Kubiak fired.

chris98251

Reaction score
Martz is a egomaniac, he is one of those loose cannons, a far cry from Kubiak.

On the field he needs a certain skill set to make his offense work, in Detroit it didn't pan out well, in Chicago it didn't pan out well, yes he was a coordinator there but still as the Rams HC he had a lot more input on the players brought in.

rottweiler

Reaction score
chris98251":rj1cwj3c said:

On the field he needs a certain skill set to make his offense work, in Detroit it didn't pan out well, in Chicago it didn't pan out well, yes he was a coordinator there but still as the Rams HC he had a lot more input on the players brought in.

Good points, yeah.

He was also an OC in 'Frisco, too. Didn't do much for them, either.

Brian Billick would be worth a long look for them, too. Lotsa folks forget that before he was associated with that vaunted early 2000s Ravens D, he was the OC who relaunched Randall Cunningham's career in Minnesota.

I think he could utilize the current Texans line-up and make them scary as hell, could Billick.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rottweiler":2kfotgmf said:
chris98251":2kfotgmf said:

Good points, yeah.

Brian Billick would be worth a long look for them, too. Lotsa folks forget that before he was associated with that vaunted early 2000s Ravens D, he was the OC who relaunched Randall Cunningham's career in Minnesota.

I think he could utilize the current Texans line-up and make them scary as hell, could Billick.

Billick was asked about coaching last off season. Hes completely content doing his nfln gig, color commentating and spending time with his grand kids. Besides he is Cowher now.

rottweiler

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":36xgi7l1 said:
rottweiler":36xgi7l1 said:
chris98251":36xgi7l1 said:

Good points, yeah.

Billick was asked about coaching last off season. Hes completely content doing his nfln gig, color commentating and spending time with his grand kids. Besides he is Cowher now.

Different time, different circumstances.

Things change, man.

I'm willing to bet he wouldn't mind having another Super Bowl ring.

And if he could resurrect Randall Cunningham, he can also resurrect Matt Schaub.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rottweiler":391c6esc said:
CALIHAWK1":391c6esc said:
rottweiler":391c6esc said:
chris98251":391c6esc said:

Good points, yeah.

Things change, man.

And if he could resurrect Randall Cunningham, he can also resurrect Matt Schaub.

How long has he been out of coaching?

rottweiler

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":hq1o1bar said:
rottweiler":hq1o1bar said:
CALIHAWK1":hq1o1bar said:
rottweiler":hq1o1bar said:

Things change, man.

Why should that matter?

Dick Vermeil was out of coaching for 15 years before he signed up to lead the Rams, man.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rottweiler":14oabo93 said:
CALIHAWK1":14oabo93 said:
rottweiler":14oabo93 said:
CALIHAWK1":14oabo93 said:
rottweiler said:

Things change, man.

Why should that matter?

Dick Vermeil was out of coaching for 15 years before he signed up to lead the Rams, man.

He's more the exception.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Down 4 pts with 4:00 left, chip shot FG gets it to 1. Instead, he loses on a 4th down gamble, forcing his questionable QB to get the TD with no TOs and time expiring once they got the ball back. Basically, trusted Schaub more than his defense against one of the worst teams in the league. He left his owner and Rick Smith no choice with that loss.

Watt is FA after next year and reports suggest he wants to be a Packer. Cushing can't stay on the field and Andre is not getting any younger. Foster, IMO, is done and they don't have a QB. Their next coach isn't walking into the job Kubiak started 2013 with. Window. slammed.

EDIT: Props to Matt Schaub last night. He did some things very well out there in limited action. There's still a place for Matt Schaub in the NFL, IMO.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Why would Watt want to be a Packer? Only because of Rodgers? If Dom Capers is still running that defense at that point, I'd want to avoid it if I were Watt. :)

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2hba0lqf said:
Why would Watt want to be a Packer? Only because of Rodgers? If Dom Capers is still running that defense at that point, I'd want to avoid it if I were Watt. :)

Grew up a hardcore Packer fan (in Favre's glory days) in Pewaukee, Wisc.. Trust me Ro, he wants to be a Packer. He wouldn't be human if he didn't. White Reggie White, lol.

You get your Axe yet?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Ugh. Now I don't like Watt as much. I had to live as a teen in Wisconsin during the 90s, and I've been to Pewaukee. I almost hope he fades into ignominy if he signs with the Packers...

Also, no, I haven't. I'm visiting my mom & sister in Hillsboro, OR for Christmas; I'll probably buy it then when I'm there. No sales tax. :)

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":fns3e4jw said:
Ugh. Now I don't like Watt as much. I had to live as a teen in Wisconsin during the 90s, and I've been to Pewaukee. I almost hope he fades into ignominy if he signs with the Packers...

Also, no, I haven't. I'm visiting my mom & sister in Hillsboro, OR for Christmas; I'll probably buy it then when I'm there. No sales tax. :)

Smart move on the purchase. Just play a bunch of 'em. Try to force them out of tune and see how they do.

I spent my youth living on Milwaukee's notorious North side. I have no love, or fond memories of that place, either. I guess Watt has a brother (OG?) at Wisconsin. I just learned that from a Pack fan last night.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Milwaukee is a dump of a city. As you obviously well know. Their city catchphrase is ridiculous; "A Great Place on a Great Lake!" :roll:

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1c3fq7j2 said:
Milwaukee is a dump of a city. As you obviously well know. Their city catchphrase is ridiculous; "A Great Place on a Great Lake!" :roll:

My parents still apologize for moving us there. Our backyard in Washington was Warm beach. Our back yard in Milwaukee was the Master lock factory. : /

We still refuse their apologies and I'm glad this subject came up before doing their Xmas shopping. ; )

ratso

Reaction score
ESPN report names ESPN’s Jon Gruden as a possible Texans coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ans-coach/

Every time a new report surfaces connecting Jon Gruden to a coaching job, the company line at ESPN is that Gruden is committed to remaining in the Monday Night Football booth. And so far, every time the company line has been right.

But the latest report to link Gruden to a coaching vacancy appeared on ESPN, where John Clayton reported today that Gruden could be one of the candidates in Houston. An on-screen graphic accompanying Clayton’s report put Gruden atop a list of candidates that also includes Lovie Smith, Mike Shanahan, Ken Whisenhunt, and Tom Cable.

That’s an interesting list. Smith’s presence on it isn’t exactly news, considering that Texans owner Bob McNair specifically mentioned that he plans to interview Smith for the job. Whisenhunt’s presence isn’t surprising, either, as Whisenhunt had some success during his tenure as head coach of the Cardinals and is having a good first year as the Chargers’ offensive coordinator.

The other two names are a little more surprising. Shanahan already has a job in Washington, so if Clayton thinks McNair will be interviewing Shanahan, he also must think Dan Snyder will be firing Shanahan. And Cable had an uninspiring tenure as head coach in Oakland, although his work as the offensive line coach in Seattle the last three years may have rehabilitated his image enough that some team will give him a second chance.

But Gruden’s name is the one that will raise eyebrows. Perhaps Gruden can address his colleague’s report on Monday Night Football.

chris98251

Reaction score
Grudens on every list has been for years and he always does the interviews and picks brains and then says ummm thanks but I'm looking for the right fit or something to that effect.

rottweiler

Reaction score
ratso":304i4b05 said:
ESPN report names ESPN’s Jon Gruden as a possible Texans coach

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ans-coach/

Cable had an uninspiring tenure as head coach in Oakland, although his work as the offensive line coach in Seattle the last three years may have rehabilitated his image enough that some team will give him a second chance.

LOL.

What a load of crap. Sounds like that reporter let a little too much of his own bias seep into that report.

I don't think of Cable's tenure as Raider HC as "uninspiring" at all.

He had that team playing better than they had in years. They looked like they were on track actually to become playoff-bound again, if Al Davis in his typical hurry hadn't fired the guy.

Cable wasn't an "uninspiring" HC in Oakland, that's for sure.

The Radish

Reaction score
I think Chucky makes enough money being on television. It would take the perfect job to drag him away.

Cable is not going anywhere except to take Pete's job when Pete doesn't want it anymore. I thought Cable did a great job at Ray-Duhs and felt they were stupid to let him go. I know a bunch of Ray-Duh fans feel exactly the same way.

I don't think anyone is dumb enough to hire Martz for a head coach.

All those years as a coordinator for Kubiak I was sure he'd make a great head coach but it seems he can't delegate and that's a must for a head coach.

:les:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I mentioned this earlier in the thread: I don't think Gruden will ever find a more perfect situation. Houston already has talent at almost every position. They are headed for pole position in an absolutely stacked draft. Gruden is a college QB junky, and he can take any one he wants in this class. If he's ever going to come back, this would be the time. Unless he's waiting for Pete to retire in Seattle or something.

Latest posts