Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Jville":3bflrbth said:
Long before the playoffs. I resigned myself to the belief that the fierce pass rush the team was building with veteran players, in 2013, was a once in a great while event.

Losing one of those veteran pass rushers is inevitable. Losing two is conceivable. The only long term economical resolution, IMO, is thru player development. And, there are already a few projects on the team.

So whether Bennett moves on or someone else, its back to square one this summer. Roster churn and building a defensive line rotation for 2014.

The intrigue is in watching it all play itself out.

POTD

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Well hopefully the Hawks will be able to get him re-signed. It will be tough, but hopefully they can so it.

Hawks46

Reaction score
There's a few things working for us here:

1. this is one of the better FA DL/DE classes in a long while. You have a lot of competition out there. The word is that the Raiders are hot after Bennett. It seems odd they're so hot to get after Bennett, but haven't offered a contract to Justin Houston, who's younger, and by most accounts, a more desirable FA get.

2. Depth. I honestly think Scruggs could fill in; maybe not on the same level, but I also think Bennett and Avril helped each other out. Brooks is also an intriguing option, and I'm not convinced that McDonald couldn't play tha position, at least at DT. Losing Bennett won't be the end of the world....it costs us some versatility, but we have players that can do close to what he does, just not at both positions.

3. One of the first suitors for Bennett in every article is the Raiders. They'd have to offer Bennett at least 12 mil/year to make going to CA worth it from a state tax perspective. If they throw that much money at Bennett, they won't be throwing that much money at Houston. Even if they want to retain Houston and pay him, it will probably piss him off that someone else got a larger contract offer first, and from another team.

I'm guessing we offered Bennett around 8 mil/year and he was serious about that 10 mil/year number. If he get that much, he puts himself in line with guys like Johnson from Cincy, Houston from the Raiders, and probably more than Tuck or Allen will get.

I'm also not too worried. When it comes to drafting, we've shown to be exceptional, and this is a draft class that has some great DE options. If we know we're not going to get Bennett, we can probably keep McDonald and McDaniel. Clinton can slide over, or come in with the Nickle package. We'll be ok.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Jville":zyptpv54 said:
Long before the playoffs. I resigned myself to the belief that the fierce pass rush the team was building with veteran players, in 2013, was a once in a great while event.

Losing one of those veteran pass rushers is inevitable. Losing two is conceivable. The only long term economical resolution, IMO, is thru player development. And, there are already a few projects on the team.

So whether Bennett moves on or someone else, its back to square one this summer. Roster churn and building a defensive line rotation for 2014.

The intrigue is in watching it all play itself out.
This is where I'm at. But really after accepting this possibility I'm not overly worried because of the fact that Pete is incredible when it comes to building a defense. Besides we have way too much money invested in the defensive line overall. We need to find answers from within.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
I see that there are people on Twitter who are taking this news as Bennett being gone and subsequently tweeting hate at him.

These people are very, very stupid and I wish I had the energy to individually invite all of them to take a bath with a toaster.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
I dont want him back. Ill go on record right now as saying he will be a bust either for us or for another team starting effective immediately. I DONT WANT HIM BACK.. The guy is an idiot IMO.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
BlueBlood":8slj4l2w said:
I dont want him back. Ill go on record right now as saying he will be a bust either for us or for another team starting effective immediately. I DONT WANT HIM BACK.. The guy is an idiot IMO.

It's fine if you don't want the guy back and think he will bust but I am not sure why you feel the need to call him an idiot. Guys play in the wrong system all the time.

He has always been a high effort player. I don't think getting a bunch of guaranteed money is gonna make him slow down. Clemons was pretty much a nobody and he didn't stop playing once he earned a contract.

lukerguy

Reaction score
BlueBlood":3secbfjv said:

An idiot? Why? Because the Seahawks didn't give him a multi- year deal last year, and now he wants to see what others are willing to pay before he makes his decision?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I think he'll probably get paid something like 5/55 or even 5/60 from a team like Oakland or Jacksonville. If so, and he wants to make as much money as he can on this contract, good for him. I understand where he's coming from.

He's an outstanding player that can play inside or outside, but I do think we can cobble together a solid pass rush without him by re-signing McDonald and waiting for the glut of edge rushers on the market to see their value fall after the first initial wave of FA. I'd hate to lose him and I won't say that we'd be better off, but I'm not quite as adamant as some people that Bennett is a must-re-sign. Of course, the some people that do feel that way are people that I really respect in terms of their analysis, which gives me pause.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
BlueBlood":bza0up7d said:

1. What has he done to make you think he's an idiot?
2. What has he done to make you think that he'll be a bust after he signs this next contract?

Elaborate.

JaiSeaSea

Reaction score
Idiot?!? Damn the hate flows...

I, like, many others think that 8,9,10 mil is too much. I loved watching him play but if theses internet speculations about him wanting 10+ are true then good luck elsewhere mr. Bennett.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Peace bro, thanks for the run, I'll enjoy keeping Avril around personally.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Hit the fast forward button to next season when our D is top 5 and saint Avril gets all the choice hate for wanting top DE pay after his prove it deal ends. Can't wait for it.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Lady Talon":rzlv41eo said:
Hit the fast forward button to next season when our D is top 5 and saint Avril gets all the choice hate for wanting top DE pay after his prove it deal ends. Can't wait for it.

Human nature just doesn't change....does it?

volsunghawk

Reaction score
BlueBlood":3twekn1j said:

Posts like this are why .NET can simultaneously be the best and worst place on the interwebz.

Penman96

Reaction score
Interesting move by the front office and I'm happy they did it. Purely speculation in terms of contract size, but if the offer the Seahawks made was 7-8 million /year and that was rejected, then it's time for both sides to test the free agent market.

The Seahawks are testing the market as much as Bennett is, if they have 7-8 million /year budgeted for a DL, they can see who comes calling for a chance to make that money. and acquire a SuperBowl ring. If Seattle like what they can get, then Bennett's offer is withdrawn.

While Bennett will be talking to teams starting March 8, the Seahawks will be lining up replacements. We will be waiting to see who gets lucky first.

Status
Not open for further replies.