Jahri Evans signed

xgeoff

Reaction score
hawknation2016":3cc57vf1 said:
If last year taught us anything Tom Cable will pick a random line combo to start the season that will lead to a few head scratching losses. Then put in a more logical one after week 8.

Right now my best guess is this.

LT Gilliam
LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Evans
RT Ifedi

Exactly, what he said...

xgeoff

Reaction score
Jville":1biu2d13 said:
Evans on the field
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]

Hey it's a George Fant sighting! Salk loves George Fant...

kearly

Reaction score
I saw Fant in person during the 12 tour not long ago. He definitely looks like an NFL tackle based on his build.

Looking at the picture in that tweet, it seems like we have a lot of broad shouldered, top heavy, athletic looking OL right now. The protection might be as bad as ever, but the picture above is exactly what an elite run blocking line should look like physically.

Fade

Reaction score
The end of Pete Carroll's post scrimmage comments on Sunday were telling. He said that he wants to leave Ifedi at RG for now, but he plans to give him reps at RT before training camp is over.

Parsing Pete I take that as once they get Jahri Evans acclimated to the team, then they will look at Ifedi at RT.

mikeak

Reaction score
jammerhawk":scgmvvoh said:
Anyone seen any salary numbers?

According to Spotrac he is playing for free!!!!

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... hri-evans/

:) it could also possibly mean that nothing has been released yet. They are pretty much updating those as soon as something is released. Almost made think before they have someone in the NFL office that does it for them......

Fade

Reaction score
The end of Pete Carroll's post scrimmage comments on Sunday were telling. He said that he wants to leave Ifedi at RG for now, but he plans to give him reps at RT before training camp is over.

Parsing Pete I take it that once they get Jahri Evans acclimated to the team, then they will look at Ifedi at RT.

EXACT QUOTES
On if Pete wants to get a look at Ifedi at right tackle at some point: Um, that may come up here down the road a little bit but not right now. We're gonna really dig in with him at right guard but we certainly know he can do that but we just don't want to confuse the issue right now. We really want to get him to focus but before camp is over he'll play some right tackle for us. To check him out.

-->For those that think Jahri is just going to be a backup, predominately at LG.

On what Evans in this short amount of time has to show Pete to make an impact: Just play ball. Play ball. It's not really a short time, he missed a few days of camp so we'll have a long time to figure it out we'll not rush to this one at all. He's gotta get into our kind of shape and get ready. He's been sitting at home and we go at a pretty good clip here so we'll see how it works out. I think it is a real interesting opportunity for us to bring him in. He has not been told he is the starter or anything like that. He's been brought in to compete hoping he will add to a level of our play.

On if Pete projects Evans at left guard which he was at today: He has been a career right guard. We're going to make sure we see him at left guard and develop that so we see what kind of flexibility that we have. He will also play right guard in his attempt to compete and all that. I don't think it would be fair to leave him at left guard the whole time with all the background he has had playing on the other side. We'll look at him at both and we'll start him on the left side to get that going and see what that looks like.

McGruff

Reaction score
Jville":38jbl4ax said:
Evans on the field

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762381203701846016[/tweet]

Fant has put on considerable weight, and mostly in the bubble. Thats a good thing.

ivotuk

Reaction score
kearly":2iwzteqg said:
Fade":2iwzteqg said:
W-L
Nowak 2-4 w/Wilson sacked 27 times. Prorated for 72 sacks over 16 games.
Lewis 8-2 w/Wilson sacked 18 times. (4 in Lewis' 1st start) after that only 14 in 9 games. Prorated for 25 sacks over 16 games.

72 vs 25.

Lewis settled down the line, he is not a world beater by any means, but he is steady. He could call the protections. When Nowak was in there Russell had to handle the protections.

Now Cable is trying to force Britt at the position after Britt failed at 2 others in 2 years. There is already so much turnover across the O-Line. Why not keep your same center who has won 80% of the games he has started the last 2 years, and let the other players at their new positions settle in, then mid year open up competition at the position when you feel good about the other 4 spots?

Surely you can understand the apprehension from the fan base & media who cover the Seahawks to go down this road again. (Going with an inexperienced Center.)

Good post.

Throwing Nowak into the deep end of the pool was pure hubris by Cable. I hope he's learned his lesson.

The current center group isn't very good, but at least all three contenders for the job have a (relative to last year) decent amount of experience (Britt is new at center, but has many years of experience playing OL, and Hunt is savvy by rookie standards). Nowak didn't even have much experience playing OL when Cable tapped him on the shoulder.

Ditto, excellent post Fade. I don't know why Cable won't put Britt as a back up and make the Center competition between the 2 people that we KNOW can play C, Patrick Lewis and Joey Hunt.

Let Justin grow and learn as a backup, because if he struggles at C, you're going to destroy the man's self-confidence and ruin a perfectly good player out of arrogance. Overdrafted, handed the RT spot where he was eaten alive, handed a guard spot where he looked out of his element, and now handed the center spot. "Wow! handed a starting position 3 years in a row, and you still suck!"

Personally, I think Hunt could be a really good Center. Even better than Saturday who was made to look good by Peyton Manning. Jeff was good, but everyone on the Colts offense looked great with manning at the helm. Of course, Russell and the running backs are going to make this Oline look good, but I really like the idea of a shorter Center in front of RW.

I think Carroll has given Tom Cable too much leeway and fallen for his overly optimistic prognostications. Then with the offensive success provided by Russell and Marshawn, the overconfidence has given them wild ideas of their own abilities to coach. But it all comes back to the reality of the "Number 1 overall Atlanta Falcons running game!" An elusive QB opens things up for the running back and the rushing numbers get over-inflated, along with some egos.

They need to separate the yards gained by the QB to get a more realistic view of the blocking success. They need to come back down to the reality of the shit Oline, but more likely, like Kearly noted, there will probably be some Unskilled Seahawk Olinemen in the Pro Bowl and our Coaching staff will incorrectly attribute it to their own abilities.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
ivotuk":3rz1qz9j said:
kearly":3rz1qz9j said:
Fade":3rz1qz9j said:
W-L
Lewis 8-2 w/Wilson sacked 18 times. (4 in Lewis' 1st start) after that only 14 in 9 games. Prorated for 25 sacks over 16 games.

72 vs 25.

Lewis settled down the line, he is not a world beater by any means, but he is steady. He could call the protections. When Nowak was in there Russell had to handle the protections.

Now Cable is trying to force Britt at the position after Britt failed at 2 others in 2 years. There is already so much turnover across the O-Line. Why not keep your same center who has won 80% of the games he has started the last 2 years, and let the other players at their new positions settle in, then mid year open up competition at the position when you feel good about the other 4 spots?

Surely you can understand the apprehension from the fan base & media who cover the Seahawks to go down this road again. (Going with an inexperienced Center.)

Good post.

Throwing Nowak into the deep end of the pool was pure hubris by Cable. I hope he's learned his lesson.

The current center group isn't very good, but at least all three contenders for the job have a (relative to last year) decent amount of experience (Britt is new at center, but has many years of experience playing OL, and Hunt is savvy by rookie standards). Nowak didn't even have much experience playing OL when Cable tapped him on the shoulder.

Ditto, excellent post Fade. I don't know why Cable won't put Britt as a back up and make the Center competition between the 2 people that we KNOW can play C, Patrick Lewis and Joey Hunt.

Let Justin grow and learn as a backup, because if he struggles at C, you're going to destroy the man's self-confidence and ruin a perfectly good player out of arrogance. Overdrafted, handed the RT spot where he was eaten alive, handed a guard spot where he looked out of his element, and now handed the center spot. "Wow! handed a starting position 3 years in a row, and you still suck!"

Personally, I think Hunt could be a really good Center. Even better than Saturday who was made to look good by Peyton Manning. Jeff was good, but everyone on the Colts offense looked great with manning at the helm. Of course, Russell and the running backs are going to make this Oline look good, but I really like the idea of a shorter Center in front of RW.

I think Carroll has given Tom Cable too much leeway and fallen for his overly optimistic prognostications. Then with the offensive success provided by Russell and Marshawn, the overconfidence has given them wild ideas of their own abilities to coach. But it all comes back to the reality of the "Number 1 overall Atlanta Falcons running game!" An elusive QB opens things up for the running back and the rushing numbers get over-inflated, along with some egos.

They need to separate the yards gained by the QB to get a more realistic view of the blocking success. They need to come back down to the reality of the shit Oline, but more likely, like Kearly noted, there will probably be some Unskilled Seahawk Olinemen in the Pro Bowl and our Coaching staff will incorrectly attribute it to their own abilities.

I don't understand how Lewis could not be ahead of Britt on the depth chart but for now I do understand Hunt at this point.

Britt at least has NFL experience and on this line working under Cable. He should have a pretty firm grasp of the language and probably even line calls. He still needs to learn to snap and play the center position but compared to what Hunt has to learn it makes sense he would have an advantage at least for now.

Lewis really is the question mark and I don't know why he seems to always be in the dog house but it seems he should have more knowledge than Britt at this point as well as experience so it would make sense that he be the #1 with Britt and Hunt chasing him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Lewis doesn't have the measurables and they love their measurables, just look at the DBs

Gee Scott had some positive stuff to say about the OLine when on with Clayton. I like what he's doing now, he sounds more natural, and I believe he has a connection with the players so can get a feel for what's actually going on there.

JOHN CLAYTON

August 9, 2016 - Hour 1

......Gee Scott is behind the lines and discusses Russell Wilson's ranking on an ESPN article.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/category/ ... %20Clayton

Fade

Reaction score
Jahri Evans was a disaster today as a 3rd string LG. I wonder how long they will waste everyone's time by having him continue to play there. The man has spent his entire NFL life, 10 seasons playing RG at an extremely high level, maybe you should play him there. Keep him as a backup to start, but see if he can build up to being an adequate starter by the end of pre-season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SoftliSEA/status/763129811233562624[/tweet]
Softli obviously went much further in depth on air.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
This has me more excited than the Brian Habib and Tom Ashworth signings combined

kf3339

Reaction score
Fade":38403i5l said:
Jahri Evans was a disaster today as a 3rd string LG. I wonder how long they will waste everyone's time by having him continue to play there. The man has spent his entire NFL life, 10 seasons playing RG at an extremely high level, maybe you should play him there. Keep him as a backup to start, but see if he can build up to being an adequate starter by the end of pre-season.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SoftliSEA/status/763129811233562624[/tweet]
Softli obviously went much further in depth on air.

This is Cable and/or PC's idea of instilling competition and flexibility with the O-linemen to the point of stupid. If you ask me it doesn't make sense to bring him in unless he is going to be the main potential starter at RG where he played his whole career. I know some will crap on this observation, but I don't give a shit.

Often times Cable gets too caught up in his stubborn ideas and has no real capability to see the mistake until it is too late. The problem though is that PC doesn't call him on it.

Of course if Evans looks like complete crap at RG then they should cut him before the season starts. But I don't think that would be the case at all.

kf3339

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2r3lhj7j said:
ivotuk":2r3lhj7j said:
kearly":2r3lhj7j said:
Fade":2r3lhj7j said:
W-L

72 vs 25.

Good post.

I don't understand how Lewis could not be ahead of Britt on the depth chart but for now I do understand Hunt at this point.

Britt at least has NFL experience and on this line working under Cable. He should have a pretty firm grasp of the language and probably even line calls. He still needs to learn to snap and play the center position but compared to what Hunt has to learn it makes sense he would have an advantage at least for now.

Lewis really is the question mark and I don't know why he seems to always be in the dog house but it seems he should have more knowledge than Britt at this point as well as experience so it would make sense that he be the #1 with Britt and Hunt chasing him.

Cable has had a problem with Lewis pretty much from his arrival on this team. If he had his way I bet he would already be gone so there was no chance to keep him from starting Britt at center. I also have a strong feeling Hunt was not on his radar and it was the scouts that made the push for him in the draft. Remember they talked about Cable working out our first two O-line draft picks before the draft, but nothing about Hunt. He is forcing Britt as the starter this season. We will lose another couple games because of it at the start. Just wait and see.

Fade

Reaction score
kf3339":2lhj8815 said:
This is Cable and/or PC's idea of instilling competition and flexibility with the O-linemen to the point of stupid. If you ask me it doesn't make sense to bring him in unless he is going to be the main potential starter at RG where he played his whole career. I know some will crap on this observation, but I don't give a shit.

Often times Cable gets too caught up in his stubborn ideas and has no real capability to see the mistake until it is too late. The problem though is that PC doesn't call him on it.

Of course if Evans looks like complete crap at RG then they should cut him before the season starts. But I don't think that would be the case at all.

Agreed. You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Let him play at RG, and give him the chance to show his ability.

McGruff

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":2h1x0dnu said:
This has me more excited than the Brian Habib and Tom Ashworth signings combined

Almost as good as Robert Gallery and Eric Winston!

King Dog

Reaction score
bigskydoc":27lnnbq0 said:
Jville":27lnnbq0 said:
Evans on the field

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]]

Geez, did Odihambo skip leg day?

Literally anyone's calves look small compared to Sokoli's

jhern87

Reaction score
Just heard Webb will likely be cut due to being out of shape.. Wonder if Evans was brought it in for RG and then they'll move Ifedi to RT? Who knows.

McGruff

Reaction score
jhern87":2s5iqqst said:
Just heard Webb will likely be cut due to being out of shape.. Wonder if Evans was brought it in for RG and then they'll move Ifedi to RT? Who knows.

Source?

Cutting Webb would be a considerable cap hit, but that hasn't stopped them before . . .

Latest posts