Is Lock Going To Shock Us?

Nunya

Reaction score
lol some of y’all are funny. Like.. I really question your fandom to Seattle. Yes, I said that. Some of you are so insistent on writing Lock off already., as if you’ve watched him his ENTIRE NFL career.. I’d imagine it was a pain to focus so much on Denver on the same sundays Seattle was playing.

But what’s even funnier other than my post, is half of you “Russ sucks, Russell cares more about his image, he’s a fake he’s a square” the other half of you basically “were screwed because there’s not other talent that comes close to holding Russell’s jock strap.” Then there’s a small portion who are like Aros, which is “let’s give the kid a chance to see what he can really do” But even then ya wanna trash a thread about how preemptively were screwed, he’s hopeless and Geno is garbage.

It baffles me how if it’s not Russell or some rookie JAG like Willis… y’all are throwing fits.

Holy shit. Sit back and just enjoy the ride. If your not.. maybe the sports no longer for you. No reason to stress out over it or blast dudes who haven’t had Lockett or DK level talent let alone be at a place that wants them here.
Some people see the glass as being half full. Others see the glass as being half empty...filled with acid...smelling like sewage...and tasting like sardine water.

hoxrox

Reaction score
It's often that I see the term Game manager used in a way that suggests the QB of the discussion is barely worthy of his starting role.

Joe Montana was a game manager!

Of course I am not comparing Lock to Montana but both QBs have / had a bevy of weapons at their disposal and If Lock can get adequate protection and manages to get the ball into the hands of those weapons? Game management may be all we need from him.

Think we'll need more than a "game manager" Game manager to me sounds like someone who will hand the ball off, or be mostly limited to the dink and dunk short passing game.

I'd prefer a "point guard" - a dual threat QB who can run when needed, can pass short, can pass deep and distribute the ball to multiple targets (WRs, TEs, RBs) efficiently.

Whatever the case, the QB will have some weapons. Deep ball not always necessary. Just get the ball in the playmakers hands and let them get some yards after catch.

BASF

Reaction score
Agreed, that's why i wanted to keep Russ. He took us to the playoffs pretty much all his career. You just need to get to the playoffs and maybe with some luck who knows. I could have gone another 5 to 6 years with Russ here. After the HOF QB is done, then we can do this silly rebuild.

OH Gawd i think Drew's nickname is Drewsky. Cant get hyped at all with this guy. Then we have the QB who looks drunk all the time Geno. Both are terrible underpressure...I think this was probably Russel's greatest strength was his poise under pressure.
I find this take interesting, since in a league that is what have you done for me lately, Wilson failed last season in pressure situations. His one success was the come from behind victory against a floundering (lost five of their last six) Cardinals. Even that "fourth quarter comeback" we were tied going into the fourth quarter (how does that even get mentioned in comebacks or game winning drives) and never relinquished the lead. Wilson's contribution to that "comeback" was only the four yard touchdown run.

When presented with chances to perform under pressure last season, he was throwing into double coverage down field against two high when there was underneath guys he could have hit to move the chains and get us a victory. Carroll's response when asked in the press conference was he wishes that Russ would take the check downs. When asked in the Monday press conference about it, Wilson said, I know what I am doing, we just missed that throw (into double coverage down field where a check down would have moved the chains) and I am not changing my mindset.

m0ng0

Reaction score
b0000mshockalocka :) I honestly have no idea if Lock will even be good but it seems he is the best of what we have right now or at least the competition will sort that out this summer.

I am all for rolling with what we have now and seeing what our draft turns into, tweaking a few things here and there and go into next off season with our future QB and our new identity as a team. I am really hoping it turns into 2014 all over again. I hope we are competitive and our players develop, anything better than that is gravy to me for this season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well we had Dan McGwire and Stan Gelbaugh, now we will have Geno Smith and Locke.

This isn't going to be some sort of unknown territory for us.

And it kinda sucks to acknowledge we have nothing at QB. So completely understand people that didn't watch Locke last year and think he can be serviceable. (He can be serviceable, he just is horrific under pressure).

But it is an argument that cannot be won until the games start anyway. So this thread will just be a weird circular argument until then. (Maybe even after, we still have people here who insist Geno isn't a garbage QB...so hope springs eternal)

Last edited:

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
If our defense is what it looks like it could be, and our offense can move the chains we will have our chances at wins this year. It's just that for a rebuilding team this schedule looks very daunting. We'll need to get out of the gates quick to have a shot at a decent record this year. IF Lock is the guy and can do what Pete and Waldron want out of a QB with our scheme they could be a big surprise team. Either way I don't see our first round pick from Denver next year being better than #9 was this year, but we can always hope, right?

Nv_Hawks

Reaction score
Locke will go as far as our running game takes him. If we can run the ball effectively, this will take pressure off him. I just hope he’s skilled with play action and short intermediate passes, using all the field with TE’s involved more.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Locke will go as far as our running game takes him. If we can run the ball effectively, this will take pressure off him. I just hope he’s skilled with play action and short intermediate passes, using all the field with TE’s involved more.

Drew Lock already has rapport with Noah Fant, so I expect the TEs to be involved more.

Jville

Reaction score
Well we had Dan McGwire and Stan Gelbaugh, now we will have Geno Smith and Locke.

And it kinda sucks to acknowledge we have nothing at QB. So completely understand people that didn't watch Locke last year and think he can be serviceable. (He can be serviceable, he just is horrific under pressure).

But it is an argument that cannot be won until the games start anyway. So this thread will just be a weird circular argument until then. (Maybe even after, we still have people here who insist Geno isn't a garbage QB...so hope springs eternal)
Whoever wins the starting job will have the benefit of a true competition. Last year, Geno came off the bench and was limited to a small play book. This year they will have a fairer plan to get quarterbacks their snaps and build their play book. It will be a lot different. This will be a year in which we will more clearly see the Shane Waldron offense and who fits his system.

Russell Wilson took his offense and his show to Denver. Nothing circular about about that. Out with the old and in with the new.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Waldron ought to be looking forward to this season, lowered expectation, and QBs will actually listen and coachable.
Exactly This ^^ ALL Quarterbacks have holes in their game, even the greats, same with a lot of OC's.
We saw just a smattering of plays drawn up by Waldren last season, as I don't think Wilson was ready to let go of his 'Sandlot' play.
I believe Waldren will be tasked to incorporate a little more of Pete's Running attack into his Offensive formations.
I'm hoping that Drew Lock might still be coachable enough to alter his bad habit of staring down his Receivers.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Agreed, that's why i wanted to keep Russ. He took us to the playoffs pretty much all his career. You just need to get to the playoffs and maybe with some luck who knows. I could have gone another 5 to 6 years with Russ here. After the HOF QB is done, then we can do this silly rebuild.

OH Gawd i think Drew's nickname is Drewsky. Cant get hyped at all with this guy. Then we have the QB who looks drunk all the time Geno. Both are terrible underpressure...I think this was probably Russel's greatest strength was his poise under pressure.
"Poise Under Pressure"? LOL, Sorry, but HE QUIT "Under Pressure"

Scout

Reaction score
Lock does fine in play action and boot leg situations to TEs and RBs. The problem is when he is met with pressure in the pocket his feet are not squared properly to complete accurate passes. It becomes more evident with passes downfield when his left foot isn't squared away properly. All that arm strength means nothing and Locke loses accuracy downfield.

If the coaches can fix these mechanical issues and Lock listens he will be okay.

Hawknight

Reaction score
I personally am reserving judgement until we can see what Lock does with the direction of our new coaches. Pete said it himself, everyone deserves a 2nd chance. I hope Lock proves a lot of the doubters wrong. I stand with Lock for now.

xray

Reaction score
The QB situation seems set . Maybe they bring in Mayfield , but why ? IMO they are conceding this as a losing season ; and looking ahead to next year's draft and maybe a brand new QB for the future . This season will be relaxing with no expectations .

BASF

Reaction score

It is hard to take your opinion on Lock seriously when you continue to spell his name incorrectly.

Jville

Reaction score
There is also this .................

Coach Carl Smith, who had so much to do with getting Russell Wilson's career off to a good start and growth trajectory, is on staff as an Assistant Head Coach. That's in addition to Quarterbacks Coach Dave Canales and Assistant Quarterbacks Coach Kerry Joseph. I think the QB room will enjoy excellent mentoring support.

Smith previously served as the associate head coach of the Seattle Seahawks in 2018 after spending the prior seven seasons as the Seahawks quarterbacks coach (2011-17).
From 2012-17, Smith mentored Seahawks QB Russell Wilson to become one of the most successful quarterbacks in the NFL, winning Super Bowl XLVIII as the third-youngest starting quarterback in NFL history. Smith guided Wilson to 73 victories (regular season and postseason), which marks the most victories in a player's first six seasons in league history. https://www.seahawks.com/team/coaches-roster/carl-smith

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
As much as people don't think so. Pete sets up QBs to succeed and perhaps knew exactly what he was doing with RW

As much as Russ thinks he was held back, he may be surprised he set all those records and had great success because actually Pete really knew how to play to his strengths and make it easy on the QB

Can Lock hand off the rock and find easy completions to everywhere on the field from TEs to WRs? sure

Was all of those sandlot plays with Wilson running around like a chicken with his head cutoff Pete setting him up to succeed? Were those 4th quarter comebacks where Pete handed Russ the ball and chucked the playbook examples of a QB being set up to succeed?

Pete would nerf the offense and fall into typical 'Pete Ball' where the offense was so stagnant after a pick or two that it was almost impossible to win but somehow Russ found a way. Now Pete has a QB that throws picks on a normal basis and crumbles under pressure. I'm sure thats going to work out just fine.

Latest posts