Is Lock Going To Shock Us?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
BASF
Lock, Locke, whatshisname - nobody cares (well apparently you do but really nobody else)

I have watched him play enough to know his problems. So have plenty of others. Spelling his name correctly isn't relevant to his strengths/weaknesses.

He probably isn't a terrible guy. Just completely falls apart under pressure.

When under pressure, you revert to old habits - so not sure how this magical 'coaching it out of him' is going to work but hey, maybe he will become the next Tannehill - going from a kinda crappy QB to adequate to good QB that still isn't enough to matter.

But whatever. I guess people care because it is the offseason but QB went from a strength to a weakness, doesn't mean we cannot be at least barely average (I think we can) but QB won't be any help.

I don't think Locke has value other than as a placeholder. (Or Lock, whatever). If he HAD value, then Denver probably would not have forced us to take him, which is likely what happened. Denver fans are thrilled to be rid of him. When fans are thrilled to be rid of a player - there is probably a reason. Likely the INTs or bad QB play, but he doesn't look like a long term plan for us either ...so does it really matter?

Jville

Reaction score
I wonder if they are going to repurpose the set aside practice time for improvisation of past years. What other team benefit could that limited practice time be directed toward?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I wonder if they are going to repurpose the set aside practice time for improvisation of past years. What other team benefit could that limited practice time be directed toward?
To drill the "hit the guy in the third row of the stands" instead of throwing into double coverage. Don't make it possible for the worst that could happen to happen. No picks/no fumbles. Have faith in our defense. If you were Mahomes or Wilson you wouldn't be here now. LOL (give it a second)

Rosco

Reaction score
BASF
Lock, Locke, whatshisname - nobody cares (well apparently you do but really nobody else)

I have watched him play enough to know his problems. So have plenty of others. Spelling his name correctly isn't relevant to his strengths/weaknesses.

He probably isn't a terrible guy. Just completely falls apart under pressure.

When under pressure, you revert to old habits - so not sure how this magical 'coaching it out of him' is going to work but hey, maybe he will become the next Tannehill - going from a kinda crappy QB to adequate to good QB that still isn't enough to matter.

But whatever. I guess people care because it is the offseason but QB went from a strength to a weakness, doesn't mean we cannot be at least barely average (I think we can) but QB won't be any help.

I don't think Locke has value other than as a placeholder. (Or Lock, whatever). If he HAD value, then Denver probably would not have forced us to take him, which is likely what happened. Denver fans are thrilled to be rid of him. When fans are thrilled to be rid of a player - there is probably a reason. Likely the INTs or bad QB play, but he doesn't look like a long term plan for us either ...so does it really matter?
That’s a lot of typing to simply say you don’t know nothing.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Was all of those sandlot plays with Wilson running around like a chicken with his head cutoff Pete setting him up to succeed? Were those 4th quarter comebacks where Pete handed Russ the ball and chucked the playbook examples of a QB being set up to succeed?

Pete would nerf the offense and fall into typical 'Pete Ball' where the offense was so stagnant after a pick or two that it was almost impossible to win but somehow Russ found a way. Now Pete has a QB that throws picks on a normal basis and crumbles under pressure. I'm sure thats going to work out just fine.
Yes.

He started to lose quickness and looked what happened to the all those great plays and comebacks. Couldn't get it done in big moments because within scheme he isn't as good as an average QB

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Whether I 'don't know nothing' (are you southern?) is immaterial. Let's look at what WE know.

- Locke isn't a good QB.
- Locke wasn't that good last year.
- Locke had a problem with pressure and INTs.
- Expecting a QB to suddenly improve after years rarely works.
- We don't develop QBs well anyway.
- QB was a strength for our team, it is now a weakness.
- Denver fans were thrilled to lose Locke. Few liked him as a QB.

Looking at the above, it certainly appears Locke has little value and little possibility of a future as a consistent starter for the Seahawks.

So this is a lot of handwringing over someone who will at best be a backup. If this guy is a starter for more than 2 years, it won't be good for any of us.

toffee

Reaction score
Whether I 'don't know nothing' (are you southern?) is immaterial. Let's look at what WE know.

- Locke isn't a good QB.

Looking at the above, it certainly appears Locke has little value and little possibility of a future as a consistent starter for the Seahawks.

So this is a lot of handwringing over someone who will at best be a backup. If this guy is a starter for more than 2 years, it won't be good for any of us.
Hawks invest little in Lock, if he worked out, good, if not? We have two first and two round picks next draft.

Denver?

Their worse nightmare would be Russ played well enough next year, then demand his $50mil/year long term contract. What can they do? Bronco fans are in love with Russ. He visits hospitals, he sent not one but five John63s in all bronco fan sites shouting down other voices.

Chuckwow

Reaction score
Lock does fine in play action and boot leg situations to TEs and RBs. The problem is when he is met with pressure in the pocket his feet are not squared properly to complete accurate passes. It becomes more evident with passes downfield when his left foot isn't squared away properly. All that arm strength means nothing and Locke loses accuracy downfield.

If the coaches can fix these mechanical issues and Lock listens he will be okay.
I need to spend more time on Lock now that it's looking like he'll start. You've offered me a great start point with your post. Much appreciated.

Rosco

Reaction score
My only stance with Lock is

- Locke isn't a good QB.

1.last year? He only started 3 games last year and had 0 turnovers.
2.he had less than a season and a half of starts with Denver. Hardly 3 years, which is normally what it takes to evaluate a QB.

Like some Denver fans, you’ve jumped the gun on your opinion of Lock.
Lock in the WCO that is similar to what Seattle runs is 4-1 with 7 tds to 3 ints. That’s with 0 nfl experience.
Not saying he’s the next Mahommes or Elway but he’s yet to show what he is as a QB.
Yo can’t make a evaluation on a QB with only 22 starts.(less than 1 1/2 seasons)

Rosco

Reaction score
Hawks invest little in Lock, if he worked out, good, if not? We have two first and two round picks next draft.

Denver?

Their worse nightmare would be Russ played well enough next year, then demand his $50mil/year long term contract. What can they do? Bronco fans are in love with Russ. He visits hospitals, he sent not one but five John63s in all bronco fan sites shouting down other voices.
His contract is going to require the approval of the new owner. That’s what is keeping a contact extension from currently happening.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Yes.

He started to lose quickness and looked what happened to the all those great plays and comebacks. Couldn't get it done in big moments because within scheme he isn't as good as an average QB

I know. Seattle only won 12 games in 2020 and 7 in 2021 when Russ got hurt.

Thinking that sandlot plays and giving the QB the ball in the 4th because the game plan wasnt working was the coach setting the QB up to succeed is asinine. Carroll himself even admitted he couldnt win without Wilson. Now we are going to find out.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I know. Seattle only won 12 games in 2020 and 7 in 2021 when Russ got hurt.

Thinking that sandlot plays and giving the QB the ball in the 4th because the game plan wasnt working was the coach setting the QB up to succeed is asinine. Carroll himself even admitted he couldnt win without Wilson. Now we are going to find out.
gameplan was awesome when you could read option, run Lynch, run Carson, play action, go long, extend plays, practice scramble plays etc. They practiced that.

when they couldn't run RO anymore and Russ can't outrun LBs or DEs anymore, the RO is not respected. Can't throw over the middle or throw a screen pass for the life of him, reverse spin moves turn into big sacks, yeah RW became much easier to defend. Just went 3 and out again

He was allowed to flourish until he became slow and could only throw deep.

Good news is we shall see.

Last edited:

Natethegreat

Reaction score
So has he, for example, thrown a goal-line interception on second down with the Super Bowl on the line? Now that would be falling apart under pressure!
Good grief now Russ folded under pressure is the new narrative of this board. Unreal, one of Russ' best traits of being unflappable and cool under pressure is now being assailed as a weakness. That interception had nothing to do with falling apart under pressure. It was an incredible drive by the offense and a player recognizing the play and making a gamble and play on the ball. Nothing to do with crumbling under pressure at all.

sprhawk73

Reaction score
I'm not even certain Lock will beat out Geno for the starting spot on this team. A lot will depend on whether or not he can prove that he's got the ability to not turn the ball over so much. His 26/20 TD/INT ratio doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence there.

With that said, when we won the Superbowl, it wasn't on the arm of RW. I love RW, but that title was won on the backs of the defense and the running game. This draft shows me that Pete is looking to duplicate that success and he seems to be trying hard to make a team capable of controlling the ball mostly on the ground while the defense keeps teams out of the endzone.

IMO, Lock isn't our future, but there wasnt' exactly a qb in this year's draft that inspired a lot of confidence for me either.

The way I'm looking at this, is a repeat of the 2011 season with T-Jack. We'll survive, but we still need to be turning over some big boulders to try to find that next long term quarterback to be competitive in the post season.

Totally agree kid, repetition in entertainment isn't very exciting but expecting a repeat of 2011.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Good grief now Russ folded under pressure is the new narrative of this board. Unreal, one of Russ' best traits of being unflappable and cool under pressure is now being assailed as a weakness. That interception had nothing to do with falling apart under pressure. It was an incredible drive by the offense and a player recognizing the play and making a gamble and play on the ball. Nothing to do with crumbling under pressure at all.
The pressure started when someone thought that play would work and "someone" didn't audible out.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Lock is not going to shock us, I don't think if I've ever seen a more skittish QB. Lock, in fact is the goofiest looking QB i've seen play the game. He looks like giraffe on ice skates when there is pressure on him. Hit him once and he completely loses it. I don't know if I've ever seen a skittish QB buck that trend. Maybe Hasselbeck is the last one I could think of, but he was a system QB working underneath one of the best QB gurus in the NFL. Even still, he would have at least a few WTF moments a game.

The thing about Lock is he has not seen much improvement as a passer since he's been in the NFL. Going by averages, it's more likely that he stays the same guy rather than improves. He's just the latest Sam Darnoldesc reclamation project. I expect similar results from him, Darnold was slightly better, but still pretty bad.

I don't think not taking a QB is necessarily an endorsement of Lock either. It's more of an indictment on the QB class. I watched a lot of QB footage and they all bad massive flaws, with the exception of Kenny Pickett.