Jahri Evans signed

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RichNhansom":g30a4kro said:
Hasselbeck":g30a4kro said:
Fingers crossed that he takes Webb's spot on the line.

Only if Ifedi kicks out to tackle but if so then yes.

I digress. Evans is a monster run blocker and if Ifedi is doing as well as the reports have said he is, suddenly your interior line is pretty strong - and possibly even better if Lewis/Hunt win the center gig from Britt.

Gilliam and Webb/whoever they trot out at RT give me very uneasy feelings in my stomach though. This OL is going to be an adventure yet again.

warden

Reaction score
This time will continue making roster moves until they get it right, this philosophy has achieved four straight double digit win seasons. I love this move especially at this time of year

chris98251

Reaction score
This front office errors on the side of over signing versus waiting, sure it costs money but they keep things moving forward, they will cut losses when they have the pieces in place they feel will work through the season. Better to try and fail then not try at all. I think they learned last year with Williams not to have a Cancer or a hole in their system and hold it to long as well.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I'm good with trying anything that cuts down the sacks into the low 30's and stops the Rams and in particular Aaron Donald from killing Wilson.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
warden":2lsutq4n said:
This time will continue making roster moves until they get it right, this philosophy has achieved four straight double digit win seasons. I love this move especially at this time of year

Long time reader, first time poster, is there a rookie hazing that happens?

Love this pick, the guy may very well be the best OL we have now on the roster.

chris98251

Reaction score
Most I have heard from this team is that the Rookies carry Vets equipment, I am sure there is some others but very limited, this team tries to make new players feel at home and encourages involvement and teaching them how to be Pro's right out of the gate.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
impacthawk":2hn9cvyf said:
A veteran guard in between a rookie RT in Ifedi and a somewhat suspect new center in Britt is the best case scenario I think at this point.
I agree, but we have so many other strength's that weaknesses should be expected.
We will be fine.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Perhaps Evans will be tried at LG if they prefer keeping Ifedi at RG. Glowinski could also probably add some competition at RT. He has played solely on the right side of the line until this off-season, seems to have decent agility, decent length, doesn't look like a bad pass protector, and he's a pretty physical run blocker.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":19xuf13n said:
warden":19xuf13n said:

Yes you have to do the "new shoes" dance. While singing "new shoes, new shoes" at the top of your lungs. 8)

All kidding aside, Welcome! :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":5d6n6bdp said:
warden":5d6n6bdp said:

On another note I do remember the Vets somehow putting a rookies name on Holmgrens parking spot when he coached, Holmgren was not amused to say the least............

hawknation2016

Reaction score
As the Seattle Times' Bob Condotta notes, Evans has 153 career starts. The rest of the Seahawks' line has 136, combined.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... nsive-line

All 153 of Evans' starts have come at right guard. Would he be willing to adapt to left guard in order to allow the rookie to settle in at right guard? This may settle the old adage of whether an old dog can learn new tricks.

Dream offensive line two deep that will probably never happen:

LT - Gilliam, Sowell
LG - Evans, Odhiambo
C - Hunt, Lewis
RG - Ifedi, Britt
RT - Glowinski, Webb

Hunt gives them a savvy pass protector inside, flanked by two beastly athletes who excel as run blockers - one rookie first rounder and one potential future HoFer. Gilliam gives them a freak athlete at LT, who has gotten a lot stronger and now has a year of starting experience under his belt. That leaves everyone else to battle it out at RT. Glowinski might be a little better in pass pro than Webb, so who knows? Poole might make the team over Sowell. Britt looked better at RT as a rookie than he did at LG in his second year, so perhaps switch Britt and Glowinski? In this scenario, one of either Britt or Glowinski would start at RT and the other would play the utility role, capable of filling in at multiple positions as needed.

LT - Gilliam, Sowell
LG - Evans, Odhiambo
C - Hunt, Lewis
RG - Ifedi, Glowinski
RT - Britt, Webb

This line could play out in any number of ways. But I do think there is an advantage to keeping Ifedi at RG.

This line just got injected with much needed experience and veteran leadership, which makes me a lot more hopeful for what is to come.

chris98251

Reaction score
They may try Evans there, but I think he's RG, Ifedi was brought in as a Tackle with a pit stop at RG, if Webb isn't cutting it and Evans is a RG before we get to far along they may just move Ifedi to RT so he gets the nuances now, he was holding his own at RG. 32 year old players tend to not want to be as flexible as young guys and his habits are ingrained in him, re learning a position is a waste I think at this point.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
chris98251":2r0kvs5g said:
They may try Evans there, but I think he's RG, Ifedi was brought in as a Tackle with a pit stop at RG, if Webb isn't cutting it and Evans is a RG before we get to far along they may just move Ifedi to RT so he gets the nuances now, he was holding his own at RG. 32 year old players tend to not want to be as flexible as young guys and his habits are ingrained in him, re learning a position is a waste I think at this point.

I could see that, but it would be unfortunate to disrupt the learning process for Ifedi at guard. Worst case scenario is Ifedi stuck behind Evans all season or vice versa; that would seem a waste.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2016":32io1fhu said:
As the Seattle Times' Bob Condotta notes, Evans has 153 career starts. The rest of the Seahawks' line has 136, combined.

All 153 of Evans' starts have come at right guard. Would he be willing to adapt to left guard in order to allow the rookie to settle in at right guard? This may settle the old adage of whether an old dog can learn new tricks.

LT - Gilliam, Sowell
LG - Evans, Odhiambo
C - Hunt, Lewis
RG - Ifedi, Britt
RT - Glowinski, Webb

Hunt gives them a savvy pass protector inside, flanked by two beastly athletes who excel as run blockers - one rookie first rounder and one potential future HoFer. Gilliam gives them a freak athlete at LT, who has gotten a lot stronger and now has a year of starting experience under his belt. That leaves everyone else to battle it out at RT. Glowinski might be a little better in pass pro than Webb, so who knows? Poole might make the team over Sowell. Britt looked better at RT as a rookie than he did at LG in his second year, so perhaps switch Britt and Glowinski? In this scenario, one of either Britt or Glowinski would start at RT and the other would play the utility role, capable of filling in at multiple positions as needed.

LT - Gilliam, Sowell
LG - Evans, Odhiambo
C - Hunt, Lewis
RG - Ifedi, Glowinski
RT - Britt, Webb

This line could play out in any number of ways. But I do think there is an advantage to keeping Ifedi at RG.

This line just got injected with much needed experience and veteran leadership, which makes me a lot more hopeful for what is to come.
Of those two options please don't go with the second one. I think they keep Evans at LG and possibly try Ifredi at RT.

kearly

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":27kieulg said:
RichNhansom":27kieulg said:
Hasselbeck":27kieulg said:

I digress. Evans is a monster run blocker and if Ifedi is doing as well as the reports have said he is, suddenly your interior line is pretty strong - and possibly even better if Lewis/Hunt win the center gig from Britt.

Gilliam and Webb/whoever they trot out at RT give me very uneasy feelings in my stomach though. This OL is going to be an adventure yet again.

Sounds a bit like the Panthers O-line. Lets just hope Seattle doesn't meet Denver in the SB.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":naef8c8t said:
Hasselbeck":naef8c8t said:
RichNhansom":naef8c8t said:
Hasselbeck":naef8c8t said:

Sounds a bit like the Panthers O-line. Lets just hope Seattle doesn't meet Denver in the SB.
Well Denver might have a really good defense but Mark Sánchez. I see Denver's best case scenario as being good enough to reach the AFCC but that's a big reach.

Fade

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":2zo30ri1 said:
Mathis had a very so-so year and didn't re-sign with Denver....he was not a difference maker at all or by any stretch of imagination....Obviously Cary Williams made no sense, but I don't think Mathis would have helped Seattle much even if SEA had the room for him by not signing Williams....Evans this year at nowhere near 4M is much better than signing Mathis last year at 5M, while you had Kam holding out asking for more money.....not exactly the same scenario.
What $5M? He signed with Denver for $2.5M w/roster bonuses that took it to $2.9M and change. Seattle could of got it done easily for $3M w/roster bonuses getting it to $3.5M, but Cable liked Britt at LG so they didn't do the deal.

Britt was one of the worst LGs in the game last year. Mathis would've been a huge upgrade over him. Drew Nowak didn't even belong on a roster, let alone the field. PCJS are not playing around this year. I wouldn't be shocked if they made a move for another established O-Lineman in the next 2 weeks if some of these young guys don't progress. They really learned from last season, and don't want to repeat that mistake, because they know in the end that is what cost them their season last year.

Dream O-Line

LT Gilliam
LG Glow
-C Lewis, w/Hunt to challenge after the 1st AZ game.
RG Evans
RT Ifedi

6th Another Veteran
7th Odhiambo
8th Hunt
9th Britt

Cut Webb, Cut Sowell

sdog1981

Reaction score
hawknation2016":2ofpwg29 said:

LT - Gilliam, Sowell
LG - Evans, Odhiambo
C - Hunt, Lewis
RG - Ifedi, Britt
RT - Glowinski, Webb

LT - Gilliam, Sowell
LG - Evans, Odhiambo
C - Hunt, Lewis
RG - Ifedi, Glowinski
RT - Britt, Webb

If last year taught us anything Tom Cable will pick a random line combo to start the season that will lead to a few head scratching losses. Then put in a more logical one after week 8.

Right now my best guess is this.

LT Gilliam
LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Evans
RT Ifedi

Fade

Reaction score
sdog1981":3r06z270 said:
If last year taught us anything Tom Cable will pick a random line combo to start the season that will lead to a few head scratching losses. Then put in a more logical one after week 8.

Right now my best guess is this.

LT Gilliam
LG Glowinski
C Britt
RG Evans
RT Ifedi
You would be correct with that lineup, but I'm hoping Cable can come to his senses and start Patrick Lewis at the Center spot. I think the fan base will riot if Britt looks awful in the pre-season, and he is still starting come week 1. My gut feeling is he will have a quick hook, but you never know with how stubborn Cable can be.