Kubiak fired.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
DavidSeven":31q580ft said:
BTW, that has to be the best head coaching vacancy in ages. Tons and tons of talent on that team, and they're going to get great draft position. What do they even need besides a coach and a QB? They're loaded everywhere besides maybe their secondary. Might as well pencil in whoever takes the job as 2014 Coach of the Year.
Kansas City 2013 version.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Bevell to Houston would make no sense to me. They are like the same guy. So much so that it might make sense to bring Kubiak to Seattle if Bevell is hired somewhere else. Houston obviously wants to move in a new direction.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rumor has it Texans owner Bob McNair's parting words to Kubiak were: "Sorry, Gary; but you just don't have the heart for this anymore."

(Too soon?)

chris98251

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2x88i2ib said:
Rumor has it Texans owner Bob McNair's parting words to Kubiak were: "Sorry, Gary; but you just don't have the heart for this anymore."

(Too soon?)

Oh thats bad, real bad Roland...........................

That like having someone say having Jack Del Rio take over for John Fox was a Stroke of Genius.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
The only thing that has surprised me is just how far the Texans have fallen. They always had the look of a "just happy to be here" team when they made the playoffs, and the only reason they won games is because they were able to play at home against another one of those "just happy to be here" teams in Cincy both years. I figured they'd slip back in the pack and go 8-8, 9-7ish.

Kubiak being gone isn't all that surprising, since I didn't think the Texans would be able to take that next step with him as the HC (and with Schaub as the QB, frankly). Never felt either was more than average, and being average for too long is worse than having a few really bad years followed by great years due to the high draft picks.

rottweiler

Reaction score
Didn't. Even. See. It. Coming.

DavidSeven":1wclnb45 said:
Bevell to Houston would make no sense to me. They are like the same guy. So much so that it might make sense to bring Kubiak to Seattle if Bevell is hired somewhere else. Houston obviously wants to move in a new direction.

Especially since Houston utilizes zone-blocking in their schemes, too.

chris98251

Reaction score
I look to being poached heavily again this off season, we took a few hits last year and teams are going to milk us as long as were having success. We have a few people that I can see being of interest. Richard, Norton, Quinn, Bevell, Cable off the top of my head.

rottweiler

Reaction score
Mike Martz will in all likelihood be the guy Houston hires.

Imagine what Sid Gilman's offensive philosophy could do with the Texans.

If there's an NFL team out there right now that has well more than the necessary talent to go to a Super Bowl, it's them.

I don't have much doubt that "The Greatest Show on Turf" is about to come back, in a really big way.

Subzero717

Reaction score
rottweiler":1k2la0ov said:

DavidSeven":1k2la0ov said:

I think z bing is a Carroll thing. I don't think Minnesota ran zbing but I'm not sure.

I see Lovie or another former HC. They just had an OC HC and it didn't go all that great. And Bevell isn't going anywhere.

rottweiler

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2r0zv4qi said:
rottweiler":2r0zv4qi said:

DavidSeven":2r0zv4qi said:

I think z bing is a Carroll thing. I don't think Minnesota ran zbing but I'm not sure.

Correct, yeah.

My bad.

CALIHAWK":2r0zv4qi said:
I see Lovie or another former HC. They just had an OC HC and it didn't go all that great. And Bevell isn't going anywhere.

The Texans defense was — until this season — among the League leaders, though. Even with an OC for a HC.

I really think it all started to go downhill for the Texans in the offseason, when they lost Connor Barwin.

kearly

Reaction score
2011: Colts
2012: Chiefs
2013: Texans

If Bevell gets the job in Houston, you can just give him 2014 coach of the year with it. So much talent on that team when healthy, all they need is a QB. And they are about to get one.

Reading up, I see I am not even the 2nd person to call this.

RussellMania

Reaction score
If I were the Texans my first choice wouldn't be another offensive coordinator

kearly

Reaction score
We are protected from losing Bevell until the season is over, correct?

I'm not saying Bevell is the next Sean Payton, but if he isn't a head coach somewhere next year I'd be pretty surprised. Seattle's offense is the envy of the league, and they are doing it without the patented formula of true #1 stud WR plus top 5 draft pick QB.

He had job interviews last offseason, was a finalist once or twice. His stock has risen around the league since.

rottweiler

Reaction score
kearly":3obbqhqk said:
2011: Colts
2012: Chiefs
2013: Texans

If Bevell gets the job in Houston, you can just give him 2014 coach of the year with it. So much talent on that team when healthy, all they need is a QB. And they are about to get one.

I don't see the Texans taking a QB in the early rounds of the 2014 Draft.

The window is closing on that team, with the roster they have right now.

They will most likely grab a veteran free-agent QB, IMHO. Or if not a free-agent, a veteran for whom they can make a nice swap.

Patsy back-up QB Ryan Mallett comes to mind, for me.

Lotsa scouts thought Mallett was pro-ready the first day of the 2011 Draft. And now, he's had three years to learn from one of the game's all-time bests.

Ain't no tellin' what kinda trade the Krafts and Belicheat'd want for him, though.

CANHawk

Reaction score
rottweiler":e7zhdkpa said:

If there's an NFL team out there right now that has well more than the necessary talent to go to a Super Bowl, it's them.

I don't have much doubt that "The Greatest Show on Turf" is about to come back, in a really big way.

Eww, yuck. Why would anyone hire Mike Martz?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
I doubt Bevell gets poached if we are in the Super Bowl. I thought Roman would be poached last year after his work with Krap etc etc, but no one wanted to wait until after the Bowl to hire him. If we miss the Bowl, we've probably lost him.

rottweiler

Reaction score
CANHawk":1klf6fr1 said:
rottweiler":1klf6fr1 said:

Eww, yuck. Why would anyone hire Mike Martz?

'Cause he's an offensive wizard from the Sid Gilman/ Don Coryell coaching tree, and this Texans offense has right now at this very moment the offensive weaponry to look just like the 80s Chargers/ early 2000s Rams.

The Texans would be a crazy scary team with Mike Martz at the helm

They don't have much time left to do it, either. Thanks to the salary cap and other arbitration issues, this ain't the 80s no more. The window is closing quickly on the Texans.

They have to hire somebody who can get it done for them on offense RIGHT NOW.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kearly":it9s5z7g said:
We are protected from losing Bevell until the season is over, correct?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1011 ... g-his-team

Bleacher Report":it9s5z7g said:
Players can’t talk to other teams during the season. Why should coaches?

The NFL does have rules in place to minimize distractions caused by assistant coaches interviewing, but they are not designed to stop it completely.

Coaches are not allowed to interview during the regular season, but teams can request permission from a coach’s current team for an interview during the postseason.

Teams are also allowed to interview coaches from playoff teams during the Wild Card Week if the coach’s current team has a bye week, as is the case with Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin.

Latest posts