason will be Wilsons actual replacement come September, so they must have their sights set on someone.

Unlike most years in the PC/JS era, they usually sit out the first wave of FA. I'm thinking that might not be the plan this year. They free up an additional $10 mil a week before the start of FA and grab some prime draft real estate. Makes me wonder. One method of retooling a roster is to get what you can in FA so that come draft time, you can use those picks to fill whatever holes you have left. This team has lots of holes. A couple of glaring holes now. QB has now become the top priority. None of the pending FA's excite me. Neither to the draft eligible QBs.

I'm thinking they attack FA with the plan of building up the team around whoever they find as a replacement for Wilson. I remember back when Pete and John were hired, they said numerous times that they wouldn't just grab a QB to grab one. They had a process where they would let the position sort itself out. Something along those lines. This gives me hope that they won't spend numerous years using high picks on essentially crap QBs. See Arizona and Chicago as examples of using draft capitol over and over within just a few years to man the position.

One thing is for certain. This is now a much more interesting offseason than it was going to be just a few days ago. Prepare to be entertained.

justafan

Reaction score
I hope they keep their powder dry until the foundation players are drafted and start developing. High priced free agents wont be a big game changers this year unless its a elite QB. See what we can get in the draft or trades and churn baby churn. Weed out the ones that dont want to be here. Nobody is safe now.