Should this be Pete's last year?

• Yes

Votes: 93 60.4%
  • No

Votes: 62 40.3%

• Total voters

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sherman was correct. Pete has lost the team. The reason the team is in disarray is to the mishandling of the team since 2015. I appreciate what Pete has done for the Seahawks by taking them to 2 SBs and winning a championship. But he has gotten stale and the team is suffering because of it.

NJlargent

Reaction score
There are 2 reasons why the defense has looked decent. 1. Keenum. 2. Trubisky

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
nwHawk":1cozrszi said:
The offense, that's a different story. Russ should own that ship by now. Blaming Pete is wrong.

Pete is ultimately responsible for the continued abysmal failures of this offense. It starts at the top with his 1975 Bud Grant offensive scheme and his refusal to alter...anything. To simply absolve the head coach/Exec VP of Ops of all offensive woes and blame it entirely on the OL, the OC, Russ, injuries, the WRs, JS, etc, etc is foolhardy.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Fair enough, but you only need to outscore the other team by 1 point to win. You don't get style points for putting up 30 points each game. How many Sooper Bowls has Brees, Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan played in the past 5 or 6 years? Yup, none. Even Peyton Manning's 2015 Super Bowl winning year they got there and won because of the defense. In that time Pete's been to two SBs. New England's Belichick is the only other coach to lead a team to 2 or more SBs in the last 9 years. I understand we want the sexy and easy blowout wins, but in today's NFL a wins a win.

Who know's how last year would have gone if Blair Walsh never played for us. A good kicker goes along way. If I had to fault him on one of my biggest complaints it's not demanding the best kicker possible - but that can be a crap shoot. I fault John more than Pete for the last 3 years because I think John really got caught up with freak athletes and SPARQ for a while hoping Pete would make home runs out of every player.And, lately he's scaled back to slightly above Tim Ruskell's level, but with a much cooler vibe to me. Even John's still trying to find the sweet spot. As the old saying goes, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t."

Decimation

Reaction score
Yes. It’s time for him to leave. We all love the past, obviously. He won us our first Super Bowl and that was the most amazing feeling I had the pleasure to witness. Could have been two, but let’s not go into it.

Ever since 49 our teams has went through a downward spiral. We have all witnessed it first hand.

Our defense? Completely different. Not the worst, but not the best. Middle of the pack maybe? They’re better than our bottom 5 offense. That needs to be worked on or we’re going to be lucky to win 3-5 wins this year.

Again, I’m not a pessimist by any means, but this team doesn’t have an identity and we’ve been awful on offense.

On the bright side, our punter is hands down the best in the league. No question. We lucked out with him for sure. Also, Dissley has been fantastic too! I have a feeling he will help this team for sure. I love his explosiveness!

We’re a good team that has had to endure a lot of change. I hope this team turns it around and kicks some ass.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
nwHawk":1yrtmjkn said:
Fair enough, but you only need to outscore the other team by 1 point to win. You don't get style points for putting up 30 points each game. How many Sooper Bowls has Brees, Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan played in the past 5 or 6 years? Yup, none. Even Peyton Manning's 2015 Super Bowl winning year they got there and won because of the defense. In that time Pete's been to two SBs. New England's Belichick is the only other coach to lead a team to 2 or more SBs in the last 9 years. I understand we want the sexy and easy blowout wins, but in today's NFL a wins a win.

Who know's how last year would have gone if Blair Walsh never played for us. A good kicker goes along way. If I had to fault him on one of my biggest complaints it's not demanding the best kicker possible - but that can be a crap shoot. I fault John more than Pete for the last 3 years because I think John really got caught up with freak athletes and SPARQ for a while hoping Pete would make home runs out of every player.And, lately he's scaled back to slightly above Tim Ruskell's level, but with a much cooler vibe to me. Even John's still trying to find the sweet spot. As the old saying goes, "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t."
Nobody is asking for blowout wins, those are rare unless you're playing really bad teams on a regular basis. What needs to be addressed is the TOP and consistency on offense. The "win in the 4th quarter" mentality has cost the Seahawks a ton of games that we should have won. It has caused teams that should have been closed out linger. We were put in the situations that involved Blair Walsh due to Pete's offensive philosophy. Not doing anything until the 4th quarter is untenable, it contains a bunch of variables where if one thing goes wrong, the entire game is thrown. Sexy blowout wins are nice, but what we really need is consistency, and a ball control offense that sucks the life out of other teams. This is the style of offense that Peyton Manning won his last SuperBowl with, it's how the Raven's, Bucs, and early Steelers won. l.

The issue with Pete Carroll's offense is he constantly chasing the big play. People described him as being conservative, when in reality it is quite the opposite. Greg Knapp was conservative, Pete is the exact opposite of that. He has a Mike Martz streak in him where low percentage plays are called in odd situations, expecting to catch teams off guard and getting a big play. This leads to stalled drives, and three and outs. We've abandoned the run when we should be running it, and we're throwing deep balls with no set up. This has been a trend with Pete Carroll, and it is absolutely killing our teams, and putting the Seahawks in bad positions with a lot of variables at the end of games. Yes, we could have won many of those games last season, you want to know why that didn't happen? Poor offensive strategy, and a broken system that places emphasis on low percentage plays above all else.

In the next paragraph you talk about John Schneider being the problem. That is 100 percent BS. Pete Carroll makes all of the calls. He has the power to override anything Schneider does. Anything Schneider does must first go through Pete Carroll. It is how our system is set up. Blair Walsh is just a symptom of something much more sinister; a series of poor moves that have compounded on top of one another. It has been a trend since even back in 2013. At this point the Carroll regime has had more bad drafts than good. It is a valid question to ask "should we keep this guy around?".

Hawker8989

Reaction score
Let's say Pete is terminated. Would y'all be in favor of bringing back Holmgren? What about John Harbaugh if indeed he gets fired in Baltimore?

nwHawk

Reaction score
Which is why Pete got back involved with the '17 draft and tweaked the evaluation criteria. The last two drafts have certainly been different than the previous ones after our 1st Sooper Bowl.

Yes, Pete can over rule John but ask yourself this does Pete have the time to investigate everything. Nope, that's why you delegate tasks to employees and have the report back to you so you can make an informed decision.

If getting rid of Pete is the best way to reach another Sooper Bowl, then I'm on board. But I don't want to relive the early 90s just because Pete's not perfect.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
Hawker8989":rlvx2lrr said:
Let's say Pete is terminated. Would y'all be in favor of bringing back Holmgren? What about John Harbaugh if indeed he gets fired in Baltimore?
Holmgren is done coaching, he even said so himself. If it's Paul Allen that is doing the hiring (which it probably will be) I expect a big name with championship experience either at the NCAA, or at the NFL level. I always thought Urban Meyer would be called if Pete was shown the door or retired, but I don't know if that would still be the case after his latest scandal.

Spin Doctor

Reaction score
nwHawk":19rob2cy said:
Which is why Pete got back involved with the '17 draft and tweaked the evaluation criteria. The last two drafts have certainly been different than the previous ones after our 1st Sooper Bowl.

Yes, Pete can over rule John but ask yourself this does Pete have the time to investigate everything. Nope, that's why you delegate tasks to employees and have the report back to you so you can make an informed decision.

If getting rid of Pete is the best way to reach another Sooper Bowl, then I'm on board. But I don't want to relive the early 90s just because Pete's not perfect.
Again, everything starts with Pete, and everything ends with Pete. He can overrule, and he has the ultimate power to decide whether guys are taken. He spends the whole off season scouting, and going over tape, he is very involved in the draft process. McDowell was a Pete pick. Hell, Pete Carroll even got the power to chose his own GM.

Pete has peaked, he will never reach another Super Bowl again. I will tell you that much. Sticking with Pete is being mired in mediocrity, which is all we've been since 2015. What about Pete tells you that he can right this ship? Is it his long list of draft failures dating from 2013-2018? Is it the offensive system that is clearly broken that he refuses to fix? Perhaps its the trading away of all of our draft capital for players that either don't fit our scheme, or are just one year rent a players?

This team has been managed very poorly for quite awhile now.

Decimation

Reaction score
Hawker8989":vrbajfxu said:

Hell no. We need to get some new blood and not rely on the past. It’s 2018 and this team needs someone who can shake it up and take us all the way.

We’re not a bad team, but it’s inexcusable how we’ve performed overall.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Hawker8989":3spodjwh said:

There’s a guy in town that’s coaching a team that’s ranked ... he could do it

chris98251

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":basghwmx said:
Hawker8989":basghwmx said:

There’s a guy in town that’s coaching a team that’s ranked ... he could do it

Would rather have Jim in Michigan but Chris if enticed would be interesting also. John had a team built by Ozzy and has not done a whole lot since Flacco got paid. Jim took a team in S.F. that under performed and almost made them a Champion.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
nwHawk":2ceakyc2 said:
How many Sooper Bowls has Brees, Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and Matt Ryan played in the past 5 or 6 years? Yup, none.

Ryan was just in one 2 years ago.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The haters on the board certainly have a ‘Fire Pete’ agenda.

Clearly he has a few blind spots and is not Bellichek, but he is a good defensive focused coach. He needs to delegate the O more and butt out more in making decisions for the O.

The team under his leadership has done better than it has ever done before during it’s whole existence. Yes, perhaps the message from him needs updating a bit and maybe he recently has been more obtuse than normal but the point is he still has his team and his true message when it is followed by Pete himself is one which resonates and in fact works. Frankly I think he and John can rebuild the team. Some hard decisions may need to be made but I believe they can do it if Pete delegates some more authority.

The O has perpetually underperformed the D during his regime, and that needs to change and Pete perhaps will find that to be a challenge. However, most of those Jonesing for a change have no legitimate suggestions to replace him, and the negativity seems based on numerous suspect premises.

Count me clearly in the No! column.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
jammerhawk":jwc2fy4a said:

Clearly he has a few blind spots and is not Bellichek, but he is a good defensive focused coach. He needs to delegate the O more and butt out more in making decisions for the O.

The team under his leadership has done better than it has ever done before during it’s whole existence. Yes, perhaps the message from him needs updating a bit and maybe he recently has been more obtuse than normal but the point is he still has his team and his true message when it is followed by Pete himself is one which resonates and in fact works. Frankly I think he and John can rebuild the team. Some hard decisions may need to be made but I believe they can do it if Pete delegates some more authority.

The O has perpetually underperformed the D during his regime, and that needs to change and Pete perhaps will find that to be a challenge. However, most of those Jonesing for a change have no legitimate suggestions to replace him, and the negativity seems based on numerous suspect premises.

Count me clearly in the No! column.
Yes we beat a non playoff team ... lil late to the party jammer

Fade

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3avm62lk said:

Yes.

That is where the "hate" (It's not hate, it's truth.) lies. Level headed fans can acknowledge Pete is outstanding on Defense. Level headed fans also to should be able to acknowledge Pete is pretty damned bad on offense, both in personnel decisions, and schematically. It drags down the team, and keeps them from being their best.

Beating Jason Garrett and the Cowboys at home, and trying to use it as an "I told you so" moment proves how bad things have gotten. "Pete" Ball won this week, and good job by him for tweaking some things, (feeding Carson, and more quick passes) but we aren't out of the woods yet.

I want the team to continue to run the ball, and continue to win games. But I call it like it is. Don't confuse truth with hate.

chris98251

Reaction score
Pete keeping his nose out of the offense was the key, over managing the team hurts, letting the guys do their jobs and just working with them on game plans is the key, game day let them do their jobs.

Latest posts