Jahri Evans signed

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
In the conversation he had with Softy, think he said much the same in the vid at sh.com on Saturday, Cable sounded unaware about anything-Evans except that the guy had been in the building earlier. And so this could have come from the FO, and as a surprise to Cable.

It's just hard to imagine that 10xProBowler Evans won't be the obvious starting RG soon. What position mayhem does that cause? Who really cares, especially among the rookies.

edit, interesting enough vid clip
http://m.neworleanssaints.com/media-cen ... b556064530

dogorama

Reaction score
Fade":2nb3vvvf said:
sdog1981":2nb3vvvf said:
If last year taught us anything Tom Cable will pick a random line combo to start the season that will lead to a few head scratching losses. Then put in a more logical one after week 8.

Right now my best guess is this.

LT Gilliam
LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Evans
RT Ifedi
You would be correct with that lineup, but I'm hoping Cable can come to his senses and start Patrick Lewis at the Center spot. I think the fan base will riot if Britt looks awful in the pre-season, and he is still starting come week 1. My gut feeling is he will have a quick hook, but you never know with how stubborn Cable can be.

For me, this is make or break for Cable, either he comes off as a very clever coach who can meld a group of marginally talented offensive linemen into a cohesive unit OR a grandiose megalomaniac who is downright reckless. I know that sounds severe but the first half of last year was a train wreck.

kearly

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":pfm27100 said:
Well Denver might have a really good defense but Mark Sánchez. I see Denver's best case scenario as being good enough to reach the AFCC but that's a big reach.

Good point.

That plus our QB isn't a choker like Cam.

El Caliente

Reaction score
As a Saints fan, I am happy that Evans found a landing spot. He isn't as good as he once was, but he is good every once and a while. If Cable's job depends on the oline panning out, and the oline is counting on Evans for anything more than leadership, than Cable is being set up behind the 8 ball. Evans has dropped off heavy from where he was even 3 years ago. His play is night and day different from what his name might make one believe. You should hope that he can help coach up your young kids, because that is one thing he did with our young guards.

I am not sure how you guys use your guards. In NO we use the guards like tackles, and count on them heavily. That said, it is telling how far Evans has fallen given that we let him go with no proven replacement.

I wish him luck, and I wish you guys luck (except for when you guys come to New Orleans).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":3kdf6a58 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3kdf6a58 said:
Well Denver might have a really good defense but Mark Sánchez. I see Denver's best case scenario as being good enough to reach the AFCC but that's a big reach.

Good point.

That plus our QB isn't a choker like Cam.
After calming down and trying to walk in your shoes I'm very happy that I may fit yours and you might might fit mine. It'll never happen(hope I'm wrong) given you're a foot taller then me. But you've nailed my point... football is all about the sum of the parts not the actual parts. That's the reason why I keep telling you guys to relax a bit about the OL situation. Be worried but don't panic yet.

jhern87

Reaction score
Whether this means that the coaches aren't happy with the OL so far or they're just looking for depth, I'm happy they're actively looking to improve the weakest part of this team from last year.

kf3339

Reaction score
El Caliente":1fbnbqbz said:
As a Saints fan, I am happy that Evans found a landing spot. He isn't as good as he once was, but he is good every once and a while. If Cable's job depends on the oline panning out, and the oline is counting on Evans for anything more than leadership, than Cable is being set up behind the 8 ball. Evans has dropped off heavy from where he was even 3 years ago. His play is night and day different from what his name might make one believe. You should hope that he can help coach up your young kids, because that is one thing he did with our young guards.

I am not sure how you guys use your guards. In NO we use the guards like tackles, and count on them heavily. That said, it is telling how far Evans has fallen given that we let him go with no proven replacement.

I wish him luck, and I wish you guys luck (except for when you guys come to New Orleans).

You let him go because he wouldn't take a pay cut. Stop trying to make it sound like it was because he no longer could play the game. Worry about your own team.

chris98251

Reaction score
kf3339":19d3n6t9 said:
El Caliente":19d3n6t9 said:

You let him go because he wouldn't take a pay cut. Stop trying to make it sound like it was because he no longer could play the game. Worry about your own team.

Don't discount his opinion, there are reasons they asked him to take a pay cut, if nothing else it gives us things to look for in his play to make a determination ourselves.

dogorama

Reaction score
kf3339":22fs9dvf said:
El Caliente":22fs9dvf said:

I appreciate his input, and I thought he was pretty respectful, no reason to diss him.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":fraip9a0 said:
In the conversation he had with Softy, think he said much the same in the vid at sh.com on Saturday, Cable sounded unaware about anything-Evans except that the guy had been in the building earlier. And so this could have come from the FO, and as a surprise to Cable.

It's just hard to imagine that 10xProBowler Evans won't be the obvious starting RG soon. What position mayhem does that cause? Who really cares, especially among the rookies.

edit, interesting enough vid clip
http://m.neworleanssaints.com/media-cen ... b556064530

Except for the fact that he has regressed and is coming off of a knee injury.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kf3339":edmcl2an said:
El Caliente":edmcl2an said:

That is incorrect. He speaks the truth.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Fully admit to not reading this entire thread, but this might also indicate that they've seen enough from Vannett and are that high on his blocking to kick Ifedi out and give him a Zach Millerish TE (one can dream) for help, man this is going to be a fun preseason!

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I can't quite see a downside to this specific move.

I think there are two views on it insofar that it is an indication of how our offensive line is progressing.

One is that this is a canary in a coal mine, in that we wouldn't been signing this guy if our offensive line looked good and this is a desperation move.

The second is that they are delighted with Ifedi and want him at tackle leaving a bit of a gap at right guard. Considering our massive issues with interior pass protection, and Ifedi was supposed to help with that but will now slide out, it became incumbent upon our front office to improve the interior compared to last year.

I tend to believe that it is the second and count me in the camp that wanted to sign Evans earlier in free agency so I am quite happy we were able to get him here. This could be a low risk-high upside signing for 2-3 years.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Could it be the move is designed to place a very experienced guard to help out a very green center?

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2x3obzm7 said:
LeftHandSmoke":2x3obzm7 said:
warden":2x3obzm7 said:
This time will continue making roster moves until they get it right, this philosophy has achieved four straight double digit win seasons. I love this move especially at this time of year

Long time reader, first time poster, is there a rookie hazing that happens?

Love this pick, the guy may very well be the best OL we have now on the roster.
Yes you have to do the "new shoes" dance. While singing "new shoes, new shoes" at the top of your lungs. 8)

All kidding aside, Welcome! :2thumbs:
Done! Thanks

Does this forum-board have a View Mobile display option hidden somewhere? It's a pia on a phone.

Watched an ESPN video report from back when the Saints released Evans, it sounded like the big thing was cap problems.

iigakusei

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":onu2o3qz said:
I am getting the sense that our OL is going to be a mess. Again.

The Dolphins and Rams D lines are going to be licking their chops.

Sure looks that way. I for one will be pleasantly surprised if our OL is anything but a trainwreck in pre-season.

Willyeye

Reaction score
dogorama":zutgl5ms said:
Fade":zutgl5ms said:
sdog1981":zutgl5ms said:
If last year taught us anything Tom Cable will pick a random line combo to start the season that will lead to a few head scratching losses. Then put in a more logical one after week 8.

Right now my best guess is this.

LT Gilliam
LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Evans
RT Ifedi
You would be correct with that lineup, but I'm hoping Cable can come to his senses and start Patrick Lewis at the Center spot. I think the fan base will riot if Britt looks awful in the pre-season, and he is still starting come week 1. My gut feeling is he will have a quick hook, but you never know with how stubborn Cable can be.

For me, this is make or break for Cable, either he comes off as a very clever coach who can meld a group of marginally talented offensive linemen into a cohesive unit OR a grandiose megalomaniac who is downright reckless. I know that sounds severe but the first half of last year was a train wreck.

I think blaming Cable or Nowak for the O-Line performance in the first half of the season last year is an oversimplification. I know it's just PFF, but Nowak was actually graded higher than Lewis last year. I'm not saying that Nowak is a great Center, but I don't believe Lewis has a high ceiling either...I feel that maybe his play-calling was suspect just like Nowak's. I believe that if Lewis had been our Center for the first half of the season, the line would have looked just as bad. There are just too many mitigating circumstances to blame it all on Nowak. The schedule was exponentially tougher in the first half of the season. Once Lewis came in, the quality of the defenses they faced went way down. And when they played teams with great D-Lines or Front 7's, the results weren't really any different than in the first half. The Rams and Panthers made them look really bad, and yes, LEWIS WAS AT CENTER. And then there's the fact that Bevell changed things up, and used a lot more quick release plays in the second half of the season. And I think Wilson responded well to that change. But to think that Lewis is a great Center and the O-Line was perfect with Lewis in it is actually silly.