Latest from Michael Bennett - Will test Free Agency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
LOL at the 9ers going after Bennett. If they COULD I'd be all for it (he's a very good player), but LOL at Florio floating this silliness. Not a chance.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":20p2nolk said:
LOL at the 9ers going after Bennett. If they COULD I'd be all for it (he's a very good player), but LOL at Florio floating this silliness. Not a chance.
not even one source. Florio getting clicks.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Lotta people all twitterpated over this, and at both ends of the spectrum, from hating the player to thinking the Seahawks messed up by not franchising him. And getting all worked up over the same ESPN that a) doesn't get much right regarding Seattle, and b) constantly overhypes and spins crap to push ratings with controversy. Well done, folks.

This is standard for the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks. Business as usual. We didn't franchise him because it would have been too big a hit financially for the risk we'd take doing it. We can't tie up too much money hoping Bennett will be as good or better than last year, while at the same time, hoping we'll be able to squeeze cut-rate deals from some of our proven superstars.

And we're not going to overpay him if he finds a gargantuan deal elsewhere and wants us to match. He'd love to stay here and has already expressed as much several times. But he's also due for his breakout paycheck. He may well get it here if we can negotiate a friendlier deal with him. It may not be here if some other team with deeper pockets is willing to overpay. But that doesn't mean once he tests the market that he won't be back.

Bottom line is that while Bennett is a great player, and responsible for a good portion of our success last year, we're also a very deep, talented team. We were a great defense in 2012, and Bennett was not a part of that. We were so good that year, that Seahawks.com posted an article asking if the 2012 Seahawks defense was the best defense in team history. Now, after the 2013 season, we look back and laugh at that notion. Ahahahaha! Such good times, those! We thought we had a good defense then. Ahahahahaha!

But it was a pretty damned good defense, and Bennett was not a part of it. 2014 may be as good or better than this past year's, and Bennett may or may not be a part of that one too. We'll let him test the market as we have with a number of good players before. And he'll be back or not, depending on how things unfold. And in either case, we'll still be in good shape.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ij1ntei said:
Popeyejones":3ij1ntei said:
not even one source. Florio getting clicks.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... l-bennett/

OMG Florio is such a hack.

This is the kind of crap the media pulls these days. He says stuff like "some think" and then in the next paragraph proceed as if the "some think" is now fact. Its the same thing he did with the Harbaugh story and countless others.

Man I hate the media these days. Bennett is too expensive and doesn't fit the 49ers defense. Not going to happen.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I don't think the seahawks will up their current offer. A bidding war seems very unlikely. If he gets something higher out there, he is gone and we are on to plan A-2.

I'm happy with the comp pick and his help to get a ring last season. Go get paid, go fade into obscurity.

lukerguy

Reaction score
The 9ers are 4 under the cap and can save 14 M by cutting gore, Rogers, and Dorsey; however, assuming they want kaepernick back, that entire 18 would go to him. Can't see how they'd put together another 7-8 for Bennett. Let alone fit schematically.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
lukerguy":u5fzls78 said:
The 9ers are 4 under the cap and can save 14 M by cutting gore, Rogers, and Dorsey; however, assuming they want kaepernick back, that entire 18 would go to him. Can't see how they'd put together another 7-8 for Bennett. Let alone fit schematically.
I would buy that they would try and drive his price, but they an't afford for that bluff to be called.

If the Niners wanted to weaken the Hawks and get better at the same time, they would go after Tate. Not Bennett, who I don't think fits the roster.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":357plc3q said:
lukerguy":357plc3q said:
I would buy that they would try and drive his price, but they an't afford for that bluff to be called.

If the Niners wanted to weaken the Hawks and get better at the same time, they would go after Tate. Not Bennett, who I don't think fits the roster.

I think SF would rather have ADB and they've got an extra 2nd round pick this year don't they? Would they have to give up one or two 2nd rounders for him?

Marvin49

Reaction score
lukerguy":3640mfgn said:

?

Uh, they are more like 9 or 10 under right now (after Boldin signing) and won't be cutting Gore or Dorsey. Not sure where you got that idea.

As for Kap, any deal he signs will be cap friendly early in the deal and might not even take effect until NEXT year so his cap # wouldn't inflate.

Having said that though, I don't see them getting into a "bidding war" over ANYONE, let alone a DE who doesn't fit their system.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
lukerguy":3codmbzz said:
The 9ers are 4 under the cap and can save 14 M by cutting gore, Rogers, and Dorsey

????

They're 15 million under the cap as of right now. If they just cut Rogers that gets them up to 20 million (his cap hit is 8 but it would leave 3 in dead money).

They're still not signing Bennett, though. ;)

lukerguy

Reaction score
Adb wouldn't sign that offer sheet. He hates harbaugh. The colts on the other hand.....

BlueBlood

Reaction score
Doods, some serious hate flying my way over comments about Bennett. I just dont like the guy and didnt want us to sign him because we have other more important cogs to compensate. As far as me being an idiot? I wouldnt sign me, at 6'1 200 pounds and just turning 35 my forty speed is down to somewhere in the low 5s and Id definately be looking for a big pay day so I could retire with plenty of breathing room.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3gun0gro said:
lukerguy":3gun0gro said:
The 9ers are 4 under the cap and can save 14 M by cutting gore, Rogers, and Dorsey

????

They're 15 million under the cap as of right now. If they just cut Rogers that gets them up to 20 million (his cap hit is 8 but it would leave 3 in dead money).

They're still not signing Bennett, though. ;)
http://overthecap.com/teamcap.php?Team=49ers&Year=2014

Did you count dead money?

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
BlueBlood":n4ihgi0h said:
Doods, some serious hate flying my way over comments about Bennett. I just dont like the guy and didnt want us to sign him because we have other more important cogs to compensate. As far as me being an idiot? I wouldnt sign me, at 6'1 200 pounds and just turning 35 my forty speed is down to somewhere in the low 5s and Id definately be looking for a big pay day so I could retire with plenty of breathing room.

Blueblood,
What specific things were idiotic that Bennett has said?

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1cj7paom said:

The Niners don't have to be serious about Bennett, they just have to appear to be in order to drive up his cost for us.

It's the same thing they did last year with Harvin, which is why he got so much damn money, we were afraid of him going to SF.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
MidwestHawker":24bel1yw said:
BlueBlood":24bel1yw said:

Blueblood,
What specific things were idiotic that Bennett has said?

id·i·ot/ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled [id-ee-uht] Show IPA
noun

1. Informal. an utterly foolish or senseless person: If you think you can wear that outfit to a job interview and get hired, you're an idiot!

2. Psychology . (no longer in technical use; considered offensive) a person of the lowest order in a former and discarded classification of mental retardation, having a mental age of less than three years old and an intelligence quotient under 25.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:

1250–1300; Middle English < Latin idiōta < Greek idiṓtēs private person, layman, person lacking skill or expertise, equivalent to idiō- (lengthened variant of idio- idio-, perhaps by analogy with stratiōtēs professional soldier, derivative of stratiá army) + -tēs agent noun suffix

Related forms
id·i·ot·ic, adjective

Synonyms
1. fool, half-wit; imbecile; dolt, dunce, numskull.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Look, I ran into the guy with my son at pike place and he was ^^^^^^^^

seahawk12thman

Reaction score
Florio is a real piece of crap. I got sucked into his tabloid trash on Harbaugh. If Harbaugh leaves it will be because his ego clashes with Baalke and York, not because his contract is few million dollars less. This is a man who drives a pickup truck and spends his time at Walmart accessorizing, he doesn't exactly live his life as an Emperor. I am by no means a fan of Jimbo but the hit pieces done on him are irresponsible and cowardly.

If the Niners sign Bennett they would have to let Whitner walk or let Colin go. I assume they are going to sign Kaep??? Baalke can't be stupid enough to sign Bennett unless the Niners want to go to a 4-3 and let one of their stud linebackers sit on the bench.

Personally I am ok letting Bennett walk. Resign Tate, bring in Allen on a one year deal, and use his money to sign our d lineman or put it towards the big two this offseason. The Hawks value linebackers and DB's over D lineman. There are plenty of big bodies this free agency for the Hawks to choose from so if the Niners want to bust the bank to sign Bennett, please make it so :)

Status
Not open for further replies.