Jahri Evans signed

Fade

Reaction score
Willyeye":2nht70pl said:
I think blaming Cable or Nowak for the O-Line performance in the first half of the season last year is an oversimplification. I know it's just PFF, but Nowak was actually graded higher than Lewis last year. I'm not saying that Nowak is a great Center, but I don't believe Lewis has a high ceiling either...I feel that maybe his play-calling was suspect just like Nowak's. I believe that if Lewis had been our Center for the first half of the season, the line would have looked just as bad. There are just too many mitigating circumstances to blame it all on Nowak. The schedule was exponentially tougher in the first half of the season. Once Lewis came in, the quality of the defenses they faced went way down. And when they played teams with great D-Lines or Front 7's, the results weren't really any different than in the first half. The Rams and Panthers made them look really bad, and yes, LEWIS WAS AT CENTER. And then there's the fact that Bevell changed things up, and used a lot more quick release plays in the second half of the season. And I think Wilson responded well to that change. But to think that Lewis is a great Center and the O-Line was perfect with Lewis in it is actually silly.
W-L
Nowak 2-4 w/Wilson sacked 27 times. Prorated for 72 sacks over 16 games.
Lewis 8-2 w/Wilson sacked 18 times. (4 in Lewis' 1st start) after that only 14 in 9 games. Prorated for 25 sacks over 16 games.

72 vs 25.

Lewis settled down the line, he is not a world beater by any means, but he is steady. He could call the protections. When Nowak was in there Russell had to handle the protections.

Now Cable is trying to force Britt at the position after Britt failed at 2 others in 2 years. There is already so much turnover across the O-Line. Why not keep your same center who has won 80% of the games he has started the last 2 years, and let the other players at their new positions settle in, then mid year open up competition at the position when you feel good about the other 4 spots?

Surely you can understand the apprehension from the fan base & media who cover the Seahawks to go down this road again. (Going with an inexperienced Center.)

Jville

Reaction score
Evans on the field

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762381203701846016[/tweet]

HawkGA

Reaction score
Jville":20dxsg4p said:
Evans on the field

I will never understand their plans with the Oline.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Jville":3a5hip0f said:
Evans on the field

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]
This is what I susupected would be Evans role even though he has normally been on the right side. I don't think they have any intention of moving Ifedi out to Tackle (at least this year anyway).
Most likely he is there to push Glowinski at left guard plus he gives good insurance should anyone go down.

dogorama

Reaction score
Fade":2wgoyhf2 said:
Willyeye":2wgoyhf2 said:
I think blaming Cable or Nowak for the O-Line performance in the first half of the season last year is an oversimplification. I know it's just PFF, but Nowak was actually graded higher than Lewis last year. I'm not saying that Nowak is a great Center, but I don't believe Lewis has a high ceiling either...I feel that maybe his play-calling was suspect just like Nowak's. I believe that if Lewis had been our Center for the first half of the season, the line would have looked just as bad. There are just too many mitigating circumstances to blame it all on Nowak. The schedule was exponentially tougher in the first half of the season. Once Lewis came in, the quality of the defenses they faced went way down. And when they played teams with great D-Lines or Front 7's, the results weren't really any different than in the first half. The Rams and Panthers made them look really bad, and yes, LEWIS WAS AT CENTER. And then there's the fact that Bevell changed things up, and used a lot more quick release plays in the second half of the season. And I think Wilson responded well to that change. But to think that Lewis is a great Center and the O-Line was perfect with Lewis in it is actually silly.
W-L
Lewis 8-2 w/Wilson sacked 18 times. (4 in Lewis' 1st start) after that only 14 in 9 games. Prorated for 25 sacks over 16 games.

72 vs 25. he can make

Lewis settled down the line, he is not a world beater by any means, but he is steady. He could call the protections. When Nowak was in there Russell had to handle the protections.

Now Cable is trying to force Britt at the position after Britt failed at 2 others in 2 years. There is already so much turnover across the O-Line. Why not keep your same center who has won 80% of the games he has started the last 2 years, and let the other players at their new positions settle in, then mid year open up competition at the position when you feel good about the other 4 spots?

Surely you can understand the apprehension from the fan base & media who cover the Seahawks to go down this road again. (Going with an inexperienced Center.)

This is my point w/Cable, granted he hasn't been given much to work with as almost all of our o-line has been allowed to leave once their contracts were up. Everyone says they weren't that good anyway and not worth the money they wanted BUT they got us to TWO Super Bowls, how bad could they be? I don't really know how good or not Cable is, but the fact that he thinks he can make an NFL starting center out of thin air is disturbing. I think just about everyone was shocked when he announced that he was moving Britt to center after last year's foibles. We have a Super Bowl window that may not last once these core players move on, that is why there is so much justifiable apprehension over this endless experimentation.

cheese22

Reaction score
kf3339":3ltxna13 said:
El Caliente":3ltxna13 said:
As a Saints fan, I am happy that Evans found a landing spot. He isn't as good as he once was, but he is good every once and a while. If Cable's job depends on the oline panning out, and the oline is counting on Evans for anything more than leadership, than Cable is being set up behind the 8 ball. Evans has dropped off heavy from where he was even 3 years ago. His play is night and day different from what his name might make one believe. You should hope that he can help coach up your young kids, because that is one thing he did with our young guards.

I am not sure how you guys use your guards. In NO we use the guards like tackles, and count on them heavily. That said, it is telling how far Evans has fallen given that we let him go with no proven replacement.

I wish him luck, and I wish you guys luck (except for when you guys come to New Orleans).

You let him go because he wouldn't take a pay cut. Stop trying to make it sound like it was because he no longer could play the game. Worry about your own team.

This sounds like someone trying to convince themself to believe something by saying it over and over...and over...and over....

Jville

Reaction score
HawkGA":6zfyay9x said:
Jville":6zfyay9x said:
Evans on the field

I will never understand their plans with the Oline.

Each year ... they look for the best starting 5. Plus the best couple of versatile backups. Plus 2 or 3 developmental projects showing strong improvement. Competition is the plan.

NewJerseyHawk

Reaction score
Gilliam, Evans, Glowinski, Ifedi, Odi is your eventual 5....posted this yesterday and this initial move shows they are not looking to tip their hand and move Ifedi outside....we need to keep Russell from running from his life inside the tackles vs Donald, Suh and others and that's the game plan this year.....and I think Evans and Ifedi with Glowinski are the three best/strongest wall we can place inside.....We had survived with subpar tackle play over the years, but have done the best with our interior 3 lineman doing well.

OR

Gilliam, Glowinski, Britt, Evans, Ifedi.....this is the weakest of the lineups because you don't have security with Ifedi to Russell's immediate vision to the right side of the line....

The only question is whether Odi outplays Webb and whether Cable/PC starts the truest talent vs leaning on past game experience.....If Odi is decent and Britt struggles as expected, Glowinski will slide inside at Center and Evans will be the LG....

The 2nd and 3rd quarters of games when Odi plays RT are going to be the most watched plays against the KC second stringers.....this is where Gilliam held up OK at times and we are acting as if Glowinski is a seasoned vet because he played ONE game against Arizona.....If we are that confident about Glowinski, we should feel really confident about Odi and Ifedi playing and playing well this year.

titan3131

Reaction score
Always compete. Just because he has a history of good play doesn't guarantee anything on this team.

Always compete

El Caliente

Reaction score
kf3339":3kfiuru1 said:
El Caliente":3kfiuru1 said:
As a Saints fan, I am happy that Evans found a landing spot. He isn't as good as he once was, but he is good every once and a while. If Cable's job depends on the oline panning out, and the oline is counting on Evans for anything more than leadership, than Cable is being set up behind the 8 ball. Evans has dropped off heavy from where he was even 3 years ago. His play is night and day different from what his name might make one believe. You should hope that he can help coach up your young kids, because that is one thing he did with our young guards.

I am not sure how you guys use your guards. In NO we use the guards like tackles, and count on them heavily. That said, it is telling how far Evans has fallen given that we let him go with no proven replacement.

I wish him luck, and I wish you guys luck (except for when you guys come to New Orleans).

You let him go because he wouldn't take a pay cut. Stop trying to make it sound like it was because he no longer could play the game. Worry about your own team.
Actually, his cut was a couple of years in the making. 2 years ago he and Ben Grubbs both started to fall off a cliff (in terms of play...not like they went chasing Pokemon), so the Saints had them both take cuts. Then we traded Grubbs because he was the easier to move of the two (they were both on the block), then last year Evans took a cut, and this year rather than asking two long time Saints (Colston and Evans) to take pay cuts we cut the outright.

He is still a leader, and I hope he has a few years left in him, but he isn't on that Evan Matthis level anymore. As a matter of fact, last year we were like you guys, wishing that our team would sign Matthis, and move on from Evans.

sam1313

Reaction score
NewJerseyHawk":q2cmt0z1 said:
Gilliam, Evans, Glowinski, Ifedi, Odi is your eventual 5....posted this yesterday and this initial move shows they are not looking to tip their hand and move Ifedi outside....we need to keep Russell from running from his life inside the tackles vs Donald, Suh and others and that's the game plan this year.....and I think Evans and Ifedi with Glowinski are the three best/strongest wall we can place inside.....We had survived with subpar tackle play over the years, but have done the best with our interior 3 lineman doing well.

OR

Gilliam, Glowinski, Britt, Evans, Ifedi.....this is the weakest of the lineups because you don't have security with Ifedi to Russell's immediate vision to the right side of the line....

The only question is whether Odi outplays Webb and whether Cable/PC starts the truest talent vs leaning on past game experience.....If Odi is decent and Britt struggles as expected, Glowinski will slide inside at Center and Evans will be the LG....

The 2nd and 3rd quarters of games when Odi plays RT are going to be the most watched plays against the KC second stringers.....this is where Gilliam held up OK at times and we are acting as if Glowinski is a seasoned vet because he played ONE game against Arizona.....If we are that confident about Glowinski, we should feel really confident about Odi and Ifedi playing and playing well this year.

NJH,

I agree with almost everything that you said, but I have read that Evans, may be second the good guard back-up now that they plan to move Odi to RT. Aand I love the idea of getting Odi onto the field. I didn't like him backing up Glow because it would mean he woudln't see the field. I would have prefered to see Odi backing up RG in case they moved Ifedi to RT (if Webb turned out to stink), and just hadn't reallly considered him at RT I am stoked it is a possibility though.

As far as moving Glow to cente, however, I just don't see it. Do we know if he has ever played center? I know I hated the position, and think it is much more difficult that playing guard or tackle. As such, I would think that hopefully Hunt will take that position at Center if and when Britt doesn't cut it (and it is almost impossible to imagine anything other than Britt not cutting it). But I would be so, so happy with that line-up Gilliam, Glowinski, Junt, Ifedi, Odi - please make it so! :irishdrinkers:

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Sounds like Evans will be starting out at left guard.

Veteran Jahri Evans, signed on Saturday, suited up and did individual drills but did not take part in the scrimmage. He will get his first look with the Seahawks at left guard with the team already knowing he can play right guard, the spot he manned with the Saints.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seah ... -and-more/

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
dogorama":29sksp0t said:
kf3339":29sksp0t said:
El Caliente":29sksp0t said:

I appreciate his input, and I thought he was pretty respectful, no reason to diss him.

Quite so.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This reeks of desperation to me. Same as last year.

2015: "These are our 5 players! They are some of the best I have ever coached" ...after the 3rd preseson game... "We've had to make a change"

2016: "This is going to work out great with these 5 players" ....before 1st preseason game "We've signed a new guard."

This is horrible management! I think Cable has too much power and experiments damn much. Just coach, stop playing the mad scientist!

kearly

Reaction score
Fade":2b7g4i07 said:
W-L

72 vs 25.

Good post.

Throwing Nowak into the deep end of the pool was pure hubris by Cable. I hope he's learned his lesson.

The current center group isn't very good, but at least all three contenders for the job have a (relative to last year) decent amount of experience (Britt is new at center, but has many years of experience playing OL, and Hunt is savvy by rookie standards). Nowak didn't even have much experience playing OL when Cable tapped him on the shoulder.

kearly

Reaction score
It wouldn't shock me at all if Seattle had a couple of pro-bowl OL this year. Not because they deserve it, but because our offense is going to be amazing and mask a lot of OL issues in the process. Knowing how the typical pro-bowl voter goes, that will lead them to assume our OL must suddenly be really good.

I could definitely see Jahri Evans pulling a Jeff Saturday and making the pro-bowl despite barely doing anything of worth.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
kearly":z96rvzcd said:
It wouldn't shock me at all if Seattle had a couple of pro-bowl OL this year. Not because they deserve it, but because our offense is going to be amazing and mask a lot of OL issues in the process. Knowing how the typical pro-bowl voter goes, that will lead them to assume our OL must suddenly be really good.

I could definitely see Jahri Evans pulling a Jeff Saturday and making the pro-bowl despite barely doing anything of worth.
Is this a backwards way of saying it's all about the quarterback and that Wilson is elite? Hmm.... Jeff Saturday was an interesting choice for your argument.

OP
OP
bigskydoc

bigskydoc

Reaction score
Jville":19ps6c6q said:
Evans on the field

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]]

Geez, did Odihambo skip leg day?

RobDaHawk

Reaction score
bigskydoc":1vbmwjxk said:
Jville":1vbmwjxk said:
Evans on the field

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DaveBoling/status/762380458587860992[/tweet]]

Geez, did Odihambo skip leg day?

They seem to be about the same size as Evans' but he's standing a little further from the camera. But Sokoli''s looks like the reverse Popeye. His calves be large. Lol

Latest posts