Latest from Michael Bennett - Will test Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaswab

Reaction score
The annoying thing is somehow the 49ers get Boldin to resign on the cheap, without testing the market. The biggest dickhead out there.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
As long as he gives Seattle an opportunity to match other teams' offers I'm fine with letting him see what he's worth on the FA market. I'd rather see him leave than give him a Grant Wistrom-sized deal to make sure he stays, and if he does leave we have other options both on the team and in free agency.

Keeping Bennett long term would be a great thing, but only if it makes fiscal sense for the team. This is his one shot at a big deal: go see what you can get but make sure that the team that gave you this chance has a chance to keep you.

HawkMeat

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2ng6y11a said:
lock this thread....out of date info.
Title is a bit out of date with the news he is testing FA.

With the cap increase and teams with huge dollars to spend he will be probably be gone.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Seaswab":7ln1r8w5 said:
The annoying thing is somehow the 49ers get Boldin to resign on the cheap, without testing the market. The biggest dickhead out there.

6mil for a soon to be washed up WR isn't on the cheap.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Seaswab":2ntx0r92 said:
The biggest dickhead out there.

He knew he'd found his dickhead soulmate in Jim Harbaugh and couldn't bear to leave him.

iigakusei

Reaction score
Seaswab":abafb5tg said:
Totally different scenarios. Compare Bennett's and Boldin's career earnings. Bennett wants a big payday and who can blame him? He has his ring....time to get paid.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
This sucks, but I understand that Bennett took a cheaper deal in order to make this happen. He bet on himself and he deserves to cash in for it.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Dont blame him for testing the market and trying to get his payday. But if he ends up on an 8-8 team for the rest of his career im sure he'll regret it. Or worse, the Browns.

Seahawker86

Reaction score
If he leaves it just makes it easier to keep everyone from the legion of boom which I'd rather have. That includes Maxwell

Dtowers

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":3psdxh1t said:
This sucks, but I understand that Bennett took a cheaper deal in order to make this happen. He bet on himself and he deserves to cash in for it.

Yep. We all knew this was a possibility at the start of last season. He was a major contributor regardless of whether or not he had a better year than last year. Even though the market was luke warm to him last year that most likely will not be the case this year. Once is a fluke. Twice is coincidence. Three times is a trend and I bet some team is willing to pay to have that trend on their team.

jblaze

Reaction score
Everyone needs to stop freaking out, this changes nothing. We put an offer on the table and now he's going out to see what he can get on the market. This was always the way it was going to be. He's trying to get top dollar since he's been on a 1 year prove it contract and well, he proved it so it's time to get paid.

He knows what we offered him, he'll go out and see what the market is and come back before signing elsewhere to see if we'll match. There's probably only two places he'd be leaning towards playing and that is Seattle and Chicago for reasons other than money.

He'd be a moron not to see what other teams would pay him and accept some arbitrary number from the Hawks. He's going for top dollar and this was known.

This changes nothing. Stop freaking out. This is how these things work.

danp1990

Reaction score
Whats next hawks Fans??? Do you see DE's Gregg Shruggs, Obrien Schofield, or Kenneth Boatright as possible Replacements.just the way this offseason has gone I really do think Chris Clemmons is gone :/ .im thinking in the back of my head that JS and PC will go after Mike Johnson from The Bengals.not a high possibility but I think we can get him for atwo year deal.

Dtowers

Reaction score
Well Hawks had a chance to make sure he never even put his toe in the water. So it changes some things. Adds 31 other teams to the discussion. That wasn't always destined to be the case. Hawks could have just locked him up or franchised him.

davidonmi

Reaction score
danp1990":3e19sqqo said:
Whats next hawks Fans??? Do you see DE's Gregg Shruggs, Obrien Schofield, or Kenneth Boatright as possible Replacements.just the way this offseason has gone I really do think Chris Clemmons is gone :/ .im thinking in the back of my head that JS and PC will go after Mike Johnson from The Bengals.not a high possibility but I think we can get him for atwo year deal.
well we still have Avril, and there will be another pass rushing FA who's market will suck and we can pick up on a short term deal (JARED ALLEN) if all goes wrong we can always get one from the draft.
We should extend Avril if Bennett leaves

Greenhell

Reaction score
Bullet dodged. Almost bought a #72 jersey. Will wait until he signs a pay-day with the Hawks now. *finger tapping*

byau

Reaction score
First: Chiming in semi off-topic.

Seriously Seattle fans are the best fans in the world. They know when to be fanboys and fangirls and they know when to step back and understand what's going on.

MB took a risk, it paid off, and yes he's due his pay day while his stock his high. I usually listen to national radio (ESPN) and I'm in Los Angeles (Laker fans..........) and it's just sad when I hear how ignorant people are when it comes to caps and trades and not understanding that things need to work out for everyone including the opposing team and the individual player, not just for the home team.

Seattle fans.. you guys rock.

Second: on-topic
As far as MB, he contributed and while I hope he returns, if he doesn't, you have to know that Pete and John have a plan in place.

PLUS there will be another talented FA in a similar position as Michael Bennett was in last year that will be willing to play for the Seahawks for a price the Hawks can afford. And the scouting the Hawks do will help get the right FAs in to give the Seahawks the best chance for winning SB 49

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If he gets around 11 mil somewhere else, it's not worth matching. Plus, I believe it would get us a 3rd rounder in return. Could be wrong though.

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
Dude deserves a paycheck but I think the writing is on the wall for him. This team was (for the most part) built on putting together a bunch of high value (to our FO anyway) low earnings type players. Just a matter of seeing where the Seahawk FO's comfort zone ends and the free agency market begins. His Brother really wants him in Chicago, but I just don't know if da bears can afford what he estimates his worth to be. And they play Jared Allen a few times a year so they are aware of his talents as well. Little bit of a chess match brewing. :snack:

Status
Not open for further replies.