Is Lock Going To Shock Us?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not so quick to write Lock off as some pedestrian, backup-type quarterback. Is he a future HoFer? Probably not. Can he be servicable in this offense? Quite likely. I for one am looking forward to seeing where he can take us this year and I have a sneaking suspicion he is going to exceed most of our expectations. At the end of the day, I plan on sitting back, releasing my usual stress and just have fun watching what this team can do.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I'm not so quick to write Lock off as some pedestrian, backup-type quarterback. Is he a future HoFer? Probably not. Can he be servicable in this offense? Quite likely. I for one am looking forward to seeing where he can take us this year and I have a sneaking suspicion he is going to exceed most of our expectations. At the end of the day, I plan on sitting back, releasing my usual stress and just have fun watching what this team can do.
Sitting back and watching to see what this team can do is all any of us can do, and I expect it to be a fun two year grind.
I HOPE Lock can become, in short order, just what Pete is looking for in the way of manager. He has the physical skills, same with Mayfield. It's decision making they have had problems with. Here's hoping that is a curable disease. I suspect Lock may be more readily cured than Mayfield.

hoxrox

Reaction score
It would be a pleasant surprise if he does. Some believe he didn't get a fair shake in Denver, and didn't have ideal circumstances for him to flourish there. Some say he just needs better coaching to develop. Unless we hire some consultants like a Holmgren or someone, we don't exactly have QB whisperers in the building.

It's rare that a QB changes his stripes or morphs into a different player. Alex Smith improved under Reid, but he was still the game manager he was in SF.

rcaido

Reaction score
I think Lock has a better chance to be successful rap artist than a starting QB.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Lock will be fine. He won't have any demands other than wanting to fit in and prove himself.
I agree with hoxrox that he didn't get a fair shake with Denvers front office and coaches. Very capable QB with what has happened with the draft additions. I think we are all in for a very enjoyable 2022 season.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
QBs don't generally suddenly get better.

But yes Locke will shock us. After years of having a QB that becomes better under pressure, or seems more focused - while able to create when the play breaks down?

We will have a guy that is decently solid but tends to lose focus and ability under pressure.

Locke gets much worse under pressure. Maybe he can fix that but if not, it will be a shock for fans used to QBs that don't get rattled.

hoxrox

Reaction score
QBs don't generally suddenly get better.

But yes Locke will shock us. After years of having a QB that becomes better under pressure, or seems more focused - while able to create when the play breaks down?

We will have a guy that is decently solid but tends to lose focus and ability under pressure.

Locke gets much worse under pressure. Maybe he can fix that but if not, it will be a shock for fans used to QBs that don't get rattled.

Or on the flipside, we may be shocked to see a QB who can see and utilize an entire field... utilize TEs like Fant in the passing game. It kinda goes both ways.

Own The West

Reaction score
Somebody mentioned Alex Smith above, and that's kinda where my expectations are. I noticed Pete used the point guard analogy again this Spring. It's an analogy he first used when they drafted Russell Wilson. I expect this coming year to be a return of being proficient in all aspects of the game. No more "Russ or Bust".

kidhawk

Reaction score

I'm not even certain Lock will beat out Geno for the starting spot on this team. A lot will depend on whether or not he can prove that he's got the ability to not turn the ball over so much. His 26/20 TD/INT ratio doesn't exactly inspire a lot of confidence there.

With that said, when we won the Superbowl, it wasn't on the arm of RW. I love RW, but that title was won on the backs of the defense and the running game. This draft shows me that Pete is looking to duplicate that success and he seems to be trying hard to make a team capable of controlling the ball mostly on the ground while the defense keeps teams out of the endzone.

IMO, Lock isn't our future, but there wasnt' exactly a qb in this year's draft that inspired a lot of confidence for me either.

The way I'm looking at this, is a repeat of the 2011 season with T-Jack. We'll survive, but we still need to be turning over some big boulders to try to find that next long term quarterback to be competitive in the post season.

hoxrox

Reaction score
Whomever the QB will be, he will have some legit weapons to work with. DK/Lockett. Penny/Walker. Fant (who is an upgrade over Everett). So if they play smart team ball and distribute efficiently, it could actually be decent and fun to watch. There's even word that the 7th round pick could develop into a Deebo-lite, a wide-back hybrid. Let's see what Waldron can come up with.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
If Lock can't beat out Geno then we are certainly in trouble. Lock needs to start. PC/SEA need to see what they got in Lock. Can he be a starter or a good backup? I hope he wins the job and plays solid football. Then Seattle Can sign him to a 3 year deal, draft a rookie in the 1st round next year to compete for the long-term starting job.

Someone above stated QB's don't all of a sudden get better. That's not True. Look at Allen in Buffalo, bad in his rookie year, below average in his first 2 years and became really good in year 3. Drew Lock has less than 1.5 season worth of starts and yet everyone has already labeled him a complete bust. I think it's a bit premature.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
If Lock can't beat out Geno then we are certainly in trouble. Lock needs to start. PC/SEA need to see what they got in Lock. Can he be a starter or a good backup? I hope he wins the job and plays solid football. Then Seattle Can sign him to a 3 year deal, draft a rookie in the 1st round next year to compete for the long-term starting job.

Someone above stated QB's don't all of a sudden get better. That's not True. Look at Allen in Buffalo, bad in his rookie year, below average in his first 2 years and became really good in year 3. Drew Lock has less than 1.5 season worth of starts and yet everyone has already labeled him a complete bust. I think it's a bit premature.
Allen got better in each one of his years. In year two he was a serviceable QB that did well in crunch time. Lock is not Allen. The thing I absolutely despise in Lock is his ability under pressure. He folds harder than I see most QB's, he makes Spazzelbeck, Matt Hasselbecks alter ego look like Peyton Manning. I don't see many QB's that are overly skittish in pressure become anything in the NFL.

I also haven't seen much improvement from year 1 to now with Lock. Some players just never are able to adapt to the NFL, I think Lock falls firmly in this category. Maybe we can get him to QB TJACK levels if we're lucky. People may blame coaching, but often times coaching can ruin a QB beyond repair, in addition to this some players are uncoachable. Calling Lock a bust is not premature, he's been in the league three years and he's already off his first team.

Let us call it what it is, Lock is nothing but a body to man the QB position. Pete Carroll understood that this QB class was horrid. I looked at them in depth and each one of these guys had huge, glaring issues, and played under really niche collegiate systems. The only guy who looked like he could be a first was Kenny Pickett when I watched the tape, which surprise he was the only QB taken in the first. I think the lack of movement at the QB position is more of an indictment on the state of the class than anything.

Last edited:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
We might use the middle of the field more. But since Pete does not focus on scoring - not sure what the benefit will be other than longer drives that end as FGs.

The concern is that our RZ scoring % is actually very good and much of that is or was Russ.

Watching a good % of those drives turn into FGs won't be great.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
The amount of people crapping on the best QB by far and away, this franchise has ever had, is laughable.
People taking whatever thing they feel he didn't do well enough and then trying to convince themselves that Lock is going to be better at that and somehow make this team better is laughable.
Lock couldnt beat out Bridgewater folks. Geno isn't much better. We downgraded massively at QB.
Or on the flipside, we may be shocked to see a QB who can see and utilize an entire field... utilize TEs like Fant in the passing game. It kinda goes both ways.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Lol. No Lock isnt going to shock us. Team will win 4 to 5 games this season with Lock.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The amount of people crapping on the best QB by far and away, this franchise has ever had, is laughable.
People taking whatever thing they feel he didn't do well enough and then trying to convince themselves that Lock is going to be better at that and somehow make this team better is laughable.
Lock couldnt beat out Bridgewater folks. Geno isn't much better. We downgraded massively at QB.

I don't think anyone said Lock is or will be better than Russ. I'm just not wearing Russ-colored glasses. He might be HOF, but at the end of the day, he wasn't the best fit for this team, at this time.

If someone were to ask if I would trade back all the picks we just drafted in exchange for Russ and his pending contract, I would say hell no.

Lock's not the answer. Geno's not the answer. I want the next Josh Allen which would be impossible if Russ was still on the team. That's not hating on Russ. That's looking ahead to a higher ceiling than what Russ could have offered this team, at this time.