Jamie Collins, the Russell Wilson eraser

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2jpvazek said:
. I don't see Brady getting pressured. So how does your superiority at DL amount to an advantage?

DL is just as much about stopping the run as it is creating pressure.

Do you know the worst team in the league in 2014 at stopping explosive rushing plays, you guessed it, the Pats. Do you know the team with the most explosive rushing plays? You guessed right again, the Hawks.

Teams can run on the Pats, especially teams as committed to the run like the Hawks.

The Pats can also rush, but the only teams that have given the Hawks defense problems is teams like Dallas and KC with big physical O-lines and elite RB's that can hit the hole quickly. Your best RB was just acquired off the scrap heap.

So that leaves Brady passing, and there's nothing the Hawks love more than a one dimensional pocket passer forced to pass.

kearly

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2mn2esbx said:
But if you wanna go down the positional list, the Hawks do get the checkmark with most of the matchups........except for maybe QB, coach and WR's. Even those are debatable.

My opinion?

D Line: Hawks
LB's: Hawks
DB's: Hawks
RB: Hawks
O-Line: Draw
Special Teams: Draw
WR: Pats (including TE's)
Coach: slight edge to Belichick
QB: Draw (Russell is not Brady, but he's ever bit as effective)

The Patriots OL and ST are way better than Seattle's right now. DL/LB is difficult to compare due to the scheme differences.

Besides that, football is about matchups. It doesn't matter how Wilson matches up against Brady, it matters how he (and his weapons) match up against the Pats defense, and vice versa.

I was surprised to learn that football outsiders actually gives a very slight edge to New England in this game, though that's probably because the performances in the Championship round massively skew weighted DVOA in the Patriots favor.

That said I think it's pretty obvious that Seattle is the better team, and they also win more matchups than they lose. Anyone that thinks New England's offense matches up well with our defense has no idea what they are in for.

CANHawk

Reaction score
C'mon guys, take it easy on the OP. He's used to watching AFC football. I'm sure in that conference this Collins lady is actually a heckuva little linebacker. He doesn't quite realize that Russell has been carving through man sized NFC linebackers for years.

Laloosh

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":25o8s1uc said:
kearly":25o8s1uc said:
Jamie Collins is more or less the same kind of player that Conor Barwin was. Remember when the press thought Barwin would shut down Wilson a couple months ago? Yeah, didn't work out so well for them. Collins won't either with his 4.64 speed.

That's not to say Collins isn't good, but if you want to contain Wilson you are going to need Luke Kuechly type speed.

Wilson's ability to run vs. the Patriots slow front seven is the Seahawks biggest edge offensively in this game.

Collins will have no trouble at all bringing down Wilson if it's the 2 of them in the open field. He's like a bald eagle corralling his prey, with an amazing closing burst, huge wingspan, and impossible to juke. He's a bad man out there.

Did you just use a bald eagle analogy? I take back what I said, you're not allowed to start threads...

kearly

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":1ddomfd3 said:
Collins will have no trouble at all bringing down Wilson if it's the 2 of them in the open field. He's like a bald eagle corralling his prey, with an amazing closing burst, huge wingspan, and impossible to juke. He's a bad man out there.

4.55 vs. 4.64. Do the Math Pats fan. Remember when Kaepernick ran all over your team's ass in 2012? Expect that kind of game plan from Seattle. Your D is better now than it was then, but still way too slow.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
Strongside":17mr3t5v said:
The spy role will be used and is useful. However, the most important part of containing a mobile QB is lane discipline, edge rushers keeping contain and not getting sucked inside, and a pass rush that's aware of not getting to far up field. BB tends to almost go overboard on this which should give Wilson plenty of time to make plays with his arm. In the past few years pats coverage has been spotty so this would kill them but this year they are banking on being able to hold up a bit better. I' guess its more of a pick your poison. Can't stop everything.

The problem with the 'stay in your gap' strategy against our particular brand of RO is that it requires the defender in that gap to consistently make 1 on 1 tackles against Lynch, who is the most prolific tackle-breaking running back the NFL has seen in a long time. Lynch will break 1 on 1 tackles, and if there is no help you will get Beastquaked. Tackling Lynch demands help from the outside, and eventually you will get burned by Wilson keepers. Just count on it.

sc85sis

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":297bj4t9 said:
bigDhawk":297bj4t9 said:
Chawks1":297bj4t9 said:
50yrpatsfan":297bj4t9 said:
DavidSeven said:
Prisco isn't an analyst. He uses preschool X&Os littered with confirmation bias to hide the fact he's a huge Cardinals fanboy. Not to take away from Collins, but Seattle has played better linebackers and had success.

They haven't played anyone like Collins because there isn't anyone like him. His range and quickness are ridiculous, but his biggest thing is that when it's him and the runner in space, that guy is going down.

You realize Collins is slow. Runs a 4.64 40. Russell runs a 4.55 forty and practices against Bobby Wagner who runs a 4.46 40. We also,played against Clay Mathews and Luke Kuechly, both run faster than Collins. Bring it on.

And Bruce Irvin:
6'3"
245#
4.50 - 40

Jamie Collins:
6'3"
250#
4.64 - 40

Russell sees better than Collins in practice every day.

Boy you guys really like your defense.

Bottom line is that NE's defense is going to limit Wilson and that offense. They are not a terrible offense, but Green Bay exposed them. Most of those INT's were not physical errors on RW's part, but mental errors, he's not understanding what he's seeing. Belichick will capitalize on that big time. Collins is a really nice chess piece in that strategy.

Hall of Fame QB Warren Moon disagrees with you. He stated on ESPN radio that the two throws Russell threw for picks (not the two that bounced off the receiver's hands) were bad throws, not bad decisions. Both needed more mustard on them because of the high wind conditions.

Chawks1

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3npeyd0t said:
Laloosh":3npeyd0t said:
50yrpatsfan":3npeyd0t said:
Boy you guys really like your defense.

Bottom line is that NE's defense is going to limit Wilson and that offense. They are not a terrible offense, but Green Bay exposed them. Most of those INT's were not physical errors on RW's part, but mental errors, he's not understanding what he's seeing. Belichick will capitalize on that big time. Collins is a really nice chess piece in that strategy.

Two picks off the hands of the receiver are hardly "mental errors" but let's assume that you aren't completely wrong about that. Allow your confidence to grow based on the worst performance (and simultaneously the best) in his short career. Assume that Green Bay's defense exposed him and he doesn't understand what he's seeing (go watch the game winning TD, result of a check out of a run play due to his read on the defense that he predicted he'd see before the drive).

While you're at the grocery store the day before the game, pick up a box of tissues and some antacids. You're going to need them.

Yeah but one of those was a QB error. There was only one that was on the receiver, the rest were all Wilson. For a guy I thought was an excellent game manager who played risk-free ball, that was shocking.

His late game heroics won't matter this week after he makes similar mistakes, cause the Pats special teams aren't going to gift wrap you another game.

Wait, the thread is titled Jamie Collins, the Russell Wilson Eraser. Once we proved that wrong your game plan now is that you are counting on Russell Wilson repeating that he had his worst game ever? Granted RW played terrible. But he only had 7 interceptions all season. I guarantee you he will NOT have similar results against your team. BTW Green Bay has a better QB than you guys and he scored 6 points off of 5 turnovers.

It truly is an eye opener to see that East Coast teams, fans, and the press really don't follow the Seahawks. Everytime we have won the past 2 years seems to be purily luck.

Chawks1

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3vni1rca said:
kearly":3vni1rca said:
Jamie Collins is more or less the same kind of player that Conor Barwin was. Remember when the press thought Barwin would shut down Wilson a couple months ago? Yeah, didn't work out so well for them. Collins won't either with his 4.64 speed.

That's not to say Collins isn't good, but if you want to contain Wilson you are going to need Luke Kuechly type speed.

Wilson's ability to run vs. the Patriots slow front seven is the Seahawks biggest edge offensively in this game.

But Wilson doesn't take hits. If you have seen him actually play a game you will notice he goes down before contact. This game will open your eyes.

OP
OP

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
kearly":2m8d8krd said:
50yrpatsfan":2m8d8krd said:

4.55 vs. 4.64. Do the Math Pats fan. Remember when Kaepernick ran all over your team's ass in 2012? Expect that kind of game plan from Seattle. Your D is better now than it was then, but still way too slow.

The only guy who'd I consider a little slow is Nink, but he's a smart player and effective pash rusher. The DT's Wilfork and Siliga are beefy but pretty athletic. Jones is a beast DE, Hightower does it all at LB, the db's have typical speed.

You've invented this "slow" rap, have not heard that all year.

marko358

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2xtfk98r said:

By AFC standards he might be fast but our team speed will be eye opening on Sunday.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3r7sbq32 said:
The only guy who'd I consider a little slow is Nink, but he's a smart player and effective pash rusher. The DT's Wilfork and Siliga are beefy but pretty athletic. Jones is a beast DE, Hightower does it all at LB, the db's have typical speed.

Siliga was in training camp for us last year and wasn't good enough to make our squad. Good enough for yours apparently. I watched your division round game against Baltimore and all I could think of was, "Wow, these two teams are really, reeeeeeeeeeeeally slow." I'm used to watching the team speed of our defense and the defenses of our division. Watching the team speed of AFC football was a stark contrast. Just go back and watch SB XLVIII again for an example of that kind of disparity.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":odt63sxa said:

Here's probably the biggest philosophical difference between Pete and Belichick.

Belichick believes in confusing and scheming circles around his opponent to the point of exhaustion. Which obviously works, but it also slows down a team, especially on defense because when a player has so much to think about........"am I in the right gap, am I showing too early, am I at the perfect depth we talked about, am I in the right zone for this look", on and on.

Pete's defensive schemes are just base looks, mostly cover one. That's it. But when you have superior athletes that are faster and more physical than your opponent it allows them to play fast because they're not thinking about anything except for attacking the ball.

That's why all the confusing formations and looks won't bother the Hawks, because they don't care.

lobohawk

Reaction score
More concerned about pressure up the middle from someone like Wilfork.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":3delw004 said:

Ahwww...look at the cute little AFC football fan getting all excited about a defensive player with a shred of talent, like he's never seen that before. Here is a Alex Okafor, an arguably better comp than your Jamie Collins vs. Russell Wilson in the open field...with a CB comparable to anything on your squad thrown in:

8a2ef0049ff6fd16265e1d5424b6f416.gif

Oh, and this is what a REAL bad man looks like...

Kam Chancellor 082052

Bottom line, don't try to impress fans of the Seattle Seahawks defense with your little 'chess piece'. Get that weak stuff out of here. You will not out-physical us. If you win this game you will have to out-finesse us, which Denver found out last year is a long row to hoe.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
lobohawk":15uos5de said:
More concerned about pressure up the middle from someone like Wilfork.

Because he has 16 career sacks in 11 seasons? :shock:

I don't understand your concern.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
The Patriots = Oregon
The Seahawks = Alabama circa 2011-2012

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Marshawn Lynch is the Jamie Collins eraser.

Collins was getting absolutely manhandled in the running game against the Ravens. If he continues to have issues shedding blocks and taking correct angles, Beast Mode is going to make Collins look foolish once again.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
I can't wait until the game gets here. Russell is very dangerous. I'm glad Patriots fans are thinking he's going to make the same mistakes like it was against Green Bay.

Latest posts